Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite Non-Athletics Tradition?
Bookmark and Share
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GA Southern
Favorite Non-Athletics Tradition?
Since today starts one of our summer traditions I thought this would be a good time to bring this topic up:

"Each summer, the University president and first lady host watermelon cuttings on the Pedestrium, near the banks of the campus lakes. The tradition began in 1948 when late President Zach Henderson wanted to provide a cool treat to the students, faculty and staff who were still on campus during the hot summer months. Today, more than 200 watermelons, put on ice a week in advance, are used for each cutting."

[Image: CJQx70bUsAEeWij.jpg]

[Image: wm2.jpg]

[Image: wm1.jpg]

[Image: wm3.jpg]

http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/traditions/
07-07-2015 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: Favorite Non-Athletics Tradition?
UTA has two really unique traditions that I've always admired.

Bed Races
http://www.uta.edu/excel/events/bed-races/

Join the fun as teams of students push beds on wheels while decked out in creative costumes at the University's "longest running" tradition. The Bed Races began in 1980 to celebrate the opening of Maverick Stadium. Racing beds are provided. Teams of five may register to enter the races. General admission to this event is free and open to the campus and community; entry into the races requires registration and payment of participation fee by the deadline.

Oozeball
http://www.uta.edu/campusrec/_archivedpa.../index.php

Oozeball, voted “most popular tradition on campus” is a campus-wide mud-volleyball tournament that occurs annually on the third Friday of September. Teams of 6 players will battle it out in the muddy volleyball courts on the corner of Summit Ave. and Greek Row to determine the Oozeball champion.
07-07-2015 08:23 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
TXST has a tradition of having the most attractive girls
07-07-2015 08:40 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
[Image: 090614_SRW_KEC4174-600x401.jpg]

Duck Pond Plunge going on for 17 years.

That, and our annual goal post teardown against WCU.
07-07-2015 08:46 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Bobcats just in the river in their cap and gown after graduation
07-08-2015 09:34 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Not a university tradition per se, but the annual Labor Day float down the Guadalupe seems like it fits.

Pretty much the last weekend all the students fill the river for a big party on tubes.
07-08-2015 09:44 PM
Advertisement

TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3cnYWFcxzuZsc1LL4qPI...na0iL1XgSj]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGuNaFWoi7QzHwuNdj3__...dGNhAezMqA]
07-08-2015 09:59 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(07-08-2015 09:44 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Not a university tradition per se, but the annual Labor Day float down the Guadalupe seems like it fits.

Pretty much the last weekend all the students fill the river for a big party on tubes.

[Image: 622x350.jpg]
[Image: 734943_219515561520845_2082764704_n.jpg]
07-08-2015 10:08 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(07-07-2015 08:40 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  TXST has a tradition of having the most attractive girls

yes. I remember when it was a teachers college. nearly all girls. then in my college days it was coed but still 3-1 girls. it was the closest out of town school for the san antonio moms to send their daughters. plenty of great looking gals there. they are well represented at wurstfest and tubing on the river.
07-09-2015 07:46 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
There's so many fun traditions that happen at GS like the lighting of Sweetheart Circle at Christmas, the watermelon cutting, Day One, the Lantern Walk, but one of the most fun weeks especially in Greek life is "Derby Days" when sororities are pitted against each other in a series of competitions in order to be crowned best sorority on campus. One of the events is a dance off:

Then there's a campus wide party at the end of the week and it's insane. Good times.
(07-07-2015 08:40 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  TXST has a tradition of having the most attractive girls

No offense to TXST but I think we could give y'all a run for your money.
"The CoEds outnumber the men 3-2 and they're all good looking and they're all rich!" (see above) 04-cheers
07-09-2015 10:51 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Paint the Town Red is hosted the week of the football home opener every September. It's a community contest in which all of the businesses and residents in Jonesboro compete to decorate their businesses in the wildest AState related decorations around. The event starts on Monday, and runs through Friday and is now controlled through the chamber of commerce here rather than the Arkansas State Athletic Department (Though the school has a big influence in it) Participating businesses are given a week to decorate both the interior and exterior, and are judged on Friday. During that time, ASU and the Chamber place spies at major gathering places in town and give out prizes to anyone wearing Arkansas State gear. Winners of the contest are announced at the Community Pep Rally and Block Party the Friday Night before the game.

Years ago this was established and run entirely by our Athletic Department as a way to get the entire town to show its support for ASU for one week of the year. Once the Football Program took off, the thing took on a life of its own, and the City got involved and threw its support behind it, turning it into a far larger contest than it ever was originally. The goal is for the visiting team to bus into town that Saturday for the game to find nothing but Red Wolves all over the place.

Again, this is probably more Athletic oriented, but since its City run now and supported by Arkansas State, and probably our biggest Fall Tradition, I thought I'd bring it up.
07-09-2015 12:23 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
We were at a 3-2 ratio a few years ago...

And in a battle where the top two schools for hot chicks compete... is there really a loser?
07-09-2015 12:30 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(07-09-2015 12:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Paint the Town Red is hosted the week of the football home opener every September. It's a community contest in which all of the businesses and residents in Jonesboro compete to decorate their businesses in the wildest AState related decorations around. The event starts on Monday, and runs through Friday and is now controlled through the chamber of commerce here rather than the Arkansas State Athletic Department (Though the school has a big influence in it) Participating businesses are given a week to decorate both the interior and exterior, and are judged on Friday. During that time, ASU and the Chamber place spies at major gathering places in town and give out prizes to anyone wearing Arkansas State gear. Winners of the contest are announced at the Community Pep Rally and Block Party the Friday Night before the game.

Years ago this was established and run entirely by our Athletic Department as a way to get the entire town to show its support for ASU for one week of the year. Once the Football Program took off, the thing took on a life of its own, and the City got involved and threw its support behind it, turning it into a far larger contest than it ever was originally. The goal is for the visiting team to bus into town that Saturday for the game to find nothing but Red Wolves all over the place.

Again, this is probably more Athletic oriented, but since its City run now and supported by Arkansas State, and probably our biggest Fall Tradition, I thought I'd bring it up.

I think our Athletic Department got this idea from y'all. We do something called Paint the Town Blue. I think last year was the first year we did it but it was really successful.
07-09-2015 12:35 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

The Polar Plunge is a pretty crazy deal. Good thing they've got warm blankets and medical staff on hand. Some of those folks are blue when they come out of that water. BTW, I've been a season ticket holder since 1979 and I don't recall us ever tearing down a goalpost after beating Western.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 01:12 PM by AppManDG.)
07-09-2015 01:02 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

(07-09-2015 01:02 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  The Polar Plunge is a pretty crazy deal. Good thing they've got warm blankets and medical staff on hand. Some of those folks are blue when they come out of that water. BTW, I've been a season ticket holder since 1979 and I don't recall us ever tearing down a goalpost after beating Western.

While I was a student, 95-2000, we put one in the Duck Pond one year and took another to the Chancellors house one year. However, you are mostly correct, we did not tear it down every year, it was more just a knock on how we beat them every year except maybe once.
07-09-2015 02:15 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-09-2015 12:35 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 12:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Paint the Town Red is hosted the week of the football home opener every September. It's a community contest in which all of the businesses and residents in Jonesboro compete to decorate their businesses in the wildest AState related decorations around. The event starts on Monday, and runs through Friday and is now controlled through the chamber of commerce here rather than the Arkansas State Athletic Department (Though the school has a big influence in it) Participating businesses are given a week to decorate both the interior and exterior, and are judged on Friday. During that time, ASU and the Chamber place spies at major gathering places in town and give out prizes to anyone wearing Arkansas State gear. Winners of the contest are announced at the Community Pep Rally and Block Party the Friday Night before the game.

I think our Athletic Department got this idea from y'all. We do something called Paint the Town Blue. I think last year was the first year we did it but it was really successful.

Half your football coaching staff used to work for Arkansas State, so I'm sure that's where it started...
07-09-2015 02:27 PM
Advertisement

APPrising Offline
1st String

(07-09-2015 02:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Half your football coaching staff used to work for Arkansas State, so I'm sure that's where it started...

[Image: Hell_featured_photo_gallery.jpg]
07-09-2015 03:11 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-09-2015 03:11 PM)APPrising Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 02:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

[Image: Hell_featured_photo_gallery.jpg]

Ah, Jonesboro. I didn't realize you could see the Ozarks and the Mississippi from there.
07-09-2015 04:12 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2015 02:15 PM)APPrising Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 01:02 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  The Polar Plunge is a pretty crazy deal. Good thing they've got warm blankets and medical staff on hand. Some of those folks are blue when they come out of that water. BTW, I've been a season ticket holder since 1979 and I don't recall us ever tearing down a goalpost after beating Western.

While I was a student, 95-2000, we put one in the Duck Pond one year and took another to the Chancellors house one year. However, you are mostly correct, we did not tear it down every year, it was more just a knock on how we beat them every year except maybe once.

I'm positive the goalpoosts have never been taken down after a Western game. You must have been a little too intoxicated to remember who exactly we were playing. They did come down in 1997 after our unrakned Apps beat the #9 Eagles and in 1999 when the Eaglesd rolled into Boone ranked #1 and lost to the Apps edged 17-16 in what has come to be known as the bus window game. It was one of the best college football games I've ever seen.
07-09-2015 04:42 PM
lancerTXST Offline
Water Engineer

Students rub the balls of the "Fighting Stallions" statue in the quad for good luck before a test:
[Image: stallions.jpg]

During Homecoming week organizations and dorms battle it out in a down-hill soap-box derby:
[Image: derby3.jpg]

Bobcat Build - Thousands of students get together on a Saturday each April to help clean up the community:
[Image: BOBCATBUILDGROUP.jpg]

But no tradition tops the one and only, Frisbee Dan:
[Image: frisbee-dan.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 05:41 PM by lancerTXST.)
07-09-2015 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.