Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Helmet decal.
Bookmark and Share
Tribe4SF Online
1st String

I Root For: W&M
Helmet decal.
If you haven't noticed, Jimmye came up with the idea to put "1693" on the front of our helmets.

[Image: durant%2015_zpsh2igd659.jpg]
09-29-2015 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe1693 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Helmet decal.
It's a great look! I remember when we first did this to open the season at UVa in 1988, it was "W&M". (I know because I put them on, LOL.) The guys were pumped when they saw it. We did it the Friday night after the walk through so it was on their helmets for Saturday as a surprise. I know through the years it has switched back and forth between "W&M" and "Tribe". I like the "1693".
09-29-2015 11:29 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
(09-29-2015 11:29 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  It's a great look! I remember when we first did this to open the season at UVa in 1988, it was "W&M". (I know because I put them on, LOL.) The guys were pumped when they saw it. We did it the Friday night after the walk through so it was on their helmets for Saturday as a surprise. I know through the years it has switched back and forth between "W&M" and "Tribe". I like the "1693".

Undoubtedly far cooler than "W&M" or "Tribe" and differentiates the College further
10-01-2015 06:40 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

I like it.
10-01-2015 11:01 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

Me too.
10-02-2015 03:25 PM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Better than the squiggly cypher mess of a logo...
10-02-2015 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

Nice for the College but meaningless marketing-wise since it means nothing to anyone not associated with W&M or a history bug of the school. What we need is either the "W&M" on either our helmets
or front of the shirts (as many schools do today) so viewers on tv or on newspaper photos know its
William & Mary,

The word Tribe has no school identification for anyone not a W&M alum or follower. None.
We are not The Fighting Irish or Crimson Tide where even the most casual viewer of the tv or newspaper knows the school.

It's Marketing 101.
10-04-2015 06:23 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I was watching the game with a friend and when the announcers were talking about the 1693 decal he thought it was pretty cool. I don't think we need easy brand identification at every turn. 1693 is a unique identifying feature for the school, regardless of whether it's commonly known.
10-04-2015 07:24 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2015 07:24 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  I was watching the game with a friend and when the announcers were talking about the 1693 decal he thought it was pretty cool. I don't think we need easy brand identification at every turn. 1693 is a unique identifying feature for the school, regardless of whether it's commonly known.

Agree with this completely
10-04-2015 09:09 AM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Like it.
10-04-2015 09:14 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2015 07:24 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  I was watching the game with a friend and when the announcers were talking about the 1693 decal he thought it was pretty cool. I don't think we need easy brand identification at every turn. 1693 is a unique identifying feature for the school, regardless of whether it's commonly known.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the 1693 decal was obviously an inspiration to the Tribe players last night. Also, hard to ignore the fact that some Delaware player named "Thomas Jeffreson" was running thru the Tribe Big "D" like the proverbial stuff thru a goose.
10-04-2015 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

(10-04-2015 06:23 AM)Big Tribe Wrote:  Nice for the College but meaningless marketing-wise since it means nothing to anyone not associated with W&M or a history bug of the school. What we need is either the "W&M" on either our helmets
or front of the shirts (as many schools do today) so viewers on tv or on newspaper photos know its
William & Mary,

The word Tribe has no school identification for anyone not a W&M alum or follower. None.
We are not The Fighting Irish or Crimson Tide where even the most casual viewer of the tv or newspaper knows the school.

It's Marketing 101.

Well, it got the announcers attention last night on national TV, who went on to say W&M was the 2nd oldest college in the U.S. and TJ was 16 years old when he entered. Pretty good marketing in my book.
10-04-2015 10:06 AM
Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

That's nice at the moment it happens....but the fact is that with so many football (and basketball) games on tv you have a very large number, the preponderancy of the viewing audience jumping from game to game and/or casually tuning in if a game looks interesting. At those moments are when you need to see the W&M ID. And, of course, in newspaper photos it would be the large W&M on a helmet or William and Mary on a uniform shirt )see Richmond, Madison, Delaware and even big schools I saw yesterday like Oklahoma, Mich State, Georgia Tech, etc. to make sure the viewer knows what school it is.

The small 1693 is invisible and, unless an announcer talks about it the one time in a game he's going to, is meaningless to almost all viewers. And, again, Tribe does nothing re ID yo 96% of viewers or readers.
10-04-2015 11:49 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Helmet decal.
Who really looks at those anyway. If you're watching the game that close you know who the two teams are. Plus, most teams just have the name of the manufacturer there. In my mind it's normally dead space, so anything you get is a bonus. Whether it's the announcers talking about it or someone searching why and then learns more about WM, it's effective marketing.
10-04-2015 12:25 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(10-04-2015 12:25 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  Who really looks at those anyway. If you're watching the game that close you know who the two teams are. Plus, most teams just have the name of the manufacturer there. In my mind it's normally dead space, so anything you get is a bonus. Whether it's the announcers talking about it or someone searching why and then learns more about WM, it's effective marketing.

Agreed. For most teams, it says "Riddell" or has the swoosh. You're not going to get the average SAT scores or US News ranking on there, so 1693 is pretty good.
10-04-2015 07:24 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

We need the WM with the two feathers back.

Nothing before or since makes near the visual statement.

It's not offensive and someone needs to call them out on it, bring the damn thing back.
10-04-2015 07:37 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Ebirt Offline
Bench Warmer

It's offensive to the NCAA.
10-04-2015 08:16 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2015 10:06 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 06:23 AM)Big Tribe Wrote:  Nice for the College but meaningless marketing-wise since it means nothing to anyone not associated with W&M or a history bug of the school. What we need is either the "W&M" on either our helmets
William & Mary,

It's Marketing 101.

Well, it got the announcers attention last night on national TV, who went on to say W&M was the 2nd oldest college in the U.S. and TJ was 16 years old when he entered. Pretty good marketing in my book.
------------------------------------------------------------------
You are assuming that anyone in the TV audience [other than W&M grads] knows who Thomas Jefferson is [other than the Delaware football player] and/or cares about the age of any college. Most high school and college students today know very little about American history - or world history for that matter.. The TV announcer who made those remarks was former footballer who was heavily recruited by W&M when he was in high school [he went to Princeton instead] and had been given the W&M "story" by JL hisself.
10-04-2015 09:23 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Helmet decal.
(10-04-2015 07:37 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  We need the WM with the two feathers back.

Nothing before or since makes near the visual statement.

It's not offensive and someone needs to call them out on it, bring the damn thing back.

The fight was to be made when we still had it. Now that it's gone, it ain't coming back. I'm actually amazed that in the current atmosphere of PC overreacting that we've held on to Tribe.
10-04-2015 09:26 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(10-04-2015 09:23 PM)62Indian Wrote:  You are assuming that anyone in the TV audience [other than W&M grads] knows who Thomas Jefferson is [other than the Delaware football player] and/or cares about the age of any college. Most high school and college students today know very little about American history - or world history for that matter.. The TV announcer who made those remarks was former footballer who was heavily recruited by W&M when he was in high school [he went to Princeton instead] and had been given the W&M "story" by JL hisself.

Also, kids these days never had to walk to school in the snow uphill, and should get off your lawn.

None of those things is relevant unless the College is making the 2 inch footprint on the front of football helmets the cornerstone of their marketing pitch. It's a nice little detail that is mostly meaningless from any big picture view.
10-04-2015 10:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.