Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Board of Governors approve the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
Board of Governors approve the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/lo...95166.html

Quote:The university received approval Thursday from a UNC Board of Governors committee for a “millennial campus.” That designation allows the flexibility for ECU to pursue deals with private companies to build what will be called the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus. The full board is expected to approve the measure Friday.

Quote:In ECU’s case, the venture would not be on one large tract of land but in four clusters adjacent to other parts of campus, including a warehouse district, downtown Greenville and the medical complex at the edge of town. It will be focused on five sectors – health care, military, advanced manufacturing, agricultural workforce and STEAM, otherwise known as science, technology, engineering and math integrated with the arts.

Quote:Harry Smith, a UNC board member, ECU graduate and Greenville resident, said the eastern region loses too many young people to the urban areas of the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte.

“We’re in a fight in the east,” Smith said. “And what we have to continue to do is have vision and continue to do everything we can to invest and help East Carolina University compete.”

This really is a big deal for ECU.

There are a number of companies that have pledged to back this project, which will transform an abandoned warehouse district essentially for half price (through an NC subsidy for renovating tobacco warehouses), and stimulate and drive more jobs both to Uptown Greenville (which desperately needs it), and the Medical District which doesn't as much.

This campus is really going to be the anchor that helps fill tenants in Uptown Greenville, drive private investment, and turn it into a very quaint and diverse area.
04-09-2015 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Board of Governors approve the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus
Congratulations ECU administration/alumni. It sounds like congrats are also in order for Greenville and her citizens as portions of the town will be transformed.
04-09-2015 10:23 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I'm also posting some new pictures of our new 200k sq ft student center that's breaking ground in December, obviously not related to the thread title but just found em and didn't want to make 2 threads at once. Good a time as ever to update our AAC friends on the happenings in Greenville

[Image: Picture2.jpg]

[Image: Picture3.jpg]

[Image: Picture1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 10:26 PM by PiratePanther189.)
04-09-2015 10:25 PM
Tiger-n-Bear Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
That is nice, research dollars means patents and papers. This is only good news for the conference and everyone. Congrats!
04-09-2015 10:30 PM
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Congrats ECU...

Way to go...
04-10-2015 07:01 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Helpful information, thank you
04-10-2015 10:52 AM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-10-2015 10:52 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Helpful information, thank you

This is great news for Eastern North Carolina. ECU's growth has been one of the best things for that part of the state. While we taunt each other about our teams, ECU has been an excellent part of the UNC School system. As I told many of my friends, I would be very happy if ECU was one of his choices when he graduates HS. 04-cheers
04-10-2015 10:55 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Where's that student center going to go? Jeez, I barely recognize the place. 03-old
04-10-2015 10:56 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(04-10-2015 10:56 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Where's that student center going to go? Jeez, I barely recognize the place. 03-old

Blunder, It'll sit at the intersection of 10th street and the loop in front of the Library.
04-10-2015 11:11 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(04-09-2015 10:25 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  I'm also posting some new pictures of our new 200k sq ft student center that's breaking ground in December, obviously not related to the thread title but just found em and didn't want to make 2 threads at once. Good a time as ever to update our AAC friends on the happenings in Greenville

That's going to look good!
04-10-2015 11:16 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-10-2015 11:11 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:56 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Where's that student center going to go? Jeez, I barely recognize the place. 03-old

Blunder, It'll sit at the intersection of 10th street and the loop in front of the Library.

OK. So on the campus side of 10th about where that Mexican restarant was? I think Campus Crusade ministry bldg was near there too. Is that parking deck behind it there now?

That's going to be a fantastic "front porch building" for the school.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 11:24 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-10-2015 11:23 AM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-10-2015 11:23 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

OK. So on the campus side of 10th about where that Mexican restarant was? I think Campus Crusade ministry bldg was near there too. Is that parking deck behind it there now?

Yes. Everything is getting demo'd.
04-10-2015 11:28 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(04-10-2015 11:28 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Yea, ECU acquired the campus ministry, Wendy's, Kinkos, and the Mexi place. The parking deck isn't there yet, it was budgeted a part of this project. Its basically turning the lot behind Mendenhall into a parking deck. And yes, it will be an excellent gateway to the university. Very timely with the 10th st connector coming along.
04-10-2015 12:36 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

(04-10-2015 12:36 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:28 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Yea, ECU acquired the campus ministry, Wendy's, Kinkos, and the Mexi place. The parking deck isn't there yet, it was budgeted a part of this project. Its basically turning the lot behind Mendenhall into a parking deck. And yes, it will be an excellent gateway to the university. Very timely with the 10th st connector coming along.

Unfortunately the Kinkos guy didn't sell, so that ugly building will still be there. He played hardball and ECU refused to overpay for the plot, but they will eventually have to pay for that land so it'll be interesting how that plays out.

Mexican restaurant will turn into paved parking, but the student center will stretch from Wendy's to the Student Ministry.
04-10-2015 12:58 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
My roommate work at that Wendy's and got fired on his first day.
04-10-2015 02:03 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Congrats to ECU and community. Wish we'd schedule you guys, so I could check your campus out in more detail. Especially interested in the tail gate and game atmosphere. Hear from you guys, it's top notch.
04-10-2015 02:21 PM
Advertisement

TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER
(04-10-2015 11:16 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 10:25 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  I'm also posting some new pictures of our new 200k sq ft student center that's breaking ground in December, obviously not related to the thread title but just found em and didn't want to make 2 threads at once. Good a time as ever to update our AAC friends on the happenings in Greenville

That's going to look good!

The funding was complete from my parking tickets at this location. Finally more parking. Kudos to admin
04-10-2015 03:04 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte

Oh that's the Library behind it, no wonder I didn't recognize the building. LOL! But no in all seriousness this is great news for ECU.
04-10-2015 03:21 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

Re: RE: Board of Governors approve the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus
(04-10-2015 02:03 PM)Chappy Wrote:  My roommate work at that Wendy's and got fired on his first day.

Lol. How did he pull that off?
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 03:25 PM by blunderbuss.)
04-10-2015 03:25 PM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
You pair the Research and Innovation news with the recent Patheon news the economics for ECU and the surrounding area is starting to look at bit better for the long term.
http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/dailyclips/blo...reflector/
04-10-2015 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.