Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia State at Arkansas State
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Georgia State at Arkansas State
Trying to find the game discussion on our board is kind of hard. We've got 3 threads dedicated to the App State game already, but most of the discussion on this game outside of occasional interviews from the Georgia State side posted, the most discussion we've gotten on this game is how starting at 6pm on Halloween Night is going to kill attendance.

Meanwhile, the Georgia State board is already talking basketball, so I throw it to you guys. How does this game match up?

FYI, 90 percent chance of rain, and it's going to be fairly cold Saturday, this might be a crowd similar to the 10-12 K we saw the first time we faced Georgia State 2 years ago.
10-29-2015 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
RE: Georgia State at Arkansas State
The key thing to watch from this game will be can the Astate defense get to Arbuckle, make him rattled which will cause him to make mistakes; despite the last two opponents favoring the run, both QBs had career days against our secondary, yet the Red Wolves 'D' has still forced 5 interceptions (two of them being pick 6's)

Georgia State knows we'll be bringing the thunder so they'll HAVE to get a running game going; however they're extremely hurt in that position (two freshman will be splitting carries this Saturday against Arkansas State) and the production has shown-Panthers are only averaging 87 yards on the ground A GAME.

I have no doubt Georgia State will still be able to move the ball; they'll more than likely be able to get some big plays on Astate (Red Wolves D have almost always given up at least one big touchdown play a game)
10-29-2015 10:38 PM
The Howling Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Doesn't look like the rain will be too heavy by Saturday night. This game will be a good test for our secondary, I don't expect our d-line will have any trouble stopping any attempt at the run. Georgia St. may hang with us for a half, but I expect our D will have Arbuckle wondering what hit him by the second half. I'm not concerned about App. St. until this game is won. Hope the team is thinking the same.

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 10:49 PM by The Howling.)
10-29-2015 10:48 PM
ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
I'll be watching this game. It will be interesting to see how Ga State defends the Ark St run game, as it is similar in appearance to the GS run game with the zone read looks. I think Fredi obviously has the passing skills that GS lacks, but I don't know that he'll need them. Ark St will be able to control the clock with the run game and put up points, but expect GaSt to be able to score a few TD's because their receiving corps is pretty solid and has a knack for finding space...IF the O-line can give Nick Favre time to find them.

Ark State should come away unscathed setting up a great matchup next Thursday night.
10-30-2015 08:17 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
We're down to 2 RBs.... Unless Coach Jags has something amazing up his sleeve or swapped defenses with the Denver Broncos, you guys should have this in a walk by 20. But... there is the road factor we seem to step up for. So I think y'all win by 3 scores or less than 3 points.
10-30-2015 08:27 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
I am starting to see signs of improvement from GaSt...A few turnovers it might be a game but without probably 17+ point loss.
10-30-2015 08:39 AM
Advertisement

SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(10-30-2015 08:27 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  We're down to 2 RBs.... Unless Coach Jags has something amazing up his sleeve or swapped defenses with the Denver Broncos, you guys should have this in a walk by 20. But... there is the road factor we seem to step up for. So I think y'all win by 3 scores or less than 3 points.

From what I've witnessed, GaSt doesn't use their RB's much anyway. Gotta hope the weather isn't too bad as Arbuckle to Hart and Harden is GaSt's best chance to make this a game. On Halloween night maybe something crazy will happen....04-jawdrop
10-30-2015 09:03 AM
doberman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Redwolves
Thinking back, I'm not sure we've had a real rain game since Roberts was the coach......at home at least.
10-30-2015 10:41 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-29-2015 10:48 PM)The Howling Wrote:  Doesn't look like the rain will be too heavy by Saturday night. This game will be a good test for our secondary, I don't expect our d-line will have any trouble stopping any attempt at the run. Georgia St. may hang with us for a half, but I expect our D will have Arbuckle wondering what hit him by the second half. I'm not concerned about App. St. until this game is won. Hope the team is thinking the same.

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

With that score prediction i'm surprised you are even commenting about not being concerned. I really don't think you are giving enough credit to Georgia State's defense however as they have improved throughout the year. I don't expect them to win but I think this will be a lot like the Idaho game. 45-31 type of game.
10-30-2015 11:33 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(10-30-2015 11:33 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 10:48 PM)The Howling Wrote:  Doesn't look like the rain will be too heavy by Saturday night. This game will be a good test for our secondary, I don't expect our d-line will have any trouble stopping any attempt at the run. Georgia St. may hang with us for a half, but I expect our D will have Arbuckle wondering what hit him by the second half. I'm not concerned about App. St. until this game is won. Hope the team is thinking the same.

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

With that score prediction i'm surprised you are even commenting about not being concerned. I really don't think you are giving enough credit to Georgia State's defense however as they have improved throughout the year. I don't expect them to win but I think this will be a lot like the Idaho game. 45-31 type of game.

cold, wet weather is the last thing GS needs, they only have one advantage over ArkSt, their passing game against ArkSt secondary, the weather might negate that. I think GS has improved since the beginning of the year, but not enough to pull the upset
10-30-2015 11:41 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2015 11:41 AM)moehler Wrote:  

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

cold, wet weather is the last thing GS needs, they only have one advantage over ArkSt, their passing game against ArkSt secondary, the weather might negate that. I think GS has improved since the beginning of the year, but not enough to pull the upset

According to a previous post the rain should be dying down by game time. They have finally been victorious this year and I think that lends itself to only encourage them in this type of game instead of discourage them like they played in Boone last season. Arkansas State, being the most talented team in the Sun Belt should lay a 50 burger but I don't see it happening. GSU hasn't given up near as many points as I thought we would see early on, this will be a good litmus test as to how far they have come y/y.
10-30-2015 11:48 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

I've lost track as to who is playing who. Maybe we won last night.
10-30-2015 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline

(10-30-2015 11:48 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

According to a previous post the rain should be dying down by game time. They have finally been victorious this year and I think that lends itself to only encourage them in this type of game instead of discourage them like they played in Boone last season. Arkansas State, being the most talented team in the Sun Belt should lay a 50 burger but I don't see it happening. GSU hasn't given up near as many points as I thought we would see early on, this will be a good litmus test as to how far they have come y/y.

That being said, I don't see our defense giving up 31 points. For some reason because of the Idaho game, when we gave up two late touchdowns, people have decided our defense sucks.

Our biggest weakness this year has really been against Mobile QB's, which Arbuckle is not.

I think Georgia State will score some points, especially if we get up big and start playing the backups, but I am not sure if they can score 31 points.
10-30-2015 12:03 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
I have no idea which GSU will show up tomorrow night. None
10-30-2015 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2015 12:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

That being said, I don't see our defense giving up 31 points. For some reason because of the Idaho game, when we gave up two late touchdowns, people have decided our defense sucks.

Our biggest weakness this year has really been against Mobile QB's, which Arbuckle is not.

I think Georgia State will score some points, especially if we get up big and start playing the backups, but I am not sure if they can score 31 points.

It's not that I think you're defense sucks, I just think Georgia State is better than a 56-17 type of game. Their defense has improved with the addition of the UAB's and the offense never really has been a weak area.
10-30-2015 12:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(10-30-2015 12:51 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 11:33 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  With that score prediction i'm surprised you are even commenting about not being concerned. I really don't think you are giving enough credit to Georgia State's defense however as they have improved throughout the year. I don't expect them to win but I think this will be a lot like the Idaho game. 45-31 type of game.

It's not that I think you're defense sucks, I just think Georgia State is better than a 56-17 type of game. Their defense has improved with the addition of the UAB's and the offense never really has been a weak area.

Well, there are two ways to look at it.

In 2013, a terrible Georgia State team came to Jonesboro, and played us with a bowl bid and conference title on the line on our end, and scared the living daylights out of us. Losing only on a failed 2 point conversion in the final 2 minutes.

In 2014, Virtually the same offense we have now, and a defense that couldn't stop Troy's marching band went to Atlanta to play Arbuckle and Co. We won 53-10.

The issue last year was that we run the ball more than anyone outside of Statesboro, and Georgia State just could not stop the run. They are having similar issues this year. On the other hand, our defense this year is designed to dare teams to beat us deep, while shutting down the running game and short ball. Georgia State is without their top 2 RB's, and they have the QB to throw deep, unlike much of the SBC, so that falls to their advantage.
10-30-2015 01:03 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(10-30-2015 01:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 12:51 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 11:41 AM)moehler Wrote:  cold, wet weather is the last thing GS needs, they only have one advantage over ArkSt, their passing game against ArkSt secondary, the weather might negate that. I think GS has improved since the beginning of the year, but not enough to pull the upset

Well, there are two ways to look at it.

In 2013, a terrible Georgia State team came to Jonesboro, and played us with a bowl bid and conference title on the line on our end, and scared the living daylights out of us. Losing only on a failed 2 point conversion in the final 2 minutes.

In 2014, Virtually the same offense we have now, and a defense that couldn't stop Troy's marching band went to Atlanta to play Arbuckle and Co. We won 53-10.

The issue last year was that we run the ball more than anyone outside of Statesboro, and Georgia State just could not stop the run. They are having similar issues this year. On the other hand, our defense this year is designed to dare teams to beat us deep, while shutting down the running game and short ball. Georgia State is without their top 2 RB's, and they have the QB to throw deep, unlike much of the SBC, so that falls to their advantage.

Top 2 RB's for them means a much different thing than it does for a team like you guys or us.

They don't have a run game to start with, so at this point not having running backs really isn't that much of a change.
10-30-2015 01:06 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte

stAte 56
Ga. St. 17

I think our defense is among the top in the nation when it comes to pass efficiency. QBs who run well like Mizzou and ULL's give us some trouble but the secondary has been pretty steady this year.
10-30-2015 01:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Been raining all morning in Jonesboro, but they do expect it to taper off in a couple hours, though the field is going to be pretty wet.
10-31-2015 12:32 PM
doberman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Redwolves
I really think I'm going to enjoy this game.
10-31-2015 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.