Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So---What Might A Little Rock Bowl Be Like?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
So---What Might A Little Rock Bowl Be Like?
I know a lot of people are not happy with the bowl. That said, most of the people who are unhappy about it are in the east. The way I see it, you eastern guys will be heading to Boca, Orlando, Miami, and the Bahamas for your G5 bowls. I hated the idea of traveling 1000 miles to face G5 schools. Now western teams don't have to. The west will see G5 opponents in closer locations like Austin, Little Rock and sometimes Nola.

FWIW---from what Im hearing Little Rock Bowl officials want to model the bowl after the very successful GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile. The bowl there has done an excellent job of rolling out the red carpet and gearing the town to be all about the bowl for that week. The fans keep returning because they enjoy the fun affordable experience. This is an article from ArkState Scout site on how the Little Rock Bowl is looking to replicate that kind of experience. Its a pretty good article--especially for anyone who has never been there. The main point here is just because it's not the Cotton Bowl doesn't mean it can't be fun.

http://arkansasstate.scout.com/story/153...-gem?s=334
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 05:31 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-02-2015 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: So---What Might A Little Rock Bowl Be Like?
Your a victim of cognitive dissonance.I for one am not.N o amount of putting lipstick on this pig is going to make it anything other than what it is,a crap bowl against a likely crap team.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 07:22 PM by baruna falls.)
04-02-2015 07:22 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(04-02-2015 07:22 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Your a victim of cognitive dissonance.I for one am not.N o amount of putting lipstick on this pig is going to make it anything other than what it is,a crap bowl against a likely crap team.

But for HoustonSMUMemphisTulsaTulane, it's a nearby crap bowl against a crap team, instead of a crap bowl against a crap team 1500 miles away.
04-02-2015 07:30 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-02-2015 07:30 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 07:22 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Your a victim of cognitive dissonance.I for one am not.N o amount of putting lipstick on this pig is going to make it anything other than what it is,a crap bowl against a likely crap team.

But for HoustonSMUMemphisTulsaTulane, it's a nearby crap bowl against a crap team, instead of a crap bowl against a crap team 1500 miles away.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

It's a G5 bowl. A month ago the western teams were looking at traveling 1000 miles or more to play mid-pack G5's. These new bowls are within a reasonable drive and appear to be planning to offer fans affordable fun and a similar quality opponent. For the western teams it's a win. For the eastern teams, it's a non-event as it will likely never affect them in any way.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 07:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-02-2015 07:39 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Re: RE: So---What Might A Little Rock Bowl Be Like?

03-lmfao Actually its worse than that. Its a crap bowl for one of our worse teams vs one of the Slumbelch's best. But at least it's close to thw West schools. If that's what you want to spend holiday cash on, go for it.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 07:49 PM by blunderbuss.)
04-02-2015 07:45 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

Bringing the crap closer to home. The new level of expectation. 04-bow
04-02-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(04-02-2015 08:40 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

Bringing the crap closer to home. The new level of expectation. 04-bow

Such is life in the AAC.
04-02-2015 09:16 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-02-2015 05:09 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Little Rock Bowl officials want to model the bowl after the very successful GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile. The bowl there has done an excellent job of rolling out the red carpet and gearing the town to be all about the bowl for that week. The fans keep returning because they enjoy the fun affordable experience.
This overlooks the fact that Mobile really is an interesting city with fun things to see/do and (usually) mild climate around late Dec./early Jan. Little Rock, not so much.
04-02-2015 09:34 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-02-2015 09:34 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 05:09 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Little Rock Bowl officials want to model the bowl after the very successful GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile. The bowl there has done an excellent job of rolling out the red carpet and gearing the town to be all about the bowl for that week. The fans keep returning because they enjoy the fun affordable experience.
This overlooks the fact that Mobile really is an interesting city with fun things to see/do and (usually) mild climate around late Dec./early Jan. Little Rock, not so much.

I take it you didn't read the article. Its not the Vegas Strip, but Little Rock does have an entertainment district and hotels positioned so patrons can walk to a large variety of bars, restaurants, and points of interest. The weather is the same as the weather in Memphis. The Liberty Bowl seems to have done ok. Honestly, the difference to me is that a place like Mobile actually is aware the game is occurring in the city. In Orlando, how many people know or care about it? In a place like Little Rock, maybe they make a big deal out of it and support it (more like how Memphis residents support the Liberty). I think it could potentially be a great time if the folks there are behind it and use some imagination. We will see. lol...If it sucks it wont be around long.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 09:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-02-2015 09:45 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(04-02-2015 09:45 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I take it you didn't read the article. The weather is the same as Memphis. The Liberty Bowl seems to have done ok.

I really do not understand all the whining about the weather. It might just as easily be in the mid 70s and if not, we are talking about football here.
04-02-2015 09:49 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
It seems the eastern half of the conference will get better bowl slots. No way Miami, St. Pete, or Military go to anyone outside of the eastern division. So by de facto, we will be playing P5 and BYU.
04-02-2015 09:57 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(04-02-2015 09:57 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  It seems the eastern half of the conference will get better bowl slots. No way Miami, St. Pete, or Military go to anyone outside of the eastern division. So by de facto, we will be playing P5 and BYU.

Its a mirror. The east will see a P5 in the Military yearly. The west will see one in Birmingham yearly. Every other year slots against P5's in the east are found in St Pete and maybe Miami. In the West, theres one every other year in Ft Worth.

We have eastern G5 bowls in Boca, Bahamas, Orlando, and usually in Miami. We have western G5 bowls in Little Rock, Austin, New Orleans, and sometimes Hawaii.

Basically, all that's changed is the western teams no longer have to travel 1000 miles to play a mid-pack G5. We travel 500 miles or less to do it---just like they do in the east.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 10:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-02-2015 10:04 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Little Rock in December is underrated. 07-coffee3
04-02-2015 10:05 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

I really like Mobile and I've spent a ton of money there, but the only thing Little Rock won't top them at is mardi gras parades, battleships, and fresh seafood. Little Rock has superior restaurant options and more bars and more attractions which should be expected with Little Rock being the heart of a metro that has nearly double the population of the Mobile metro and is a state capital. Only two of the state's seven Fortune 500 corporations are based in Little Rock (Arkansas is one of the top 9 states in business growth the past 20 years according to Fortune) but they have had a strong influence on getting the various cities in the metro to cooperate.
04-02-2015 10:38 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

December weather can be all over the place. Pulled five years of December 20th weather. Only one day was below freezing and was above freezing from sunrise to midnight. Only one day had rain during possible game time.

December 20, 2014 high 50 low 38
December 20, 2013 high 72 low 63 (rain started around 8pm)
December 20, 2012 high 69 low 39
December 20, 2011 high 63 low 48
December 20, 2010 high 57 low 30
04-02-2015 10:48 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Well said. I follow MEMPHIS to ALL bowl games, because they are (1) FUN and (2) important to my school and conference. Anytime MEMPHIS qualifies for the Little Rock Bowl while being ranked in the lower half of the AAC, I will gladly travel to it and I WILL have FUN. Debbie Downers can do as they please.

As for weather, those who worry about rain and/or cold when their team plays in a bowl game, are sorry-assed excuses for "fans".
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 09:39 AM by Gray Avenger.)
04-03-2015 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-02-2015 10:05 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Little Rock in December is underrated. 07-coffee3

Weather is the most ridiculous bowl complaint to ever come to be. Especially when you consider that Arkansas usually is fairly mild in December, and doesn't start really getting cold until Mid January.

The last time I remember a major December winter storm was 13 years ago when I was in the 10th grade. It just doesn't happen very often. I'd be far more worried if it was a January Bowl.

Besides, it's football
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 10:30 AM by chiefsfan.)
04-03-2015 10:29 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(04-03-2015 10:29 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:05 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Little Rock in December is underrated. 07-coffee3

Weather is the most ridiculous bowl complaint to ever come to be. Especially when you consider that Arkansas usually is fairly mild in December, and doesn't start really getting cold until Mid January.

The last time I remember a major December winter storm was 13 years ago when I was in the 10th grade. It just doesn't happen very often. I'd be far more worried if it was a January Bowl.

Besides, it's football

When it's a Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field it is part of the charm of football.
04-03-2015 10:34 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
Texas loves football so it may be a no brainer to start a Dallas bowl...
04-03-2015 02:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-03-2015 02:53 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  Texas loves football so it may be a no brainer to start a Dallas bowl...

There is already 3 in the Dallas Metroplex---Heart of Dallas, Cotton, and Armed Forces Bowl. Interestingly, that's supposedly going to be the future location for the AAC headquarters.
04-03-2015 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.