UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on bjcc facility
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Thoughts on bjcc facility
Does the bjcc facility solve the problems of legion field?
I think it solves some.
New venue means excitment and obviously bright and shiny
The distance from campus is a concern to me
Overall the location is better than lesion, but not great.

I still think an OCS would be better, but since watts won't let us go into debt to build a stadium, this might be the best idea.

Anyone have thoughts?
09-05-2015 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

RE: Thoughts on bjcc facility
(09-05-2015 08:04 AM)smcleod Wrote:  Does the bjcc facility solve the problems of legion field?
I think it solves some.
New venue means excitment and obviously bright and shiny
The distance from campus is a concern to me
Overall the location is better than lesion, but not great.

I still think an OCS would be better, but since watts won't let us go into debt to build a stadium, this might be the best idea.

Anyone have thoughts?

The new stadium needs to be on campus! Period! End of story! The BOT knows that a OCS will have a much bigger effect on UAB football than playing in a public facility which is too big for our games. Ask Tulane how they like playing in the Super Dome and why they built their own stadium.
09-05-2015 08:39 AM
uab278 Offline
All American

push for a stadium in Rail Road park near region field If we can't get it on campus. I'm sure something could be worked out. You know we need an on campus stadium. I know you too well brother.
09-05-2015 08:45 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
There is no BJCC facility. There wont be a BJCC facility in the near future, if ever. The BoT saying they support UAB football using a BJCC football facility is the exact same thing as the BoT saying "The BoT supports keeping UAB football at Legion field until it is bulldozed, and letting the football program be bulldozed with it." It just sounds nicer when you say it their way.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 09:00 AM by BlazerMatt.)
09-05-2015 08:59 AM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

The city has no plans of building UAB a football stadium by themselves.
09-05-2015 09:05 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
This notion is simply a crimson herring.
09-05-2015 09:13 AM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Indeed. Ray is fapping.
09-05-2015 09:14 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
UAB"s home games for any sport should be on campus or close to the south side. That space at the BJCC should go for a new basketball arena.

Looks like outside entities will have to build UAB a stadium.

If a dome or whatever is built in Birmingham by the bjcc will that bring uat back to Birmingham, since they like neutral site games or off campus games playing in Dallas and Atlanta and having not played in the ham since 96?
09-05-2015 10:23 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
UAB will play in what is being called a "Multi Purpose Facility" but in reality will be a domed convention arena which will be converted to a 25,000-30,000 stadium for games.

Plans have been drawn, a developer has been selected, and a budget has been all but agreed to. It will be located where the west parking lot is by the Civic Center and South of the Cemetery.

I am told this by someone who has been involved in the process. Nothing is formal, and nothing has been publicly or privately presented yet. But that is how it is coming together.

I could be wrong, and you can believe it or not. This what I have been told by someone with whom I have had a 25 year business and personal relationship.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 10:53 AM by PTBlazer.)
09-05-2015 10:50 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(09-05-2015 10:50 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  UAB will play in what is being called a "Multi Purpose Facility" but in reality will be a domed convention arena which will be converted to a 25,000-30,000 stadium for games.

Plans have been drawn, a developer has been selected, and a budget has been all but agreed to. It will be located where the west parking lot is by the Civic Center and South of the Cemetery.

I am told this by someone who has been involved in the process. Nothing is formal, and nothing has been publicly or privately presented yet. But that is how it is coming together.

I could be wrong, and you can believe it or not. This what I have been told by someone with whom I have had a 25 year business and personal relationship.

Well if this is the case, this could be built on the southside. Maybe even resemble the Carrier Dome if that's the name Syracuse still use.
09-05-2015 10:58 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
(09-05-2015 10:58 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 10:50 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  UAB will play in what is being called a "Multi Purpose Facility" but in reality will be a domed convention arena which will be converted to a 25,000-30,000 stadium for games.

Well if this is the case, this could be built on the southside. Maybe even resemble the Carrier Dome if that's the name Syracuse still use.

Maybe I wasn't clear. They are building a Convention Arena which can be used for football. They are not building a UAB football facility.

Like when the NFL teams used to play in baseball stadiums. Nice, but not a real football facility.
09-05-2015 11:04 AM
Advertisement

nicknitro19 Offline
Special Teams

OCS only. Any use of facilities and stadium built by the county and/or city will have to be negotiated with elected officials. Meaning it will be different ones in the future some, who might get greedy and charge us more.
09-05-2015 11:06 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(09-05-2015 11:04 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  

Maybe I wasn't clear. They are building a Convention Arena which can be used for football. They are not building a UAB football facility.

Like when the NFL teams used to play in baseball stadiums. Nice, but not a real football facility.

Maybe I wasn't clear if someone anyone build something like this Im not for it first off, but it could fit nicely on the southside with all that's going on with park side. I would much rather watch a game at Legion ,but this could spur development on the northside on the flip side with uptown

Ive thought that UAB for a long time now should look at Syracuse and how they use their muti-purpose facility (basketball and football ). Idaho diddle dome or whatever it's called now is the picture I get of this project. Oakland still use the football/ baseball format and is the last of that kind.
09-05-2015 11:28 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

They planning to build this in the wwst side of the bjcc property at the farthest point away from uptown and the hotels? That makes no sense.
09-05-2015 11:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
PT there are several design concepts out there and we have all bee asked to keep them quiet.

Just sayin.
09-05-2015 12:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

It'd be a repeat of the present problems with Legion Field, and would probably hurt the city more than help. The distance from UAB would be the worst part for sure, but one would have to think that the city would surely lose some big time events. The US Women's Soccer team probably wouldn't play in a small multipurpose facility, and the Classic would surely opt to just go home and home at that point.

An on campus stadium is definitely the best for UAB. Being able to walk from the dorms to the game is big, and the benefits of a stadium would open up a whole new world of options for the university. If the Barons can do it and see some success, then it makes sense to expect the same of UAB. They should just select a site near Region's Field to round off that section of the city, watch a couple of more restaurants and hotels pop up in the area, and pat themselves on the back when the money starts rolling in.
09-05-2015 12:19 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(09-05-2015 11:28 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  

Maybe I wasn't clear if someone anyone build something like this Im not for it first off, but it could fit nicely on the southside with all that's going on with park side. I would much rather watch a game at Legion ,but this could spur development on the northside on the flip side with uptown

Ive thought that UAB for a long time now should look at Syracuse and how they use their muti-purpose facility (basketball and football ). Idaho diddle dome or whatever it's called now is the picture I get of this project. Oakland still use the football/ baseball format and is the last of that kind.

What would be the purpose of putting it on the Southside when all of the major hotels are near the BJCC? It is for conventions, not UAB. UAB needs it's own facility separate from what the BJCC does.
09-05-2015 01:03 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(09-05-2015 01:03 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 11:28 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  

What would be the purpose of putting it on the Southside when all of the major hotels are near the BJCC? It is for conventions, not UAB. UAB needs it's own facility separate from what the BJCC does.

What major hotels you speak of there's about two I would call major maybe three when Redmont finish improvements.

I get it's not for UAB, I'm saying if I'm administration and looking out for UAB's best interest I would want it on the southside close to campus and the students. I'm not totally knocking the idea but I'd rather stay at legion.
09-05-2015 01:18 PM
JxGx78 Offline
1st String

A BJCC facility is clearly second best, but it would be a huge step-up from Legion Field. The locations is an improvement. BJCC is right next to the central business district, there are some nice restaurants and bars around there. I really like the Southern Kitchen and Todd English Pub at UpTown. It should also be much easier to get the over the mountain crowd, that is concerned about safety at Legion Field, to a brand-new BJCC facility.

My biggest concern is size. I hope its no bigger than 40K. The right size for UAB, it likely to small for some of the other possible events. If the new stadium is sized for the Magic City Classic or an Alabama game, I don't see it as an improvement for UAB.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 01:45 PM by JxGx78.)
09-05-2015 01:43 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

30k will be too small unless we hire Neil Callaway from WKU or Mcgee from Louisville after they run off Clark.
09-05-2015 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.