02-19-2015 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Blowing 2nd Half Leads
Preseason: picked to finish next to last

Currently: tied for 1st

Stop weeping and look at the big picture. Yeah it sucks, but hell of an improvement.
02-19-2015 09:43 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Blowing 2nd Half Leads
We're also terrific at coming from behind. So if we can just make sure to trail at the half for every game remaining, we'll have teams right where we want them!
02-19-2015 09:44 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Blowing 2nd Half Leads
tremendous turnaround no doubt, but this is one area were we seem to struggle, playing 40 consistent minutes. we seem to either dig ourselves out of a first half hole or blow a game we should win. proud of this team, but always room for improvement particularly heading into Baltimore.
02-19-2015 09:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Blowing 2nd Half Leads
(02-19-2015 09:48 PM)solohawks Wrote:  tremendous turnaround no doubt, but this is one area were we seem to struggle, playing 40 consistent minutes. we seem to either dig ourselves out of a first half hole or blow a game we should win. proud of this team, but always room for improvement particularly heading into Baltimore.

Yes, I def agree.
02-19-2015 09:49 PM
Ms. Cottonball Offline
Water Engineer

(02-19-2015 09:38 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Nov 15: Led by 4 at Half, Lost by 20 to ODU

Dec 30: Led by 4 at Half, Lost by 19 to Ohio

Jan 3: Lead by 11 at Half, Lost by 12 to Hofstra

Jan 14: Lead by 20 at Half, Lost by 4 to William and Mary

Feb 7: Lead by 3 at Half, Lost by 3 to William and Mary

Feb 19: Lead by 10 at Half, Lost by 11 to Delaware

3 double digit leads blown!!03-weeping

It's not rocket science. It's difficult to maintain the defensive pressure that Coach K employs without support coming off the bench.

Fatigue sets in, fouls go up and shooting percentage goes down.
02-19-2015 09:52 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2015 09:52 PM)Ms. Cottonball Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 09:38 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Nov 15: Led by 4 at Half, Lost by 20 to ODU

Dec 30: Led by 4 at Half, Lost by 19 to Ohio

Jan 3: Lead by 11 at Half, Lost by 12 to Hofstra

Jan 14: Lead by 20 at Half, Lost by 4 to William and Mary

Feb 7: Lead by 3 at Half, Lost by 3 to William and Mary

Feb 19: Lead by 10 at Half, Lost by 11 to Delaware

3 double digit leads blown!!03-weeping

It's not rocket science. It's difficult to maintain the defensive pressure that Coach K employs without support coming off the bench.

Fatigue sets in, fouls go up and shooting percentage goes down.

agreed. we are not a very deep team this year at all.
02-19-2015 09:55 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Blowing 2nd Half Leads
I think the main reason was early second half foul trouble. That was exactly what happened in Williamsburg. It allowed both teams to start imposing their will on us and then we were scrambling.
02-19-2015 09:57 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

yeah, when refs call the games tight and our bigs get quick ticky tack fouls, we dont handle it well
02-19-2015 10:00 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Blowing 2nd Half Leads
Keep in mind at the first media timeout in the second half they had blown us for 6 fouls, and I think only called one on Delaware at that point. A lot of our second half fouls came in that early chunk.
02-19-2015 10:02 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

We were also down at the in six games and came back to win. Three were in OT. I didn't expect us to win more than eight conference games this year. We are at eleven and counting. As far as I am concerned, life is good.
02-19-2015 10:35 PM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Yes and no 33. Love Keatts and what he has done overall! However, you have to have a Plan B. When you're getting shredded for layups and direct drives there's a problem. Anderson had a lot to do with it. One time on a break, Freddie stuck with Anderson and didn't help stop the freaking ball. Our D cost us but our O did big time. We need to work on execution. If that's crashing harder on the glass after the initial drive, dumping to a trailing big cutter (see Big Ced et al) or reversing the ball a few times with at least a mid post entry...that HAS to happen. And, we missed a ton of chip shots on the drive that killed us. You have to be able to score on the road, you have to. These guys need to look in the mirror and come out inspired from here on out. If they want post season, they have to play harder on both ends. The press wasn't executed well tonight at all. Not like most of the year.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 10:54 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
02-19-2015 10:53 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I agree, it was a terribly played game. But I am trying, at least this year, to let let it get to me as much as in the past. I still can't help but feel pleased about the season as a whole. Next year will probably be a different story. Will probably have greater expectations
02-19-2015 11:01 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I'm thinking that Big Ced needs some touches to get him going. If you can establish him early, you've got him later in the game. He's a difference maker regardless of what has happened up until now. Gotta work inside out, gotta. At this point in the season, the scouting report is out. And, it's okay if the Hawks are flying around and getting back on D. They simply weren't flying around the way it looked. The Hens have the athletes that can make you pay when you don't press your will on them. There were numerous times tonight that they were about to commit a TO, but got out of it to get a bunny. Our halfcourt D is pretty good so maybe that could be considered as well if the press isn't there. A little bit of Malik might help because he's an energy guy. The team needed energy tonight.
02-19-2015 11:13 PM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
(02-19-2015 11:13 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I'm thinking that Big Ced needs some touches to get him going. If you can establish him early, you've got him later in the game. He's a difference maker regardless of what has happened up until now. Gotta work inside out, gotta. At this point in the season, the scouting report is out. And, it's okay if the Hawks are flying around and getting back on D. They simply weren't flying around the way it looked. The Hens have the athletes that can make you pay when you don't press your will on them. There were numerous times tonight that they were about to commit a TO, but got out of it to get a bunny. Our halfcourt D is pretty good so maybe that could be considered as well if the press isn't there. A little bit of Malik might help because he's an energy guy. The team needed energy tonight.

As usual, great analysis Bill.
02-20-2015 08:39 AM
Osprey#1 Offline
Bench Warmer

Of course this was a disappointing loss, but shouldn't be too surprising to anyone. As many have noted, Delaware is coming on, the difference from CAA top to bottom is very fine, it's always tough on the road, etc. I like Bill's analysis of the second half letdown, but I think we all recognize that the range of options on this Seahawk team is limited by lack of depth and 3-pt shooting. Looks like things will be better next year, but for now, just have to love this team working as hard as it has and performing so much above preseason expectations.

Have to laugh when Delaware fans chant "overrated" at us. Weren't we both rated to finish at the bottom of the CAA this year?
02-20-2015 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2015 09:21 AM)Osprey#1 Wrote:  Of course this was a disappointing loss, but shouldn't be too surprising to anyone. As many have noted, Delaware is coming on, the difference from CAA top to bottom is very fine, it's always tough on the road, etc. I like Bill's analysis of the second half letdown, but I think we all recognize that the range of options on this Seahawk team is limited by lack of depth and 3-pt shooting. Looks like things will be better next year, but for now, just have to love this team working as hard as it has and performing so much above preseason expectations.

Have to laugh when Delaware fans chant "overrated" at us. Weren't we both rated to finish at the bottom of the CAA this year?
They do "blow" Hen's there.... they are not very smart
02-20-2015 09:53 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
The second half looked like a case of "we got this" and before you know it the lead is gone and you are done.I thought Talley stunk it up in the second half on both ends along with Spruill taking some pretty tough quick shots.Also not sure why you don't at least use Gettys for a quick foul here of there-he is 7ft tall and can at least get in the way at times.The team as a whole looked a little tired in the second half and not really engaged on either end.
02-20-2015 01:13 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2015 01:13 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  The second half looked like a case of "we got this" and before you know it the lead is gone and you are done.I thought Talley stunk it up in the second half on both ends along with Spruill taking some pretty tough quick shots.Also not sure why you don't at least use Gettys for a quick foul here of there-he is 7ft tall and can at least get in the way at times.The team as a whole looked a little tired in the second half and not really engaged on either end.

Gettys needs to develop his aggressiveness. I agree he should be able to do that, but he doesnt seem to want to get physical.
02-20-2015 02:36 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(02-19-2015 10:35 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  We were also down at the in six games and came back to win. Three were in OT. I didn't expect us to win more than eight conference games this year. We are at eleven and counting. As far as I am concerned, life is good.
You've won ten CAA games, not eleven.
02-20-2015 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.