Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 3 SBC Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Week 3 SBC Thoughts
Biggest Surprise: South Alabama
Going into this game, I was unsure of what to expect exactly from the Jags; They looked iffy against Gardner Webb, and really couldn't tell much from the Nebraska game. However, the Jags showed great poise and excellent execution and scored a big time win against a very solid, successful MWC program (on the road just to add). USA outgained the Aztecs 511 to 305 and scored on passes 46 and 57 yards out and added on with a 74-yard run. Jags certainly have shown they have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with come conference time.

Biggest Disappointment: Texas State
It was certainly an exciting shoot out, but the Bobcats were playing catch up for majority of the night, down 21-3 early in the 2nd but fought back to have a 4 point halftime lead 25-21. However the Bobcats D seemed unable to contain let alone slow down the Golden Eagles attack and quickly found themselves down 49-28 in the 4th. Despite another remarkable rally (including a safety by the Texas State D) Southern Miss was able to hang on for the 56-50 win. This will be a lost felt throughout the season and now with trips to Houston and Lafayette looming, Texas State could be facing a 1-4 record by the time they return home to face a seemingly powerful Jags squad.

Player of the Week: Matt Breida, Georgia Southern
First off honorable mentions to NMSU QB Tyler Rogers (14-28 for 285 yards, 3 TDs and 1 pick) and TX State QB Tyler Jones (31-46 for 310 yards and 3 TDs) however I like my players of the week to contribute to victories and thus I award it to Breida. The RB accounted for 164 yards and two touchdowns, averaging almost 12 yards a carry!

Early thoughts going into Week 4:
We've got a lot of intriguing OOC games coming up in week 4, including App State traveling to Old Dominon, the Cajuns hosting the Akron Zips, Texas State playing in state rivals Houston and one I'm certainly looking forward to Arkansas State's rematch vs Toledo at the Glass Bowl.

Least we forget we do have a conference game happening as defending champs Georgia Southern makes the long trek to Idaho. The Eagles should have NO problem against an Vandal squad that just recently gave up 38 points to Wofford at home, but gotta wonder if the long travel will have any effect on Georgia Southern.
09-20-2015 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Week 3 SBC Thoughts
Admitting obvious bias, I have to disagree on the player of the week. USA's Xavier Johnson rushed for 142 yards and two TDs in the win over SDSU.
09-20-2015 02:05 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Week 3 SBC Thoughts
(09-20-2015 01:27 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Biggest Surprise: South Alabama
Going into this game, I was unsure of what to expect exactly from the Jags; They looked iffy against Gardner Webb, and really couldn't tell much from the Nebraska game. However, the Jags showed great poise and excellent execution and scored a big time win against a very solid, successful MWC program (on the road just to add). USA outgained the Aztecs 511 to 305 and scored on passes 46 and 57 yards out and added on with a 74-yard run. Jags certainly have shown they have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with come conference time.

Biggest Disappointment: Texas State
It was certainly an exciting shoot out, but the Bobcats were playing catch up for majority of the night, down 21-3 early in the 2nd but fought back to have a 4 point halftime lead 25-21. However the Bobcats D seemed unable to contain let alone slow down the Golden Eagles attack and quickly found themselves down 49-28 in the 4th. Despite another remarkable rally (including a safety by the Texas State D) Southern Miss was able to hang on for the 56-50 win. This will be a lost felt throughout the season and now with trips to Houston and Lafayette looming, Texas State could be facing a 1-4 record by the time they return home to face a seemingly powerful Jags squad.

Player of the Week: Matt Breida, Georgia Southern
First off honorable mentions to NMSU QB Tyler Rogers (14-28 for 285 yards, 3 TDs and 1 pick) and TX State QB Tyler Jones (31-46 for 310 yards and 3 TDs) however I like my players of the week to contribute to victories and thus I award it to Breida. The RB accounted for 164 yards and two touchdowns, averaging almost 12 yards a carry!

Early thoughts going into Week 4:
We've got a lot of intriguing OOC games coming up in week 4, including App State traveling to Old Dominon, the Cajuns hosting the Akron Zips, Texas State playing in state rivals Houston and one I'm certainly looking forward to Arkansas State's rematch vs Toledo at the Glass Bowl.

Least we forget we do have a conference game happening as defending champs Georgia Southern makes the long trek to Idaho. The Eagles should have NO problem against an Vandal squad that just recently gave up 38 points to Wofford at home, but gotta wonder if the long travel will have any effect on Georgia Southern.
That's biased BS
Jones had 310 passing (3 TDS) 160 yds rushing (2 TDs) no ints (just 4 yds less than Breida). He, alone, accounted for 54% of TXSTs rushing offense and 80% overall.
It's not Jones's fault Breida got his numbers vs an FCS while Jones had an inept D overshadow an exceptional display of talent.

Good thing you don't have NFL votes on the subject.
09-20-2015 02:11 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Yeah, Xavier Johnson would win player of the week in just about any league. Brieda is amazing, but the quality of competition must be considered.

Tyler Jones had far, far better numbers, but losing teams rarely ever win league Player of the Week honors.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 02:13 PM by chiefsfan.)
09-20-2015 02:12 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
I agree. Breida had what must now be considered a routine performance for him against an inferior opponent. Xavier Johnson leading USA to a big upset over SDSU, on the road, was a much more meaningful performance. Honorable mention goes to Tyler Jones.
09-20-2015 02:38 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
the old saying goes to each their own and I'm certainly not paid for my board opinions so take comfort in that Texas State fans
09-20-2015 04:12 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I think this past week all teams played well, or as expected. Couple close wins, couple close losses, and a couple as expected P5 games. Can't say anything about GaSt getting 60 hung on them by Oregon, Oregon hangs 60 on nearly everyone.

I will say the win of the week goes to my South Alabama Jaguars!!! Hopefully I can say the same thing about my team again next weekend.
09-20-2015 04:59 PM
jhbEAGLE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ga. Southern
Player of the Week: Tx State Jones by far: 310 passing and 160 rushing is a monster game
09-20-2015 05:40 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Breida is a bad... bad man.
09-20-2015 05:45 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(09-20-2015 01:27 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Biggest Disappointment: Texas State

Not sure if you watched the game (no hate if you didn't)... But that safety was by USM intentionally. They were going to have to punt from the 4 yard line, took a delay of game to run the clock down a few more seconds, then told the punter to step out the back of the endzone when he got close to being hit.

Not sure if you really want to give us credit for that one...
09-20-2015 06:38 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Breida may just be the fastest RB in the nation. He has that Michael Vick like burst of speed that is on a different level.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 07:33 PM by GSU Eagles.)
09-20-2015 07:32 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I still believe even though we can certainly run the ball that we have to improve our passing to win the Belt again this year.
09-20-2015 09:11 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Breida is the fastest RB in the country, and one of the best. I watched thUGA and LSU this past weekend. Breida has a better skill set than Chubb. That Fournette is a monster, though.
09-21-2015 05:26 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Fournette will win the Heisman if he keeps that performance up.

He'd shown flashes of Hershel Walker last weekend.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 06:41 AM by TheEagleWay.)
09-21-2015 06:41 AM
tapate50 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern
(09-20-2015 07:32 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Breida may just be the fastest RB in the nation. He has that Michael Vick like burst of speed that is on a different level.

He has speed to spare, but he's so smooth and balanced doing it. It is impressive!
09-21-2015 08:50 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(09-20-2015 02:05 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  Admitting obvious bias, I have to disagree on the player of the week. USA's Xavier Johnson rushed for 142 yards and two TDs in the win over SDSU.

Gotcha but Breida could have had 300 yards if we left him in. I think every RB on the roster got a chance to play.
09-21-2015 09:32 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(09-21-2015 05:26 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Breida is the fastest RB in the country, and one of the best. I watched thUGA and LSU this past weekend. Breida has a better skill set than Chubb. That Fournette is a monster, though.

Fournette is on a different level. AU is down but that D is still made up of elite talent and he made them look like a bad FCS team.

I don't think there is a faster RB than Breida in the country but if he adds another 10-15 pounds without losing speed next year is going to be the unreal for him.
09-21-2015 09:36 AM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-20-2015 02:05 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  Admitting obvious bias, I have to disagree on the player of the week. USA's Xavier Johnson rushed for 142 yards and two TDs in the win over SDSU.

Xavier gets my vote. Impressive numbers in an impressive win.
09-21-2015 10:09 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
Looks like it went to Tyler Jones. Other than the loss, I can't be disappointed with that. That was a heck of a game for him.

Defensive Player of the Week was Jeremy Reaves for USA and Special Teams player of the week was Aleem Sunanon, also of USA.
09-21-2015 10:49 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(09-21-2015 10:49 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  Looks like it went to Tyler Jones. Other than the loss, I can't be disappointed with that. That was a heck of a game for him.

Defensive Player of the Week was Jeremy Reaves for USA and Special Teams player of the week was Aleem Sunanon, also of USA.

Even though we lost, TJ deserved it . . . . Kid played a hellofa game . . . . If he'd had any kind of defensive support, he'd have won the game as well . . . .
09-21-2015 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.