Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AState paying Full Cost of Attendance
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
AState paying Full Cost of Attendance
Not really surprising but the numbers are staggering. Going to cost us about a Million Dollars annually to do it. The cost per athlete here is one of the Highest in the country. Top 20 Nationally according to the numbers that have been released.
03-09-2015 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: AState paying Full Cost of Attendance
(03-09-2015 02:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Not really surprising but the numbers are staggering. Going to cost us about a Million Dollars annually to do it. The cost per athlete here is one of the Highest in the country. Top 20 Nationally according to the numbers that have been released.

I have heard that the schools do not dictate the cost of attendance. Is that true? If so, who is it dictated by?
03-09-2015 02:27 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Auburn can offer $5,586 and Georgia can offer $1,798.

How long before Georgia screams? How long before Georgia tries to find a way to manipulate the figure upwards?
03-09-2015 02:32 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-09-2015 02:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Not really surprising but the numbers are staggering. Going to cost us about a Million Dollars annually to do it. The cost per athlete here is one of the Highest in the country. Top 20 Nationally according to the numbers that have been released.

I'm surprised. I know our AD has stated ours would cost about $1.5 million.
03-09-2015 02:36 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-09-2015 02:36 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  

I'm surprised. I know our AD has stated ours would cost about $1.5 million.

The formula appears to be the big factor. Georgia pays about 1600 bucks roughly to its athletes, and Arkansas State pays nearly three times that much per Athlete.

You have to wonder how this plays out because in the mind of the kid. 5,000 is bigger than 1500. They aren't going to stop and pretend to understand the difference in costs per place. Schools that pay more are going to have slight advantages in recruiting because of it.
03-09-2015 02:50 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Is Georgia forced to only pay $1600, or can they pay higher. What happens when stAte out recruits Georgia due to this and Georgia in return is signing 2-3 star guys and stAte is signing 4-5 star guys???
03-09-2015 02:55 PM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
I doubt the big guys are worrying about all this and there will be caps and a agreed upon formula. The power schools in the power five will never have it where they are not all paying about the same or the difference be negligible. Also, if a kid is to dumb to figure out an apartment in Hawaii is way more expensive than in Athens do you really want them on your team?
03-09-2015 03:00 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Not talking Hawaii, talking the difference between Athens, GA and Jonesboro, AR.

I'm sure apartments and cost of living between the two honestly are that different from each other.
03-09-2015 03:06 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

A school won't want to pay less than their actual COA so you would have to cap P5 at the highest COA for any school.

COA numbers can change over time as well.

This strikes me as an arms race just waiting to happen.
03-09-2015 03:38 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
They can't cap it until the OBannon case makes its way through the appeals process (if then). Right now the NCAA is under injunction preventing the association from capping aid at anything below full cost.

Schools can choose to offer less but the NCAA can't make anyone pay less than full cost.

I think eventually (if the courts go right) that you will see a cap in the $2k to $4k range.
03-09-2015 03:39 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2015 03:39 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  They can't cap it until the OBannon case makes its way through the appeals process (if then). Right now the NCAA is under injunction preventing the association from capping aid at anything below full cost.

Schools can choose to offer less but the NCAA can't make anyone pay less than full cost.

I think eventually (if the courts go right) that you will see a cap in the $2k to $4k range.
Why would Auburn be in favor of a cap less than their calculated COA?
03-09-2015 03:42 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-09-2015 03:42 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 03:39 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  They can't cap it until the OBannon case makes its way through the appeals process (if then). Right now the NCAA is under injunction preventing the association from capping aid at anything below full cost.

Auburn is one vote out of 14 in the SEC. Why would Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Georgia, not vote to force Aubbie in line with them?
03-09-2015 03:55 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2015 03:55 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Auburn is one vote out of 14 in the SEC. Why would Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Georgia, not vote to force Aubbie in line with them?
The rest of the SEC forcing Auburn football players to not get full cost of their college attendance?

If the NCAA is not allowed to mandate that...why would the SEC be allowed to mandate that?
03-09-2015 04:01 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-09-2015 04:01 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

The rest of the SEC forcing Auburn football players to not get full cost of their college attendance?

If the NCAA is not allowed to mandate that...why would the SEC be allowed to mandate that?

You clearly ignored the entire discussion of got to let the court stuff settle out, but the injunction is against the NCAA, NOT the SEC. The SEC wasn't a party to the case and cannot be enjoined without new litigation so the SEC could impose a cap if they choose to, I don't see them doing that until they see where the other leagues are or the NCAA litigation reaches finality.
03-09-2015 04:05 PM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-09-2015 02:27 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  

I have heard that the schools do not dictate the cost of attendance. Is that true? If so, who is it dictated by?

What I'm hearing is that they are federal numbers, and ours are gonna be up there higher than you'd expect.
03-09-2015 04:08 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-09-2015 04:08 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 02:27 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  

What I'm hearing is that they are federal numbers, and ours are gonna be up there higher than you'd expect.

The numbers really skew big for rural programs. Don't understand it but that's how it is.
03-09-2015 04:11 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2015 04:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 04:01 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

You clearly ignored the entire discussion of got to let the court stuff settle out, but the injunction is against the NCAA, NOT the SEC. The SEC wasn't a party to the case and cannot be enjoined without new litigation so the SEC could impose a cap if they choose to, I don't see them doing that until they see where the other leagues are or the NCAA litigation reaches finality.

I assumed that if the court slapped the NCAA for doing it then the SEC would not invite their own lawsuit by doing the same thing. I thought the whole exercise of giving COA was to avoid lawsuits...not invite them.
03-09-2015 04:11 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(03-09-2015 02:50 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You have to wonder how this plays out because in the mind of the kid. 5,000 is bigger than 1500. They aren't going to stop and pretend to understand the difference in costs per place. Schools that pay more are going to have slight advantages in recruiting because of it.

What I can see is the handful of highly recruited kids with rich parents choosing to attend the schools with the highest FCOA so they can sock it away in the bank. Just a thought.
03-09-2015 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-09-2015 04:18 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 02:50 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You have to wonder how this plays out because in the mind of the kid. 5,000 is bigger than 1500. They aren't going to stop and pretend to understand the difference in costs per place. Schools that pay more are going to have slight advantages in recruiting because of it.

What I can see is the handful of highly recruited kids with rich parents choosing to attend the schools with the highest FCOA so they can sock it away in the bank. Just a thought.

Yes because Rich kids and their parents are extremely worried about $3k a year.
03-09-2015 04:28 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
This is just the beginning. Also schools will find a way to manipulate the numbers to pay whatever they feel they need to. There is obviously something screwy about the dollar amounts used currently to decide on coa. There is no possible way a student needs more money to go to auburn than georgia or vanderbilt. So it will be very quickly manipulated to average it out which will only cause other schools to use the same method to pay more once again.
03-09-2015 04:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.