Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: EZU struggles and Campbell Baseball success
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
So I know there's no reason to talk about anything but UNCW sports right now, given all the good things going on, but after seeing that Campbell swept a doubleheader over William & Mary today while EZU struggled to beat Old Dominion, I was thinking about how EZU baseball hasn't been relevant in a while, whereas Campbell's program is soaring.

We all know EZU has been bad in basketball for a while, and this season was no different. 11-16 (6-10 AAC), # 222 in the RPI. Ho hum.

But baseball was the secondary sport the Pirates used to hang their hats on. They once hosted a Regional and reached a Super Regional. But this is how they've been doing lately (for some reason I can't access RPI records prior to 2013 from warrennolan.com):

2011: 41-21
-- lost at Charlottesville Regional

2012: 36-24-1
-- lost at Chapel Hill Regional

2013: 31-26 (# 84 RPI)
-- No Regional, lost in C-USA Tourney

2014: 33-26 (# 73)
-- No Regional, lost in C-USA Tourney

2015: 6-5 (# 122)

Just a downward slide for the Pirates. So far this year they got swept at home by Virginia, lost a game to Liberty and got beaten up 7-0 by NC State. For the 3rd straight season it appears EZU will need to win their Conference Tournament to get into the Big Dance, and they almost certainly will NOT be the favorite.

I guess they can be proud of their 8-5 football team?

Meanwhile.....check out the Campbell Baseball program's meteoric rise in baseball:

2011: 17-37
-- No Regional, lost in A-Sun Tourney

2012: 41-18
-- No Regional, lost in Big South Tourney

2013: 49-10 (# 37 RPI)

2014: 41-21 (# 63)
-- Won Big South title, Loss at Columbia, SC Regional

2015: 10-2 (# 110)

At the '14 Regional, Campbell gave South Carolina a nice battle in a 5-2 loss then eliminated ODU before losing once again to USC to bow out. They're also off to a solid start this season and will be a favorite to take the Big South crown again.

It's kind of unbelievable that Campbell is shooting for their 4th straight 40 win season given that they'd been pretty bad previously. It's also kind of crazy that they didn't get an NCAA at large bid in either '12 OR '13 but that's besides the point. Campbell's rise in Baseball has coincided with EZU's fall from grace.

The pecking order for where NC recruits choose to go to school appears to be shifting. And given how low EZU's academic standards are, they should be demanding more out of their flailing Baseball program. Despite their struggles we've gone 4-5 against the Pirates over the last 5 years to keep the rivalry going strong. It would be a shame if they continue to fall off to the point where our relationship is of the "Hammer and Nail" variety.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 12:36 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
03-04-2015 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Well, it was bound to happen. An ezu mention is bound to bring the Greenville trolls into the mix and I'll need to request a smack board. SN08, I knew I could rely on you to keep me busy...
03-04-2015 11:52 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: OT: EZU struggles and Campbell Baseball success
I honestly think Campbell would be a great addition to the CAA. They are right around 10,000 students, have a great campus, and have great support in the Raleigh area. They are a rising star.
03-05-2015 04:14 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2015 04:14 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I honestly think Campbell would be a great addition to the CAA. They are right around 10,000 students, have a great campus, and have great support in the Raleigh area. They are a rising star.

Good point. Unfortunately, the CAA is probably done adding any more southern teams unless either/both of the Virginia teams leave. And Campbell is kind of an RPI killer in basketball. But it wouldn't be an absolutely terrible fit either.
03-05-2015 09:03 AM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I think Campbell would rise if they came to the CAA.
03-05-2015 09:17 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2015 09:17 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I think Campbell would rise if they came to the CAA.

True. Elon seemed to rise to the occasion a bit. But they need a new arena for sure. Between the lack of seating and nice carpeting, I thought I was about to witness a musical, not a basketball game.
03-05-2015 09:19 AM
UNCWSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Re: RE: OT: EZU struggles and Campbell Baseball success
(03-04-2015 10:11 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Meanwhile.....check out the Campbell Baseball program's meteoric rise in baseball:

2011: 17-37

2012: 41-18
-- No Regional, lost in Big South Tourney

2013: 49-10 (# 37 RPI)

2014: 41-21 (# 63)
-- Won Big South title, Loss at Columbia, SC Regional

2015: 10-2 (# 110)

It's kind of unbelievable that Campbell is shooting for their 4th straight 40 win season given that they'd been pretty bad previously. It's also kind of crazy that they didn't get an NCAA at large bid in either '12 OR '13 but that's besides the point. Campbell's rise in Baseball has coincided with EZU's fall from grace.

I remember watching the selection show in 2013 & seeing the tears rolling down those kids faces. I recall them playing a pretty weak schedule, but that RPI number would suggest otherwise.

Its great to have local teams on the schedule, especially when they can both contribute to each other's RPI/SoS. Much unlike this NCCU series.
03-05-2015 11:22 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2015 11:22 AM)UNCWSuperFan Wrote:  I remember watching the selection show in 2013 & seeing the tears rolling down those kids faces. I recall them playing a pretty weak schedule, but that RPI number would suggest otherwise.

Yep. I know 40 wins is no longer an effective benchmark to say with confidence a team will be in. But 49 wins? I don't care if you're playing Mississippi Valley St. every weekend, how do you not get a 3-seed somewhere out of that?
03-05-2015 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.