Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2015-16 Men's Basketball
Bookmark and Share
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
2015-16 Men's Basketball
Roster has been updated. Biggest changes with Rowley and Tot, both up 10 lbs. Sheldon actually down a few pounds. Seacat comes in at 6'9", 235lbs.
09-04-2015 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

RE: 2015-16 Men's Basketball
Fairly in depth preview of the CAA. Actually prefer the lower expectations for this team.
https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpres...l-preview/
09-18-2015 02:13 AM
A Quest Called Tribe Offline
2nd String

(09-18-2015 02:13 AM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Fairly in depth preview of the CAA. Actually prefer the lower expectations for this team.

Interesting. It is going to be a different look without Marcus on the floor, but the silver lining will be a more balanced attack on offense. Some of our best games last season were the ones where Marcus scored maybe 12 or 15 points and we were getting contributions up and down the bench.

And I love Oliver Tot, but I think the main man at point this year will be David Cohn. Haven't seen any recent play, but he looked like a fantastic true PG in practice last season. I thought he had a great motor and quick hands on defense, which made him a lot of fun to watch.
09-18-2015 08:35 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

A forgotten player with the arrival of Cohn is Michael Schlotman. I actually think he will be much more comfortable and involved this season. The minimal times I saw him in scrimmages as a true freshman he stood out. A couple of years ago, Shaver raved about Schlotman to be the freshman to make the biggest impact (over Prewitt). So, at a minimum, Shaver loves him.

I'm curious to see how Rowleys skills translate to college and how he is used. If he is up to the challenge and his shooting is as advertised, it could completely change the offensive dynamic of the team.

There are a lot of questions that need answered in the post-Marcus era.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 09:28 AM by mrjoolius.)
09-18-2015 08:42 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2015 02:13 AM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Fairly in depth preview of the CAA. Actually prefer the lower expectations for this team.
Was it odd to anyone else that Omar was barely mentioned? I do expect big things next year out of Tot and Cohn but I just assumed Prewitt would be our leading scorer. I think defenses will key on him far more than Dixon as well.
09-18-2015 11:43 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M

This is pretty close to expectations.

I think they got the 1 and 2 teams right - though I still think Northeastern's discipline will beat a running/gunning Hofstra on most nights.

Same with 3-5 - the teams are probably right though the order, not sure. I just don't see all this laden talent at JMU. Delaware was one of the hotter teams closing last year. And we seem to me to be underrated.

I think there is a tendency to put too much stock in the loss of Marcus, particularly when it comes to the media and their love fest with glitter. Marcus was the flashpoint within a very team oriented offense. I will miss him though with our returnees and new faces, I don't see us falling from #1 to #5.

I also like how our schedule starts this year with two CAA home games against the bottom, Charleston and Towson. Getting an early lead builds confidence.

I look forward to our taking over the Baltimore Arena again.
09-18-2015 12:00 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: 2015-16 Men's Basketball
(09-18-2015 12:00 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I think there is a tendency to put too much stock in the loss of Marcus, particularly when it comes to the media and their love fest with glitter. Marcus was the flashpoint within a very team oriented offense. I will miss him though with our returnees and new faces, I don't see us falling from #1 to #5.

I think the team oriented offense will pay dividends. There were many times where guys stood around Marcus-watching and the offense stagnated. I'm hoping without that scoring focus guys will stay involved and invested. That positive also leads to the big question. In crunch time, when a score is needed, who demands the ball? Will it be Omar? Daniel Dixon? Tarpey? Someone new like Cohn?
09-18-2015 12:25 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I'm thinking we should finish in the top two. I'm glad to see us ranked 5th. I hope the opposition believes it...
09-18-2015 12:29 PM
Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

We are certainly better than fifth...should be in the mix amongst the top three.

I take high quality and improved play of Tarpey-Dixon-Prewitt as a given, So excellence of season will hinge on several key things...

*Quality of point guard play...will it be Schlotman, Cohn or Tot. Probably a mixture of all three
but, I'm looking at Tot to take over in crunch time.

*Center play...Both Sheldon and Whitman must get better, the latter more aggressive in using his natural talents and the former more consistent in scoring. Seacat with lots of potential but if Sheldon/Whitman tandem perform Seacat might be redshirted.

*Malinowski, Rowley, Burchfield...one or more of these guys must continue to improve and
provide the important depth this team needs. If one of these guys can really breakout to
higher level it would be huge.

*How will team react to thirty second shot clock? Every team, of course, faces this, but with our three-point shot oriented offense it is especially critical how we handle it.

*Our schedule is very tough. Forget the two lower classification home games, the rest of the schedule has no mercy. Out-of-conference games all tough one against very good teams with some super players. We could be better than last year but not win twenty games.
09-18-2015 01:34 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
I know that this is a pipe dream, sort of like I am playing fantasy basketball, but if Seacat comes in truly capable of contributing immediately, and if Jack Whitman is now completely healthy and ready to play like the 3 star player we recruited, I wonder if Tony would ever explore the opportunity of playing Jack at the 4 position on the floor at the same time as Sean or Seacat, giving us the chance to put a big lineup on the floor.

Cohn was a 3 star player out of high school and made the Chicago Sun times first team all state team, a team that included Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor. Tony thought enough of him that he brought him in as a transfer even though we are pretty deep at the guard position. I am guessing that he likes the ball in his hands and is not afraid to shoot the rock. He is not Marcus, but if can give us another fearless scorer who gets everyone involved in our offense, we can be very good.

This is the deepest Tribe team that I can remember. All 10 players that return played minutes at important times last year. I think that we are going to love Rowley and that he will make positive contributions as part of our 4 man wing rotation Prewitt, Malinowski, and Tarpey. And if Seacat is physically ready to play immediately, I see no reason to redshirt him if he can make our front court better and deeper.

The first basketball magazine that I saw picked us fourth, behind of Hofstra, Northeastern, and JMU. I think we should be picked third, ahead of JMU. Imagine us losing 3 starters two years ago and still being picked 2 or 3 last year, and losing the conference player of the year and still being picked in the top 4 this year. We are nobody's doormat anymore. Now if we could just kick down the door to the Big Dance.
09-18-2015 02:40 PM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I really like the praise of Tarpey from the article. Very much deserved.
09-21-2015 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribeDad Offline
Water Engineer

3 days into the new season. Not much chatter on here or from the team. When will Coach Shaver address the media.
10-05-2015 12:25 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

My take:

With the experience returning, a better chance at springing a surprise opening game, then we've had in a while. NC State will be very talented, but with new players looking to fill the loss of Lacey, Turner and Washington, they may struggle for chemistry early on. If Terry and Daniel can slow down Cat Barber without getting in foul trouble, or, if we get Barber in foul trouble, it will be interesting.....

After the tripod of Tarpey, Prewitt and Dixon, will be interesting to see if there's a breakout season from anyone in the rest of a solid, talented, young bunch. Imagine practices will be more competitive this year vying for playing time than ever in Tribe history. Consequently, expect this team to keep improving start of the season to finish.

Terry's team to lead, but will anyone be able to step up and consistently be the go-to-guy with the game on the line?

We have as strong a perimeter game as anyone in the league, but how far this team goes will depend on the ability of Sean and Jack to lift our post play well above prior years. That verdict is a big unknown. Can't imagine Hunter will have made a big enough leap since his senior HS year to be a factor. On the other hand, he will be much needed the following year, so, we may not be able to afford him redshirting this year, if only to get valuable experience under his belt in prep for next year. Hofstra and Northeastern will be much stronger and more talented inside this year, and we won't contend unless we're able to hold up to that.

Would love to see with Terry's and Daniel's leadership, for this team to truly play shut-down defense, game in and game out. Something we haven't seen.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:52 PM by Tribeheart.)
10-05-2015 11:45 PM
A Quest Called Tribe Offline
2nd String

(10-05-2015 11:45 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  We have as strong a perimeter game as anyone in the league, but how far this team goes will depend on the ability of Sean and Jack to lift our post play well above prior years. That verdict is a big unknown. Can't imagine Hunter will have made a big enough leap since his senior HS year to be a factor. On the other hand, he will be much needed the following year, so, we may not be able to afford him redshirting this year, if only to get valuable experience under his belt in prep for next year. Hofstra and Northeastern will be much stronger and more talented inside this year, and we won't contend unless we're able to hold up to that.

Has anyone seen a tape on Seacat or seen him practice? Based on his height/weight and appearance as an incoming freshman I am excited for the years to come.

I hope the coaches can light a fire under Whitman, because I think he's got great upside, and he's going to have a lot more opportunities this season to turn that into production. I think he could be a great CAA forward and a critical asset for this team if he puts it all together.

With Rowley coming in as a small forward/swingman, I really like our depth at forward over last year's roster. I am betting the "experts" will pass on us because we're losing Thornton, but on paper this should be as deep and well-rounded a team from top to bottom as any I have seen the Tribe put on the floor.
10-06-2015 07:23 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I would like to see a lineup on the floor that looks like this:

Tot
Dixon
Prewitt
Tarpey
Sheldon

or this:

Cohn
Dixon
Prewitt
Tarpey
Rowley

The first is big and physical and the other is fast and can shoot the lights out. Either could be a solid mix.
10-06-2015 09:16 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

To start, I think you see

Cohn
Dixon
Prewitt
Tarpey
Sheldon

I believe with no Marcus and depth of similar players you will see a platooning of guys with extended minutes to whoever has the hot hand.

I wouldn't discount Shaver's love for Schlotman either.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 09:38 AM by mrjoolius.)
10-06-2015 09:35 AM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

I tend to agree with Mr J on the starters. Although Marcus is a big loss, if Cohn (or Tot, or whomever) can consistently find the open man, I think we will actually score more and more easily, and be harder to defend than last season.

We have three proven scorers and a few more with excellent potential and they all appear to be the types that don't mind sharing the load. If no one suddenly grows a super-ego, this could be a very fast moving, very fun team to watch, scoring from all over the court.
10-06-2015 09:48 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I think we'll see Omar and Terry get lots of playing time with some player rotation in the post and guard spots. Daniel has proved he can shoot lights out and defend but has looked more comfortable coming off the bench at times. It'll be interesting to see how we handle to glut of Mike, David, and Ollie because they likely will not all see the floor at the same time.
10-06-2015 09:51 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

With the glut of interchangeable parts, I would think a lot of the playing time pecking order will come from defensive production. I love Omar, but I'm not sure if I'd call him a defensive stalwart. Cohn is a spark plug and applies pressure on defenses, but I've never heard of him mentioned as a great defender.

Go down the roster. Who defends? That's who will play the most minutes.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 10:01 AM by mrjoolius.)
10-06-2015 09:56 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
Tony said at our gathering last Wednesday night that Cohn, Tot, and Schlotman are competing for the starting point guard position. He also noted that Schlotman looks to have regained the confidence that he has lost the last couple of years because of injuries and that he is playing like the player that we recruited, a player that Tony said he envisioned as a three year starter when we signed him
10-06-2015 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.