Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is this the first ever expansion driven by baseball?
Bookmark and Share
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I know we all think football drives the expansion bus, but the more I think about it, the choice of Coastal Carolina seems to have been driven by baseball (and maybe even to a lesser extent, soccer). I understand the SBC has prided it self on its baseball but has struggled some since re-alignment. Coastal's football is questionable and their basketball has been good at the Big South level but they aren't really world beaters. It seems to me that with Coastal, the SBC has immediately returned to its place as a quality baseball league.
09-01-2015 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Is this the first ever expansion driven by baseball?
(09-01-2015 06:53 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  I know we all think football drives the expansion bus, but the more I think about it, the choice of Coastal Carolina seems to have been driven by baseball (and maybe even to a lesser extent, soccer). I understand the SBC has prided it self on its baseball but has struggled some since re-alignment. Coastal's football is questionable and their basketball has been good at the Big South level but they aren't really world beaters. It seems to me that with Coastal, the SBC has immediately returned to its place as a quality baseball league.

They've recently hosted a super regional which is no easy task to accomplish. Heck, just making it to a super regional is no easy task.

I see some very good days ahead for SunBelt baseball.04-cheers
09-01-2015 07:10 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I doubt it was driven by baseball or soccer, but being strong in those sports certainly didn't hurt.
09-01-2015 07:19 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

yep, that's what I thinks happening, if the plan is to bring in all sports except football, and then bring it in 2 or 3 years, I guess, that's okay. But it would be idiotic to bring football in now, they are not ready to play, or support FBS football,
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 07:27 AM by moehler.)
09-01-2015 07:22 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
It was driven mostly by oly sports and the fact they have the funding to compete in football down the road.
09-01-2015 07:23 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(09-01-2015 07:22 AM)moehler Wrote:  yep, that's exactly whats happening, hope the SBC isn't stupid enough to bring football in along with the other sports, need to wait 2 or 3 years, they aren't ready to play and support FBS football.

I don't think Coastal would have made this move unless football was part of the deal.

There would be very little in it for us unless the FBS football was part of the deal.

With entry fees and exit fees, not getting the FBS football piece would be a bad move for Coastal.

Also, I highly doubt we would have scheduled a "historic announcement" just to say that football is staying FCS.

I have no doubt football was part of the deal.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 07:28 AM by CoastalAlum2011.)
09-01-2015 07:25 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-01-2015 06:53 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  Coastal's football is questionable ….

I disagree with that…Coastal is a legit top-10 FCS team. And they aren't really a flash in the pan either….they have recruited legit talent for a while.

In that respect they are ahead of a lot of teams that moved up when they moved up.
09-01-2015 07:32 AM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(09-01-2015 07:32 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 06:53 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  Coastal's football is questionable ….

I disagree with that…Coastal is a legit top-10 FCS team. And they aren't really a flash in the pan either….they have recruited legit talent for a while.

In that respect they are ahead of a lot of teams that moved up when they moved up.

You are correct, by questionable I meant attendance and the like. There was a time not long ago where they had like one of best all-time winning percentage in football. Kind like ODU, they haven't really ever had a bad season, they just haven't had that many seasons in total.
09-01-2015 07:43 AM
CHANTCHANT Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Coastal Carolin
(09-01-2015 07:43 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 07:32 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

You are correct, by questionable I meant attendance and the like. There was a time not long ago where they had like one of best all-time winning percentage in football. Kind like ODU, they haven't really ever had a bad season, they just haven't had that many seasons in total.

I want to agree with this, but I don't. I feel our football program (Today) will not fair well with the Top 8 in the Funbelt. I do feel next season our Soccer Team (cough soccer) and baseball teams will have immediate success within the conference.
09-01-2015 08:18 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Just glad Sun Belt realignment is over for a while now we can all focus on getting better.
09-01-2015 08:28 AM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

It was driven by the process of elimination.
09-01-2015 08:33 AM
Advertisement

USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
Coastal's basketball is no joke. Cliff Ellis took USA to a couple of NCAA tounament appearances and 3 of our Sun Belt championships (back when the Sun Belt was good too) when he was with us. The guy is a class act and outstanding coach.
09-01-2015 09:02 AM
Colonels12 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
(09-01-2015 09:02 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  Coastal's basketball is no joke. Cliff Ellis took USA to a couple of NCAA tounament appearances and 3 of our Sun Belt championships (back when the Sun Belt was good too) when he was with us. The guy is a class act and outstanding coach.
I'm pretty confident EKU would be better in basketball than CCU. We have competed for the OVC the last few years. Murray State almost, should of, made the OVC a 2 team conference last season.

The quality in the Big South for basketball is not that good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
09-01-2015 09:48 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(09-01-2015 07:23 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  It was driven mostly by oly sports and the fact they have the funding to compete in football down the road.

That's it in a nutshell. Football has great potential and likely wouldn't have been added without some quality. But it was the fact that CCU was a well-rounded athletic program, with several Olympic sports being nationally recognized along with their geography that made the difference. Their non-football total attendance would have ranked third in the SBC last year as well (http://csnbbs.com/thread-744431-page-3.html).
09-01-2015 04:39 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(09-01-2015 09:02 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  Coastal's basketball is no joke. Cliff Ellis took USA to a couple of NCAA tounament appearances and 3 of our Sun Belt championships (back when the Sun Belt was good too) when he was with us. The guy is a class act and outstanding coach.

I seem to remember him having a few good years at Auburn as well.
09-01-2015 05:09 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
We have ourselves a good, if not great, little baseball conference now. I'm looking forward to a weekend trip to North Myrtle where I will stay in the least sticky hotel I can afford, sit on the beach or watch some baseball. Knowing my luck, that series will be played in February.
09-01-2015 06:10 PM
Advertisement

CCUstudent Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CCU
What I can say is that Coastal's overall athletics are first rate. Our soccer team is currently ranked 11th in the nation. We've already beaten VCU and Old Dominian on the road. Our basketball team hosts and beats SEC teams pretty often and held their own pretty well against Virginia and Wisconsin in the tournament the last two years. Baseball speaks for itself. We beat Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest last year. You won't find many other schools that are this dominant across the board. So I thoroughly expect us to strengthen the Sun Belt all around.
09-01-2015 08:41 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
^I do too as well. Glad to have y'all aboard.
09-03-2015 10:14 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
They lack the tradition that we are accustomed to for a football program, but they have a good squad and excellent programs outside of football.

Having another premier baseball team is great for the SBC. I think it is excellent for Georgia Southern to have a close opponent who can make their program better from the competition. Also the exposure that CCU brings in baseball is what's BEST FOR BUSINESS for the SBC!
09-03-2015 10:21 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
There are already a number of schools in Division I with better home attendance for baseball than men's basketball - I'm not suggesting that needs to be the case in the Sun Belt, but it would not be inconceivable to think that baseball could be self-supporting at many Sun Belt institutions.
09-04-2015 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.