Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Teams Can Now Fly Into LC
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Teams Can Now Fly Into LC
Quote:LAS CRUCES >> For the first time since Hal Mumme coached the New Mexico State football team, the Aggies will be able to fly out of Las Cruces for most of their road games this season.

NMSU athletics director Mario Moccia has teamed up with the City of Las Cruces and Mesilla Valley Transportation owner Royal Jones to secure a trailer and a cab and driver to haul equipment for the football team and the band, beginning with Saturday's season opener at Florida.

Quote:For Garza and Moccia, traveling out of Las Cruces makes life for the Aggies easier while potentially bringing opponents into Las Cruces.

"The reality is this will allow other teams to fly into Las Cruces," Moccia said. "I sent a letter to all of the other athletic directors and said, 'Las Cruces Airport is now open.'"

Link

Awhile back I posted about NMSU's Equipment truck, it is the first time in about 7 years that NMSU has had one.
09-02-2015 10:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Teams Can Now Fly Into LC
(09-02-2015 10:25 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:LAS CRUCES >> For the first time since Hal Mumme coached the New Mexico State football team, the Aggies will be able to fly out of Las Cruces for most of their road games this season.

NMSU athletics director Mario Moccia has teamed up with the City of Las Cruces and Mesilla Valley Transportation owner Royal Jones to secure a trailer and a cab and driver to haul equipment for the football team and the band, beginning with Saturday's season opener at Florida.

Quote:For Garza and Moccia, traveling out of Las Cruces makes life for the Aggies easier while potentially bringing opponents into Las Cruces.

"The reality is this will allow other teams to fly into Las Cruces," Moccia said. "I sent a letter to all of the other athletic directors and said, 'Las Cruces Airport is now open.'"

Link

Awhile back I posted about NMSU's Equipment truck, it is the first time in about 7 years that NMSU has had one.

WAT
09-02-2015 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nsavandal09 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: I-D-AHO!
So the big hold up was just arranging for renting a truck?
09-03-2015 01:15 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Does that mean the NMSU band is going to Florida?? Or just that it is theoretically possible for the band to go too.
09-03-2015 01:16 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(09-03-2015 01:16 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Does that mean the NMSU band is going to Florida?? Or just that it is theoretically possible for the band to go too.

I would be surprised if the band is going to Florida, but maybe they are. They could have mentioned it moving the bands equipment, because they do travel to UTEP and UNM games.
09-03-2015 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(09-03-2015 01:15 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  So the big hold up was just arranging for renting a truck?

The way things worked under the former AD I am not surprised by how things were transported or not. Problems would fester unless it made it into the local media, then he would do something about it. I could go on blaming him for stuff, but he is in the past. From my perspective the Athletic Department was not being operated like it should have been by past AD's.
09-03-2015 02:10 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State

Link

I'm really confused. What does the truck have to do with the airport opening?
09-03-2015 02:36 PM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2015 01:51 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 01:16 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Does that mean the NMSU band is going to Florida?? Or just that it is theoretically possible for the band to go too.

I would be surprised if the band is going to Florida, but maybe they are. They could have mentioned it moving the bands equipment, because they do travel to UTEP and UNM games.

That makes sense. Florida would be quite a trek - akin of the Miami band going all the way to Pitt or something. Having that as an option for travel in shorter distance games will really make a difference!! I know the Miami band has just finally this year gotten some type of real "equipment" so we don't have to stuff our entire music school into one or two buses. I hope it allows the Aggie Band to be able to attend more away games at less cost and time.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 02:40 PM by Ole Blue.)
09-03-2015 02:40 PM
WashingtonAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NMSU
(09-03-2015 02:40 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  

That makes sense. Florida would be quite a trek - akin of the Miami band going all the way to Pitt or something. Having that as an option for travel in shorter distance games will really make a difference!! I know the Miami band has just finally this year gotten some type of real "equipment" so we don't have to stuff our entire music school into one or two buses. I hope it allows the Aggie Band to be able to attend more away games at less cost and time.

Does the SEC allow opponents bands to perform? There are a few conferences that do not allow it. The PAC-12 does, which adds tremendously to the college atmosphere IMO.
09-03-2015 02:49 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2015 02:49 PM)WashingtonAggie Wrote:  

Does the SEC allow opponents bands to perform? There are a few conferences that do not allow it. The PAC-12 does, which adds tremendously to the college atmosphere IMO.

I am pretty sure they do. I went to the Middle Tennessee @ UTK game a few years back (in the dark days of Blue Raider football) and our band went. I think in conference games might be different, but they allowed our band to go in an OOC game. The ACC does allow it for sure -- Miami band goes to FSU every year, and we always see a few opponents' bands at Sun Life each year. Bethune will probably come this Saturday I think. and I absolutely agree -- having two bands really makes games a lot more exciting!!
09-03-2015 02:51 PM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana

About 500 miles further than that.
09-03-2015 02:52 PM
WashingtonAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NMSU
(09-03-2015 02:36 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  

Link

The Las Cruces airport does not have a long enough runway for heavy takeoffs. So planes loaded with equipment can't fly out. But since NMSU now only needs to fly players, lighter takeoffs can occur. So out-of-town teams that also use equipment trucks can now send their charters directly to Las Cruces instead of having to bus an additional 45 minutes from El Paso.
09-03-2015 02:53 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2015 02:52 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

About 500 miles further than that.

Yep you're right. But you get the gist. Maybe if we were to play at Minnesota that would be more apt of a comparison.
09-03-2015 02:57 PM
Advertisement

DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-03-2015 01:15 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  So the big hold up was just arranging for renting a truck?

And figuring out what the hold up was.

There was a presidential campaign visit some years ago and the C-17
put big ruts in the runway which was a semi stink for subsequent repair costs.

So I think powers that be put the weight limit on.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 03:00 PM by DoubleAggie.)
09-03-2015 02:58 PM
LUSportsFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lamar Cardinals
(09-03-2015 02:36 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  

Link

Edit: I see WashingtonAggie gave a great response above.

Just guessing, but it may be weight considerations. Las Cruces International Airport is at 4,457' elevation.

I round tripped a plane (Convair T-29) while on active duty in the Air Force from Oklahoma City (Tinker AFB) to Reno-Tahoe International many years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_C-131_Samaritan

Reno-Tahoe was at 4,415' elevation. The runway was about 3,500' longer than then one in Las Cruces. Take-off roll was within limits, but a whole lot longer than at lower elevation. The performance was expected because of our pre-flight calculations, but we had to balance the weight of our passengers, fuel, temperature, and elevation to make sure we were within limits.

That plane had a reciprocating engine (non-jet), but performance was impacted by both elevation and temperature. The solution would be to lighten the load within limits required by regulations. The same considerations apply to jet aircraft.

(I don't think teams would be flying the same plane I flew. The Air Force did away with them in the mid 1970's. I flew one from Oklahoma City to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ to leave it in the "bone yard" and flew back commercial air.) 04-cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_boneyard
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 03:34 PM by LUSportsFan.)
09-03-2015 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.