Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Richt Fired At Georgia.
Bookmark and Share
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Richt Fired At Georgia.
I love the schools who have leaders who place their universities on such a high pedestal. We just put the Les Miles saga to bed last night, and now this...
11-29-2015 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Richt Fired At Georgia.
(11-29-2015 12:46 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I love the schools who have leaders who place their universities on such a high pedestal. We just put the Les Miles saga to bed last night, and now this...

Missouri should hire him now. Richt's personality fits in perfectly with a program geared to Pinkel. His ability to recruit top talent out of Florida and Georgia will not be lost and those he was working with this year might be flipped. IMO, he is exactly what the Tigers need and a fresh start will give him some fire back as well.

BTW: All of the early talk I heard about Jimbo Fisher leaving was centered around Georgia, not L.S.U. Just saying.....
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 02:26 PM by JRsec.)
11-29-2015 02:24 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(11-29-2015 12:46 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I love the schools who have leaders who place their universities on such a high pedestal. We just put the Les Miles saga to bed last night, and now this...

Could be to Mizzou's benefit though. Richt would be perfect up there.
11-29-2015 02:29 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2015 02:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Missouri should hire him now. Richt's personality fits in perfectly with a program geared to Pinkel. His ability to recruit top talent out of Florida and Georgia will not be lost and those he was working with this year might be flipped. IMO, he is exactly what the Tigers need and a fresh start will give him some fire back as well.

BTW: All of the early talk I heard about Jimbo Fisher leaving was centered around Georgia, not L.S.U. Just saying.....

Jimbo would be an interesting move up there. I imagine Smart is the fallback.
11-29-2015 02:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-29-2015 02:35 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

The "Standard Operating Procedure" in hiring a new coach is to interview all of the G5 candidates and Offensive and Defensive Coordinator's from the P5 all of which are what the press is used to hearing about. But, they will keep all existing P5 coaches discussions private. They do this generally out of respect and relationships with the programs that those coaches represent, but mostly because it costs them too much in both PR and future salary to handle it any other way.

I expect Virginia Tech exhausted big time candidates the minute they found out that Beamer would still be on the payroll there. Most don't like to have the revered old guy hanging around the athletic department.

Georgia, Missouri and South Carolina will hit the pressers with the usual suspects and latest hot assistant's names, until they have exhausted options for a top name in the P5 industry. A move of the latter will seem to come out of thin air, while the public gets vetted for the addition of one of the publicly talked about G5, or assistant coaches.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 03:25 PM by JRsec.)
11-29-2015 03:24 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Jimbo leaving Florida State for Missouri? Really?
11-29-2015 04:02 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-29-2015 04:02 PM)XLance Wrote:  

"I promise to read the whole post and nothing but the post so help me God." He was referring to Georgia and not Missouri. The earliest rumors on Fisher surfaced back just after the start of the season and were coming out of Athens, not Baton Rouge. We'll see. They were just rumors, but the reasons were interesting.
11-29-2015 04:14 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I just hope Georgia doesn't hire Bielema, or anyone else hire him. Not that he is the greatest coach. I just don't want to be looking for one now.
11-29-2015 05:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-29-2015 05:17 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I just hope Georgia doesn't hire Bielema, or anyone else hire him. Not that he is the greatest coach. I just don't want to be looking for one now.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The rest of the schools are more pass happy anyway. But Bielema needs to realize that in the SEC we don't screw up against Toledo by losing to them. Many of our schools play those games without preparing for them and that's why we play them too close for comfort. But none of us needs to continue to pull those kinds of stunts. South Carolina was really really embarrassing to to the conference with their loss to the Citadel, even if they did get ripped off on that last touchdown pass where they said they weren't set before the snap.

And while I'm on a a rant, I would love to see the SEC and ACC hire another conference's officials to call our games. There were homer calls by both sets of officials, but Florida for all of its problems couldn't get a pass interference call even when the FSU defensive backs tackled the receivers before the ball got there. I just think we would be well served to get Sun Belt, or MAC officials for those games.
11-29-2015 06:39 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

They say Richt is going to be sticking around Athens working in the AD. I'm not sure that is a long term proposition though. Maybe Richt wants a break before jumping back in? Maybe he's done with football in earnest though...I don't know about that.

I know he has other interests in life, missionary work among them, but at his age, I can't imagine he won't get the bug again. A head coach in college can be an awfully important minister if you think about it. It is his gift in life. College football would be better with him in it. I think he and a lot of college kids would be better off if he took a job with lower expectations.
11-29-2015 07:57 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Richt Fired At Georgia.
Richt would do well at Miami.

Jimbo to Georgia makes a lot more sense than to LSU but I think he's better off staying put.
11-30-2015 12:14 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-30-2015 12:14 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Richt would do well at Miami.

Jimbo to Georgia makes a lot more sense than to LSU but I think he's better off staying put.

Lenville, the gig at Miami is up, and has been up for over 20 years. The culture has shifted in Miami. Old Northern Jewish people are no longer migrating there in droves. Soccer is probably approaching parity with football in popularity among the young. The cost of football play is too high for those interested, and the University of Miami quit getting government money for CIA activities about the same time as their downturn started. They are cash strapped and are returning to what they were prior to the Cuban missile crisis. From their inception Miami football would have a great year about once a decade, above average years about 4 years out of 10, and were never a dynasty. The 80's saw extensive retirement of wealthier WWII generation adults moving South. It was the cultural zenith for Miami. And they had programs down there that reaped almost all of the local talent, which was extensive at that time.

None of those factors are in play today, at least not to the magnitude they were in the 80's. Miami has simply returned to what it always was before, only now attendance is actually worse.

It's a lousy job now. I'm glad the SEC took a pass on them in '91. To judge Miami appropriately you need a much greater span of time than just the last 3 decades. Two of those decades were an anomaly compared to their entire history.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015 01:02 PM by JRsec.)
11-30-2015 12:59 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Miami job is fools gold. Butch Jones would be the most likely to resurrect that program. Heck, moving into David Beckham's proposed smaller soccer stadium would help out a lot.

It'll be interesting who Georgia goes after.
11-30-2015 06:48 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Richt Fired At Georgia.
(11-30-2015 12:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 12:14 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Richt would do well at Miami.

Lenville, the gig at Miami is up, and has been up for over 20 years. The culture has shifted in Miami. Old Northern Jewish people are no longer migrating there in droves. Soccer is probably approaching parity with football in popularity among the young. The cost of football play is too high for those interested, and the University of Miami quit getting government money for CIA activities about the same time as their downturn started. They are cash strapped and are returning to what they were prior to the Cuban missile crisis. From their inception Miami football would have a great year about once a decade, above average years about 4 years out of 10, and were never a dynasty. The 80's saw extensive retirement of wealthier WWII generation adults moving South. It was the cultural zenith for Miami. And they had programs down there that reaped almost all of the local talent, which was extensive at that time.

None of those factors are in play today, at least not to the magnitude they were in the 80's. Miami has simply returned to what it always was before, only now attendance is actually worse.

It's a lousy job now. I'm glad the SEC took a pass on them in '91. To judge Miami appropriately you need a much greater span of time than just the last 3 decades. Two of those decades were an anomaly compared to their entire history.

Miami probably never will have a fan base the size of Alabama or fill a 70-80k stadium but that doesn't mean that someone can't win there. The recruiting ground is just too rich. Richt is a good coach & if SC & Missouri pass on him that Miami would be a good place for him. I think you're selling Miami short, just a difference of opinion.
11-30-2015 07:10 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Richt Fired At Georgia.
(11-30-2015 06:48 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Miami job is fools gold. Butch Jones would be the most likely to resurrect that program. Heck, moving into David Beckham's proposed smaller soccer stadium would help out a lot.

I agree that they should take the Beckham offer, that would help their situation.
11-30-2015 07:12 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(11-29-2015 04:02 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Richt would be perfect for Mizzou's recruiting. Problem has to be those protests might scare recruits off and Maryland/Under Armor is trying to get an interview with Richt.
11-30-2015 07:32 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-30-2015 06:48 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Miami job is fools gold. Butch Jones would be the most likely to resurrect that program. Heck, moving into David Beckham's proposed smaller soccer stadium would help out a lot.

Well Georgia went after the "safe" choice. But there may be life in Miami yet.
Richt, Mullen, Gundy, Schiano, Davis all have shown interest and why not. For anyone to be plunked down in the an area of the richest recruiting talent in the country automatically gives any coach a chance to be great.
The right coach and a few smart moves (including physical location) could put Miami back into the national spotlight.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 08:54 AM by XLance.)
12-02-2015 08:50 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Richt Fired At Georgia.
(12-02-2015 08:50 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Richt, Mullen, Gundy, Schiano, Davis all have shown interest and why not. For anyone to be plunked down in the an area of the richest recruiting talent in the country automatically gives any coach a chance to be great.
The right coach and a few smart moves (including physical location) could put Miami back into the national spotlight.

Not a bad list of candidates for a school who's "gig has been up for 20 years" & a job that is "fools gold".
12-02-2015 03:22 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-02-2015 03:22 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

Not a bad list of candidates for a school who's "gig has been up for 20 years" & a job that is "fools gold".

The proof will be four years out when the pudding is baked. Golden wasn't a bad coach either.
12-02-2015 05:28 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Richt Fired At Georgia.
(12-02-2015 05:28 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 03:22 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

The proof will be four years out when the pudding is baked. Golden wasn't a bad coach either.

Looking at what Scott did with the same players I beg to differ. Richt is the new coach at Miami, just announced.
12-02-2015 07:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.