Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Tennis
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Men's Tennis
Why is GaSt not in the Men's Tennis tourney? Only 6 teams listed and no GaSt. They have a team according to their website.
04-16-2015 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Men's Tennis
Their former coach was fired after 11 NCAA violations, including gambling, improper contact/calls, borrowing money from players and their family, and making players sleep on floors of hotels among others. I'm guessing this is a NCAA postseason ban, perhaps even self-imposed.
04-16-2015 10:19 PM
1st String

(04-16-2015 10:19 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Their former coach was fired after 11 NCAA violations, including gambling, improper contact/calls, borrowing money from players and their family, and making players sleep on floors of hotels among others. I'm guessing this is a NCAA postseason ban, perhaps even self-imposed.

Wow! Was the gambling tied to the borrowing of money. Was the sleeping on floors his was of shaving off money from the travel budget to his personal budget.

I would think a non-revenue coaching job would be a pretty good job to have. Not a lot of pressure to perform within some reason, and though not revenue sport coaching money I bet more than I make teaching high school in the non-union south. Why blow that gig?

Again, Wow!
04-17-2015 04:02 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(04-17-2015 04:02 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(04-16-2015 10:19 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Their former coach was fired after 11 NCAA violations, including gambling, improper contact/calls, borrowing money from players and their family, and making players sleep on floors of hotels among others. I'm guessing this is a NCAA postseason ban, perhaps even self-imposed.

Wow! Was the gambling tied to the borrowing of money. Was the sleeping on floors his was of shaving off money from the travel budget to his personal budget.

I would think a non-revenue coaching job would be a pretty good job to have. Not a lot of pressure to perform within some reason, and though not revenue sport coaching money I bet more than I make teaching high school in the non-union south. Why blow that gig?

Again, Wow!

You'd be surprised at what some non-revenue coaches get paid. Not real lucrative at our level.
04-17-2015 08:00 PM
1st String

(04-17-2015 08:00 PM)trapdrawApp Wrote:  

Again, Wow!

You'd be surprised at what some non-revenue coaches get paid. Not real lucrative at our level.

Do they have off season jobs coaching at clubs and such?
04-18-2015 06:21 PM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Troy vs USA in the SBC title game... Could be Troys 2nd sbc title in 5 days

#steakourclaim
04-18-2015 06:25 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I did not ask permission to post this but I assume Mr. McElwain will not mind. I emailed him earlier today. I will certainly give him props for replying when he did. I also told him not to do that in the future as he needs to celebrate family events without interruption from work.
-------
Combination of seeds and finish. Somewhat hard to explain. If I had a bracket in front of me I could explain it better, but I'm out to eat for my sisters birthday! I'll try to get the numbers out quickly come the new week.

John McElwain
Associate Commissioner
------
04-18-2015 08:23 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-18-2015 08:23 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I did not ask permission to post this but I assume Mr. McElwain will not mind. I emailed him earlier today. I will certainly give him props for replying when he did. I also told him not to do that in the future as he needs to celebrate family events without interruption from work.
-------
Combination of seeds and finish. Somewhat hard to explain. If I had a bracket in front of me I could explain it better, but I'm out to eat for my sisters birthday! I'll try to get the numbers out quickly come the new week.

John McElwain
Associate Commissioner
------

Good to see at least one person is working in the SBC office. I'd tell you to email Benson, but it's his golfing day.
04-18-2015 09:22 PM
1st String

(04-18-2015 09:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 08:23 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I did not ask permission to post this but I assume Mr. McElwain will not mind. I emailed him earlier today. I will certainly give him props for replying when he did. I also told him not to do that in the future as he needs to celebrate family events without interruption from work.
-------

John McElwain
Associate Commissioner
------

Good to see at least one person is working in the SBC office. I'd tell you to email Benson, but it's his golfing day.

There was a mistake with his Bubas Points back in the fall. A minor mistake actually involving some affiliate members if I remember correctly. I emailed him when I had time which was late evening ET. He emailed promptly back and it had to be past office hours by a few hours. It may have even been the weekend.

His pay is well more than my teacher pay I am sure, and he has, I assume, a SB paid smart phone, but with all of that said, an email from a fan could wait until office hours, or not even be replied to for that matter. From a SB coach or admin, he might want to reply but for a fan inquiring about a non-revenue sport - I'll give him props.
04-19-2015 07:26 AM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

Troy wins the SBC championship!!!

Women's golf won SBC championship 6 days ago.

#steakourclaim
04-19-2015 01:57 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

(04-19-2015 01:57 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Troy wins the SBC championship!!!

Women's golf won SBC championship 6 days ago.

#steakourclaim

Congrats Trojans! Rep the Sun Belt well in the NCAAs. Hopefully you guys can make some noise, you definitely have a good tennis team. I hope our women will join you there.
04-19-2015 02:09 PM
Advertisement

EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(04-18-2015 06:25 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Troy vs USA in the SBC title game... Could be Troys 2nd sbc title in 5 days

#stakeourclaim

FIFY.

But seriously...congrats Troy!
04-19-2015 04:38 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(04-18-2015 06:21 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 08:00 PM)trapdrawApp Wrote:  

Again, Wow!

Do they have off season jobs coaching at clubs and such?

It's not uncommon for collegiate tennis and golf coaches to hold positions as club professionals. Probably more so for tennis than golf these days, but that's just from my personal experience.
04-19-2015 04:54 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

Re: RE: Men's Tennis
(04-19-2015 04:38 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 06:25 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Troy vs USA in the SBC title game... Could be Troys 2nd sbc title in 5 days

#steakourclaim

FIFY.

He spelled it correctly. Any team that beats so bama gets "treated" to a steak dinner...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
04-19-2015 05:06 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(04-19-2015 05:06 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  

#steakourclaim

FIFY.

He spelled it correctly. Any team that beats so bama gets "treated" to a steak dinner...

And... Congrats to the men's tennis and women's basketball teams. It's been lean for the other teams. Lol
04-19-2015 05:17 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

(04-19-2015 05:17 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

#steakourclaim

FIFY.

And... Congrats to the men's tennis and women's basketball teams. It's been lean for the other teams. Lol

I'm pretty sure we'll revisit this conversation soon...

04-19-2015 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-19-2015 05:25 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 05:17 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

#steakourclaim

FIFY.

I'm pretty sure we'll revisit this conversation soon...

Yup. Very soon.
04-19-2015 06:20 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-19-2015 07:26 AM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
-------

John McElwain
Associate Commissioner
------

There was a mistake with his Bubas Points back in the fall. A minor mistake actually involving some affiliate members if I remember correctly. I emailed him when I had time which was late evening ET. He emailed promptly back and it had to be past office hours by a few hours. It may have even been the weekend.

His pay is well more than my teacher pay I am sure, and he has, I assume, a SB paid smart phone, but with all of that said, an email from a fan could wait until office hours, or not even be replied to for that matter. From a SB coach or admin, he might want to reply but for a fan inquiring about a non-revenue sport - I'll give him props.

Not that you probably care, LOL, but you just gained some respect from me. The pilling on of Benson had almost become a requirement around here. Glad to see someone post a positive when it is deserved.
04-20-2015 07:59 PM
1st String

(04-20-2015 07:59 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 07:26 AM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
-------

John McElwain
Associate Commissioner
------

Not that you probably care, LOL, but you just gained some respect from me. The pilling on of Benson had almost become a requirement around here. Glad to see someone post a positive when it is deserved.

I do care. 250+ posts and all I have ever wanted was proper recognition from my GaSo brothers. Thank you. :-)

Seriously, I don't understand the anti-SB staff sentiment. The same thing happened in the SoCon it seems. The conf office is not working for me, they are working for the schools and the school leaders hire the staff, or at least the commish, and in the end the collective voice of the schools gives the overall marching orders to the conf staff.

That is not to say I agree with everything the SB staff does, but it seems things run smooth enough from my perspective.
04-21-2015 06:05 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
I haven't been paying enough attention to say if he does a good job or not. However, everything can't be the man's fault
04-22-2015 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.