RE: Med School at AState approved
Great News! Happy for you guys!
04-24-2015 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
University of Arkansas tried to stop us...they failed.
04-24-2015 12:40 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Congrats! That's huge.
04-24-2015 12:43 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I try not to use "butthurt" much. But in this case, the butthurt displayed by some in central and northwest Arkansas today is immemse, deserved, and welcome.

You would think the least healthy state getting its second medical school for FREE would be good news...but at apparently it means the end of civilization and the triumph of satan.
04-24-2015 12:48 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-24-2015 12:48 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I try not to use "butthurt" much. But in this case, the butthurt displayed by some in central and northwest Arkansas today is immemse, deserved, and welcome.

You would think the least healthy state getting its second medical school for FREE would be good news...but at apparently it means the end of civilization and the triumph of satan.

They are just dissappointed. University of Arkansas system wanted a monopoly on medical schools in this state, and didn't get there way.
04-24-2015 12:53 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(04-24-2015 12:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 12:48 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I try not to use "butthurt" much. But in this case, the butthurt displayed by some in central and northwest Arkansas today is immemse, deserved, and welcome.

They are just dissappointed. University of Arkansas system wanted a monopoly on medical schools in this state, and didn't get there way.

Sounds great but...NYITCOM is a private school with a yearly tuition of over 46K per year. I doubt they are moving down here to lose money. Is that a significant problem for students in Arkansas, or will they be fine with building up a huge loan debt figuring they can pay it off once they are making big money as doctors? Also, as a private school will they limit out of State students or open it up equally to anyone who applies. If the goal is simply to get more doctors in Arkansas they may not care a whole lot about where the students originate from.
04-24-2015 01:23 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2015 01:23 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Sounds great but...NYITCOM is a private school with a yearly tuition of over 46K per year. I doubt they are moving down here to lose money. Is that a significant problem for students in Arkansas, or will they be fine with building up a huge loan debt figuring they can pay it off once they are making big money as doctors? Also, as a private school will they limit out of State students or open it up equally to anyone who applies. If the goal is simply to get more doctors in Arkansas they may not care a whole lot about where the students originate from.
Yep, they are the drivers and it is definitely a for profit endeavor. But it is the only way to break the UA monopoly and get a Medical School on campus. They provide us with a bridgehead and learning opportunity we wouldn't have been able to get any other way.
04-24-2015 01:36 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Good for you. UT and A&M blocked TXST from getting one.
04-24-2015 01:44 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Awesome news for y'all!
04-24-2015 01:48 PM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Nice!
04-24-2015 01:50 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(04-24-2015 01:36 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Yep, they are the drivers and it is definitely a for profit endeavor.

Worth noting that while they certainly expect to gain from it financially, they're definitely not a "for-profit" educational institution. It's not like you invited [insert random for-profit university name] onto your campus to sell their wares. That distinction means a lot.
04-24-2015 01:51 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Does Jonesboro have a teaching hospital or is this Medical School only for the preclinical years?
04-24-2015 01:54 PM
Scrotumus Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS
Great news for y'all, congratulations!!!
04-24-2015 01:56 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2015 01:51 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 01:36 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Yep, they are the drivers and it is definitely a for profit endeavor.

Worth noting that while they certainly expect to gain from it financially, they're definitely not a "for-profit" educational institution. It's not like you invited [insert random for-profit university name] onto your campus to sell their wares. That distinction means a lot.
Correct.
04-24-2015 01:58 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(04-24-2015 01:23 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Sounds great, but how bout a little perspective? NYIT's tuition is actually $52k for a first year student. National average tuition for an Osteopathic school is $44k. It's too early for them to announce what tuition will be, but I have a feeling it will be less than their NY campus, and around the national average. I think Arkansas students will have a lower rate than that. No clue what the breakdown on Arkansas students vs out of state students will be, but I think it will less than half from Arkansas. For those on the bubble of getting accepted into a Med/Osteopath school, they would be more than happy to pay an extra $10-15k a year just to get a spot. That's why there a bunch of US students going to the Caribbean for school and paying $65-70k a year or even more for tuition. I've known people that get out of school in the Caribbean and have over $600k in debt. A school like ours will keep more US students from having to go to the Caribbean and incurring all that debt. Regarding having students come back to the region, you never know how that will turn out. But with a school in the Delta, its likely there will be more applicants from the Delta apply because its closer to home and they would be more likely to go there. Others from further away would likely never have considered the area, but after living in the area, they will be familiar with the area and be aware of the need as I'm sure will be exposed to recruiters at the school throughout their studies.
04-24-2015 02:10 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

We have an opportunity that lots of people in our own state did everything they could to stop. That's enough for a celebration right there.
04-24-2015 02:12 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
great news, congrats, surprised you were able to get it with Ark trying to stop it happening, if App tried this, it wouldn't even get out of the planning stage before UNC put an end to it. You guys most have alot of pull at the state level, I'm jealous!!
04-24-2015 02:13 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(04-24-2015 01:54 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Does Jonesboro have a teaching hospital or is this Medical School only for the preclinical years?

One of the hospitals in Jonesboro only has a "Family Practice" residency program. A new large hospital was just built not far from campus. I think the hope is to get some more residencies established at the two hospitals to supplement the Med School.
04-24-2015 02:13 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(04-24-2015 01:58 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 01:51 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

Correct.

I agree it is good news regardless. When my son went to UAMS, several years ago, tuition for instate students was in the 17K range. If a student can't get into UAMS, it would cost, at least, double that to go anywhere out of State. Students in Northeast Arkansas, would at least save on travel and possibly living expenses by going to school in Jonesboro.
04-24-2015 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.