Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A two quarterback system: Does it ever work at the college level?
Bookmark and Share
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
A two quarterback system: Does it ever work at the college level?
I ask because it appears the Cajuns have two decent quarterbacks this year, each complimenting the other's strengths and weaknesses..

Leading up to last night's kickoff, I figured most of Hud's proclaimed indecison on who would start at qb was just smoke to keep Kentucky guessing. Some of it most certainly was, but it was clear when Nixon came in in relief of Haack, that he can move the ball well.
09-06-2015 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: A two quarterback system: Does it ever work at the college level?
Good question. History seems to have proved that for the most part it's never a coaches first choice. That being said, check back with us App fans at the end of the season and we might have a different view on it. Fellow App Fans please note the key word is might before you get out your pitch forks. I believe J.P. will bring some additional wrinkles to our offense. He won't supplant Taylor, but I believe he will supplement.
09-06-2015 01:45 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
Chris Leak and Tim Tebow in '06 immediately pops to mind. It worked effectively for us last year with Ellison and Upshaw. South Carolina used it well with Connor Shaw and Stephen Garcia/Dylan Thompson. It really depends on the team and the talent available. There's two different types of two QB systems: ones where you have two talented QBs that both need to see the field, or ones where both QBs stink.
09-06-2015 01:58 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Yes if both quarterbacks bring something different to the table
09-06-2015 06:00 PM
Advertisement

BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
If nothing else, a two QB system that features QB's with different styles is harder to prepare for. Has anything been said since the game about the seriousness of the injury to Nixon? Great comeback against Kentucky, by the way.
09-06-2015 07:09 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(09-06-2015 07:09 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  If nothing else, a two QB system that features QB's with different styles is harder to prepare for. Has anything been said since the game about the seriousness of the injury to Nixon? Great comeback against Kentucky, by the way.

Someone mentioned a shoulder injury, but said nothing else.

What was the final attendance announced for the Southern game? Bet it was good.
09-06-2015 07:32 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Often it's true that if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one. That's why people don't think they work. If you genuinely have two good QBs it can work.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 08:18 PM by EigenEagle.)
09-06-2015 08:09 PM
Advertisement

BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(09-06-2015 07:32 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 07:09 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  If nothing else, a two QB system that features QB's with different styles is harder to prepare for. Has anything been said since the game about the seriousness of the injury to Nixon? Great comeback against Kentucky, by the way.

Someone mentioned a shoulder injury, but said nothing else.

What was the final attendance announced for the Southern game? Bet it was good.

Announced crowd was 27,905, which was a packed house, literally standing room only. Since some seating was removed when our new end zone facility was added, our stadium's capacity is down to that for now. From what I understand, a new press box and new suites are next on the list. When we're done, our stadium's capacity will be 30,000 plus again.

I have to hand it to the Southern fans. They really came through and turned out in great number. They were also terrific guests. And that band....Wow!
09-06-2015 08:22 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-06-2015 08:09 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  "if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one."

And also:
"the most popular guy on campus is the backup quarterback."

IDK.

If you play two different schemes the QBs strengths can be played to and the opponents have to shift, however, your own team has to adjust and prepare for the both of them which can be a distraction.

Another thing is practice.

I read about Buffalo in the NFL which maximizes reps for both 1s & 2s so both 1s & 2s get the same number of scrimmage reps, simultaneously ( we'll see how well the Bills do ). But I think most college practices, the 1s still get most reps and the 2s maybe 25%. So I think as long as that's true, you've gotta pick one and go with him, and hope that injuries don't make the whole question a moot point.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 09:37 PM by DoubleAggie.)
09-06-2015 09:36 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(09-06-2015 09:36 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 08:09 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  "if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one."

And also:

IDK.

If you play two different schemes the QBs strengths can be played to and the opponents have to shift, however, your own team has to adjust and prepare for the both of them which can be a distraction.

I read about Buffalo in the NFL which maximizes reps for both 1s & 2s so both 1s & 2s get the same number of scrimmage reps, simultaneously ( we'll see how well the Bills do ). But I think most college practices, the 1s still get most reps and the 2s maybe 25%. So I think as long as that's true, you've gotta pick one and go with him, and hope that injuries don't make the whole question a moot point.

Well, for what it's worth, the next few weeks of practice and actual games should be interesting for these two kids.
09-06-2015 09:59 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Troy had a Two-QB system in 2013 and lead the SBC in scoring by a substantial margin. It wasn't too long ago actually, and much of that talent remains on the roster. Like many other teams, you'll see our more athletic QB in the wildcat, but not as much of a Two-QB system like it was in '13.

Hope that answers your question.

[Image: Scoring.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 11:23 PM by TroyFootball05.)
09-06-2015 10:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(09-06-2015 01:45 PM)trapdrawApp Wrote:  Good question. History seems to have proved that for the most part it's never a coaches first choice. That being said, check back with us App fans at the end of the season and we might have a different view on it. Fellow App Fans please note the key word is might before you get out your pitch forks. I believe J.P. will bring some additional wrinkles to our offense. He won't supplant Taylor, but I believe he will supplement.

I don't think so, Lamb is the QB unless he's injured or the game outcome is known.

I predict Lamb breaks Apps completion percentage record this season. He probably is the third most talented QB on the roster, but is the best decision maker we have.
09-06-2015 10:10 PM
TheMackAttack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
I think Texas A&M will really show if you it's possible this year. They brought in the class of 2014 #1 QB and the class of 2015 #1 QB. They'll have to make it work to keep them both on campus for the next few seasons, by which point they will have also brought in the class of 2017 #1 QB.
09-07-2015 02:52 AM
Advertisement

airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-06-2015 09:36 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  

And also:

IDK.

I don't personally recall any NFL or CFB team ever winning a championship with a 2-QB system.

As for backup QB's, at least in the NFL, they have a different set of plays based upon their unique skillsets vs the starter, which is why they are often successful upon stepping into the game when needed (i.e., as starter or emergency sub)- the opposing D doesn't have much of a clue of what to expect, at least for that particular game. Back to a 2-QB system under these scenarios - the opponent would simply prepare themselves for the #2 QB as well as the starter.

The former is the reason why pro handicappers, myself included, don't dock any points for the majority of 2nd stringers starting their first games in any season. Only the most elite QB's are worth any points to we in the biz.
09-07-2015 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
(09-07-2015 02:38 PM)airtroop Wrote:  I don't personally recall any NFL or CFB team ever winning a championship with a 2-QB system.

As for backup QB's, at least in the NFL, they have a different set of plays based upon their unique skillsets vs the starter, which is why they are often successful upon stepping into the game when needed (i.e., as starter or emergency sub)- the opposing D doesn't have much of a clue of what to expect, at least for that particular game. Back to a 2-QB system under these scenarios - the opponent would simply prepare themselves for the #2 QB as well as the starter.

The former is the reason why pro handicappers, myself included, don't dock any points for the majority of 2nd stringers starting their first games in any season. Only the most elite QB's are worth any points to we in the biz.

Chris Leak and Tim Tebow in 2006.
09-07-2015 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.