Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Visited EKU Recently
Bookmark and Share
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Sun Belt Visited EKU Recently
Sorry if I missed this having already been posted.

According to a Richmond Register Article

Quote:EKU President Michael Benson told the group that last week they hosted the Sunbelt membership committee — which included the league commissioner — to show them steps the school has already taken to try to improve athletic facilities and to find out what else must be done to secure the coveted invitation.
08-04-2015 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

RE: Sun Belt Visited EKU Recently
We've heard rumblings they were going to visit the campus but I believe this is the first actual report that we have had that this has happened
08-04-2015 10:05 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
When is the expansion delegation visiting Southern Miss or Jax St???

I can still have my wish list right???
08-04-2015 10:12 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
I'm obviously a Marshall fan, but I know a decent amount about both EKU and Coastal.

I lived in Myrtle Beach for 2 years, and EKU is only about 2 1/2 hours from Huntington.

I think both of these schools will be good additions to the Sun Belt. Richmond is a very nice area that is growing. I have heard nothing but good things from the people who have visited Richmond.

Coastal has a beautiful campus and it is the #1 tourist destination for everyone in the northeast.
08-04-2015 10:55 AM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(08-04-2015 10:55 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  I'm obviously a Marshall fan, but I know a decent amount about both EKU and Coastal.

I lived in Myrtle Beach for 2 years, and EKU is only about 2 1/2 hours from Huntington.

I think both of these schools will be good additions to the Sun Belt. Richmond is a very nice area that is growing. I have heard nothing but good things from the people who have visited Richmond.

Coastal has a beautiful campus and it is the #1 tourist destination for everyone in the northeast.

One reason that I would love for us to move up is to be able to start some semblance of a home and home with Marshall as well as WKU and MTSU. Won't happen every year, I know, but at least it could happen.
08-04-2015 11:01 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

Hey Steve any word you're hearing on how visit went?
08-04-2015 11:07 AM
Advertisement

EKUSteve Offline
1st String

(08-04-2015 11:07 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Hey Steve any word you're hearing on how visit went?

I'm not in Richmond or even in KY which makes it a little tougher.

From what came out of the Colonel Club meeting the other night, we were told that the main upgrades to facilities needed were for football, baseball and softball. All three of those are already in the works based on the Community Forum the EKU Prez held a couple of weeks ago.

I'm nosing around to see if there is any other info out there.

Will the radio station there in Jonesboro contact EKU's AD or Prez for an interview?
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 11:16 AM by EKUSteve.)
08-04-2015 11:13 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I actually tweeted asking if they're going to and they replied they weren't sure but didn't think so since their hasn't been a lot of media reports out there about eku and the belt

However with this recent development I would imagine they'll certainly try to reach out now to somebody eku related
08-04-2015 11:19 AM
theultimateaggie Online
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(08-04-2015 11:19 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I actually tweeted asking if they're going to and they replied they weren't sure but didn't think so since their hasn't been a lot of media reports out there about eku and the belt

However with this recent development I would imagine they'll certainly try to reach out now to somebody eku related

Tweet them the article!
08-04-2015 11:26 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
How about they do some checking with NMSU about them hearing anything about coming back into the Belt full time.

Then call Idaho and see what their future conference plans are, back to FCS???05-stirthepot
08-04-2015 11:55 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I'm all for it-I'd very curious to get NMSU's stance on their position with sunbelt
08-04-2015 12:52 PM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(08-04-2015 11:07 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Hey Steve any word you're hearing on how visit went?

Karl had a blast.
[Image: throw-up1.jpg]
08-04-2015 01:30 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

(08-04-2015 01:30 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

Karl had a blast.
[Image: throw-up1.jpg]

Can't tell you where he would have gone. All the watering holes I used to frequent when I was in school are all gone.

Tough going through school when you brother is managing one of the bars the entire time I was there.
08-04-2015 01:47 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
A scenario of adding EKU and Coastal, while dropping Idaho would work for me. JMU is my top choice, but they are not likely to jump to the SunBelt.

App
GaSo
EKU
Coastal
GSU
Troy

Texas State
UL
ASU
South Alabama
ULM
NMSU
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 02:48 PM by APPrising.)
08-04-2015 02:47 PM
RunO Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
(08-04-2015 02:47 PM)APPrising Wrote:  A scenario of adding EKU and Coastal, while dropping Idaho would work for me. JMU is my top choice, but they are not likely to jump to the SunBelt.

App
GaSo
EKU
Coastal
GSU
Troy

Texas State
UL
ASU
South Alabama
ULM
NMSU

I love this!!
08-04-2015 03:32 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
The visit last week to EKU by Sun Belt officials was mentioned on here, however there was not an individual thread announcing it. It was pretty well known in Richmond that they were in town (I did not start a thread because at the time the visit had not been mentioned in the media). I did hear that everything went well. Renderings of the the compete football stadium (not just the one side they have started), baseball and softball facilities were shown at the Colonel Club event. All are very nice. Football, basketball, softball and volleyball coaches spoke at the event, all are 100% on board.
EKU does not have the beach/ ocean, might as well put it out there. However, I believe on every other measurement we hold our own or in some areas a better choice. Of course, I am hoping it is EKU that is chosen. We have the desire of our athletic teams and administration to move forward, the approval and the SUPPORT of the Board of of a Regents, the city of Richmond, alumni and fans are all on board. Our president, AD, BOR and many others working on a move to FBS for over a year, that's no secret. As far a publicity, we got burned for announcing our desire and intent a year ago, and we cannot control what is written on a message board. Honestly, for me, I would love to see EKU and CCU move to the SB. I am like the rest of you, going to Myrtle Beach for a game sounds good. I have mentioned this before, if you come to KY in the fall, it is beautiful here in central KY. And if you like horse racing, Keeneland Race Track ( one of the most beautiful tracks you will ever see) and the KY Horse Park are a short drive. In addition there always is the KY Bourbon Trail, so although we don't have the Ocean, if you come to Richmond (Central KY) you won't be disappointed.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 04:20 PM by LexColonel.)
08-04-2015 03:45 PM
Advertisement

AppinSC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(08-04-2015 03:45 PM)LexColonel Wrote:  The visit last week to EKU by Sun Belt officials was mentioned on here, however there was not an individual thread announcing it. It was pretty well known in Richmond that they were in town (I did not start a thread because at the time the visit had not been mentioned in the media). I did hear that everything went well. Renderings of the the compete football stadium (not just the one side they have started), baseball and softball facilities were shown at the Colonel Club event. All are very nice. Football, basketball, softball and volleyball coaches spoke at the event, all are 100% on board.
EKU does not have the beach/ ocean, might as well put it out there. However, I believe on every other measurement we hold our own or in some areas a better choice. Of course, I am hoping it is EKU that is chosen. We have the desire of our athletic teams and administration to move forward, the approval and the SUPPORT of the Board of of a Regents, the city of Richmond, alumni and fans are all on board. Our president, AD, BOR and many others working on a move to FBS for over a year, that's no secret. As far a publicity, we got burned for announcing our desire and intent a year ago, and we cannot control what is written on a message board. Honestly, for me, I would love to see EKU and CCU move to the SB. I am like the rest of you, going to Myrtle Beach for a game sounds good. I have mentioned this before, if you come to KY in the fall, it is beautiful here in central KY. And if you like horse racing, Keeneland Race Track ( one of the most beautiful tracks you will ever see) and the KY Horse Park are a short drive. In addition there always is the KY Bourbon Trail, so although we don't have the Ocean, if you come to Richmond (Central KY) you won't be disappointed.

LexColonel,
Would definitely like to see App and EKU gear up for some games again. I remember when we played in the 80's , 90's. and 2000's and it was a nice little rivalry. One of the most memorable games that I saw was up in Richmond in 2005. App was up 14-7 with just a few seconds left in the first half. You guys completed a pass ( I think ) and looked like you were going to tie it up. Corey Lynch ran down your receiver after a 74 yard gain and knocked him out of bounds at the 1 yard line to end the half. Great momentum swing and great game overall ! That seemed to be our spring board as we ran off about 8 straight wins in pursuit of our first National Championship. 04-cheers
08-04-2015 05:00 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
(08-04-2015 05:00 PM)AppinSC Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 03:45 PM)LexColonel Wrote:  The visit last week to EKU by Sun Belt officials was mentioned on here, however there was not an individual thread announcing it. It was pretty well known in Richmond that they were in town (I did not start a thread because at the time the visit had not been mentioned in the media). I did hear that everything went well. Renderings of the the compete football stadium (not just the one side they have started), baseball and softball facilities were shown at the Colonel Club event. All are very nice. Football, basketball, softball and volleyball coaches spoke at the event, all are 100% on board.

LexColonel,
Would definitely like to see App and EKU gear up for some games again. I remember when we played in the 80's , 90's. and 2000's and it was a nice little rivalry. One of the most memorable games that I saw was up in Richmond in 2005. App was up 14-7 with just a few seconds left in the first half. You guys completed a pass ( I think ) and looked like you were going to tie it up. Corey Lynch ran down your receiver after a 74 yard gain and knocked him out of bounds at the 1 yard line to end the half. Great momentum swing and great game overall ! That seemed to be our spring board as we ran off about 8 straight wins in pursuit of our first National Championship. 04-cheers
Hey App. Have been to App State for two different games. Was a nice trip. Went to Blowing Rock for the day before the game on Saturday. There is cute small town about 10 mins south of Richmond, that is a lot like Blowing Rock, maybe a little smaller, Berea. Lots of arts and crafts, Berea College, and if hiking is your thing , they have a place called the Pinnacle for hiking which is very pretty, especially in the fall ( very popular with EKU students). And of course north about 20 miles is Lexington and the KY Horse Park and Keeneland Racetrack. BTW, Keeneland is directly across from Bluegrass Airport ( very handy).
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 05:36 PM by LexColonel.)
08-04-2015 05:33 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(08-04-2015 03:32 PM)RunO Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:47 PM)APPrising Wrote:  A scenario of adding EKU and Coastal, while dropping Idaho would work for me. JMU is my top choice, but they are not likely to jump to the SunBelt.

App
GaSo
EKU
Coastal
GSU
Troy

Texas State
UL
ASU
South Alabama
ULM
NMSU

I love this!!

at that point maybe just split into two conferences.
08-04-2015 05:50 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Two conferences of six? What's wrong with divisions?
08-04-2015 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.