Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bitcoin no longer sponsoring St. Petersburg bowl game
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
Bitcoin no longer sponsoring St. Petersburg bowl game
Well that sponsorship didn't last long. I just don't know why they can't name the bowls like the old days and then have presented by at the end and quit naming the bowls after sponsors that keep dropping out. Makes no sense. No way to build history or name recognition for a bowl when the name changes every year.

Bitcoin
04-02-2015 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: Bitcoin no longer sponsoring St. Petersburg bowl game
Half the bowls wouldn't exist if they named them like they did in the old days. Welcome to corporate America. It's nothing more than a money making scheme. Unfortunately it's public universities getting fleeced.
04-02-2015 08:42 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(04-02-2015 08:42 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Half the bowls wouldn't exist if they named them like they did in the old days. Welcome to corporate America. It's nothing more than a money making scheme. Unfortunately it's public universities getting fleeced.

I honestly have no idea what the money difference is one way or the other but the Rose bowl is a good example. Now it is the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio. Is the dollar difference that much different if it is name the Vizio bowl? I mean there logos and ads are everywhere in both cases. Just find it silly the names change every year. No sense of history whatsoever.
04-02-2015 08:48 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-02-2015 08:48 AM)PT_american Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 08:42 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Half the bowls wouldn't exist if they named them like they did in the old days. Welcome to corporate America. It's nothing more than a money making scheme. Unfortunately it's public universities getting fleeced.

I honestly have no idea what the money difference is one way or the other but the Rose bowl is a good example. Now it is the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio. Is the dollar difference that much different if it is name the Vizio bowl? I mean there logos and ads are everywhere in both cases. Just find it silly the names change every year. No sense of history whatsoever.

Again, the reason why I like this board. They are typically first with College Football news of any kind. Agree with the idea it should be BLANK NAME sponsored by COMPANY. I better get off before somehow this compliment is accused of trolling the AAC fans. 04-cheers
04-02-2015 08:53 AM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
Please bring back Beef O'Bradys sponsorship!
04-02-2015 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Bitcoin has reallocated their sponsorship money for the next time we play a Virtual Bowl.
04-02-2015 09:31 AM
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Well the bowl is the St. Petersburg Bowl just sponsored by whomever.
04-02-2015 09:41 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(04-02-2015 08:53 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Again, the reason why I like this board. They are typically first with College Football news of any kind. Agree with the idea it should be BLANK NAME sponsored by COMPANY.

+1

But like someone else stated, is just a scheme with no plans in making it a historical bowl.
04-02-2015 10:22 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(04-02-2015 08:53 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Again, the reason why I like this board. They are typically first with College Football news of any kind. Agree with the idea it should be BLANK NAME sponsored by COMPANY. I better get off before somehow this compliment is accused of trolling the AAC fans. 04-cheers

TOTALLY AGREE. Hey, they made the Chik Fil A bowl change to 'Peach Bowl sponsored by Chik Fil A'... just to keep the history visible among the NYD6. So if it can be done for a big bowl, it can be done for a small bowl. Every bowl should have a historic name first, and then 'sponsored by' second.
04-02-2015 10:28 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Not even sure it's that anymore. I heard from a guy05-lurk who worked with the I Bowl that the Duck guys "lent" their name to the bowl for one year. I guess they both got pub/visibility if not $ out of it.
04-02-2015 10:38 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Did the Birmingham Bowl ever pick up a new sponsor, after BBVA dropped out a year ago?
04-02-2015 10:41 AM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

Working on it.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/stor.../70723552/

Quote:Papa John's and BBVA Compass were previous title sponsors for the bowl since the bowl began in 2006 in Birmingham, but was without one for the first time ever this year. Birmingham Bowl CEO Mark Meadows is optimistic that issue will be resolved by "late summer" at the latest.
04-02-2015 10:55 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-02-2015 10:38 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  

Not even sure it's that anymore. I heard from a guy05-lurk who worked with the I Bowl that the Duck guys "lent" their name to the bowl for one year. I guess they both got pub/visibility if not $ out of it.

That still makes them $$$$.
04-02-2015 11:06 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(04-02-2015 08:36 AM)PT_american Wrote:  Well that sponsorship didn't last long. I just don't know why they can't name the bowls like the old days and then have presented by at the end and quit naming the bowls after sponsors that keep dropping out. Makes no sense. No way to build history or name recognition for a bowl when the name changes every year.

Bitcoin

Such is the fate of these POS bowls we are associated with.
04-02-2015 11:11 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-02-2015 11:11 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 08:36 AM)PT_american Wrote:  Well that sponsorship didn't last long. I just don't know why they can't name the bowls like the old days and then have presented by at the end and quit naming the bowls after sponsors that keep dropping out. Makes no sense. No way to build history or name recognition for a bowl when the name changes every year.

Bitcoin

Happens to them all. Tostitos dumped the Fiesta last year if I remember correctly.
04-02-2015 11:27 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(04-02-2015 11:27 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Bitcoin

Happens to them all. Tostitos dumped the Fiesta last year if I remember correctly.

FedEx dropped Orange Bowl in the past....Capital One dropped their Orlando Bowl and ran to Miami's bowl.

Sponsorships for top bowls change all the time too but that UC fan who bashes AAC in every post seems to forget that.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 09:04 AM by KnightLight.)
04-03-2015 09:04 AM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Considering the ratings every game brings in, I fail to see any bowl game is a "POS". Unless, you are talking about games from a competitive or matchup standpoint. But even then, it gives the nation a chance to see unknown players.

Bowl games have always been about making money and attracting tourists. The Rose Bowl wasn't started to settle national championship debates. It was launched, as a part of a festival, to lure Easterners to Pasadena for economic progress.

Bowl games help simulate a local economy, no small task in these financial downtimes and no one is making you watch Podunk U play Commuter School State.
04-03-2015 03:18 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
(04-03-2015 09:04 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Bitcoin

FedEx dropped Orange Bowl in the past....Capital One dropped their Orlando Bowl and ran to Miami's bowl.

Sponsorships for top bowls change all the time too but that UC fan who bashes AAC in every post seems to forget that.

I'm sure he didn't forget that. He just chose to ignore it to better bash the AAC.
04-03-2015 04:33 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-02-2015 10:55 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Working on it.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/stor.../70723552/

Quote:Papa John's and BBVA Compass were previous title sponsors for the bowl since the bowl began in 2006 in Birmingham, but was without one for the first time ever this year. Birmingham Bowl CEO Mark Meadows is optimistic that issue will be resolved by "late summer" at the latest.

I just see NO future for this bowl. The stadium is already in bad shape and now with no primary tenant to pay upkeep, I can't see the physical plant having a long-term future. They can't keep a primary sponsor and have no real leads at this point. Birmingham, as a community, doesn't support this bowl... It's got nothing going for it.

If the Little Rock folks were smart, they would be talking with the SEC to buy out the SEC contract from Birmingham (probably could use the stadium as just cause to sever the contract...) and basically make the LR bowl the "Birmingham" bowl.
04-03-2015 05:06 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-03-2015 09:04 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Bitcoin

First, FedEx was very...down right explicitly...clear that they were removing their sponsorship from the Orange Bowl BECAUSE the Big East...now the American...did not provide the ratings to justify the money investment in sponsoring the OB. A year later, the OB announced that they too were ending their affiliation with the BE, which was the precursor to the eventual ending of the "AQ" status. So, while sponsorships do change, the case you cite is actually more indicative of the weak product the BE...now AAC... (and YES, UC was/is part of that picture) presents.

Secondly, I think you'd have to agree that, while Bowl sponsorships do change, they seem to change much more often for the AAC bowls than others. The St. Petersburg Bowl and the Birmingham Bowl have not been able to keep a stable sponsorship and we keep trying to add bowls without any real sponsors to hang them on. While corporate sponsorships are not the end-all-be-all of a bowl's success, they lend an air of reputability and create a feeling of stability to a Bowl. Magic Jack, BitCoin, and "DotCom" companies are dodgy to begin with and when you go through a slew of them people honestly wonder if the Bowl is stable and reputable to do business with.

Not to mention that it makes the Bowl a joke as well. (ie. "The Pizza Bowl," or "The Ice Bowl" etc... These were not terms of affection.)
04-03-2015 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.