Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southern repping well at Nationals
Bookmark and Share
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
Southern repping well at Nationals
I know it is a sport most don't appreciate, but the All Girl and coed squads for Ga southern are showing well at the NCA College Nationals in Daytona. Both teams Co. Pete in the intermediate division. All Girl is in first after day 1 and coed is in 2nd but we'll within striking distance.

Some of the teams they are competing against include:
Ohio state
Michigan
Florida
Florida state
UGA
UNC
UNC Charlotte
Kent state
Iowa state
Missouri
Texas A&M

If all girl wins, it would be number 5 in 7 years and coed is still looking for their first.

Figured I would give some good pub to some athletes that put in way more work than most realize.
04-09-2015 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
RE: Southern repping well at Nationals
I definitely don't follow cheerleading but am glad a Belt school is doing so well. I really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't take it on as a sport, unless the other organizations are so entrenched at this point that there would be bad politics involved.
04-09-2015 09:17 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(04-09-2015 09:17 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I definitely don't follow cheerleading but am glad a Belt school is doing so well. I really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't take it on as a sport, unless the other organizations are so entrenched at this point that there would be bad politics involved.

I think the reason for it, is not all schools compete. Cheering for football games is not a sport, and not at cheerleading squads are even necessarily athletic, or do anything athletic, and are basically glorified dance teams.

Another issue, is that if it were to be classified as a sport, I believe schools would then be required to have athletic training staff at all practices and events.

And lastly, cheerleading brings in zero money. To go to college nationals, it costs each squad approximately $10k. So in this case, Ga Southern had to raise about $20k, less whatever small budget they are given.

There are some schools however that offer scholarships for cheerleading, UK, Louisville, Stephen F Austin to name a few. Those teams typically win or compete to win at the higher level, because they offer scholarships. That's why a lot of schools like us, UGA, Ohio St compete at the intermediate level because the playing field is a bit more even. Basically think, non scholarship football team v a scholarship football team.
04-10-2015 07:27 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

Needs to be pointed out that this is a national competition and not the national competition, but still, kudos to our girls for repeatedly beating many schools with athletic programs much wealthier than ours.
04-10-2015 07:48 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Will this help with your Bubas Cup standing?
04-10-2015 07:58 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

(04-10-2015 07:27 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:17 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I definitely don't follow cheerleading but am glad a Belt school is doing so well. I really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't take it on as a sport, unless the other organizations are so entrenched at this point that there would be bad politics involved.

I think the reason for it, is not all schools compete. Cheering for football games is not a sport, and not at cheerleading squads are even necessarily athletic, or do anything athletic, and are basically glorified dance teams.

Another issue, is that if it were to be classified as a sport, I believe schools would then be required to have athletic training staff at all practices and events.

And lastly, cheerleading brings in zero money. To go to college nationals, it costs each squad approximately $10k. So in this case, Ga Southern had to raise about $20k, less whatever small budget they are given.

There are some schools however that offer scholarships for cheerleading, UK, Louisville, Stephen F Austin to name a few. Those teams typically win or compete to win at the higher level, because they offer scholarships. That's why a lot of schools like us, UGA, Ohio St compete at the intermediate level because the playing field is a bit more even. Basically think, non scholarship football team v a scholarship football team.

All good points. I guess I assumed that a lot of cheerleaders at schools like Georgia State were on scholarship, but now that I think about it, there's a good chance that's not the case. Cheerleading's place as a sport may be too fuzzy for NCAA sponsorship. It just seems like if they can sponsor, say, rhythmic/artistic gymnastics, cheer would make sense, too. Might even legitimize things in more people's eyes and help in getting on TV. And I think it's been pointed out around here that it could help some schools with Title IX concerns (or...maybe it would just complicate things...I dunno).
04-10-2015 08:08 AM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
South Alabama isn't very good right now. They're in Daytona as well but they're already out of it. BUT...

1. We do have cheer scholarships. I thought that was the norm?

2. Our mascot Southpaw won a national championship in 2010. Check out his routine below:

04-10-2015 08:11 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Here is one of my favorite former App cheerleaders

[Image: pg2_leigh_195.jpg]
04-10-2015 08:22 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(04-10-2015 08:08 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

All good points. I guess I assumed that a lot of cheerleaders at schools like Georgia State were on scholarship, but now that I think about it, there's a good chance that's not the case. Cheerleading's place as a sport may be too fuzzy for NCAA sponsorship. It just seems like if they can sponsor, say, rhythmic/artistic gymnastics, cheer would make sense, too. Might even legitimize things in more people's eyes and help in getting on TV. And I think it's been pointed out around here that it could help some schools with Title IX concerns (or...maybe it would just complicate things...I dunno).

(04-10-2015 08:11 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  South Alabama isn't very good right now. They're in Daytona as well but they're already out of it. BUT...

2. Our mascot Southpaw won a national championship in 2010. Check out his routine below:

yeah, cheerleading scholarships are definitely not the norm.

And Pounce, I completely agree on title iix. Most schools have a cheerleading squad so that would automatically take care of quite a few women's scholarships, even though a lot of schools have coed squads.

Do you know if USA offers full or just partial scholarships by any chance?
04-10-2015 08:45 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(04-10-2015 08:22 AM)APPrising Wrote:  Here is one of my favorite former App cheerleaders

[Image: pg2_leigh_195.jpg]

here is one of our girls, currently with the Atlanta hawks
[Image: 1415CheerleadersBETHANYmov-3567192-4.576x324.jpg]
04-10-2015 08:45 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
Keep the pics coming! Let's really get this thread firing on all cyllinders!
04-10-2015 09:15 AM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(04-10-2015 09:15 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  Keep the pics coming! Let's really get this thread firing on all cyllinders!

03-lmfao

I'd post a picture of myself, but I don't think that is what you were looking for. haha
04-10-2015 09:17 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
(04-10-2015 09:17 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 09:15 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  Keep the pics coming! Let's really get this thread firing on all cyllinders!

03-lmfao

I'd post a picture of myself, but I don't think that is what you were looking for. haha
Yeah I'll pass on that, but come on, some of your former GIRL teammates will suffice.
04-10-2015 09:24 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-10-2015 08:45 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 08:08 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

(04-10-2015 08:11 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  South Alabama isn't very good right now. They're in Daytona as well but they're already out of it. BUT...

yeah, cheerleading scholarships are definitely not the norm.

And Pounce, I completely agree on title iix. Most schools have a cheerleading squad so that would automatically take care of quite a few women's scholarships, even though a lot of schools have coed squads.

Do you know if USA offers full or just partial scholarships by any chance?

It's different amounts based on your talent level, skill set, and how long you've been with the program. They give partial scholarships, but I don't know how high they can go.
04-10-2015 09:27 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

All girl wins national championship number 5 in 8 years. Woohoo. UF took second.
04-10-2015 12:34 PM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

(04-10-2015 12:34 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  All girl wins national championship number 5 in 8 years. Woohoo. UF took second.

That's awesome news! Congrats ladies!
04-10-2015 01:31 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

(04-10-2015 01:31 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:34 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  All girl wins national championship number 5 in 8 years. Woohoo. UF took second.

That's awesome news! Congrats girls!

FIFY

(Not being sexist, just true to the nomenclature of the sport.)
04-10-2015 01:43 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

unfortunately coed dropped from 2nd to 5th. not sure what happened.
04-10-2015 01:54 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
UTA repeated as national champions in their division as well.
04-12-2015 10:55 AM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.

Former App State Dance Team CPT, now Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader Carissa Rose:
[Image: carissa.jpg]

http://ultimatecheerleaders.com/2012/10/...risa-rose/
04-12-2015 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.