Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

"How many coaches would come if you fire Pastner too soon"
Bookmark and Share
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
MyBB "How many coaches would come if you fire Pastner too soon"
I keep hearing this line about coaches being scared away if Pastner is fired too soon. This may be true in general, but Pastner is an exception. There is a perception that Pastner is inexperienced and has underperformed considering the talent and resources he has.

While it may be true that few would want to have followed Cal, following Pastner would be a gem in the eyes of many coaches.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 09:28 PM by Memp400Kng.)
03-24-2015 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: "How many coaches would come if you fire Pastner too soon"
You might need a lot of tissue depending on the number
03-24-2015 09:56 PM
Timmy989 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis & ETSU
(03-24-2015 09:09 PM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  I keep hearing this line about coaches being scared away if Pastner is fired too soon. This may be true in general, but Pastner is an exception. There is a perception that Pastner is inexperienced and has underperformed considering the talent and resources he has.

While it may be true that few would want to have followed Cal, following Pastner would be a gem in the eyes of many coaches.

The perception you speak of is just fan based. How do you know that coaches don't respect him? Most of the things I have heard talk about how amazed coaches were that he held Memphis together after Cal leaving and what a tough spot it was
03-24-2015 11:42 PM
Halfcourt Offline
Rec League All-Star

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
How many coaches will come if you fire Pastner too late?
03-25-2015 07:31 AM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TigersnRedskins
(03-25-2015 07:31 AM)Halfcourt Wrote:  How many coaches will come if you fire Pastner too late?

This.....

Coaches want the money, they're not worried about what happened with Pastner.

Most basketball schools if you get 6 years and yield these results, you're gone.

Cal left after 10(not talking success just length of time). Pastner going into year 7 and still trying to find his way.
03-25-2015 08:15 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(03-25-2015 08:15 AM)memphissince86 Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 07:31 AM)Halfcourt Wrote:  How many coaches will come if you fire Pastner too late?

This.....

Most basketball schools if you get 6 years and yield these results, you're gone.

Cal left after 10(not talking success just length of time). Pastner going into year 7 and still trying to find his way.

Some dude that makes just shy of $10million a year now coaching college basketball took more than a decade to "find his way."
03-25-2015 08:18 AM
Advertisement

memphissince86 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2015 08:18 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

This.....

Some dude that makes just shy of $10million a year now coaching college basketball took more than a decade to "find his way."

Who? And does that mean you should keep Pastner b/c you HOPE he turns into a coaching great?
03-25-2015 08:20 AM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(03-25-2015 08:18 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

This.....

No, he didn't.
03-25-2015 09:30 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
If he leaves on his own, however.....
03-25-2015 09:36 AM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
Who took more than a decade? Is that the lone exception out of thousands of coaches? This is a broken record, Pastner will not be uber successful just because 1 or 2 out of hundreds of other coaches took a lot of time to develop. The evidence actually points to the contrary, isn't there terminology for this?
03-25-2015 09:55 AM
tigersgrizzfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigersgrizz
(03-25-2015 09:55 AM)hopeum Wrote:  Who took more than a decade? Is that the lone exception out of thousands of coaches? This is a broken record, Pastner will not be uber successful just because 1 or 2 out of hundreds of other coaches took a lot of time to develop. The evidence actually points to the contrary, isn't there terminology for this?
man just stop it...people don't want hear this LOL!

.. all this "to soon" talk, in what life does a coach get 7 years to "Learn" how to coach...only CJP get break after break. It makes no sense!!
03-25-2015 10:01 AM
Advertisement

roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(03-25-2015 10:01 AM)tigersgrizzfan Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 09:55 AM)hopeum Wrote:  Who took more than a decade? Is that the lone exception out of thousands of coaches? This is a broken record, Pastner will not be uber successful just because 1 or 2 out of hundreds of other coaches took a lot of time to develop. The evidence actually points to the contrary, isn't there terminology for this?

.. all this "to soon" talk, in what life does a coach get 7 years to "Learn" how to coach...only CJP get break after break. It makes no sense!!

The problem you have is that it hasn't been viewed as 7 years of steady decline by most outsiders. If you were an outsider and looked at Pastner's record, you'd see 5 years of modest improvement (finally beat top 25 team, finally won in the NCAA, etc.) and then one down year. Apparently, those who have the $ to make a change must either a) think Pastner can turn it around or b) just not want to spend their $ on buying him out and paying another coach. In the meantime, we should continue to bash on the boards and to our friends, because it can only help the program.
03-25-2015 10:10 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(03-24-2015 09:09 PM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  I keep hearing this line about coaches being scared away if Pastner is fired too soon. This may be true in general, but Pastner is an exception. There is a perception that Pastner is inexperienced and has underperformed considering the talent and resources he has.

It's worse to wait imo. If this keeps up we become DePaul
03-25-2015 10:34 AM
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
Great Post. One more year is not going to make Memphis irrelevant. If he has another sub par season more "good" coaches would understand the firing.
03-25-2015 10:49 AM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2015 10:10 AM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

The problem you have is that it hasn't been viewed as 7 years of steady decline by most outsiders. If you were an outsider and looked at Pastner's record, you'd see 5 years of modest improvement (finally beat top 25 team, finally won in the NCAA, etc.) and then one down year. Apparently, those who have the $ to make a change must either a) think Pastner can turn it around or b) just not want to spend their $ on buying him out and paying another coach. In the meantime, we should continue to bash on the boards and to our friends, because it can only help the program.

That's funny, I see disappointment and underachievement in the last 4 of his 6yrs. Others see modest improvement.
03-25-2015 10:53 AM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2015 10:49 AM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  Great Post. One more year is not going to make Memphis irrelevant. If he has another sub par season more "good" coaches would understand the firing.

It makes Memphis irrelevant to recruits. They see the transfers. One more year! One more year!

Other coaches can see and understand the firing when you have players fleeing from the program.
03-25-2015 10:55 AM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(03-25-2015 10:53 AM)memphissince86 Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 10:10 AM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

That's funny, I see disappointment and underachievement in the last 4 of his 6yrs. Others see modest improvement.

I'm with you. Some people see what they want I guess.
03-25-2015 10:55 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(03-25-2015 10:34 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Yep.

Seems like all that mindfulness talk - paralysis by analysis - rubbed off on Rudd and certain boosters.
03-25-2015 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stammers Offline
Legend

(03-25-2015 10:34 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Are we a top 20 program where anyone can win quickly or DePaul? You seem confused.

LMAO
03-25-2015 11:03 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I have a more important question. If pastner leaves or is fired, will the board polarity reverse? Will the sunshine pumpers become miserables and miserables become sunshine pumpers?

Mentally labelling every single poster is already exhausting enough.
03-25-2015 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.