Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EKU AD: We expect to hear 'Verdict' Soon
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/08/27/40085....html?rh=1

RICHMOND — The Ohio Valley Conference has awarded 67 football championships in its history — and Eastern Kentucky has competed for every one of them. Yet it is possible that 2015 will be the final OVC crown the Colonels pursue.

Eastern has been open about its desire to move from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision. At present, an invitation from the Sun Belt Conference appears to be the only viable path for EKU to enter the FBS.

New Eastern Athletics Director Steve Lochmueller said Tuesday he expected to hear "sooner rather than later" what the Sun Belt will do about expansion.

In July, a Sun Belt expansion committee visited EKU. League officials later visited Coastal Carolina and New Mexico State. Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson has stated publicly that the Sun Belt would like to add a school that could serve as a "travel partner" for Appalachian State in Boone, N.C.

"If they are going to have that for the '16-17 season, time is becoming short," Lochmueller said.

The Sun Belt's 11 full members now include two schools each in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia plus Appalachian State. Benson has said the conference would like to be able to split into East and West divisions for scheduling purposes.

Presumably, the desire for an Appalachian State travel partner makes New Mexico State — which, along with Idaho, is now a football-only Sun Belt Conference school — a tough sell for full league membership.

How do EKU and Coastal Carolina "match up?"

Geography seems a wash between Eastern and Coastal Carolina. Google Maps says the EKU campus is 268 miles from Appy State, while Coastal Carolina's home in Conway, S.C., is 285 miles from Boone, N.C.

Coastal Carolina became an autonomous university in 1993. According to the Equity in Athletics Data Base, Coastal had a $20,548,216 athletics budget for 2013-14 (the most recent figures available), while EKU spent $13,033,262 on sports.

Yet while EKU's Roy Kidd Stadium has a listed capacity of 22,000 (due to a renovation, it will hold less in 2015), the biggest knock on Coastal Carolina seems to be that its football stadium seats 9,214. The school reportedly has promised the Sun Belt it will expand immediately to 20,000-plus seats if it is invited into the league.

"Coastal being such a young school ... most everything they have is brand new," said Lochmueller, the 1970s Kentucky Wildcats basketball and (briefly) football player. "... They've got a very excellent baseball and softball complex. A brand new basketball gymnasium. Competition-wise, they're a good school."

When the Sun Belt officials left Richmond in July, Lochmueller said, Eastern had the impression they liked what they had seen.

"We showed them our facilities," the AD said. "Those that we feel like need to be improved, we told them what our plan was. In our particular instance, we need to improve our baseball and softball (facilities). The Sun Belt is a big baseball and softball league. And we have a plan in place to, we have the financing and the funding, to do both softball and baseball."

Should Eastern receive the Sun Belt nod, Loch mueller said, the school has a five-year projection that sees its athletics budget growing to "about $20, $21 million."

"We believe what we were told from the Sun Belt folks is that, with the baseball and softball facilities being upgraded, we are in pretty good shape for an invitation," Lochmueller said. "It's like we're waiting to go on a date, we're just waiting on that invite."

If the Sun Belt asks EKU to the prom, Lochmueller says Eastern would join its new league July 1, though it would not become a full football member until 2018. That could make the 2015-16 season the Colonels' final one sharing a conference with ancient rivals Murray State and Morehead State.

Lochmueller said Eastern has not had any specific conversations with its fellow in-state schools about the ramifications of the Colonels leaving the OVC. "But we've been very transparent with the conference," he said.

Conversely, if the Sun Belt spurns EKU, Loch mueller said Eastern cannot let that burst its bubble.

"At this juncture, we've got all our cards with the Sun Belt," he said. "If we're not successful, we will continue to work hard and try to elevate every program here to the next level. Who knows about the future? I don't think realignment is over yet."
08-27-2015 10:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
RE: EKU AD: We expect to hear 'Verdict' Soon
(08-27-2015 10:01 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Appy State

I would officially like to welcome Coastal Carolina to the Sun Belt Conference.
08-27-2015 10:13 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
If this rumbling about Benson trying to get us this "medal of honor bowl" in south carolina is true, I can't help but think that really bolsters CCU's chances
08-27-2015 10:16 PM
rbostic218 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GaSouthern
The more and more this drags out the more I'm against either candidate. Nothing jumps out and grabs you about any of these choices. It may just be me.
08-27-2015 10:50 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-27-2015 10:50 PM)rbostic218 Wrote:  The more and more this drags out the more I'm against either candidate. Nothing jumps out and grabs you about any of these choices. It may just be me.

Ccu will step in and compete well for almost everything except maybe football immediately. Even football seems like it is in pretty good shape from a competitive standpoint to not flop early. Not sure the support will ever be great for ccu, but they have a good program.
08-27-2015 11:30 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-27-2015 10:50 PM)rbostic218 Wrote:  The more and more this drags out the more I'm against either candidate. Nothing jumps out and grabs you about any of these choices. It may just be me.

You're not alone. CCU and EKU will be there next year if we kick it down the road. Appy and Ga Southern were slam dunks.

I'm not in favor of either CCU or EKU. I'm not very opposed to them, just mildly opposed. For me its really related to CCU's small fan/alumni base and no history of attendance and EKU's closeness to UK.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick CCU. But I see no need to pick anyone at this point.

Both of these schools are more 'risky' than App or Georgia Southern
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 11:42 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
08-27-2015 11:39 PM
Advertisement

The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(08-27-2015 11:39 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

You're not alone. CCU and EKU will be there next year if we kick it down the road. Appy and Ga Southern were slam dunks.

I'm not in favor of either CCU or EKU. I'm not very opposed to them, just mildly opposed. For me its really related to CCU's small fan/alumni base and no history of attendance and EKU's closeness to UK.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick CCU. But I see no need to pick anyone at this point.

If you are waiting for two schools that aren't, we will never expand.
08-27-2015 11:47 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-27-2015 11:47 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

There are two that are slam dunks, but they aren't interested. There's a third, but its in North Dakota.
08-27-2015 11:55 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Correct. The only slam dunks are either too far away (NDSU) or would have to leave a current FBS league to do it (any CUSA School really)

I think CCU is a breakaway layup though, I mean yeah, we could blow the layup, but the odds are better. EKU is a free throw. Probably 75 percent chance that turns out well.

Or we could do what LFlorida Jag wants and go for the half court shot blindfolded with West Florida. I mean...you might make that once if you tried.
08-28-2015 01:16 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(08-27-2015 11:30 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

Ccu will step in and compete well for almost everything except maybe football immediately. Even football seems like it is in pretty good shape from a competitive standpoint to not flop early. Not sure the support will ever be great for ccu, but they have a good program.
Ranked number seven in FCS with a great coach .
Stadium expansion is all that is needed and they have the money.

Why do people keep forgetting EKU is starting over stadium wise ?
08-28-2015 03:12 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(08-28-2015 01:16 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Correct. The only slam dunks are either too far away (NDSU) or would have to leave a current FBS league to do it (any CUSA School really)

I think CCU is a breakaway layup though, I mean yeah, we could blow the layup, but the odds are better. EKU is a free throw. Probably 75 percent chance that turns out well.

Or we could do what LFlorida Jag wants and go for the half court shot blindfolded with West Florida. I mean...you might make that once if you tried.

we are the only option for these schools looking to move up. no other higher level conference is interested in them. I would be happier not adding either one for a while till they or someone else improves themselves and becomes a more desired candidate. no school playing at the highest level of college sports whines about traveling a few states over for a game. dont you guys think that wvu owned a map before they joined the b12. did utep whine about about traveling to ecu ? I think the tightness of the conference footprint is a factor to consider, just not the main one.
08-28-2015 07:10 AM
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

(08-28-2015 07:10 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

we are the only option for these schools looking to move up. no other higher level conference is interested in them. I would be happier not adding either one for a while till they or someone else improves themselves and becomes a more desired candidate. no school playing at the highest level of college sports whines about traveling a few states over for a game. dont you guys think that wvu owned a map before they joined the b12. did utep whine about about traveling to ecu ? I think the tightness of the conference footprint is a factor to consider, just not the main one.

sorry just cant get behind CC as a member, they just aren't in an area that will support collage athletics just too many other things to do on a Sat afternoon than to spend it watching CC vs Troy. I think after the novelity of being in the SBC wears off, and after a losing season or two, you will see their attendance drop consistently below 10,000 a game.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 07:57 AM by moehler.)
08-28-2015 07:56 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(08-28-2015 07:10 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

Clearly you've not met Appy fan . . . . .
08-28-2015 08:11 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

87, different day same line. I wish Texas St. had a plan and worked to execute it instead of waiting for others to tell you guys what to do.

None of the candidates are slam dunks and thus location is one factor that will be used. But hey spin it to fit your narrative on painting all App fans as cry babies that don't want to make the SBC better. Couldn't be further from the truth.
08-28-2015 08:30 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(08-28-2015 08:30 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  87, different day same line. I wish Texas St. had a plan and worked to execute it instead of waiting for others to tell you guys what to do.

None of the candidates are slam dunks and thus location is one factor that will be used. But hey spin it to fit your narrative on painting all App fans as cry babies that don't want to make the SBC better. Couldn't be further from the truth.

WoW . . . . You got all that from: "Clearly you've not met Appy fan."?

Either you're hyper-sensitive . . . Or you're reading much more into my 6 word response . . . . 04-cheers

If you're good with conference travel, glad to hear it . . .
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 08:37 AM by Bobcat87.)
08-28-2015 08:35 AM
MellowCorn Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: state of Texas

I don't really like either of these schools, as well.
CCU's stadium deal is lame. High schools in Texas have bigger stadiums(there are 10 hs stadiums in Austin that are bigger than CCU). How is it that they only seat 9000 people?? Having less than 10k at each game doesn't really tell me that they support their fb team very well. Having them expand their stadium...ONLY, if they get an invite says way too much about CCU.

Central Kentucky isn't a recruiting hot bed...and neither is SC. Recruiting seems to be very important to other realignment discussions...why not here?

Neither of these two schools carry their state...or even get close....let alone, have their own market. Aren't...support, fan base, attendance, and market...important factors for realignment?

I would rather the SBC wait if this is the best they can do, now. The conference doesn't need another school like Troy at this time.
08-28-2015 08:40 AM
Advertisement

Check Yosef Offline
1st String

No, it seems this board has a real problem with exaggerating app fans want for a travel partner, I know most of us app fans that have been on here for a year or more don't really care and I'm certain that a large number of us haven't whined about wanting a travel partner... guess one person was whining so you declare all app fans whiners on that point
08-28-2015 08:51 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-28-2015 08:35 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 08:30 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  87, different day same line. I wish Texas St. had a plan and worked to execute it instead of waiting for others to tell you guys what to do.

WoW . . . . You got all that from: "Clearly you've not met Appy fan."?

Either you're hyper-sensitive . . . Or you're reading much more into my 6 word response . . . . 04-cheers

If you're good with conference travel, glad to hear it . . .

Playing coy now. Come on, everyone knows your play here. By now you know my position as well.

I'm good with reasonable decisions that help App's position first and the SBCs second (these items tend to be one in the same).
08-28-2015 08:51 AM
bigCasu_ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
(08-28-2015 08:40 AM)MellowCorn Wrote:  

I don't really like either of these schools, as well.
CCU's stadium deal is lame. High schools in Texas have bigger stadiums(there are 10 hs stadiums in Austin that are bigger than CCU). How is it that they only seat 9000 people?? Having less than 10k at each game doesn't really tell me that they support their fb team very well. Having them expand their stadium...ONLY, if they get an invite says way too much about CCU.

Central Kentucky isn't a recruiting hot bed...and neither is SC. Recruiting seems to be very important to other realignment discussions...why not here?

Neither of these two schools carry their state...or even get close....let alone, have their own market. Aren't...support, fan base, attendance, and market...important factors for realignment?

I would rather the SBC wait if this is the best they can do, now. The conference doesn't need another school like Troy at this time.

Number of Sun Belt football championships
Troy 5
Texas State 0
08-28-2015 08:52 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Yeah neither school is exciting. App and GS were as exciting as FCS move ups can get. I'd rather see schools come up with travel funds for Montana and NDSU. At least they will elevate football in the conference.
08-28-2015 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.