Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho thread not meant to be derogatory
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Exclamation Idaho thread not meant to be derogatory
I have been in Missoula, MT for the last few days and have been watching football on local TV all day. What purpose/advantage does Idaho have for being in FBS? Why would you not want to play Montana, Montana St, NDSU, Portland St or any other of the local teams in this region??? There are FCS games all over the TV, all day. Currently watching you guys play NMSU. If you played these local teams you are playing in front of kids that might actually attend your university, I don't see many kids from the southeast wanting to go to school in Idaho.

I really think there is more advantage to you guys dropping down to FCS then forcing the FBS issue. Of course that all changes if the MWC were to come calling.

I really would like to hear y'all's take on this.
10-31-2015 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
RE: Idaho thread not meant to be derogatory
D1A pays better. You don't get $2.1M to lose to Big Sky schools (or being a D1AA member, period) when you can get your tails kicked in by USC and Auburn and pay the bills.

https://www.thevandalnation.com/idaho-to...c-in-2015/
10-31-2015 11:27 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Our historic rivals are Boise St., WSU and Montana, and to a lesser extent Nevada. It would be fun to play Montana again but we have no more history with schools like Portland State and UC Davis than we do with South Alabama. I don't want to give up a bunch of money and scholarships and drop several sports just for the sake of playing an annual game with Montana.

Also, without getting into a lot more State of Idaho history and politics than you're going to care about, just take my word for it that it would be an absolute catastrophe politically for Idaho to drop to FCS. There's no possible way that playing extra football games in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona could make up for the disaster of dropping down.

Plus, who cares about FCS football?

I would much, much rather Idaho drop football than go FCS, both as a supporter of the University and as a fan who doesn't have any interest in Big Sky football.
10-31-2015 11:42 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Seventy plus years at the highest level of college football.

We have more history with FBS teams here is a list of games played all but Utah we have shared a conference with.
WSU 91
BSU 40
Nevada 29
Oregon 59
OSU 43
NMSU 22
Utah 28
Utah ST 39
Washington 40

Once you lose your virginity you can't go back and be a virgin again.
We might have been fine if we stayed 1AA but going back is a different story.
Montana is an exception drawing great crowds and getting more support than most SBC or MAC schools.
They don't have any competition in state and few entertainment options.( that would be a higher level)
Most Vandal fans live closer to BSU so dropping would give them a reason to go to bronco games vs driving for FCS.
FCS only works without other options GSU had to move up .
Southern and App would not get the support they did while FCS if closer to the P5 programs. App St owns the Mountain region Georgia southern was better off being away from Atlanta.

We have invested thirty five million in football facilities in recent years.
New press box ,luxury seating,120 person team meeting room and position meeting rooms,hydro therapy pool,30 by 50 video board, two lighted spinturf practice fields.
One of the better weight rooms in college football.
Our planned seating expansion getting the dome to twenty four thousand with more possible is next.

Too much has been invested and the stigma of dropping down aren't worth playing Montana.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 11:16 AM by MJG.)
11-01-2015 11:15 AM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App State
(11-01-2015 11:15 AM)MJG Wrote:  Seventy plus years at the highest level of college football.

We have more history with FBS teams here is a list of games played all but Utah we have shared a conference with.
WSU 91
BSU 40
Nevada 29
Oregon 59
OSU 43
NMSU 22
Utah 28
Utah ST 39
Washington 40

Montana is an exception drawing great crowds and getting more support than most SBC or MAC schools.
They don't have any competition in state and few entertainment options.( that would be a higher level)
Most Vandal fans live closer to BSU so dropping would give them a reason to go to bronco games vs driving for FCS.
Southern and App would not get the support they did while FCS if closer to the P5 programs. App St owns the Mountain region Georgia southern was better off being away from Atlanta.

New press box ,luxury seating,120 person team meeting room and position meeting rooms,hydro therapy pool,30 by 50 video board, two lighted spinturf practice fields.
Our planned seating expansion getting the dome to twenty four thousand with more possible is next.

Too much has been invested and the stigma of dropping down aren't worth playing Montana.

Just curious, App's closest P5 team is 86 miles away. I think Washington State is your closest, how far away are they?
11-01-2015 11:57 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(11-01-2015 11:57 AM)appsfan Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 11:15 AM)MJG Wrote:  Seventy plus years at the highest level of college football.

WSU 91
BSU 40
Nevada 29
Oregon 59
OSU 43
NMSU 22
Utah 28
Utah ST 39
Washington 40

Just curious, App's closest P5 team is 86 miles away. I think Washington State is your closest, how far away are they?

8 miles.
11-01-2015 12:07 PM
Advertisement

appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App State
That's pretty close, I would have to say.
11-01-2015 09:02 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(11-01-2015 09:02 PM)appsfan Wrote:  That's pretty close, I would have to say.

It is a plus and a minus in some ways.
Makes a difference that it is another state.
The basketball series is the oldest continual series West of the Mississippi.
11-01-2015 09:11 PM
nsavandal09 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: I-D-AHO!
(10-31-2015 10:07 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I have been in Missoula, MT for the last few days and have been watching football on local TV all day. What purpose/advantage does Idaho have for being in FBS? Why would you not want to play Montana, Montana St, NDSU, Portland St or any other of the local teams in this region??? There are FCS games all over the TV, all day. Currently watching you guys play NMSU. If you played these local teams you are playing in front of kids that might actually attend your university, I don't see many kids from the southeast wanting to go to school in Idaho.

I really think there is more advantage to you guys dropping down to FCS then forcing the FBS issue. Of course that all changes if the MWC were to come calling.

Do you honestly think kids grow up dreaming to play for South Alabama or any other Sun Belt team??? Hell no! They want to play at the highest level they can, they don't care if it's Iowa, Idaho or USA, they want to play D1 FBS above all. I love how you insinuate that nobody wants to play when the majority of our recruits held offers from other schools and chose Idaho over them. News flash players come to schools for different reasons. Some want bowl rings and will ride the bench for 4 years to be on a good team, some want the opportunity to start for 4 years, some like the campus and academics, some like the coaching staff, and some just want to compete in the FBS.

Recruiting talent is the most overrated part of mid major football, they recruits are basically at the same level, it all comes down to putting them in the right schemes and coaching the players up.

FBS keeps us far more relevant than any FCS program, you can compare the 2009 Humanitarian Bowl's tv ratings and attendance and see how much better it was than the actual FCS National Title game.

FBS pays far better than FCS, with the added benefit of getting far more exposure and other benefits for your money.

Lastly I don't care about the other northwest schools! Weber State? Portland State? Southern Utah? Even if you do win the big sky title you're still the best in the big sky playing a bunch of nobodies.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 09:38 PM by nsavandal09.)
11-01-2015 09:23 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(10-31-2015 10:07 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I have been in Missoula, MT for the last few days and have been watching football on local TV all day. What purpose/advantage does Idaho have for being in FBS? Why would you not want to play Montana, Montana St, NDSU, Portland St or any other of the local teams in this region??? There are FCS games all over the TV, all day. Currently watching you guys play NMSU. If you played these local teams you are playing in front of kids that might actually attend your university, I don't see many kids from the southeast wanting to go to school in Idaho.

The best solution for all concerned is for the Vandals and Aggies to stay FBS and for the upper Big Sky to go there too. Think that has been the plan all along.
11-01-2015 09:32 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(11-01-2015 09:32 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

The best solution for all concerned is for the Vandals and Aggies to stay FBS and for the upper Big Sky to go there too. Think that has been the plan all along.

I've been told that Montana and Eastern Washington don't want to move up (after seeing what happened to Idaho).
11-01-2015 11:16 PM
Advertisement

Beltfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: best of SBC

I think that when South Ala. started up back in 2009 and someone recommended they would be a good fit in Div. I-AA there would have been some pretty p--sed off fans in Mobile. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least that Idaho or NMSU are playing FBS and are associated with the SBC.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 11:59 PM by Beltfan.)
11-01-2015 11:57 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-01-2015 09:23 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  

Do you honestly think kids grow up dreaming to play for South Alabama or any other Sun Belt team??? Hell no! They want to play at the highest level they can, they don't care if it's Iowa, Idaho or USA, they want to play D1 FBS above all. I love how you insinuate that nobody wants to play when the majority of our recruits held offers from other schools and chose Idaho over them. News flash players come to schools for different reasons. Some want bowl rings and will ride the bench for 4 years to be on a good team, some want the opportunity to start for 4 years, some like the campus and academics, some like the coaching staff, and some just want to compete in the FBS.

Recruiting talent is the most overrated part of mid major football, they recruits are basically at the same level, it all comes down to putting them in the right schemes and coaching the players up.

FBS keeps us far more relevant than any FCS program, you can compare the 2009 Humanitarian Bowl's tv ratings and attendance and see how much better it was than the actual FCS National Title game.

FBS pays far better than FCS, with the added benefit of getting far more exposure and other benefits for your money.

Lastly I don't care about the other northwest schools! Weber State? Portland State? Southern Utah? Even if you do win the big sky title you're still the best in the big sky playing a bunch of nobodies.

Yes, and it's happening more and more often as the years go by where we "steal" kids with SEC and other P5 offers who grew up wanting to play Division I here in town, in front of their friends and families.
11-02-2015 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(11-01-2015 11:16 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 09:32 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

I've been told that Montana and Eastern Washington don't want to move up (after seeing what happened to Idaho).
Why is E Washington wanting an expanded stadium for > 15 k then? The MWC won't take them.

Montana and Mont St want to be in an FBS conference where they can be competitive, unlike the MWC.
11-02-2015 06:24 PM
nsavandal09 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: I-D-AHO!
(11-02-2015 05:10 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 09:23 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  

Yes, and it's happening more and more often as the years go by where we "steal" kids with SEC and other P5 offers who grew up wanting to play Division I here in town, in front of their friends and families.

Accepting an offer isn't the same as dreaming. If you ask any player they want to go start at the best program in the country, and that's who they are when they're playing in an open lot. But when you get the "ride the bench in the BCS or play at MM, maybe at a different position" talk they pay attention. BTW we land several players with BCS offers every year, it's nice and all but you still need to develop them.
11-02-2015 08:59 PM
dtd_vandal Offline
Bench Warmer

What purpose would Idaho have dropping down to a dieing classification where the very pinnacle of achievement is playing a "championship" game in a half empty soccer stadium in the middle of nowhere Texas?

We moved all our other sports to the Big Sky and saw no increase in attendance. We played Eastern Washington a few years ago in football and it was the second least attended home game of the year. Moving back to the Big Sky will do next to nothing attendance/excitement wise except maybe a somewhat bigger crowd for Montana every other year (or less seeing as how there would be 14 teams in the league and everyone wants to play Montana).
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 09:55 PM by dtd_vandal.)
11-02-2015 09:50 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Idaho thread not meant to be derogatory
The Sun Belt is in theory one raid away from having to invite 3-4 Big Sky schools to stay at 12 football members. If Idaho, Texas State and New Mexico State were to remain as members, it certainly would make it possible. Schools like EKU may be interested now, but that could change depending on who leaves, and there's no guarantee a particular school may be able to move up when needed.
11-03-2015 12:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(11-03-2015 12:27 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  The Sun Belt is in theory one raid away from having to invite 3-4 Big Sky schools to stay at 12 football members. If Idaho, Texas State and New Mexico State were to remain as members, it certainly would make it possible. Schools like EKU may be interested now, but that could change depending on who leaves, and there's no guarantee a particular school may be able to move up when needed.

somehow you guys miss the part of the equation that a state flagship school like Idaho or nmsu or others like txst, uta, utsa dont want to be lumped in and likened to schools with a more regional mission and lower academic standing like the jax states and nichols states of the world. the fact that Idaho and nmsu would be more at home with the schools in the mwc but cant get in because it is full is the dilemma they have to deal with. If the big sky was fbs, they might be willing to go there.
11-03-2015 08:10 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

All those are seemingly good reasons to stay FBS, what are you guys doing to make your situation better(conference wise)??? Is there any talks with other NW schools going FBS and starting a new conference, are y'all really banking on staying in the SBC, hopefully not, just for regional reasons, are y'all willing to go back independent????
11-03-2015 05:36 PM
dtd_vandal Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-03-2015 05:36 PM)Usajags Wrote:  All those are seemingly good reasons to stay FBS, what are you guys doing to make your situation better(conference wise)??? Is there any talks with other NW schools going FBS and starting a new conference, are y'all really banking on staying in the SBC, hopefully not, just for regional reasons, are y'all willing to go back independent????

How would we know? Pretty sure none of us on here are the AD/President of the University. And yes, I would be fine going back to independent if needed.
11-03-2015 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.