Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do you think James Naismith and Pop Warner...
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Do you think James Naismith and Pop Warner...
Do you think they could have imagined how big the NFL, NBA and college sports would have grown? Sure Naismith was Kansas' first head coach but he never got to the point where college basketball was much more than a YMCA league on steroids.
12-09-2015 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Do you think James Naismith and Pop Warner...
Naismith died in 1939 and Warner died in 1954. I don't think either one of them could have envisioned the huge economic impact of sports on American life and media in the present-day.
12-09-2015 03:29 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
Pop Warner coached some pretty big games back in his day, especially for Carlisle Indian School. I think he probably had an inkling of how big football could be. But honestly, how on earth could any of them reasonably know how big sports are today. They could never even have imagined the technology we have today, the amount of people in our country, or simply how greed runs sports.

So although I believe both of them understood how much people loved their respective sports, there is simply no way they could know how big they have become.
12-09-2015 03:38 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
Naismith is the only coach in KU history to have a losing record. He's also famous for having told Phog Allen "You don't coach basketball, Forrest; you play it.". While I think he knew how beloved it had become at KU, I think he'd be surprised at just how big college hoops has become.
12-09-2015 04:31 PM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
The Golden Age of Sports ran from 1919-1930 and college football was one of the kings then. Warner was coaching at Pittsburgh and Stanford. He would have had the better inkling than Naismith.
12-09-2015 04:46 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(12-09-2015 03:19 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Do you think they could have imagined how big the NFL, NBA and college sports would have grown? Sure Naismith was Kansas' first head coach but he never got to the point where college basketball was much more than a YMCA league on steroids.

I remember when I was a boy back in the 50's, an Ole Miss head basketball coach stepped down and received a raise when he took a football assistant coach position at the same school.
12-10-2015 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
"Head basketball coach" was not a full-time position at the University of Florida until the 1960s. Before then, that job was done by (typically) an assistant football coach who needed some extra income.

As recently as 1963, the head coach at Auburn (Joel Eaves) was expected to serve as the chief scout for Auburn's football opponents. Eaves had been the hoops coach since 1949 and had some real success. But you get one guess which job was considered more important in the eyes of the Athletic Admin. on the Plains.
12-10-2015 03:36 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Pay-for-play was huge deal in the 30s - the Ivies stood out because they refused to pay. In 1936 the AD at Cornell wrote, "there has been a strong drift among the eight or ten universities of the East which see a good deal of one another in sport toward a closer bond of confidence and cooperation and toward the formation of a common front against the threat of a breakdown in the ideals of amateur sport in the interests of supposed expediency."

By the 40s gambling was a huge part of college sports - an investigation in 1951 revealed that from 1947 - 1951, at least 86 college basketball games were fixed.

I think that anyone paying attention in the 30s could see the way it was going.
12-10-2015 05:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.