For those advocating the sale of alcohol at Tribe home games
11-11-2015 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: For those advocating the sale of alcohol at Tribe home games
Like I have said previously, limit it to 2 drinks sold per game and it will be very difficult to abuse in-house alcohol. Use your ticket stub as a punch card. New upper deck goal-line area perfect for a biergarten. Most younger alums would be more excited to attend the games.
11-12-2015 08:03 AM
JMUforBreakfast Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: jmu
Delaware sells beer.
11-12-2015 09:46 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(11-12-2015 08:03 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Like I have said previously, limit it to 2 drinks sold per game and it will be very difficult to abuse in-house alcohol. Use your ticket stub as a punch card. New upper deck goal-line area perfect for a biergarten. Most younger alums would be more excited to attend the games.

I like the idea; the only abuse I can see is people taking non-drinkers' tickets for punching (i.e., their kids, wife, etc.). If you've got 2 kids with you and your wife has agreed to drive, you could get 7 drinks and your wife get 1.

I feel like a wristband hole-punch system might work, but would be a huge pain to administer.
11-12-2015 10:32 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
Do we really think the ability to buy two overpriced beers will convince someone to go to a football game? I have no strong feelings either way but I can't really see it moving the needle on attendance.
11-12-2015 02:21 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(11-12-2015 08:03 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Like I have said previously, limit it to 2 drinks sold per game and it will be very difficult to abuse in-house alcohol. Use your ticket stub as a punch card. New upper deck goal-line area perfect for a biergarten. Most younger alums would be more excited to attend the games.

2 beers....haha..... Remember the Hospitality House at Busch Gardens??
11-12-2015 05:15 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(11-12-2015 02:21 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Do we really think the ability to buy two overpriced beers will convince someone to go to a football game? I have no strong feelings either way but I can't really see it moving the needle on attendance.

I have several friends who will do a reunion in the burg, but usually pass on the game (homecoming or not), because they "were never really into the team when they were in school." Instead, they go to the leafe or whatever. They have said though, that if they could have a few beers, they'd likely check it out. It's not really about increasing attendance right away, but trying to build a larger fan-base. The only reason I ever went to watch a pro baseball game is to sit in the open air, hang out with friends and drink a beer. Slowly though, I get into the game. There is some logic in trying it out.
11-12-2015 05:59 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(11-12-2015 05:59 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 02:21 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Do we really think the ability to buy two overpriced beers will convince someone to go to a football game? I have no strong feelings either way but I can't really see it moving the needle on attendance.

I have several friends who will do a reunion in the burg, but usually pass on the game (homecoming or not), because they "were never really into the team when they were in school." Instead, they go to the leafe or whatever. They have said though, that if they could have a few beers, they'd likely check it out. It's not really about increasing attendance right away, but trying to build a larger fan-base. The only reason I ever went to watch a pro baseball game is to sit in the open air, hang out with friends and drink a beer. Slowly though, I get into the game. There is some logic in trying it out.

Are you serious?
11-12-2015 07:22 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

A lot of fans also leave at halftime to drink some more and they don't always come back; Having in stadium alcohol would help with that to an extent. It would also make money for the team/Tribe Athletics, which is always good, too.
11-12-2015 07:56 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

I don't understand why you don't just sneak alcohol into the games. I've done it many times, the ushers don't care
11-12-2015 08:00 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

It isn't that much money. If 6k people buy their two beers at $8 a pop that's $96k a game. VT says they'll get 12% of all sales; assume W&M would get the same percentage and it works out to $57,600 for the season. I wonder if they'd break even at those numbers. Places like WVU and Texas can generate good money because they have large stadiums. You can only soak 12k fans so much.

Really W&M should use it as a perk for season ticket holders in the suites. They also need to do a better job of getting students hooked while they're students so they're more likely to stay involved. The improvements to Zable should help. Having edible concessions helps as well. Also helps to sell a good product, which W&M has done the last couple years.
11-12-2015 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
SMU made $350,000 from basketball alone. Football added another $200,000 and we have the same attendance as basketball
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 09:34 PM by Pony94.)
11-12-2015 09:33 PM
Tribal Offline

Busch is just down the road and they already sponsor our field hockey field. Why not get them to sponsor something at Zable & W&M Hall? While we're at it, get Pierce's to set up a BBQ stand and Retros can run a hot dog stand. This all makes too much sense. Local small businesses providing good food at Tribe events is a win-win.

Tribe1693 and I attend Potomac Nats games in Woodbridge. Ben's Chili Bowl (a "local" establishment) has a stand there and they seem busy all game long.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 10:12 PM by Tribal.)
11-12-2015 10:09 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

We do have the BBQ1693 food truck. That's definitely an improvement
11-12-2015 10:27 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(11-12-2015 10:09 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Busch is just down the road and they already sponsor our field hockey field. Why not get them to sponsor something at Zable & W&M Hall? While we're at it, get Pierce's to set up a BBQ stand and Retros can run a hot dog stand. This all makes too much sense. Local small businesses providing good food at Tribe events is a win-win.

Tribe1693 and I attend Potomac Nats games in Woodbridge. Ben's Chili Bowl (a "local" establishment) has a stand there and they seem busy all game long.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I seem to recall that a few years ago a local restaurant/caterer [I don't remember which one] managed the food concession at W&M Hall during the Basketball season. I also recall it was a financial disaster for the local company and they gave up the concession after a year or two.
11-12-2015 10:45 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

(11-12-2015 10:27 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  We do have the BBQ1693 food truck. That's definitely an improvement

I had that at the Hampton game. It was not bad. Wife had a pretzel and asked how old it was.
11-12-2015 10:56 PM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

(11-12-2015 10:45 PM)62Indian Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 10:09 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Busch is just down the road and they already sponsor our field hockey field. Why not get them to sponsor something at Zable & W&M Hall? While we're at it, get Pierce's to set up a BBQ stand and Retros can run a hot dog stand. This all makes too much sense. Local small businesses providing good food at Tribe events is a win-win.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I seem to recall that a few years ago a local restaurant/caterer [I don't remember which one] managed the food concession at W&M Hall during the Basketball season. I also recall it was a financial disaster for the local company and they gave up the concession after a year or two.

Said local restaurant did a horrific job with the quality of those concessions, so that may have had something to do with it.
11-13-2015 05:13 AM
wanm65 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(11-12-2015 09:27 PM)Rocco Wrote:  It isn't that much money. If 6k people buy their two beers at $8 a pop that's $96k a game. VT says they'll get 12% of all sales; assume W&M would get the same percentage and it works out to $57,600 for the season. I wonder if they'd break even at those numbers. Places like WVU and Texas can generate good money because they have large stadiums. You can only soak 12k fans so much.

Really W&M should use it as a perk for season ticket holders in the suites. They also need to do a better job of getting students hooked while they're students so they're more likely to stay involved. The improvements to Zable should help. Having edible concessions helps as well. Also helps to sell a good product, which W&M has done the last couple years.

It is already a "perk" in the current "suites" & will be available in the new suites.
11-13-2015 08:46 AM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Some of the coolest food combinations can be found at baseball games, especially minor league stadiums....Krispy Kreme hamburgers, or $25 hot dogs...
When In-Bev bought out Busch a couple of years ago their commitment to supporting the local community pretty much stopped, sadly . It would be great to get more local businesses envolved with The College and something many of us have wondered they haven't been, but somebody has needed to get up off their backsides and ask. Then, help support the business that supports The a College. As far as food goes, there are contracts with the company who runs the various cafeterias that cover what food is sold at all the venues on campus. It would be awesome to ramp up the game day atmosphere for every game, since this is what fans are used to when they attend other events, and I am all for it. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 08:55 AM by Tribe Fan.)
11-13-2015 08:48 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Some good ideas here. Keep it up. Virginia is taking pride in their wine industry. Maybe they could join in. Live music after the game could extend the action.
11-13-2015 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.