Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

School Reputation
Bookmark and Share
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
School Reputation
In an effort to get to know our Sun Belt brothers a little more...what is the general reputation of your school in your state? Are you the party school? The "couldn't get into ____ school? The snob school? The football school? (Probably not, haha)

I think y'all get the idea, let's hear it.
10-10-2015 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ah59396 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: School Reputation
As an App alumn, when I tell people I went to App I usually get one of the following:

"Are you a teacher?"
"They got great weed up there"
"I love the mountains"

So App is known as the hippy/outdoors/teaching school.
10-10-2015 03:53 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
The party school
Although that has changed, that's what the other FBS schools still "hang their arrogant hats" on

The "couldn't get into ____ school"
Yeah, we get this all the time even if our admissions are tougher than a lot of the ones that say it.
10-10-2015 04:00 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
USA? Probably (amongst others) the "growing like crazy school".
10-10-2015 04:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
For the aholes, astate is definitely the "for those that couldn't get into U of A"...

However for the most part, the universities in Arkansas are really known for their primary majors-in Astate's case, we're the "broadcasting" school.
10-10-2015 04:12 PM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
I think what CatMom said about TxSt is pretty similar to Georgia Southern. We are a party school and a fallback school to UGA, but our admission standards have been going up and academic programs have been strengthening for years.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 04:13 PM by boroeagle2.)
10-10-2015 04:12 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
We're the "Broadcasting school".

In some sense, I'm not sure that Arkansans quite know how to characterize or deal with us.
10-10-2015 04:25 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
Unfortunately a party school and back up for uga for the ignorant, right up until they get a rejection letter and end up at West Ga.

The academic reality of today's GS is about a decade + behind. Just about all of my friends would not have gotten in today from just 2000. Pres Grube was absolutely horrible for athletics but probably raised the bar for academics higher than any other in his tenure outside of becoming a University in 1992.
10-10-2015 04:27 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

Haha, west Georgia....
10-10-2015 04:33 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
We make doctors.
10-10-2015 05:07 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
As a current student at GS, we've definitely become less of the party school but we definitely still have that aspect but hey a lot of people come because of that. The only people who say we are for people who couldn't get into UGA anymore are UGA fans/students. Southern has definitely moved away from that stereotype. I know a lot of people that did their core at UGA and then transferred to Southern for Nursing a school and if that doesn't speak volumes about how far our academic programs have come, I don't know what does.
10-10-2015 05:26 PM
Advertisement

AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(10-10-2015 03:53 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  As an App alumn, when I tell people I went to App I usually get one of the following:

"Are you a teacher?"
"They got great weed up there"
"I love the mountains"

So App is known as the hippy/outdoors/teaching school.

Skiing, too.
10-10-2015 05:44 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

(10-10-2015 05:07 PM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  We make doctors.

Don't forget moon pies. :D
10-10-2015 05:45 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(10-10-2015 05:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  As a current student at GS, we've definitely become less of the party school but we definitely still have that aspect but hey a lot of people come because of that. The only people who say we are for people who couldn't get into UGA anymore are UGA fans/students. Southern has definitely moved away from that stereotype. I know a lot of people that did their core at UGA and then transferred to Southern for Nursing a school and if that doesn't speak volumes about how far our academic programs have come, I don't know what does.

When I was in the Army I partied as hard as I ever did at GSU at UNC, ELon, NC State. At GSU I went to uga and it was no different there either. Kids party just as much at most schools just a little harder to get into some. The only schools I went to that was noticeably tamer was GT and Duke.
10-10-2015 05:49 PM
Korr-upt Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(10-10-2015 05:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  The only people who say we are for people who couldn't get into UGA anymore are UGA fans/students.

False, I also say that. 03-nutkick
10-10-2015 05:53 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-10-2015 05:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  As a current student at GS, we've definitely become less of the party school but we definitely still have that aspect but hey a lot of people come because of that. The only people who say we are for people who couldn't get into UGA anymore are UGA fans/students. Southern has definitely moved away from that stereotype. I know a lot of people that did their core at UGA and then transferred to Southern for Nursing a school and if that doesn't speak volumes about how far our academic programs have come, I don't know what does.

Many of the buildings I used to puke in front of aren't even there anymore.
10-10-2015 05:54 PM
Advertisement

GSUCadet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GS & GT
I attended GS starting in 2011, and it's changed so much in the 4 years I was there. From the bars closing down, to the several new buildings completed. Next year, we will have a brand new multi million dollar ROTC building to replace the stupid tan trailer I had to put up with all 4 years. Also, the amount of growth in Statesboro alone has led me to believe that there are big things in store for GS in the future. The stigma of us being a school that is for rejects of UGA is long gone. I think we have the best ROTC program in the southeast, and would argue that it is even better than our states senior military college (North Georgia).
10-10-2015 09:06 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(10-10-2015 09:06 PM)GSUCadet Wrote:  I attended GS starting in 2011, and it's changed so much in the 4 years I was there. From the bars closing down, to the several new buildings completed. Next year, we will have a brand new multi million dollar ROTC building to replace the stupid tan trailer I had to put up with all 4 years. Also, the amount of growth in Statesboro alone has led me to believe that there are big things in store for GS in the future. The stigma of us being a school that is for rejects of UGA is long gone. I think we have the best ROTC program in the southeast, and would argue that it is even better than our states senior military college (North Georgia).

I heard we had the largest army ROTC in the nation for a normal public college which is believable.

Also a ton of expansion is happening/about to happen on campus. This year we completed the brand new college of biology and the shooting sports center. The brand new health center is scheduled to open in January. Then next year, we will have the new multipurpose classroom building where those god awful temporary units are and they are finally tearing down Forrest Drive and putting the new military sciences building there. After that, the plan is to expand across Veterans Memorial pkwy and build more dorms and research facilities as well as a new basketball arena/city convocation center.

All this along with the rumor that GS received 5k more applications from students this year than usual and the fact that Statesboro is one of the fastest growing cities in the state and a finalist in the America's Best Community Competition.

There's big things in store for GS in the future and it's exciting watching all of this growth and expansion take place.
10-10-2015 09:28 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
(10-10-2015 09:28 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 09:06 PM)GSUCadet Wrote:  I attended GS starting in 2011, and it's changed so much in the 4 years I was there. From the bars closing down, to the several new buildings completed. Next year, we will have a brand new multi million dollar ROTC building to replace the stupid tan trailer I had to put up with all 4 years. Also, the amount of growth in Statesboro alone has led me to believe that there are big things in store for GS in the future. The stigma of us being a school that is for rejects of UGA is long gone. I think we have the best ROTC program in the southeast, and would argue that it is even better than our states senior military college (North Georgia).

I heard we had the largest army ROTC in the nation for a normal public college which is believable.

Also a ton of expansion is happening/about to happen on campus. This year we completed the brand new college of biology and the shooting sports center. The brand new health center is scheduled to open in January. Then next year, we will have the new multipurpose classroom building where those god awful temporary units are and they are finally tearing down Forrest Drive and putting the new military sciences building there. After that, the plan is to expand across Veterans Memorial pkwy and build more dorms and research facilities as well as a new basketball arena/city convocation center.

All this along with the rumor that GS received 5k more applications from students this year than usual and the fact that Statesboro is one of the fastest growing cities in the state and a finalist in the America's Best Community Competition.

There's big things in store for GS in the future and it's exciting watching all of this growth and expansion take place.

+1000. The introduction of engineering department has also helped reshape the academic culture. The next President will determine how fast we will grow. Pres Keel leaving when he did makes this hire probably the most important in school history. We have a lot of momentum, hope we dont loss it.
10-10-2015 10:13 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Q: How do others in your state view your school?
A: We have lots of buildings and growth and fantastic shiny new things planned and everything is fantastically great and wonderful utopia!

Ummm...thanks.
10-10-2015 10:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.