Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness"
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness"
"keeping education central to the mission of intercollegiate athletics"

-- The advantage of saying that in a press release is that a Big Ten official doesn't have to try to say it out loud with a straight face while cameras are rolling.

http://btn.com/2015/02/24/big-ten-confer...readiness/

Quote:ROSEMONT, Ill. – Big Ten faculty, administrators and student-athlete representatives met this week to further discuss the importance of keeping education central to the mission of intercollegiate athletics.

The conference unanimously decided it would be important at this juncture to reach out to a diverse group of thought leaders in an effort to obtain as much feedback as possible to a number of important areas impacting academics on campus. Those areas include the potential establishment of a year of readiness for all sports—or select sports; student-athlete time demands; playing seasons; initial eligibility requirements; and other areas impacting academics on college campuses across the country. Knowing that matters of such impact would never be adopted unilaterally by a single conference or institution, it is important to the conference to devise a strategy and timeline that would encourage, and allow the conference to obtain, input from all.

“While we are comfortable generating multiple ideas about an ‘education first’ approach to intercollegiate athletics in the twenty-first century, we won’t go it alone on any of these matters,” said Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany. “We look forward to working with our colleagues in the NCAA Division I governance structure, and to exploring a broad exchange of ideas from both inside and outside of intercollegiate athletics.”

It is the Big Ten Conference’s hope that reaching out to others in advance of the 2016 NCAA National Convention will allow those in attendance at the convention to engage in a more meaningful discussion informed by both the student-athlete welfare issues scheduled to be addressed at the convention, and the input provided by thought leaders around the country regarding issues more directly impacting academics.

— BigTen.org
02-24-2015 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness...
(02-24-2015 02:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  "keeping education central to the mission of intercollegiate athletics"

-- The advantage of saying that in a press release is that a Big Ten official doesn't have to try to say it out loud with a straight face while cameras are rolling.

Quote:ROSEMONT, Ill. – Big Ten faculty, administrators and student-athlete representatives met this week to further discuss the importance of keeping education central to the mission of intercollegiate athletics.

The conference unanimously decided it would be important at this juncture to reach out to a diverse group of thought leaders in an effort to obtain as much feedback as possible to a number of important areas impacting academics on campus. Those areas include the potential establishment of a year of readiness for all sports—or select sports; student-athlete time demands; playing seasons; initial eligibility requirements; and other areas impacting academics on college campuses across the country. Knowing that matters of such impact would never be adopted unilaterally by a single conference or institution, it is important to the conference to devise a strategy and timeline that would encourage, and allow the conference to obtain, input from all.

“While we are comfortable generating multiple ideas about an ‘education first’ approach to intercollegiate athletics in the twenty-first century, we won’t go it alone on any of these matters,” said Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany. “We look forward to working with our colleagues in the NCAA Division I governance structure, and to exploring a broad exchange of ideas from both inside and outside of intercollegiate athletics.”

It is the Big Ten Conference’s hope that reaching out to others in advance of the 2016 NCAA National Convention will allow those in attendance at the convention to engage in a more meaningful discussion informed by both the student-athlete welfare issues scheduled to be addressed at the convention, and the input provided by thought leaders around the country regarding issues more directly impacting academics.

— BigTen.org
Na na boo boo, we can outspend you! Your move G5 (cue snickers in the background)
02-24-2015 02:46 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness"
There is no chance that this will happen. NONE.
02-24-2015 02:52 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness...
(02-24-2015 02:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  "keeping education central to the mission of intercollegiate athletics"

— BigTen.org

Mens Ball and Football, not required for volleyball or the golf team.
02-24-2015 02:52 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: Big Ten's new spin on freshman ineligibility: Calling it a "Year of Readiness"
Is this an "autonomy" thing or something everyone would have to vote on?
02-24-2015 05:48 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

Swofford today, on freshman ineligibility:

Quote:It's not a new topic. It's been talking about in our league, as well as others, periodically. I'm old enough to have played in that system, and it was a good one. I think it's very educationally sound, and I think we should think about and consider anything that's educationally sound…Whether we get back to that, I don't know. I don't know if it fits the times in today's world. We haven't taken any votes in our league in regard to it in recent years.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../23963681/
02-24-2015 08:00 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I have my doubts that increasing scholarships is the "hidden agenda" behind this move, but Minnesota's D Coordinator says that without freshman, they'll demand another 10 scholarships on the max.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/293050601.html

Quote:...

“Number two, back when there was freshman ineligibility [before 1972], they also had more scholarships. So in our opinion, you’re going to have to increase scholarships because we’re going to go to battle. We probably play 8-10 freshmen each year, so they better jump that up, increase the scholarship numbers to 95 or whatever.”
02-24-2015 08:06 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(02-24-2015 02:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Mens Ball and Football, not required for volleyball or the golf team.

If I were some basketball or football player, I'd be rather insulted by this proposal. Like they're dumber than everyone else somehow, they need the "year of readiness" but all those golf and volleyball and baseball players don't. Really???

Everything about this --- from the pontification about "education first" to the likes of Maryland's President decrying the influence of $$$ in college athletics (why'd you leave the ACC again???) --- is comical and frankly insulting.

Figures Jim Delaney's at the forefront of this. These are the types of proposals that get traction when you've been in one position for eons and have lost touch. When exactly is he leaving as B1G commissioner? 26 years and counting now. 3rd world dictators have shorter terms in office.
02-24-2015 09:51 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

— BigTen.org

are big ten leaders drunk all the time. serious question.
02-24-2015 10:25 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(02-24-2015 09:51 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 02:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Mens Ball and Football, not required for volleyball or the golf team.

If I were some basketball or football player, I'd be rather insulted by this proposal. Like they're dumber than everyone else somehow, they need the "year of readiness" but all those golf and volleyball and baseball players don't. Really???

Everything about this --- from the pontification about "education first" to the likes of Maryland's President decrying the influence of $$$ in college athletics (why'd you leave the ACC again???) --- is comical and frankly insulting.

Figures Jim Delaney's at the forefront of this. These are the types of proposals that get traction when you've been in one position for eons and have lost touch. When exactly is he leaving as B1G commissioner? 26 years and counting now. 3rd world dictators have shorter terms in office.

04-clap2
02-24-2015 11:39 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(02-24-2015 10:25 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

— BigTen.org

are big ten leaders drunk all the time. serious question.

Your comment says more about you than it does about them, serious answer.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 02:19 AM by He1nousOne.)
02-25-2015 02:19 AM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU

Yes, because he was so out of touch when he orchestrated bringing in the top two expansion options on "The List" in regards to what Penn State would have wanted.

Yep, so out of touch. 03-yawn

Penn Staters like you have to have something to ***** about when it comes to The Big Ten don't you?

If Delany is talking publically about this then he has talked about it privately with his contemporaries and received some positive responses. If anyone is out of touch in this, it is you. But hey, hold your head up high, Cincy fans think you are great! 03-lmfao

I hardly think a Penn State fan that is the sole defender of Penn State over in that JoePa thread should be here talking about how long Delany has been in his position and relating that to a third world dictator. How long was Joe Pa a head coach there? How long was Sandusky an assistant under him? The answer is 30 years for Sandusky. Shut your trap Penn Stater.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 02:37 AM by He1nousOne.)
02-25-2015 02:23 AM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(02-25-2015 02:23 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Yes, because he was so out of touch when he orchestrated bringing in the top two expansion options on "The List" in regards to what Penn State would have wanted.

Yep, so out of touch. 03-yawn

Penn Staters like you have to have something to ***** about when it comes to The Big Ten don't you?

If Delany is talking publically about this then he has talked about it privately with his contemporaries and received some positive responses. If anyone is out of touch in this, it is you. But hey, hold your head up high, Cincy fans think you are great! 03-lmfao

I hardly think a Penn State fan that is the sole defender of Penn State over in that JoePa thread should be here talking about how long Delany has been in his position and relating that to a third world dictator. How long was Joe Pa a head coach there? How long was Sandusky an assistant under him? The answer is 30 years for Sandusky. Shut your trap Penn Stater.

Good luck finding a quote about Penn State "wanting" Rutgers & Maryland.

The B1G vote to invite Rutgers & Maryland was unanimous. Every school approved them. Shoot, the Western schools were probably more in favor of it --- they need a strong Eastern half of the B1G so that schools like Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern, MSU and Penn State don't start possibly sniffing around elsewhere (perhaps the ACC). Fact is, schools like the above at least theoretically have options. Schools in the corn states like Iowa & Minnesota, the B1G IS their only option. So they better keep the eastern Big Boys as happy as possible. You may not want to admit it, but "Iowa and Minnesota's relationship to Michigan & Ohio State" isn't that dissimilar to "Iowa State's relationship to Texas"

I wanted Paterno out well before 2011. Of course, I'm not an Athletic Director or Power Player at PSU, so I had no power to exactly make that happen. Anyway, pointing to Paterno seems to be an example IN FAVOR of "people who stick around one job too long can get stale and start doing dumb stuff. For example, not going to the police re: Sandusky, or having his unproven and not-very-good-at-coaching kid on staff for many many years at the end (hmmm, see any possible analogies to other B1G schools on the latter?).

Anyway, ALL organizations can benefit from fresh leadership and a fresh perspective. After 26 years, it's time.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 09:13 AM by NittanyLion.)
02-25-2015 09:03 AM
vandiver49 Online
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

If it's not applied across the board for all sports, then the schools opens themselves up to discrimination lawsuits. Ones that could be tinged with a racial component. Ultimately, this is an open shot across the bow of the NBA to do something about the one and done rule. Whatever machinations that have happened behind the scenes, it doesn't appear as though the P5 are united in entertaining an open discussion on this issue. I don't Delany would welcome a nationally televised discussion on this subject either.
02-25-2015 09:45 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I personally think it would be good in the long run if it were adopted.

There are two sports that create a problem with student compensation.
Men's basketball and football and that problem is created by the NFL and NBA.

If you play baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, skiing, volleyball, or track and field you can go pro without the hassle of college if college ain't your thing.

The NFL and NBA won't take a player straight from high school so college is almost always the best option.

If freshmen are ineligible the NBA has choices, do nothing and let kids spend a year only practicing before becoming draft eligible, start drafting from high school, or let the marketplace create a pro alternative, encourage those kids to play juco, or push the draft year back another year and the one and done has to stay eligible for three semesters.

The NFL either pushes draft year back a year or deals with two year players declaring.

My hunch is that Big Ten has no qualms about bringing back freshmen ineligibility but would back down in a hurry if the NBA were to return to drafting high school seniors and the NFL moved draft age downward a year (opening the door to drafted out of juco).

I think the colleges should deny scouting privileges and access to game film to scouts from leagues that don't have draft from high school rules.
02-25-2015 10:03 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-25-2015 09:45 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

If it's not applied across the board for all sports, then the schools opens themselves up to discrimination lawsuits. Ones that could be tinged with a racial component. Ultimately, this is an open shot across the bow of the NBA to do something about the one and done rule. Whatever machinations that have happened behind the scenes, it doesn't appear as though the P5 are united in entertaining an open discussion on this issue. I don't Delany would welcome a nationally televised discussion on this subject either.

The stats will show there is a compelling reason for it, namely the academic success track record though they probably would need to extend it to track and field as well.
02-25-2015 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-25-2015 10:03 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I personally think it would be good in the long run if it were adopted.

If you play baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, skiing, volleyball, or track and field you can go pro without the hassle of college if college ain't your thing.

The NFL and NBA won't take a player straight from high school so college is almost always the best option.

If freshmen are ineligible the NBA has choices, do nothing and let kids spend a year only practicing before becoming draft eligible, start drafting from high school, or let the marketplace create a pro alternative, encourage those kids to play juco, or push the draft year back another year and the one and done has to stay eligible for three semesters.

The NFL either pushes draft year back a year or deals with two year players declaring.

My hunch is that Big Ten has no qualms about bringing back freshmen ineligibility but would back down in a hurry if the NBA were to return to drafting high school seniors and the NFL moved draft age downward a year (opening the door to drafted out of juco).

I think the colleges should deny scouting privileges and access to game film to scouts from leagues that don't have draft from high school rules.

This is a NBA issue not a NFL Issue...the NFL has no reason to change...Case in point is Jameis Winston...he Redshirted his Freshman year and he will be likely the 1st Selection of the NFL Draft as a RS Sophomore.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 11:06 AM by Maize.)
02-25-2015 11:05 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-25-2015 11:05 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(02-25-2015 10:03 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I personally think it would be good in the long run if it were adopted.

This is a NBA issue not a NFL Issue...the NFL has no reason to change...Case in point is Jameis Winston...he Redshirted his Freshman year and he will be likely the 1st Selection of the NFL Draft as a RS Sophomore.

It's not an NFL issue because the NFL wants rookies who are at least 21, which is why their draft eligibility age is 3 years after HS graduation. The NFL won't adopt a one-and-done rule.

To the extent the Big Ten's idea is based on pushing back against pro leagues, it's only about the NBA. (IMO it's also about pushing back against Calipari and other college basketball coaches who recruit and win with one-and-done players better than Big Ten coaches like Izzo and Ryan do.)
02-25-2015 11:17 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-25-2015 11:17 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(02-25-2015 11:05 AM)Maize Wrote:  

It's not an NFL issue because the NFL wants rookies who are at least 21, which is why their draft eligibility age is 3 years after HS graduation. The NFL won't adopt a one-and-done rule.

To the extent the Big Ten's idea is based on pushing back against pro leagues, it's only about the NBA. (IMO it's also about pushing back against Calipari and other college basketball coaches who recruit and win with one-and-done players better than Big Ten coaches like Izzo and Ryan do.)

To be fair here, it's not because Calipari (and Coach K) are recruiting players that Izzo and Ryan don't/won't. The Big Ten coaches are trying just as hard to sign those one and done players. They just aren't succeeding. And if the NBA pushed their limit back to two years instead of one, that wouldn't change a bit. Cal and K would just get to keep their stars an extra year.

You are right. This isn't about readiness and it isn't about the NFL. This is just about one and done, and if that goes out the window so does the B1G's concern about readiness.
02-25-2015 11:38 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
I think this makes sense.

From the athletes standpoint, here is what you gain:

1) A year of weight training and professional body development. This will CUT DOWN ON INJURIES

2) Acclimating to college / classes

For football, I don't see how this is a problem - very few players are ready for the NFL out of High School, and a year to get ready and a year of play for the most talented will be better for them than playing as a freshman and then being drafted.

For basketball, well, this is where Mark Cuban's proposals to make the D League a little more college-like come into play - require D League players to attend "classes'" on financial management and other life skills (media relations, etc) and receive some degree of mentorship, and if you are upset about the Freshman ban -- you can go to the D League, make some pocket change and not be lost in the wilderness. I'd rather, frankly, see an Embiid just skip college.
02-25-2015 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.