Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Part 2: Tribe Basketball (Depth Players)
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Part 2: Tribe Basketball (Depth Players)
Here's Part TWO of our Preview, detailing the bench and depth players on the team. The Tribe looks like it will have solid depth next season, headlined by Tot and Malinowski. I think they key will be the backups behind Sheldon, but Shaver has done a good job of getting most of these guys playing time in the last couple seasons. How do you all think they look? Roll Tribe.

Article: http://wmsportsblog.com/2015/05/14/early...ll-part-2/
05-14-2015 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

RE: Part 2: Tribe Basketball (Depth Players)
Seacat may get a chance to play more than we think if he can show anything at what is the position with the biggest question marks.

Sheldon is limited offensively and Whitman, while talented, needs to show he will compete aggressively,

Our new center from North Carolina, who last month made the first-team All-State team of ten (from all levels
of competition in the state) arrives with a big reputation. Unlike many of our center recruits, Hunter is solidly built at around 225 pounds his senior year and has athleticism and leaping ability. His lack of experience
and the learning process of Shaver's system may very well see him redshirted...but it will be interesting to see what arrives on campus this summer

He does come in with one of the great names of any recent Tribe athlete. Will we call him "The Big Cat"?
05-15-2015 06:19 AM
wanm65 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
He does come in with one of the great names of any recent Tribe athlete. Will we call him "The Big Cat"?
[/quote]

Or The Growler (as they used to call the Jag ornament on the front of the car) 04-cheers
05-15-2015 07:52 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 06:19 AM)Big Tribe Wrote:  Seacat may get a chance to play more than we think if he can show anything at what is the position with the biggest question marks.

Sheldon is limited offensively and Whitman, while talented, needs to show he will compete aggressively,

Our new center from North Carolina, who last month made the first-team All-State team of ten (from all levels
of competition in the state) arrives with a big reputation. Unlike many of our center recruits, Hunter is solidly built at around 225 pounds his senior year and has athleticism and leaping ability. His lack of experience
and the learning process of Shaver's system may very well see him redshirted...but it will be interesting to see what arrives on campus this summer

Seacat will Redshirt. There is no reason to think Sheldon and Whitman will not improve their level of play from their level of play during last season. And neither player was all that bad last year. There would be no point in having our three "big men" competing for playing time as long as two of our big men can compete and we can save one for next year. Sean and Jack will share the playing time and whoever improves the most will get the most minutes.

However, I do have serious doubts about Coach Austin Shaver's ability to develop our big men to the highest level given Austin's lack of actual playing experience at the college level.
05-15-2015 10:49 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Part 2: Tribe Basketball (Depth Players)
(05-15-2015 10:49 AM)62Indian Wrote:  However, I do have serious doubts about Coach Austin Shaver's ability to develop our big men to the highest level given Austin's lack of actual playing experience at the college level.
I don't think that's fair. There are many fantastic coaches that never played at the college level. There are college All American/NBA players that are awful coaches. That said, I've never seen his demeanor in practice. Is he passionate? Do the guys buy in? Can he communicate & relate to the athletes? Can he teach? I'm much more interested in that than if he played in college.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2015 11:28 AM by mrjoolius.)
05-15-2015 11:27 AM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 11:27 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 10:49 AM)62Indian Wrote:  However, I do have serious doubts about Coach Austin Shaver's ability to develop our big men to the highest level given Austin's lack of actual playing experience at the college level.
I don't think that's fair. There are many fantastic coaches that never played at the college level. There are college All American/NBA players that are awful coaches. That said, I've never seen his demeanor in practice. Is he passionate? Do the guys buy in? Can he communicate & relate to the athletes? Can he teach? I'm much more interested in that than if he played in college.

I Agree, Just remember that Bruce Parkhill did not play basketball in college, He played soccer and he was a great basketball couch
05-15-2015 02:36 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(05-15-2015 02:36 PM)Biggjohn43 Wrote:  
(05-15-2015 11:27 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

------------------------------------------------

I Agree, Just remember that Bruce Parkhill did not play basketball in college, He played soccer and he was a great basketball couch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Parkhill was an All-Conference Basketball player for Lock Haven College/University for three years. He lettered in three sports at Lock Haven but Basketball was his best sport. Immediately after graduating from Lock Haven he got a position as a Graduate Assistant for the basketball program at UVA and became an Assistant Basketball coach at UVA. He was also an outstanding soccer player and and Track and Field man at Lock Haven.
05-15-2015 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.