Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: TJ statue on campus
Bookmark and Share
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
OT: TJ statue on campus
Noticed some SJW at W&M covered TJ's statue in post-it notes that said stuff on them like rapist, hypocrite, slave owner, racist, etc. So now W&M is becoming another battleground for the social justice warriors too? These are the same people that got the NCAA to take away our two feathers because they were insensitive to American Indians! If W&M ever takes down the statue of our most famous alum because of some PC bullcrap, they will never get another penny from me when they call for donations. We should probably destroy the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. and burn Monticello to the ground while we're at it.
11-10-2015 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: OT: TJ statue on campus
...and shut down UVA... 03-lol
11-10-2015 09:58 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: OT: TJ statue on campus
(11-10-2015 09:54 AM)Tribester Wrote:  should probably destroy the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. and burn Monticello to the ground while we're at it.

Whoa, can't do that. The lead paint from burning down Monticello would endanger the eggs of some bird native to that area. Joking aside, I saw a online comment in the flat hat claiming construction workers whistling at female students is akin to rape. The ultra radicals are alive and well in Williamsburg.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 10:05 AM by mrjoolius.)
11-10-2015 10:04 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(11-10-2015 09:54 AM)Tribester Wrote:  Noticed some SJW at W&M covered TJ's statue in post-it notes that said stuff on them like rapist, hypocrite, slave owner, racist, etc. So now W&M is becoming another battleground for the social justice warriors too? These are the same people that got the NCAA to take away our two feathers because they were insensitive to American Indians! If W&M ever takes down the statue of our most famous alum because of some PC bullcrap, they will never get another penny from me when they call for donations. We should probably destroy the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. and burn Monticello to the ground while we're at it.

I have to feel that those who post stickers on TJ with comments such as you
mentioned lack historical perspective. TJ provided the frame work to eventually abolish slavery, although it was not a practical matter in his life time. I have seen no evidence that his relationship with Sally was anything other than consensual. Sure he was a hypocrite, but then who among all men, other than Jesus the Christ is not?

I grew up with descendants of TJ's from his decades long affair with Sally Hemmings (Martha's half sister by the way), who were very proud of TJ and their heritage.
11-10-2015 10:05 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(11-10-2015 10:04 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:54 AM)Tribester Wrote:  should probably destroy the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. and burn Monticello to the ground while we're at it.

Whoa, can't do that. The lead paint from burning down Monticello would endanger the eggs of some bird native to that area. Joking aside, I saw a online comment in the flat hat claiming construction workers whistling at female students is akin to rape. The ultra radicals are alive and well in Williamsburg.

One has to wonder if the complaint was from the person being whistled at, or one who did not get a whistle...

Joking aside, I have to wonder if the person making this claim has any idea of how truly awful rape actually is. My fiancee was raped while I was in the MBA program in Williamsburg and I have to say that the violation of a whistle is in no way comparable to the violation from rape. To claim them as comparable is just plain ignorant.
11-10-2015 10:27 AM
3xTribe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Whistling is like rape as Obamacare is like slavery. Do we really have to let the most extreme voices dictate the conversation? On college campuses the most liberal views get credence. In other arenas, the most conservative voices dominate. How about we opt for rational discussion instead?
11-10-2015 10:36 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(11-10-2015 09:54 AM)Tribester Wrote:  Noticed some SJW at W&M covered TJ's statue in post-it notes that said stuff on them like rapist, hypocrite, slave owner, racist, etc. So now W&M is becoming another battleground for the social justice warriors too? These are the same people that got the NCAA to take away our two feathers because they were insensitive to American Indians! If W&M ever takes down the statue of our most famous alum because of some PC bullcrap, they will never get another penny from me when they call for donations. We should probably destroy the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. and burn Monticello to the ground while we're at it.

It's not just now. W&M has been like this for a while. I remember my freshman year someone told me that we were the fastest left leaning school in the country. She was much prouder of that fact than I was. As for this specifically, I don't really get it. What's the goal here? To incite debate about a long dead president?
11-10-2015 12:42 PM
Sitting bull Online
All American

(11-10-2015 12:42 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  

It's not just now. W&M has been like this for a while. I remember my freshman year someone told me that we were the fastest left leaning school in the country. She was much prouder of that fact than I was. As for this specifically, I don't really get it. What's the goal here? To incite debate about a long dead president?

I would argue relative to our academic peers, W&M is one of the more conservative Universities out there.

Notice the short rein of power by Mr Nichols.

Our board is conservative, always has been, as had been our leadership, Nichols aside.

As far as students, they all tend to be idealistic until they have to start paying their own way.

Maybe it's because we stress history so much....
11-10-2015 01:16 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

some undergrad just discovered you could google things and wanted to share their newfound knowledge.

I don't think this is a big deal, unless it starts going further.
11-10-2015 01:27 PM
wm1981 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
(11-10-2015 01:16 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 12:42 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  

I would argue relative to our academic peers, W&M is one of the more conservative Universities out there.

Our board is conservative, always has been, as had been our leadership, Nichols aside.

As far as students, they all tend to be idealistic until they have to start paying their own way.

Where is Thomas Graves, when we need him?
11-10-2015 01:33 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(11-10-2015 01:16 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I would argue relative to our academic peers, W&M is one of the more conservative Universities out there.

That was actually one of the big reasons I chose William & Mary. I had always heard it was a fairly conservative school and had a very conservative BOV. But make no mistake our current student body is liberal.
11-10-2015 01:37 PM
Advertisement

Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

(11-10-2015 01:27 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  some undergrad just discovered you could google things and wanted to share their newfound knowledge.

Agree. There are extremists on both sides of the political spectrum that get way too much attention in this country. As a sort of recent graduate though, one of the things I was most proud of WM was how the vast majority of the community was capable of looking beyond the extreme viewpoints and divisive rhetoric that exist everywhere and maintaining healthy and respectful debate. Ignoring the shouting and getting to the substance. I hope that continues.

(And to note - those who gleefully highlight extremism by the other side are just as guilty of contributing to the breakdown in discourse as those creating the extreme viewpoints)
11-10-2015 01:37 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-10-2015 01:37 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 01:27 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  some undergrad just discovered you could google things and wanted to share their newfound knowledge.

Agree. There are extremists on both sides of the political spectrum that get way too much attention in this country. As a sort of recent graduate though, one of the things I was most proud of WM was how the vast majority of the community was capable of looking beyond the extreme viewpoints and divisive rhetoric that exist everywhere and maintaining healthy and respectful debate. Ignoring the shouting and getting to the substance. I hope that continues.

(And to note - those who gleefully highlight extremism by the other side are just as guilty of contributing to the breakdown in discourse as those creating the extreme viewpoints)

+1, This thread is a prime example of the bolded comment.
11-10-2015 01:50 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(11-10-2015 01:37 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 01:16 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I would argue relative to our academic peers, W&M is one of the more conservative Universities out there.

That was actually one of the big reasons I chose William & Mary. I had always heard it was a fairly conservative school and had a very conservative BOV. But make no mistake our current student body is liberal.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The W&M Faculty and Administration is as far left as the most Super Liberal Ivy League school. It has been documented and reported that 90% of the W&M Faculty are registered Democrats.
11-10-2015 01:59 PM
Tribester Offline
Banned

I wasn't "gleefully" highlighting the defacing of Thomas Jefferson's statue on campus. I would be much happier if such ignorance did not take place at W&M re: the author of the Declaration of Independence for crying out loud. The so called silent majority ignoring such things only encourages them to do even more.
11-10-2015 02:04 PM
Sitting bull Online
All American

(11-10-2015 01:59 PM)62Indian Wrote:  

The W&M Faculty and Administration is as far left as the most Super Liberal Ivy League school. It has been documented and reported that 90% of the W&M Faculty are registered Democrats.

Not sure where you get your numbers - but again, how is that different from ANY University? (Or media company?).
11-10-2015 02:25 PM
Advertisement

WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Tangentially related... the faculty member in the middle of the Missouri campus protests, eagerly goading the students on and seemingly running the show is Ms. Melissa Click. If you don't yet know about this woman, just Google her name and watch some video from yesterday (11/9/15).

Melissa Click graduated in 1993 with degrees in retail marketing and women’s studies from James Madison University.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 02:40 PM by WM Beancounter.)
11-10-2015 02:31 PM
3xTribe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(11-10-2015 02:25 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  

Not sure where you get your numbers - but again, how is that different from ANY University? (Or media company?).

This thread has taken what I think is a distressing turn. The post-it note controversy is a tempest in a teapot, and really not deserving of so much angst. There are many choices of universities (Regent and Liberty among them) that might meet the desire for a political conservatism litmus test that some seem to be advocating. My son is at Clemson where liberals are looked at as though they have three heads. If the leftist bent of William and Mary is that big a problem, we all have alternatives for our support and loyalty. Let's set aside politics and ask whether our College is providing an important service to our state, our country, and our world. If it isn't, either walk away or start another prairie fire like the one that ousted Nichols. OR, we could get back to Tribe sports, which we all seem to support.
11-10-2015 02:51 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: OT: TJ statue on campus
(11-10-2015 02:25 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  

The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't register voters according to political party. I assume a lot of professors reside in and vote in VA. I'm born and raised VA and in 26 years, I've never been required to register/list my political affiliation on anything.
11-10-2015 03:08 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-10-2015 02:04 PM)Tribester Wrote:  I wasn't "gleefully" highlighting the defacing of Thomas Jefferson's statue on campus. I would be much happier if such ignorance did not take place at W&M re: the author of the Declaration of Independence for crying out loud. The so called silent majority ignoring such things only encourages them to do even more.

Some sticky notes on a statue, presumably representing the view point of one or possibly a few students. I don't agree with the statements or how they were expressed, but its not "defacing" the statue. I just don't see where this is news, unless you have a political axe to grind. I once saw a swastika carved into a desk on campus. That doesn't mean the College is/was being overrun by Neo Nazis or full of racists, just like this one isolated incident doesn't say anything meaningful about the WM student population at large.

I'd prefer these boards stay apolitical and focused on the unifying theme of Tribe athletics.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 06:24 PM by WMTribe90.)
11-10-2015 03:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.