Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas State Athletic Department
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Our Underdog Dynasty writer is doing a series on the failures of the TXST athletic department. I'm enjoying the articles so far (there are 3). He plans a whole series with 2 articles a day for this week. Anyone who wants some insight as to why most of our fans are disgruntled, or just interested, they are good reads.

From Friday:

Selling Bobcat Football Short

Two from today:

The Bobcat Identity Crisis
Ignoring History and Easy Opportunities

I'll add more as they become available each day (when I'm not at work) or other TXST fans can add them If I'm not available.

Thoughts, comments welcomed.
07-06-2015 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Texas State Athletic Department
(07-06-2015 12:38 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Our Underdog Dynasty writer is doing a series on the failures of the TXST athletic department. I'm enjoying the articles so far (there are 3). He plans a whole series with 2 articles a day for this week. Anyone who wants some insight as to why most of our fans are disgruntled, or just interested, they are good reads.

From Friday:

Two from today:

I'll add more as they become available each day (when I'm not at work) or other TXST fans can add them If I'm not available.

I saw that first article and almost posted it but figured a Bobcat fan would be better to do the honors.
07-06-2015 01:29 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
This series of articles will NOT be pretty.

The author is taking an honest look at things, and I don't think the AD will be terribly pleased with what he has found.
07-06-2015 01:31 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

This series is awesome! We finally have a platform that Teis can't ignore... This is a topic that has been discussed on Bobcatfans.com for years and is a real source of frustration with the die hards of our fan base.
07-06-2015 01:40 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Although I doubt it would happen, I fully endorse the SWT 'throwback' helmets. I think that would be cool for homecoming. From my 30,000 ft perspective, y'all seem to be doing pretty well and Will seems harsh. I suppose without criticism, we would never get better?
07-06-2015 10:24 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
We've done well but there's a lot that could be done better. The AD is reactive not proactive. I think it's hard to watch how well the UTSA AD operates in comparison. Of course it doesn't translate to results on the field but the ticket sales are better.
07-06-2015 10:43 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(07-06-2015 10:24 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Although I doubt it would happen, I fully endorse the SWT 'throwback' helmets. I think that would be cool for homecoming. From my 30,000 ft perspective, y'all seem to be doing pretty well and Will seems harsh. I suppose without criticism, we would never get better?

Believe me... Will is lovey dovey compared to some of our more vocal fans... And I am one of them.

I see far too much left on the table (from poor use of resources, to missed opportunities overall) to say they are doing a good job.

I just see a school with the largest budget in the conference, and middle of the road donations/season ticket sales. I don't see a push for season ticket sales like it should be. I didn't see us push hard enough for a bowl game (from my perspective, your AD did more than ours did, and you weren't eligible).

I'd like to see SWT throwback uniforms... But I can see the rationale for NOT doing it too. Texas State as a name for the university is only like 12 years old. Might be too soon to jump onto that.
07-06-2015 10:55 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(07-06-2015 10:24 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Although I doubt it would happen, I fully endorse the SWT 'throwback' helmets. I think that would be cool for homecoming. From my 30,000 ft perspective, y'all seem to be doing pretty well and Will seems harsh. I suppose without criticism, we would never get better?
No, I don't think he's being harsh, he being honest (or at least accurate in his assessments)

To add to it all, maybe he'll delve into it later, Teis just got an 11% raise in FY 2014 and another 10% increase for FY 2015. At the same time he is spouting off about TXST not being able to afford COA. That money comes out of the students' pockets, just like everything else that their student athletic fees go towards since they are funding well over half of that budget.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:59 PM by CatMom.)
07-06-2015 10:58 PM
dewclaws Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
Wow. Nice find. Thanks for posting. Interesting.
07-06-2015 11:05 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Will's been working on these articles for a while now, as in several months. I see what he has in quenue on the Editorial Dashboard and there's some doozies.
07-07-2015 01:45 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/7/7/...and-theoryTexas State Athletics and the Media Island Theory
07-07-2015 06:30 AM
Advertisement

RedWolf_Rex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: A State
I love the reads, but dude might want to be a little careful. Could lose any connections he had with the staff. Typically these pieces don't end well for one of the parties involved. Either the Author or the Subject will pay for it.
07-07-2015 06:40 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
The only concrete thing I think that makes sense in those articles is marketing quality. Everything else is something every G5 school is fighting. You can sub UTEP, UTSA and North Texas with Texas State and muchof the article is the same.

In the beginning, it mentions that you guys were runner-ups in the all-sports trophy, but has only two conference titles in two years as proof that the school is lagging. That shows two things for me: 1) the school is doing well overall and 2) no sport is excelling, but none is lagging. It also discounts that there are ten other schools trying to win conference championships. I was almost getting the vibe that we are Texas State and just deserve to get championships. I know you guys won a bunch in the Southland, but this is a more competitive league. To finish second overall is a pretty good accomplishment.
07-07-2015 08:48 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 06:40 AM)RedWolf_Rex Wrote:  I love the reads, but dude might want to be a little careful. Could lose any connections he had with the staff. Typically these pieces don't end well for one of the parties involved. Either the Author or the Subject will pay for it.

Our AD is pretty harsh when it comes to that. Actually came to a head in FCS when our coach beat #5 McNeese, and his first quote after the game was calling out the local beat writer.

(07-07-2015 08:48 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  The only concrete thing I think that makes sense in those articles is marketing quality. Everything else is something every G5 school is fighting. You can sub UTEP, UTSA and North Texas with Texas State and muchof the article is the same.

In the beginning, it mentions that you guys were runner-ups in the all-sports trophy, but has only two conference titles in two years as proof that the school is lagging. That shows two things for me: 1) the school is doing well overall and 2) no sport is excelling, but none is lagging. It also discounts that there are ten other schools trying to win conference championships. I was almost getting the vibe that we are Texas State and just deserve to get championships. I know you guys won a bunch in the Southland, but this is a more competitive league. To finish second overall is a pretty good accomplishment.

Given the size of our budget in relation to the rest of the conference (I believe we have either the highest or top 3 budgets in the conference), we SHOULD be competing for conference championships. Not because of "we are Texas State, we should just get it" but because it's a return on investment.
07-07-2015 09:22 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I disagree in regards to the history article. Putting focus on previous big SWT FCS wins, doesn't help the perception on FBS Texas St. The author does have a point about celebrating the 100th year of football for the school.

As for the media island...yeah trying to gain a place in Austin with UT is nearly impossible and as for San Antonio, perhaps there was missed effort to gain some interest and with UTSA football in full effect, it does make it hard but not impossible to make in-roads. I think the Texas St. and UTSA 8 year series will help with the Bobcats getting more interest in San Antonio.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 09:44 AM by MWC Tex.)
07-07-2015 09:37 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(07-06-2015 12:38 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Our Underdog Dynasty writer is doing a series on the failures of the TXST athletic department. I'm enjoying the articles so far (there are 3). He plans a whole series with 2 articles a day for this week. Anyone who wants some insight as to why most of our fans are disgruntled, or just interested, they are good reads.

From Friday:

Two from today:

I think the single most threatening thing I've heard lately that could be detrimental to Texas State is the fact that they will not be paying COA. If that turns out to be the case, their program will wind up in the lower tier of the conference. Marketing or the lack thereof is one thing, but that's just putting lipstick on a pig if you are not committed to putting a good product on the field.

If TXST does not pay COA, they are throwing in the towel.
07-07-2015 09:39 AM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 09:39 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  I think the single most threatening thing I've heard lately that could be detrimental to Texas State is the fact that they will not be paying COA. If that turns out to be the case, their program will wind up in the lower tier of the conference. Marketing or the lack thereof is one thing, but that's just putting lipstick on a pig if you are not committed to putting a good product on the field.

If TXST does not pay COA, they are throwing in the towel.

To be totally fair to the AD, he never said we weren't paying it. He just was about as vague as possible in stating that we would.

His key phrase is "we'll get there. It may be quick, and it may take a few years, but we'll get there."

The man sure has a way of inspiring confidence, eh?
07-07-2015 09:50 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(07-07-2015 09:22 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 08:48 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  The only concrete thing I think that makes sense in those articles is marketing quality. Everything else is something every G5 school is fighting. You can sub UTEP, UTSA and North Texas with Texas State and muchof the article is the same.

Given the size of our budget in relation to the rest of the conference (I believe we have either the highest or top 3 budgets in the conference), we SHOULD be competing for conference championships. Not because of "we are Texas State, we should just get it" but because it's a return on investment.

I get what you are saying, but you did finish second overall, so that isn't out of whack with your budget. It means every sport was competitive. Getting championships is nice, but look at some of the schools near the bottom. Great finishes in some sports, absolutley poor in others.
07-07-2015 10:40 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 10:40 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I get what you are saying, but you did finish second overall, so that isn't out of whack with your budget. It means every sport was competitive. Getting championships is nice, but look at some of the schools near the bottom. Great finishes in some sports, absolutley poor in others.

I think the part that kills most of our fans is that the main focus is on the "money" sports of basketball and football (to a lesser extent, baseball).

Basically, there are very few fans that want to support a jack of all trades school. Solid at many, expert at none is not a good way to be, in my opinion.
07-07-2015 11:43 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-07-2015 11:43 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 10:40 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I get what you are saying, but you did finish second overall, so that isn't out of whack with your budget. It means every sport was competitive. Getting championships is nice, but look at some of the schools near the bottom. Great finishes in some sports, absolutley poor in others.

I think the part that kills most of our fans is that the main focus is on the "money" sports of basketball and football (to a lesser extent, baseball).

Basically, there are very few fans that want to support a jack of all trades school. Solid at many, expert at none is not a good way to be, in my opinion.

Just because you throw money at it doesn't mean you should win. Still got to recruit, coach and play the games. You got to remember you are playing against teams that have done the same as you. This is not MLB, NFL and the NBA, highest budgets don't mean you can buy a conference championship. Now stop your belly aching and win one on the field.
07-07-2015 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.