Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should the SEC with or without realignment re-balance its divisions?
Yes and soon.
No.
Yes, but after realignment is over.
I'm not sure and here is why:
Only if additions come from the East/West and here are my reasons:
[Show Results]

Should the SEC with or without expansion re-balance its divisions:
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Should the SEC with or without expansion re-balance its divisions:
If yes then how would you do it? If no what are your reasons? What other suggestions or concerns might you have?
11-22-2015 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Should the SEC with or without expansion re-balance its divisions:
Yes, and its mostly due to Auburn and Alabama's cross rivalries. Switching Auburn and Alabama with Missouri and Vanderbilt actually balances the in conference rivalries.
11-23-2015 07:20 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Maybe its because of my age, but I really don't see the issue with the current set-up. Initially, the SEC East considered the better division and for the past 7-9 years the SEC West has received that honor. UGA, UTK and UF being middling to terrible during that period does not IMO mean the the AL schools need to move east.
11-23-2015 09:06 AM
5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri
(11-22-2015 07:40 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If yes then how would you do it? If no what are your reasons? What other suggestions or concerns might you have?

1. Missouri needs to be in the West, period. Makes no sense to have us in the East.

Ways to fix:

With realignment-
Add two West (of the oklahoma, texas, or kansas variety preferably) schools, move missouri west. Move auburn and alabama east.

W/o realignment-
Missouri and (either or)Vandy/Kentucky West, and auburn and alabama east.
11-23-2015 10:00 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(11-23-2015 10:00 AM)5thTiger Wrote:  [quote='JRsec' pid='12687392' dateline='1448239258']
If yes then how would you do it? If no what are your reasons? What other suggestions or concerns might you have?

With Realignment

Add Florida St., Clemson, Oklahoma, Nebraska, NC State and Virginia Tech and go 4 divisions with one "rival" cross-over.

WEST: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas
SOUTH: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., LSU
EAST: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt
ATLANTIC: Florida St., Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, Kentucky

Go to a 10-game schedule: 4 division, 1 "rival", and rotate 5 games among the other 14. Play everyone in the conference at least once every 3 years.

Cross-over rivals:
Played Last Week
Florida-Florida St.
South Carolina-Clemson
LSU-Texas A&M

Played in October/November
Alabama-Tennessee
Auburn-Georgia
Kentucky-Vanderbilt
Rotate: Arkansas/Missouri/Oklahoma/Nebraska-Ole Miss/Mississippi St./Virginia Tech/NC State

Without Realignment
Move Missouri and Vanderbilt to the West with Auburn and Alabama in the East. Go to a 9-game schedule: 6 division, 1 "rival" cross-over, and rotate 2 games among the other 6. Play everyone in the conference at least once every 3 years.
"Rival" cross-overs:

Vanderbilt-Tennessee
Missouri-Kentucky
LSU-Alabama
Arkansas-Auburn
Rotate: Mississippi St./Ole Miss/Texas A&M-Georgia/South Carolina/Florida
11-23-2015 01:00 PM
YNot Offline
All American

Meanwhile, after the loss of Nebraska, the B1G adds UNC, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Syracuse, Pitt, and affiliates with Notre Dame and Texas!

NORTH: Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, Michigan St.
WEST: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas
CENTRAL: Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana
EAST: Rutgers, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt
SOUTH: UNC, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech

The B1G goes to a 10-game schedule; 3 division games and 7 rotating among the other 20. Play everyone in conference at least once every 3 years. Notre Dame and Texas agree to play 5 annual B1G games - one against each division.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 01:11 PM by YNot.)
11-23-2015 01:10 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

PAC 12 grabs Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma St., Kansas St., and Iowa St. and simply adds a 6-team East division.

West Virginia, Louisville, Miami, Wake, Boston College, Baylor join forces under the Big 14 trademark and grab Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, Navy, UCF, USF, SMU, and Rice.

NORTH: Boston College, Miami, Wake, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, UConn
SOUTH: Navy, Memphis, Baylor, SMU, Rice, USF, UCF
11-23-2015 01:24 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Better to wait until a couple of new teams are added, but you could do this...

Northwest: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Southeast: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Permanent rivals:

Ole Miss-Mississippi State
LSU-Alabama
Texas A&M-Auburn
Arkansas-Florida
Kentucky-Tennessee
Missouri-Georgia
Vanderbilt-South Carolina
11-23-2015 04:08 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

My favorite realignment with 14 teams is the division-less schedule. I know it won't happen, but it preserves almost all the rivalries people care about while allowing teams from across the conference to play each other more frequently.
11-23-2015 04:12 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(11-23-2015 04:12 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  My favorite realignment with 14 teams is the division-less schedule. I know it won't happen, but it preserves almost all the rivalries people care about while allowing teams from across the conference to play each other more frequently.

That's how I feel. Make every team select 4 or 5 permanent rivals and then rotate the rest. Top two teams play in Atlanta.
11-23-2015 06:44 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

If the SEC were to expand, I would like to see pods with a permanent rival. Combine two pods to for divisions for that year and keep shifting them.

For instance, and my favorite:
Pod1: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska
Pod2: LSU, Texas A&M, MSU, Ole Miss
Pod3: Alabama, Auburn, Vandy, Kentucky
Pod4: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

TV would decide the match-ups of overlapping permanent rivals. For instance, if pods 1 & 2 form a division and pods 3 & 4 do as well, TV would pick one school from the division one shared crossover game (Ark, A&M, Neb, LSU) to play against (Alabama, Tenn, Auburn, Georgia) that season to fill the void of the missing game. If Pods 1&4 and 2&3 were divisions, (Florida, Mizzou, Oklahoma, South Carolina) vs (MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy). For this example, no selections needed for combining pods 1&3 and 2&4.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 07:37 PM by murrdcu.)
11-23-2015 07:19 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-23-2015 07:19 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  If the SEC were to expand, I would like to see pods with a permanent rival. Combine two pods to for divisions for that year and keep shifting them.

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

TV would decide the match-ups of overlapping permanent rivals. For instance, if pods 1 & 2 form a division and pods 3 & 4 do as well, TV would pick one school from the division one shared crossover game (Ark, A&M, Neb, LSU) to play against (Alabama, Tenn, Auburn, Georgia) that season to fill the void of the missing game. If Pods 1&4 and 2&3 were divisions, (Florida, Mizzou, Oklahoma, South Carolina) vs (MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy). For this example, no selections needed for combining pods 1&3 and 2&4.

As long as one of the last additions is a content addition I don't care which two we get. We need to finish this out to get to this kind of format. I agree that having three annual opponents, and a rotation of the other 3 groups would be best. Then add 1 permanent rival for a total of 8 conference games and voila you have solved most of the issues. The groupings need to be comprised of natural rivals. But another method would be to go to 9 conference games and play the 3 from your division. 1 permanent rival from each of the other three divisions, and play the 3 remaining from a grouping every year. In three years time you've played all 15 of the other schools and done so with a 9 game conference schedule.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 08:19 PM by JRsec.)
11-23-2015 08:16 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2015 07:19 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  If the SEC were to expand, I would like to see pods with a permanent rival. Combine two pods to for divisions for that year and keep shifting them.

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

I have to admit, Nebraska would be a pretty cool addition, but I don't see anything like that happening. I don't think anyone leaves either the SEC or the B1G. Those leagues are too rich and powerful to be seen as a stopover, I think.

I would like to see 16 divided into 4x4 or 20 divided into 4x5.

Let's say we grab 6 from the Big 12:

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas
Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss
South: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia

Play 4 division games, 1 permanent rival from each of the other 3, play one more each from the other divisions and rotate every season.

With 10 conference games, you've played everyone at least once every 4 years. You get 4 division winners and a conference semi-final.
11-23-2015 08:54 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(11-23-2015 08:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

As long as one of the last additions is a content addition I don't care which two we get. We need to finish this out to get to this kind of format. I agree that having three annual opponents, and a rotation of the other 3 groups would be best. Then add 1 permanent rival for a total of 8 conference games and voila you have solved most of the issues. The groupings need to be comprised of natural rivals. But another method would be to go to 9 conference games and play the 3 from your division. 1 permanent rival from each of the other three divisions, and play the 3 remaining from a grouping every year. In three years time you've played all 15 of the other schools and done so with a 9 game conference schedule.

I'm fine with 9 conference games as long as all the other conferences are doing the same.

A permanent rival from each division sounds great and would allow great flexibility when forming pods. I like that idea, but just having three permanent ones would also work too.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 11:54 PM by murrdcu.)
11-23-2015 11:45 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(11-23-2015 08:54 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

I have to admit, Nebraska would be a pretty cool addition, but I don't see anything like that happening. I don't think anyone leaves either the SEC or the B1G. Those leagues are too rich and powerful to be seen as a stopover, I think.

Only reason I entertain that thought is if the SEC grabs Oklahoma by itself, the conference would have a natural opening sitting there. All OU would have to do is call up Nebraska and see if they want to join them. A more realistic addition would be Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Florida State and, why not, Baylor. I've never been a huge fan of Baylor, but I do respect what they've committed to their football program.
11-23-2015 11:52 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2015 11:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

Only reason I entertain that thought is if the SEC grabs Oklahoma by itself, the conference would have a natural opening sitting there. All OU would have to do is call up Nebraska and see if they want to join them. A more realistic addition would be Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Florida State and, why not, Baylor. I've never been a huge fan of Baylor, but I do respect what they've committed to their football program.

Yeah, Baylor I don't mind. I would prefer TCU though. When I think about the fact that Baylor was in a BCS conference for nearly 20 years while TCU was forced to languish among the mid-majors, and yet TCU has arguably the better overall athletic program, I get the idea that TCU has more potential to be a power in the long term.

On Nebraska, makes me wonder what could have happened if the SEC was ready and willing to raid the original Big 12. Possibly could have landed Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M as a group. Interesting to think about anyway.
11-24-2015 01:20 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-24-2015 01:20 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

Yeah, Baylor I don't mind. I would prefer TCU though. When I think about the fact that Baylor was in a BCS conference for nearly 20 years while TCU was forced to languish among the mid-majors, and yet TCU has arguably the better overall athletic program, I get the idea that TCU has more potential to be a power in the long term.

On Nebraska, makes me wonder what could have happened if the SEC was ready and willing to raid the original Big 12. Possibly could have landed Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M as a group. Interesting to think about anyway.

With Oklahoma you don't need T.C.U. to carry the DFW market.
11-24-2015 11:04 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

I have always been a proponent of a second Florida school and would be as well for a second Texas school. Both states are key to recruiting and having a second sound program in each state permits the rest of the SEC schools twice the opportunity to play in those states and would help everyone's recruiting in the conference. Leaving them on the sideline only helps other conferences into those areas.
11-24-2015 11:07 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-24-2015 11:04 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 01:20 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Yeah, Baylor I don't mind. I would prefer TCU though. When I think about the fact that Baylor was in a BCS conference for nearly 20 years while TCU was forced to languish among the mid-majors, and yet TCU has arguably the better overall athletic program, I get the idea that TCU has more potential to be a power in the long term.

With Oklahoma you don't need T.C.U. to carry the DFW market.

True, but does Baylor bring you a market you don't already have? I'm thinking more along the lines of who could ascend to national power status.

I'm good with a 2nd TX school as well, even a 3rd. The state is so huge that there are numerous strong programs. One of the reasons I prefer TCU is because their location makes it easier for local recruits to show up. Waco is relatively close to DFW, but TCU is smack in the middle of DFW. Is it better for the exposure of visiting teams to play in DFW or to play a couple of hours from DFW?

I don't see the two programs as entirely too different, but I think TCU gets the edge on a few factors.
11-24-2015 01:40 PM
BaylorFerg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Baylor

Permanent rivals:
Alabama-Tennessee
Ark-A&M
Missouri-South Carolina
Georgia-Auburn
Florida-Oklahoma
Ole Miss-Vandy
Kentucky-MSU
LSU-Nebraska

How does TCU have a better overall athletic program?
11-24-2015 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.