Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App State @ Clemson
Bookmark and Share
GSouthernU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GSouthernU
App State @ Clemson
What are yall's expectations?
(If your an mountain-type person, answer with first with your heart, then with your head.)

I say Clemson by 20. Their defense is scary good again this year. They were the #1 D in the country last year and had 10 TFL's against Wofford last week. Their offense looks even better than it did last year.

And I don't want to hear "Wofford is FCS so it doesn't matter if Clemson did well vs them."

Georgia Southern and App St are both 4-3 against them over the last 7 meetings, and those all happened within the last 9 years. Wofford plays FBS team well usually.

I think App State is definitely a solid candidate for Sunbelt champs this year... and I think they could beat several P5 teams... but I don't see it this weekend.

Clemson 34 App St 14

What say you?
09-09-2015 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AppAttack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
RE: App State @ Clemson
I really have no idea, but that sounds about right. 31-10 range.
09-09-2015 03:58 PM
Upstate App Offline
Water Engineer

I think we can keep it around the spread of 17 pts. Clemson gets a look at triple option annually with Ga. Tech so they defend it pretty well. WoCo isn't even at the top of the SoCon this season and are typically a little undersized so I'm not surprised that Clemson shut them down pretty effectively. We'll have a more balanced attack and I hope we can shut down the QB (wishful thinking, I'm afraid) to at least stay in it.

My heart tells me we have a shot, especially now that we won't be as winded late in the game due to greater depth. Clemson's size and speed will take a toll however and I think we'll play them well for a loss by a couple of TD's.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 04:06 PM by Upstate App.)
09-09-2015 04:04 PM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Don't run into the goal post.

04-cheers
09-09-2015 04:09 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
If the offensive line can create a consistent push against Clemson's defense and allow Cox and Upshaw to get up to the second level I expect this to be a 17 point win for Clemson. (Simply because Clemson will more than likely have a couple of big plays that App won't be able to match.)

If the offensive line is pushed back into Taylor's face and the running backs are struggling to find a hole around the line of scrimmage then it will be a long day. Despite that very generalized breakdown, these types of games are often won or lost due to the play at the line of scrimmage. Clemson could take a note from WVU if they feel their skill players on defense match up well with Apps. Simply run man press, put a hat on a hat on the defensive line and allow the linebackers to have a field day.

I don't expect a win but the lack of an explosive receiver is something that ultimately hurt Appalachian in this type of game.
09-09-2015 04:26 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

42-38 Clem's son.
09-09-2015 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
I honestly think it depends . . . .

On how quickly the game gets out of hand

And how quickly Clemson calls off the dogs

I think you may hang with them for a half, but in the second half, there's potential for it to get ugly . . . . .
09-09-2015 04:32 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 04:32 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  I honestly think it depends . . . .

On how quickly the game gets out of hand

And how quickly Clemson calls off the dogs

I think you may hang with them for a half, but in the second half, there's potential for it to get ugly . . . . .

You want to know how that can be stopped?

By the offensive line getting enough push to allow Cox and Upshaw to grind out ~5 ypc. If that happens then the defense will be allowed enough rest to not be gassed come the 8 minute mark of the third quarter.

I haven't watched enough Clemson football to know how they will affect the running game but I can imagine that they were number one in several defensive categories for a reason last season. If App can get the stretch and misdirection working enough to open up some holes then I expect App will have decent success in the ground game. Of course i'm basing this off of the way App was able to run against Michigan and Louisiana last season (two of the better run defense teams with comparable defensive lines to what Clemson will have in terms of size and athleticism).

One thing I hope to see regardless of score is for Lamb to continue to make good decisions. Last week, albeit was against Howard, I did not see one ill-advised throw or read on his part. If the game isn't too big for him, I expect that to continue and that will go a long way in keeping this game close for longer than it otherwise would.

In this game, App's run game will be their best defense. Keep Clemson's offense on the sideline.
09-09-2015 05:01 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

starts with the receivers, in the games against VT, Florida, and last year, Michigan, we got blown out early because those teams pressed covered at the line of scrimmage our receivers with only single coverage, after a few plays, they realized single coverage was enough, so that freed up the linebackers and safeties to blitz almost every play. When you have 7 or 8 4 and 5 star defenders overrunning your OL your qb and running backs will have no chance. We have to complete some passes early to keep them honest, if we do we will give them a game into the 4th Clemson 38 App 24, but, if they immediately shut down our receiving corp, this game will be over by halftime. Clemson 52 App 13
09-09-2015 05:12 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 05:12 PM)moehler Wrote:  starts with the receivers, in the games against VT, Florida, and last year, Michigan, we got blown out early because those teams pressed covered at the line of scrimmage our receivers with only single coverage, after a few plays, they realized single coverage was enough, so that freed up the linebackers and safeties to blitz almost every play. When you have 7 or 8 4 and 5 star defenders overrunning your OL your qb and running backs will have no chance. We have to complete some passes early to keep them honest, if we do we will give them a game into the 4th Clemson 38 App 24, but, if they immediately shut down our receiving corp, this game will be over by halftime. Clemson 52 App 13

Go watch the game from last year again. The biggest problem wasn't the receivers, it was Kam locking onto his first read for more than 3 seconds. He didn't think to change into a running play or to go to his hot read, but instead took a step back and stared at one guy. That can't happen and it isn't something I see Lamb do often. (He did it on the 50 yard TD to Meadors)

But the QB absolutely cannot lock onto one guy and he needs to know where his outlet is.
09-09-2015 05:16 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Wofford hasn't been any good since 2012...this one should be closer.

34-21 Clemmie.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 05:22 PM by EigenEagle.)
09-09-2015 05:22 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 05:22 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Wofford hasn't been any good since 2012...this one should be closer.

34-21 Clemmie.

Logic: Wofford is down therefor this game should be close. If only the world worked that way.
09-09-2015 05:57 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(09-09-2015 05:57 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 05:22 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Wofford hasn't been any good since 2012...this one should be closer.

34-21 Clemmie.

Logic: Wofford is down therefor this game should be close. If only the world worked that way.

In 2011, Troy trailed Clemson by 7 in the 4th QTR. Troy ended up 3-9 and having the worst season in our former head coach's history. Clemson had a breakout year. They played Wofford after Troy and only beat them 35-28. Clemson will play down to Appalachian State and give them a chance to win.
09-09-2015 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

(09-09-2015 06:48 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

34-21 Clemmie.

In 2011, Troy trailed Clemson by 7 in the 4th QTR. Troy ended up 3-9 and having the worst season in our former head coach's history. Clemson had a breakout year. They played Wofford after Troy and only beat them 35-28. Clemson will play down to Appalachian State and give them a chance to win.
They didn't play down to Wofford four days ago. This isn't the 2011 Clemson Tigers. It's the best team App has played since LSU in 2008.
09-09-2015 06:59 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 06:59 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 06:48 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

34-21 Clemmie.

They didn't play down to Wofford four days ago. This isn't the 2011 Clemson Tigers. It's the best team App has played since LSU in 2008.

LSU didn't have a quarterback that year where Clemson does. This game won't be based on the play of their QB though. It will be won or lost on the offensive and defensive line play, and Lamb's decision making in calling out protections and understanding when to pull off of his first read when throwing.
09-09-2015 07:03 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
If the players have the same attitude as the fans then they might as well stay in Boone. Have some faith in your team. Say some positive things about your team, even if you don't believe it. I'll be rooting for you.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 07:12 PM by PirateJim.)
09-09-2015 07:12 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 07:12 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  If the players have the same attitude as the fans then they might as well stay in Boone. Have some faith in your team. Say some positive things about your team, even if you don't believe it. I'll be rooting for you.

The real point isn't having blind faith but understanding what must happen to win. It's not any different than any other game, just accomplishing the small things that lead to a win get a little more difficult. The degree of difficulty depends on the match-up's of individuals and then position groups.

It's really tough to see much considering Clemson replaced 8 starters on defense from a year ago and App only replaced one on offense. How will the stretch plays and misdirection work against Clemson's speed? How quick can Lamb make his reads? How fast will the holes close up in the running game? How will the offense operate in the noise?

No one knows, but most recognize that several of those event's need to go in App's favor to make up for the talent gap.
09-09-2015 07:20 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(09-09-2015 07:20 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 07:12 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  If the players have the same attitude as the fans then they might as well stay in Boone. Have some faith in your team. Say some positive things about your team, even if you don't believe it. I'll be rooting for you.

The real point isn't having blind faith but understanding what must happen to win. It's not any different than any other game, just accomplishing the small things that lead to a win get a little more difficult. The degree of difficulty depends on the match-up's of individuals and then position groups.

It's really tough to see much considering Clemson replaced 8 starters on defense from a year ago and App only replaced one on offense. How will the stretch plays and misdirection work against Clemson's speed? How quick can Lamb make his reads? How fast will the holes close up in the running game? How will the offense operate in the noise?

No one knows, but most recognize that several of those event's need to go in App's favor to make up for the talent gap.

Ya never know.
09-09-2015 07:23 PM
YesAppCan Offline
2nd String

The one thing App has now is depth as compared to the 1-AA days. If turnovers are not the star for either team, I think it's a game within 13 pts.
09-09-2015 07:31 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2015 07:31 PM)App State 85 Wrote:  The one thing App has now is depth as compared to the 1-AA days. If turnovers are not the star for either team, I think it's a game within 13 pts.

In games like this, consecutive 3 and out's are nearly as bad as turnovers. The offensive line needs to be able to open holes and Lamb needs to read and react. Not read..................................and react (i.e. Kam Bryant for 3 quarters against Michigan).
09-09-2015 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.