WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A few thoughts
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
A few thoughts
1) does anyone know when Beever's left the game???? Drew stated after he left we had a very hard time blocking from our left side.....
2) Too many mistakes in a game we needed to play error free...Zak scrambles and hits an open WR for a first down at the 35, no, holding call puts us back around the 10 yd. line, Davis drops a perfect pass, which would have been a TD, Zak fumbles on the BGSU 30 yd, line--costing us more potential points, Got the ball inside the 5 yd. line and couldn't execute-Zaks pass in the flat to Bogan should have been 6pts...but he threw a pretty bad pass,,, could have been 41-34, it was not to be.
3) If any of the unbiased on this board are realistic about this years team, just look at the roster makeup between us and BG....They have a ton of Seniors and we have a boat load of youth...this does make a difference..
4) here's a tip, it's easy to scroll past the perpetual glass empty crowd, and have a better day than you would otherwise...
5) If we have this kind of year in 2016, I'll gladly join their ranks.
11-12-2015 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

RE: A few thoughts
Bowling Green is just a completely different beast with Matt Johnson playing quarterback. He was phenomenal IMO. I thought our defense actually played fairly well against the pass, all things considered. It was our run defense(and tackling) that was surprisingly poor. There were numerous occasions in the 2nd half where we had Greene for a 1-yard loss, only to turn into a 10-15 yard gain. Very frustrating.

I have to also give Bowling Green's defense a ton of credit. I underestimated them. Their defensive line was putting pressure on Terrell all night.

After last night, I think BG is easily the best team in the MAC and I'll be shocked if they lose another game this year (bowl game included).

All we need to worry about now is taking care of business against NIU and Toledo. Hopefully we get another shot at them in Detroit.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 02:37 PM by Hoekjeness.)
11-12-2015 02:37 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
Here we go, just like Georgia Southern. "TEAM X was the best team in the world, they could beat the Patriots". When we lose that's how the story gets spun.

Fact is, we didn't show up, at home. Quit the apple polishing here.
11-12-2015 03:52 PM
Doo Offline
1st String

BG is the better team we made too many mistakes they pulled away pretty simple. Not a huge gap between these teams but there is a gap.
11-12-2015 06:42 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

Most of the "gap" was between the ears, uniform and on the sidelines.
11-12-2015 07:27 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I have a few thoughts on the game after Fleck's post game comments...

If he HONESTLY thought that the game didn't matter in the grand scheme... then why in the hell did he NOT put Flacco in there for a few drives when it was obvious our drop back and throw philosophy wasn't working... BGSU had shown that they struggled with a true zone read QB earlier in the year ...

ZT was having a bad day. Especially in the second half when Beavers went down... OL protected well enough for a quick strike and ZT kept holding onto the ball a touch too long... I think that we could have been a little more creative with our offense later in the 3rd and into the 4th... Defense was actually getting stops down the stretch and the coaches didn't make ANY adjustments to get the O moving ... would have been nice to just keep ZT healthy down the stretch and get Flacco some reps... if ... as Fleck said... the game meant nothing...

Fleck dropped the ball there ... in front of a national audience and the last home crowd of the season... didn't make any big moves outside of a couple times going for it on 4th down... disappointing.

If we are lucky enough to get through NIU and Toledo I hope we do something a little more on offense with regard to design ... BGSU was making it difficult all night for WMU to do what we wanted... and I really think that a larger response/change might have shaken up the situation and put BGSU on their heels for a few drives...
11-12-2015 08:01 PM
Advertisement

JPWMU Offline
1st String

I Root For: \/\/ |\/| |_|
(11-12-2015 08:01 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  I have a few thoughts on the game after Fleck's post game comments...

If he HONESTLY thought that the game didn't matter in the grand scheme... then why in the hell did he NOT put Flacco in there for a few drives when it was obvious our drop back and throw philosophy wasn't working... BGSU had shown that they struggled with a true zone read QB earlier in the year ...

ZT was having a bad day. Especially in the second half when Beavers went down... OL protected well enough for a quick strike and ZT kept holding onto the ball a touch too long... I think that we could have been a little more creative with our offense later in the 3rd and into the 4th... Defense was actually getting stops down the stretch and the coaches didn't make ANY adjustments to get the O moving ... would have been nice to just keep ZT healthy down the stretch and get Flacco some reps... if ... as Fleck said... the game meant nothing...

Fleck dropped the ball there ... in front of a national audience and the last home crowd of the season... didn't make any big moves outside of a couple times going for it on 4th down... disappointing.

If we are lucky enough to get through NIU and Toledo I hope we do something a little more on offense with regard to design ... BGSU was making it difficult all night for WMU to do what we wanted... and I really think that a larger response/change might have shaken up the situation and put BGSU on their heels for a few drives...

Dude, he said it didn't matter in the west race, but overall it did really matter. I think he's saving Flacco for these last 4 games. He not stuck in the Cubitesque mantra of sticking with upperclassmen when there's clearly better talent behind him. I think he makes the right moves down the stretch. He was clearly sandbagging this game. Holding his cards close.
11-12-2015 09:49 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

Game was simple for me to see why we lost. We couldn't generate a pass rush. Johnson is way to good to give time. We didn't block real well in the second half outside that first score.

Want to win in football, do it in the trenches. Generate pressure from front four, which we had none, and keep your QB upright. Zach was sacked too often, although he tends to hold the ball.
11-12-2015 09:52 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(11-12-2015 06:42 PM)Doo Wrote:  BG is the better team we made too many mistakes they pulled away pretty simple. Not a huge gap between these teams but there is a gap.

I agree. BG is slightly better and our QB picked an unfortunate day to have his 2nd worst outing of the year.

The defense had some breakdowns but I actually thought they did a respectable job overall compared to most of the conference against this team.

I will say this though. If we earn another shot at these guys, I highly doubt Terrell has this bad of a game again.
11-12-2015 11:14 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Did you watch the CMU/Ut game. On the snap the UT linebackers sprinted back into coverage. They had watched enough film to know that they could ignore the run and play action.

Our next two opponents will learn from last nights game. If Terrel doesn't find other targets the result will be the same. Frankly, Henry and Roberts deserve more than being downfield blockers. We've seen two balls to a TE this year and both were completed, one for a TD vs MSU. Franklin was awesome catching passes out of the backfield, and Bellamy is a threat to go the distance on wheel routes.

This staff has been very good at developing RBs, OL, and WR. But I'm not sure they've got the most out of the QB position.
11-12-2015 11:39 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-12-2015 11:39 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Did you watch the CMU/Ut game. On the snap the UT linebackers sprinted back into coverage. They had watched enough film to know that they could ignore the run and play action.

Our next two opponents will learn from last nights game. If Terrel doesn't find other targets the result will be the same. Frankly, Henry and Roberts deserve more than being downfield blockers. We've seen two balls to a TE this year and both were completed, one for a TD vs MSU. Franklin was awesome catching passes out of the backfield, and Bellamy is a threat to go the distance on wheel routes.

This staff has been very good at developing RBs, OL, and WR. But I'm not sure they've got the most out of the QB position.

Indeed, and the other was a TD at OSU.
11-13-2015 06:02 AM
Advertisement

schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2015 06:02 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 11:39 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Did you watch the CMU/Ut game. On the snap the UT linebackers sprinted back into coverage. They had watched enough film to know that they could ignore the run and play action.

Indeed, and the other was a TD at OSU.

The third was a completion on a first down play to Ernsberger at Ohio. TEs at WMU under Fleck are like what fullbacks were to Carr at Michigan.
11-13-2015 10:04 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
I know what people will say, but I watched roughly s 100 practices when Darnell and Cubit were here. Cubit was a master at teaching Qbs how to read defense and how to go through check downs.

There were numerous times against BG when he could have checked down to a wide open RB, but he never even glanced that way.

our OC mentored Joe Flacco at Deleware so I assume they know what they're doing. That said, we have two QBs who didn't develop and quit, and a starting QB who can't take his eyes off his target
11-13-2015 10:30 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I think the current staff has done an incredible job developing Zach Terrell.

However, I do agree that there's still room for improvement (moving around in the pocket, having a mental clock, going through progressions, etc.)

Simple fact is we don't know if that's on the coaches, or if it's one of Terrell's flaws. I don't think it's so black and white.

Let's not forget that Terrell has been one of the elite QB's in this league. We're kind of nit-picking here, and we're also making a lot assumptions based on one game.
11-13-2015 11:27 AM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
(11-13-2015 11:27 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I think the current staff has done an incredible job developing Zach Terrell.

However, I do agree that there's still room for improvement (moving around in the pocket, having a mental clock, going through progressions, etc.)

Simple fact is we don't know if that's on the coaches, or if it's one of Terrell's flaws. I don't think it's so black and white.

Let's not forget that Terrell has been one of the elite QB's in this league. We're kind of nit-picking here, and we're also making a lot assumptions based on one game.

Spot on!
11-13-2015 11:43 AM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

I thought the pressure he saw was the factor, and how the team/coaches adjusted, nor not, to it was as well. I don't for a minute think he became a bad qb for one night.
11-13-2015 11:45 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2015 11:27 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I think the current staff has done an incredible job developing Zach Terrell.

BGSU game planned us perfectly as the game progressed... but its nothing new... BSU made an effort to shut down Braverman... period. And Davis went off ... same thing happened Wednesday... Braverman got locked up pretty good and Davis had another big day... Problem was our OL couldn't continually open the holes for the running game, and had some issues protecting ZT...

Now... I am not letting ZT off the hook on that OL comment... He was holding the ball WAY too long on most occasions... waiting for the deep routes to "Develop" and not picking up the pressure that was bearing down until he was stuck with no escape... Now... I understand trying to get vertical... but when you just need first downs... and first downs that are only 6-8 yards away.... there is NO need to be holding on for routes that are that far down field under dire pressure... Live and learn...

Great thing for us... ZT is one smart cookie and he will make adjustments before next game... he will study his tape and be better next week... thats the great thing about rooting for a kid like him... we can be disappointed in an outcome and a performance, but we can also be encouraged by what we will see next week!
11-13-2015 07:13 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Agreed. Only 1 game against a large slate.

Keep in mind that WMU has chosen not to utilize their TE's as a receiver.

They reportedly have a bevy of Great WR's in waiting but we continue to see Roberts, Henry and Carrington. All who have proportionally dropped more passes than Braverman or Davis.

I understand Roberts is primarily a blocker. Well so is the TE. So that leaves you short a valid receiving threat allowing the opp to step up into the box and challenge the run.
11-13-2015 07:29 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH

Let's not forget that Terrell has been one of the elite QB's in this league
. We're kind of nit-picking here, and we're also making a lot assumptions based on one game.

+1.....
11-14-2015 11:05 AM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

Bad coaching by the admiral.
11-14-2015 11:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.