Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis investigating 10 plus year relationship with convicted felon tutoring players
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Memphis investigating 10 plus year relationship with convicted felon tutoring players
Interesting story...it seems that a tutor (convicted felon) to star Memphis Players for the last 10 plus years was unknown to the Men's Basketball Coach.

She also tutored some of the local Memphis HS players that ended up at UM, all for seemingly "no pay".

Tutor to top basketball players draws University of Memphis' scrutiny

April 03--The University of Memphis is investigating claims that a woman unaffiliated with the university provided academic assistance to former Tiger basketball players during their collegiate careers unbeknownst to the athletic department.

Stacie-Leigh Greer, 45, told The Commercial Appeal she provided academic support to Chris Crawford and Adonis Thomas during high school and continued the relationships after they enrolled at Memphis. Her involvement in recent years, she said, included extra academic sessions arranged by the athletes, help with papers or essays sent to her by the athletes and holding weekend barbecues at her house, all of which has sparked an "internal inquiry" by the U of M.

See link for investigated story.

http://www.equities.com/index.php?option...&id=260813
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:43 AM by KnightLight.)
04-06-2015 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: Memphis investigating 10 plus year relationship with an outside tutor with 2 felonies
So... how'd she get convicted of 2 felonies? Not knowing all the details of this story I'd have to say it's pretty ridiculous that players can't have a tutor outside of the school regardless of the payment arrangements or whether it's free tutoring.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:50 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-06-2015 08:50 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Memphis investigating 10 plus year relationship with convicted felon tutoring players
why would you believe a convicted felon?

Quote:U OF M'S FRIDAY STATEMENT:

At this time, the University has no knowledge of any compliance issues regarding any of our programs and Ms. Greer. Until a few weeks ago, we were unaware of Ms. Greer’s work in the Memphis community. In our internal review, we’ve found no evidence of any compliance violations with regard to Ms. Greer and her relationships with any University of Memphis student-athletes. The University of Memphis Athletics Program is and will remain committed to the letter and intent of American Athletic Conference and NCAA rules regarding compliance and academic integrity. If any compliance issues arise, the University will respond accordingly.

Grant Milner ‏@GrantMilner 11s11 seconds ago
I have confirmed @Michael_Cohen13's story. There is an investigation going on, but don't expect any NCAA violations to come of it.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
Chris Crawford, Adonis Thomas, Joe Jackson all denied being tutored by Greer, who said they were funneled to her by Eric "Cowboy" Robinson.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:53 AM by UofMemphis.)
04-06-2015 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Memphis investigating 10 plus year relationship with convicted felon tutoring players
"Convicted felon" sounds scary in the media, but that could mean anything from murder/bank-robbery to driving with expired tags.
04-06-2015 08:53 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
It's all in the CA story...(which was not picked up nationally)

Quote:Absent from Greer’s narrative was any mention of a criminal record. Court documents obtained by the newspaper revealed Greer, referenced in the documents as Stacie Smith, pleaded guilty to two felonies in 2004, both connected to the educational company for which she was the chief manager.

Fayette County, according to the documents, was awarded a grant from the U.S. Department of Education for use in remedial reading, math and other enrichment programs, and Greer was contracted to be the project administrator. She was later indicted for theft of property from the Fayette County Board of Education valued at $60,000 or more and forgery for falsifying a contract.

Eventually, Greer pleaded guilty to theft of property valued between $10,000 and $60,000 and entered an Alford plea for the forgery charge, according to court documents. Her sentence included two weekends of jail time, $20,000 in restitution and three years of probation.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...y_42067266
04-06-2015 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-06-2015 08:51 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  why would you believe a convicted felon?

At this time, the University has no knowledge of any compliance issues regarding any of our programs and Ms. Greer. Until a few weeks ago, we were unaware of Ms. Greer’s work in the Memphis community. In our internal review, we’ve found no evidence of any compliance violations with regard to Ms. Greer and her relationships with any University of Memphis student-athletes. The University of Memphis Athletics Program is and will remain committed to the letter and intent of American Athletic Conference and NCAA rules regarding compliance and academic integrity. If any compliance issues arise, the University will respond accordingly.

I have confirmed @Michael_Cohen13's story. There is an investigation going on, but don't expect any NCAA violations to come of it.

Chris Crawford, Adonis Thomas, Joe Jackson all denied being tutored by Greer, who said they were funneled to her by Eric "Cowboy" Robinson.

This "Cowboy" character is well known in basketball Memphis. Most every promising talent in the city proper has probably been offered his 'helping hand' --- BTW, a "ten year plus relationship" means these guys where 11 or 12 when this began.
04-06-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-06-2015 08:53 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  "Convicted felon" sounds scary in the media, but that could mean anything from murder/bank-robbery to driving with expired tags.

I guess I'm an ex-felon myself. 03-yawn
04-06-2015 08:59 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
yep, this all comes back to Eric "Cowboy" Robinson...
04-06-2015 09:01 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(04-06-2015 08:50 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  So... how'd she get convicted of 2 felonies? Not knowing all the details of this story I'd have to say it's pretty ridiculous that players can't have a tutor outside of the school regardless of the payment arrangements or whether it's free tutoring.

That's no doubt not a problem but for UM, it seems that no one inside the basketball program knew about this 10 plus year relationship, no one on their academic side nor on the coaching side.

Add in the fact that she is a convicted felon...seemingly didn't accept payment from said players (was she paid by someone else?), and had close relationships with star players (regular BBQ's at her house, etc...), thats were the grey area meets the bone in regards to some NCAA regulations.

While nothing may come of this matter, I bet UM basically forces an end to their players' relationship with her. (probably for eligibility protection of said player and for the program).
04-06-2015 09:02 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(04-06-2015 08:53 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  "Convicted felon" sounds scary in the media, but that could mean anything from murder/bank-robbery to driving with expired tags.

Believe the Commercial Appeal story noted that her 2 felony convictions were related to her "Education/Tutoring" Business.

Edit: From UofMemphis post:

Absent from Greer’s narrative was any mention of a criminal record. Court documents obtained by the newspaper revealed Greer, referenced in the documents as Stacie Smith, pleaded guilty to two felonies in 2004, both connected to the educational company for which she was the chief manager.

Fayette County, according to the documents, was awarded a grant from the U.S. Department of Education for use in remedial reading, math and other enrichment programs, and Greer was contracted to be the project administrator. She was later indicted for theft of property from the Fayette County Board of Education valued at $60,000 or more and forgery for falsifying a contract.

Eventually, Greer pleaded guilty to theft of property valued between $10,000 and $60,000 and entered an Alford plea for the forgery charge, according to court documents. Her sentence included two weekends of jail time, $20,000 in restitution and three years of probation.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 09:04 AM by KnightLight.)
04-06-2015 09:03 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(04-06-2015 09:02 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 08:50 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  So... how'd she get convicted of 2 felonies? Not knowing all the details of this story I'd have to say it's pretty ridiculous that players can't have a tutor outside of the school regardless of the payment arrangements or whether it's free tutoring.

That's no doubt not a problem but for UM, it seems that no one inside the basketball program knew about this 10 plus year relationship, no one on their academic side nor on the coaching side.

Add in the fact that she is a convicted felon...seemingly didn't accept payment from said players (was she paid by someone else?) nope...from the story: "Greer worked with groups as small as a handful of players and as large as a full classroom, Henning said. If someone needed one-on-one sessions, Greer did that too. All of it, Henning and Greer said, was free.", and had close relationships with star players (regular BBQ's at her house, etc...), thats were the grey area meets the bone in regards to some NCAA regulations. what NCAA rule does that violate?

While nothing may come of this matter the only thing we agree on , I bet UM basically forces an end to their players' relationship with her. (probably for eligibility protection of said player and for the program). her felony should have insured that IMHO

Michael Cohen is reaching with this story...
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 09:15 AM by UofMemphis.)
04-06-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(04-06-2015 09:07 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Add in the fact that she is a convicted felon...seemingly didn't accept payment from said players (was she paid by someone else?) nope...from the story: "Greer worked with groups as small as a handful of players and as large as a full classroom, Henning said. If someone needed one-on-one sessions, Greer did that too. All of it, Henning and Greer said, was free.", and had close relationships with star players (regular BBQ's at her house, etc...), thats were the grey area meets the bone in regards to some NCAA regulations. what NCAA rule does that violate?

While nothing may come of this matter the only thing we agree on , I bet UM basically forces an end to their players' relationship with her. (probably for eligibility protection of said player and for the program). her felony should have insured that IMHO

story was written by a UConn grad with an axe to grind.

Can this board even collectively think of one reason why a UConn grad in the media would have an axe to grind with Memphis? That makes 0 sense. Not to mention the fact Michael Cohen is actually a Syracuse grad, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/michael-cohen
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 09:17 AM by Hank Schrader.)
04-06-2015 09:16 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(04-06-2015 09:16 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 09:07 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

story was written by a UConn grad with an axe to grind.

Can this board even collectively think of one reason why a UConn grad in the media would have an axe to grind with Memphis? That makes 0 sense. Not to mention the fact Michael Cohen is actually a Syracuse grad, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

that info came from MT.org so I should have known...but I hate UConn, and will continue to take swipes as I see them.
04-06-2015 09:23 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2015 09:16 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  Can this board even collectively think of one reason why a UConn grad in the media would have an axe to grind with Memphis? That makes 0 sense. Not to mention the fact Michael Cohen is actually a Syracuse grad, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Thanks for that secretly supplied linked created by UConn's administration. So planting false evidence --- wouldn't that be a sign of something to hide? Sometimes it's wise to take a step back to see more clearly ---
04-06-2015 09:54 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(04-06-2015 08:51 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  why would you believe a convicted felon?

Eric "Cowboy" Robinson use to be (maybe still is) the Head Coach of Memphis Magic AAU Team.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 10:41 AM by KnightLight.)
04-06-2015 10:40 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(04-06-2015 09:54 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 09:16 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  Can this board even collectively think of one reason why a UConn grad in the media would have an axe to grind with Memphis? That makes 0 sense. Not to mention the fact Michael Cohen is actually a Syracuse grad, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Thanks for that secretly supplied linked created by UConn's administration. So planting false evidence --- wouldn't that be a sign of something to hide? Sometimes it's wise to take a step back to see more clearly ---

03-lmfao
04-06-2015 10:50 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

For those that were trying to guess if this convicted felon who invited Memphis Basketball Players over to her house for BBQ's, also had another profession, you were right:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/stacie-leig...83/b1b/868

[Image: pAdPxeQM.jpeg]
04-06-2015 10:57 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
^ that's befitting of the National Enquirer...total non-story
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 11:28 AM by UofMemphis.)
04-06-2015 11:13 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(04-06-2015 09:03 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Believe the Commercial Appeal story noted that her 2 felony convictions were related to her "Education/Tutoring" Business.

Edit: From UofMemphis post:

Absent from Greer’s narrative was any mention of a criminal record. Court documents obtained by the newspaper revealed Greer, referenced in the documents as Stacie Smith, pleaded guilty to two felonies in 2004, both connected to the educational company for which she was the chief manager.

So is she not allowed to work as a tutor? Does she grade the students athletes papers? Is there some kind of implication that she is actually doing their work? Ar there some kind of unsaid things that she supposedly did while tutor? What is the gist of what you are posting?
04-06-2015 11:26 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Trying to understand --- is the claim here that Memphis basketball players might have had off-campus consensual sex with a woman who is a felon? And that they had sex with this felon without the knowledge of Josh Pastner?
04-06-2015 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.