Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Ncaa trying to end grad transfer rule
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
OT: Ncaa trying to end grad transfer rule
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...or-players

my opinion: i dont know how you can pretend to be an academic first institutionwith a move like this. this hurts students academically and its purpose serves athletic purposes.

almost everyone who attends grad school doesnt attend the same school as their undergrad. with this you are putting athletics first. basically saying, if you are an athletes you can only study in 1 school or give up eligiblity and any hcnace at the pro to solidy a decent backup plan and likely having to pay for it out of pocket.

we lost a grad transfer who was expecte to start 2 years ago in zeke riser. was i disappointed he left? yes. but he left simply becuase of the grad program and he still loved UH. im sad he left but would have not supported the fact that he wouldnt have been given an oppurntiy to go after his real life plans because our football team didnt like it.

do alot of people abuse it? yes, but thats part of life and college. you cant hurt peoples more than likely real life amabitions because you want to end the closest thing to free agancy in college
05-07-2015 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
RE: OT: Ncaa trying to end grad transfer rule
Opposed to this. There should be MORE freedom for recruits to move around not less imho. There needs to be a balance so that there aren't too many transfers.

Based on the #s cited in the article, doesn't seem like this is really an issue. Why make it one.
05-07-2015 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-07-2015 03:48 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  Opposed to this. There should be MORE freedom for recruits to move around not less imho. There needs to be a balance so that there aren't too many transfers.

Based on the #s cited in the article, doesn't seem like this is really an issue. Why make it one.

the article is against it aswell thats why it seems that way

but this is a legitmate situation

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-transfers

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/06/38388...shing.html

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sfer-rule/
05-07-2015 03:58 PM
don41 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(05-07-2015 03:33 PM)pesik Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...or-players

my opinion: i dont know how you can pretend to be an academic first institutionwith a move like this. this hurts students academically and its purpose serves athletic purposes.

almost everyone who attends grad school doesnt attend the same school as their undergrad. with this you are putting athletics first. basically saying, if you are an athletes you can only study in 1 school or give up eligiblity and any hcnace at the pro to solidy a decent backup plan and likely having to pay for it out of pocket.

we lost a grad transfer who was expecte to start 2 years ago in zeke riser. was i disappointed he left? yes. but he left simply becuase of the grad program and he still loved UH. im sad he left but would have not supported the fact that he wouldnt have been given an oppurntiy to go after his real life plans because our football team didnt like it.

do alot of people abuse it? yes, but thats part of life and college. you cant hurt peoples more than likely real life amabitions because you want to end the closest thing to free agancy in college

If the undergraduate school you are attending does not offer a graduate degree in your major and if you have not yet played out your four (4) years if eligibility but have graduated, you can transfer to a graduate school that does offer the graduate degree and play one more year. You also do not have to sit out a year before you can play.
05-07-2015 04:46 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-07-2015 04:46 PM)don41 Wrote:  If the undergraduate school you are attending does not offer a graduate degree in your major and if you have not yet played out your four (4) years if eligibility but have graduated, you can transfer to a graduate school that does offer the graduate degree and play one more year. You also do not have to sit out a year before you can play.

so if you go to a school that has a great undergrade program (which is why you went) but has a horrible grad program. you think they should be forced to go that worse grad program (if they have you grad degree), despite being good enough to get into a better grad program....simply because "sports"

this clearly puts athletics over academics..you are letting fears of preventing a grad student free agency (which isnt that big of a deal) out weigh the academic goals of the student athlete
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 05:03 PM by pesik.)
05-07-2015 05:00 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
I don't support this. If a kid graduates early with eligibility then he did just what he's supposed to do. What about players runoff by coaches pressured to win. They now have to sit out that's not fair to them. this is foul, and let's face it a terrible des ions if it passes.
05-07-2015 07:23 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
what is the general reasoning the NCAA has in trying to end grad transfer rule?
05-07-2015 07:46 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-07-2015 07:46 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  what is the general reasoning the NCAA has in trying to end grad transfer rule?

many coach see it as a free agency which they dont believe should be in college. and alot off the smaller school at all levels think it makes them a farm system. from fcs to fbs, from G5 to P5, from small p5 team to power p5. and then it goes back downward as majot P5 teams are against because they are losing important depth players, who are leaving for smaller schools to be a star there

the best returning player in the fcs QB Vernon Adams.. is leaving the fcs as a graduate to go play at oregon. so they are pushing for it.

alot of schools just dont want to be a farm system or lose depth players

the argument around changing is that grad transfer are at an all time high and some study some poeple have pointed to is that alot of these grad transfer, decide not to even finish grad school

there is definitely a sports argument that can be made around it ..but my argument is you are basically punshing kids academically for your sports teams...in an institution thats supposed to academics first, youre punishing kids for graduating (do what their supposed to do) and trying to seek grad programs else where. if you're a boise redshirt junior graduate who had good enough grads to get into stanford medical. remove grad transfers you are telling them they basically have to go to boise medical school (if they have one, pretend they do if they dont) or give up football despite having some potentially pro potentially and having to pay their own way..you are forcing their hand

and even if you remove the academic part of the argument and make it a strictly sports argumet...coachses can leave and make million but no one complains about that, g5 is coach farm system no one complains, but when a kid tries to better his situation their is a problem? not even mentioning coaches push kids out to make schooly room on a yearly basis (especially in basketball)..so you can push kids out but cant give them a way to leave without being punished?
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 08:29 PM by pesik.)
05-07-2015 08:25 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Honestly I don't care either way. A student should have the right to transfer where ever they want as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't have do to waste every ones time and money sitting out. Especially when the school and coaches only give 1 year scholarships and routinely pull scholarships and cut players or push them out of the program after inviting them to come there.

The grad school reasoning might be more sound if they were actually really going to grad school and finishing, when I imagine most aren't and probably some stop even going to class that second semester. I think most of those taking advantage are just abusing the system anyway though, as most of the ones that are graduate already transferred once. That's how most are ahead in the classroom. There are players routinely playing at 3 schools now and using each school as a stepping stone to the next especially that last year when they have a lot more value to fill in a hole and leave the next year.
05-08-2015 01:18 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Can coaches come and go as they please? Yes.

Students should have the same ability to move freely as needed.

It's the P5 school's responsibility to create an environment where fringe players don't want to leave for PT/stardom, and the smaller school's job to keep a star player happy.
05-08-2015 01:29 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
The problem is, a lot of these kids take joke majors or take summer classes to put themselves ahead. Then graduate from said ridiculous majors in 3 years instead of 4 just so they can go play for a better team as a "free agent"
05-08-2015 01:49 PM
Advertisement

ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2015 03:33 PM)pesik Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...or-players

Of course it's all about education now. A player can get a fake undergrad from UNC and then pretend to get a grad degree at Alabama and everyone can feel good about themselves.
05-08-2015 02:05 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-08-2015 01:18 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Honestly I don't care either way. A student should have the right to transfer where ever they want as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't have do to waste every ones time and money sitting out. Especially when the school and coaches only give 1 year scholarships and routinely pull scholarships and cut players or push them out of the program after inviting them to come there.

The grad school reasoning might be more sound if they were actually really going to grad school and finishing, when I imagine most aren't and probably some stop even going to class that second semester. I think most of those taking advantage are just abusing the system anyway though, as most of the ones that are graduate already transferred once. That's how most are ahead in the classroom. There are players routinely playing at 3 schools now and using each school as a stepping stone to the next especially that last year when they have a lot more value to fill in a hole and leave the next year.

like i said some people will abuse it...thats a fact..but you'd punish every legitimate student because some kids are abusing it?
we lost to projected starters 2 years ago...
Charles Sims who only left to improve his draft stock ans zeek riser who left simply because he had no future in football and transferred to get into a grad program that could help his future..id have hated to force him to stay because football.

people will abuse the system but if you're graduating early (which isnt easy) you should be given the ability to
05-08-2015 02:17 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-08-2015 02:05 PM)ultraviolet Wrote:  Of course it's all about education now. A player can get a fake undergrad from UNC and then pretend to get a grad degree at Alabama and everyone can feel good about themselves.

first off the unc scandal was a grade booster...at most 4 classes in your 40 class undergrad curriculum...

and your entire point is weak and based around a hand full of cases when that isnt the case for 90% of college athletes who will go pro is something other than sports
05-08-2015 02:20 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-08-2015 01:49 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  The problem is, a lot of these kids take joke majors or take summer classes to put themselves ahead. Then graduate from said ridiculous majors in 3 years instead of 4 just so they can go play for a better team as a "free agent"

taking summer classes is bad?..graduating early is bad?

and again your naming a handful of cases to label an entire argument ..when that isnt the case for about 90% of grad transfers

garrett gilbert graduated in 2.5 years from UT to transfer to SMU...how dare him graduate from a top academic institution so quickly to transfer? we clearly need to remove this law so we don't incentive kids to work harder in school and graduate ...
05-08-2015 02:29 PM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2015 02:20 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 02:05 PM)ultraviolet Wrote:  Of course it's all about education now. A player can get a fake undergrad from UNC and then pretend to get a grad degree at Alabama and everyone can feel good about themselves.

first off the unc scandal was a grade booster...at most 4 classes in your 40 class undergrad curriculum...

and your entire point is weak and based around a hand full of cases when that isnt the case for 90% of college athletes who will go pro is something other than sports

You are woefully under informed about the UNC situation.
05-08-2015 02:40 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(05-08-2015 02:40 PM)ultraviolet Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 02:20 PM)pesik Wrote:  

You are woefully under informed about the UNC situation.

if you think any grad plan for any degree is completely field with write in classes from the African american studies department then you are the one woefully under informed about college in general
05-08-2015 02:51 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-08-2015 02:17 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 01:18 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Honestly I don't care either way. A student should have the right to transfer where ever they want as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't have do to waste every ones time and money sitting out. Especially when the school and coaches only give 1 year scholarships and routinely pull scholarships and cut players or push them out of the program after inviting them to come there.

like i said some people will abuse it...thats a fact..but you'd punish every legitimate student because some kids are abusing it?
Charles Sims who only left to improve his draft stock ans zeek riser who left simply because he had no future in football and transferred to get into a grad program that could help his future..id have hated to force him to stay because football.

people will abuse the system but if you're graduating early (which isnt easy) you should be given the ability to

This is basketball. If you can play D1 basketball or are good enough some other team would want to bring you in as a 5th year graduate you can likely pack a bag, get a passport and make some money playing basketball somewhere in this world.

Most of these guys I expect aren't even really going to class that second semester and I doubt 10% of them finish the masters even with in 5 years if at all. Just about all of them will get their passport and or hit the DLeague the 5 years after graduation.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 02:54 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-08-2015 02:53 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-08-2015 02:53 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 02:17 PM)pesik Wrote:  

This is basketball. If you can play D1 basketball or are good enough some other team would want to bring you in as a 5th year graduate you can likely pack a bag, get a passport and make some money playing basketball somewhere in this world.

Most of these guys I expect aren't even really going to class that second semester and I doubt 10% of them finish the masters even with in 5 years if at all. Just about all of them will get their passport and or hit the DLeague the 5 years after graduation.

i completely disagree with your numbers...if we are talking "star" players i agree...but there are hundreds of grad transfer every year from no name schools with no name talent who legitimately transfer to get into the grad schools of their choice....all becuase we only hear about the big names doesnt mean we have to punish everyone becuase of it...

as oklahoma st bball coach said every has there own unique situation....you can start punish kids (who have gotten their degree, aka the objective) all because of sports reasons
05-08-2015 03:06 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
(05-08-2015 02:29 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 01:49 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  The problem is, a lot of these kids take joke majors or take summer classes to put themselves ahead. Then graduate from said ridiculous majors in 3 years instead of 4 just so they can go play for a better team as a "free agent"

taking summer classes is bad?..graduating early is bad?

and again your naming a handful of cases to label an entire argument ..when that isnt the case for about 90% of grad transfers

garrett gilbert graduated in 2.5 years from UT to transfer to SMU...how dare him graduate from a top academic institution so quickly to transfer? we clearly need to remove this law so we don't incentive kids to work harder in school and graduate ...

Just because Texas has some good academic programs doesn't mean Garrett Gilbert was in them. His major impresses me less than a person graduating with a philosophy degree and a third of his classes occurred online. If you can get a similar education through the University of Phoenix... maybe the NCAA should just point all graduate transfers there.

I'm being facetious of course, but still, college isn't a place for athletes to go to class. It's a place for students. If some of them play sports so be it. Academics come first, and I'm a proponent cracking down on the degrees that are accepted by the NCAA. Soon you're going to see players who still somehow fail out of classes that teach them to tie their own shoes.
05-08-2015 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.