Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Human Interest Story - TXST DE (update 8/27)
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Human Interest Story - TXST DE (update 8/27)

Many have asked me, “What made you come up with this idea of wanting to help the Deaf and Hard of Hearing”? It all started when I met my Dads brothers who are both blind and mentally challenged. They are unable to walk at times, eat, bath, or doing anything by themselves. Now, at ages 55 and 51 they only have the mental capacity of a very young child. My dad always felt fortunate because he was born in between both of them and not only was he born without any handicaps but he also made it to the NFL. While playing college football, which is very time consuming, he would still find time to see and interact with his brothers and also give his time to the Big Brother programs in Evanston which he mentored several young men. My father ended up getting drafted 33rd pick (5th pick of the second round) in the 1984 NFL draft by the San Diego Chargers where he was able to raise his family and often do speaking engagements and fund raisers to help the handicapped. When my Mom got pregnant with me the doctors told her that there was a good possibility I was going to be just like my dad’s brothers due to test results. I didn’t speak until age 4 and growing up in pre-school all the way to my senior year of high school I was enrolled in the Special Education Program. I would get pulled out of class 3 times a week to work on my grammar as well as my memory with other special needs students. I was around them so much I grew a passion for them and loved being around them. During my junior year of high school I had to take a foreign language class and decided to take American Sign Language at the local University. I absolutely fell in love with it and thought it was so awesome to be able to talk to the deaf. I enjoyed it so much, I decided to help coach a mentally challenged/ deaf baseball team and I would donate my Saturdays to the special needs. I hung out with many deaf kids in San Diego once I learned fluent sign language and I still keep in touch with them today all the way from Texas. Currently I play college football for Texas State University and I have met a wonderful group of deaf people here. I drive an hour away a few days out of the week to hang out with them. I ask them all, “Do you guys want to go out to the bars with me?” and they all respond, “Why when we cannot associate ourselves with the crowd and it would be awkward for us to just stand in the corner of the bar?”. Then I asked other deaf people in Texas and California if they have ever been to a concert. ALL responded “NO”!! But every single one of them replied that they would WANT TO ATTEND A CONCERT! When I told them about my idea of performing sign language during concerts they all got so excited, and told me to do it. Remember the deaf are NO DIFFERENT THEN WE ARE. The fact that the year 2015 is here and they have not been able to enjoy club life and concerts UPSETS ME. For all the hearing, we can all agree that most of the friends, girlfriends/ boyfriends, and memories you have made is because of nightlife. My love for the deaf community goes THOUGH THIS ROOF. This is why I am here today. I am here to bring the fun of going to clubs and concerts for those that never experienced it before that would like to. I will provide wonderful entertainment for all to enjoy, (the hearing and the deaf TOGETHER for the first time ever). Now everyone will have the same equal opportunity to meet new friends, socialize, and dance with other friends across your town/state. I plan on having my next performance in about 1 month from now in central Texas. I will be doing several songs that will make you laugh, dance, and put smiles on all your faces. For the deaf/ hard of hearing, everyone has different ways of signing, so I will be posting the exact signs on my YouTube channel a week prior to performance so you can all sign along with each other just like how the hearing sing along together. I will post my performance dates, times, songs, and locations on my social media accounts.

Twitter: @BrianGuendling
Instagram: BGUENDLING

I have also created a Facebook profile name, “The Sign Language Man”; you can add me on there, as I will post updated statuses, concert pictures, as well as location requests. Obviously great things take time in life. I appreciate all the support from all of you and I hope you will follow me on my upcoming dream.

Brian Guendling
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 01:17 PM by CatMom.)
07-06-2015 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

RE: Human Interest Story - TXST DE
Faith in humanity restored 04-rock
07-06-2015 11:35 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
Nice story. Really nice.
07-07-2015 08:28 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
This young man knows the true meaning of life at a very young age.

To paraphrase Ms. Walton: Life isn't about what you get, it's about what you give.

Thank you, Brian.
07-07-2015 08:53 AM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Here's some of the back up dancers (firemen, policemen)
Sr S Trey Garrett
Sr NG Dallas McClarty
So DE Kyree Berry
Sr TE Lawrence White
Sr TE Ryan Carden
Sr DT Rusmin Nickocevic
Jr CB Javante O'Roy
So DE Jeff Banks

I find all of this particularly awesome. The TXST site just picked up on this today. The San Antonio Express News contacted him yesterday. This is the stuff you want to go viral in place pf the police blotter.
07-07-2015 04:30 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
http://bit.ly/1JOXhQ4

Cajuns on a mission.

Does not have the really personal touch of the TxSt group, but refreshing nonetheless.

Not stepping on your toes, Mom. Just seemed like a good place to put good works. Please move it, if you want to save this thread for your guys..
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 04:58 PM by Vobserver.)
07-07-2015 04:57 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(07-07-2015 04:57 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  http://bit.ly/1JOXhQ4

Cajuns on a mission.

Does not have the really personal touch of the TxSt group, but refreshing nonetheless.

Not stepping on your toes, Mom. Just seemed like a good place to put good works. Please move it, if you want to save this thread for your guys..
Works for me.
07-07-2015 05:19 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Pretty Cool! Way to Go, Bobcat . ..
07-07-2015 11:58 PM
Cajuncat Offline
Special Teams

This story is starting to catch fire now. Plus, the video just jumped to 35,000+ hits in 3 days. I don't know if that is a typical for any popular youtube video but I'd call it a success for Guendling's cause.
07-09-2015 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(07-09-2015 07:44 AM)Cajuncat Wrote:  This story is starting to catch fire now. Plus, the video just jumped to 35,000+ hits in 3 days. I don't know if that is a typical for any popular youtube video but I'd call it a success for Guendling's cause.
Over 37K now
SAEN and KENS5 (San Antonio) picked it up first (Tuesday). Then we got an article on the athletic site, an article from The U Star and Joe V in the SMDR. Been on 2 Houston stations, CBS Dallas, CBS Sports, ESPN CFB, Reddit, a San Diego Paper, CampusSportsNews, last night KXAN (NBC Austin) and today TWCnews Austin.

At least those are the ones I've seen.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 05:26 PM by CatMom.)
07-09-2015 05:25 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Has now gone International with an article in the Daily Mail (London)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...guage.html
07-11-2015 05:00 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

07-13-2015 12:06 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Wanted to bring this back to the front page just to add this story. Guendling left the FB team (much to the coach's dismay) to pursue this. However, he is staying and TXST to finish his degree. Now, he has joined forces with the school and ticket office to do this.

First-ever deaf section headed to Bobcat Stadium this fall
08-27-2015 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.