Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: NQU keeps rolling them in
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Another example of the non-qualifier factory that continues in Huntington and a reason why Marshall will never be invited to the AAC: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../31832699/

Florida running back James Allen, who signed with the University of Louisville in February but failed to qualify for the Cardinals this season, will enroll instead at Marshall University,according to 247Sports.com.
08-17-2015 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: OT: NQU keeps rolling them in
He probably replaces this nonqualifier who was kicked out.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ean-louis/
08-17-2015 01:14 PM
TRest3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
Someone couldn't get into Louisville? Has the ACC forced them to tighten things up?
08-17-2015 01:18 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2015 01:18 PM)TRest3 Wrote:  Someone couldn't get into Louisville? ... .

03-rotfl

If Bobby Petrino couldn't get them in then that kids is sloooooooowwwwwwwww.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 01:26 PM by PirateMarv.)
08-17-2015 01:25 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

Who cares
08-17-2015 01:28 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-17-2015 01:28 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  Who cares

Its just gotten to the point where its laughable. Its such a disgrace to the university system in this country and college athletics.
08-17-2015 01:31 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

You. You responded. People that didn't care moved on by it.
08-17-2015 01:32 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
(08-17-2015 01:32 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

You. You responded. People that didn't care moved on by it.

I agree but I also strongly believe it is going on at many other schools but those schools are just better at not getting caught. I mean I know a big time LSU booster who told me that recent 1st round selection was basically illiterate. He went out to dinner with him during his soph year and the kid couldn't read the menu.
08-17-2015 01:36 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: OT: NQU keeps rolling them in
(08-17-2015 01:04 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Another example of the non-qualifier factory that continues in Huntington and a reason why Marshall will never be invited to the AAC: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../31832699/

Florida running back James Allen, who signed with the University of Louisville in February but failed to qualify for the Cardinals this season, will enroll instead at Marshall University,according to 247Sports.com.

ECU took non qualifiers for many years in CUSA and got invited to the American.
08-17-2015 01:59 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I really don't see the big deal.

If Marshall wants to take these kids and give them a shot it's fine, as long as they aren't breaking any rules like they do in other places where they have to create fake classes and have faculty change grades.

Marshall is at a severe disadvantage by not being in an Autonomy Five conference and they use this to even the playing surface. As long as it's allowed, who cares?
08-17-2015 02:10 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
(08-17-2015 02:10 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I really don't see the big deal.

If Marshall wants to take these kids and give them a shot it's fine, as long as they aren't breaking any rules like they do in other places where they have to create fake classes and have faculty change grades.

Marshall is at a severe disadvantage by not being in an Autonomy Five conference and they use this to even the playing surface. As long as it's allowed, who cares?

I would agree but only if the NCAA and these university's gave up on the marketing farce that these are "student-athletes". To say nothing about the fact that they claim they provide this amazing education instead of a legit salary for the billions in value that these "student-athletes" provide to these schools, despite the fact that many students don't have the foundation to take advantage of said education.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 02:21 PM by wavefan12.)
08-17-2015 02:16 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2015 02:10 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I really don't see the big deal.

Agreed. We are just taking advantage of what is allowed under the rules. The only reason the American doesnt allow it is because they continued on with the bylaws from the previous BCS/Big East days. I think most of the opposition is due to people not understanding how it all works. The kid in question committed to Louisville, graduated high school, but didnt score well enough on his SAT to enter Louisville. That essentially reopened his recruitment.
08-17-2015 02:57 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
If he didn't score well enough on the SATs to get into Louisville, he probably can't read.
08-17-2015 03:00 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Funny to see ecu posting about this. Didn't ecu do the same thing for many years?
08-17-2015 03:08 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

The issue is Marshall forces the kid to pay 10k for half a year then said recruit can't transfer to another school if they turn around their academics. It's like prep school but without the freedom to chose your next school.

These kids fall below NCAA guidelines based on scores to GPA. Most of time their grades are so bad they are barely passing HS forcing their test scores to be very high to pass ncaa basement entrance. All athletes to qualify have meet ncaa guidelines.

NQ is set at conference level example in SEC a college can have 4 NQ every year but max of two in FB.
08-17-2015 03:10 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

Most schools have 1 or 2 NQ per year but never as high as Marshall. The recruit is usually in state and pays in state tuition which lowers the cost instead of Marshall having recruit pay out of state most of the time.

UCF could in CUSA but don't think they ever did. NQ take a president/provost override so they are usually hard to get since they require a lot of red tape usually.

Either marshals policy is a form letter or president is a softy when comes to academics.
08-17-2015 03:20 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2015 03:10 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  The issue is Marshall forces the kid to pay 10k for half a year then said recruit can't transfer to another school if they turn around their academics. It's like prep school but without the freedom to chose your next school.

These kids fall below NCAA guidelines based on scores to GPA. Most of time their grades are so bad they are barely passing HS forcing their test scores to be very high to pass ncaa basement entrance. All athletes to qualify have meet ncaa guidelines.

NQ is set at conference level example in SEC a college can have 4 NQ every year but max of two in FB.

That is 100% not true. There is nothing holding back any student from transfering to another school if he/she gets their academics up enough to satisfy NCAA athletic requirements.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 03:26 PM by MUHERD76.)
08-17-2015 03:26 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Doesn't Boise do this too?
08-17-2015 03:27 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

"That is 100% not true. There is nothing holding back any student from transfering to another school if he/she gets their academics up enough to satisfy NCAA athletic requirements."

I meant transfer without penalty of losing a year of eligibility like at JUCO or Prep school.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2015 07:15 PM by Sideshow2313.)
08-17-2015 03:37 PM
toohandsome Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G4
(08-17-2015 03:27 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Doesn't Boise do this too?

Lol.

No. We've never had a NQ on scholarship. The last time we took one was likely in our Big West days (~'98).

FWIW, the MWC (like the AAC) doesn't allow NQ's.
08-17-2015 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.