Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jordon Talley = Rookie of the Week
Bookmark and Share
Proff Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW
Congrats!
I know I've said it elsewhere but his playing under control with 4 fouls Saturday was big.
02-16-2015 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Great! Is this the first time he's won this award? I'm hoping he'll be in ROY discussions but would likely need to have won it multiple times to be in the running.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 12:07 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-16-2015 12:07 PM
Seahawkfan716 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Jordon Talley = Rookie of the Week
(02-16-2015 12:07 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Great! Is this the first time he's won this award? I'm hoping he'll be in ROY discussions but would likely need to have won it multiple times to be in the running.

Per the basketball team twitter account this is the second time he was won the award.
02-16-2015 12:09 PM
Tommy Teke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uncw
Outstanding !!!! Really playing smart ball , also, nice to have a rookie nail free throws down the stretch !!!
02-16-2015 12:55 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
If UNCW wins the reg season title, I'd be really surprised if Talley didn't get ROY.

No way at all we have this success without him controlling the point. We've won a lot of close conference matchups and a lot of that is the reduced turnovers this year compared to past seasons. His ability to control the ball, see the floor, and get us in a position to score while staying in control and reducing our turnovers is a huge key in those wins.
02-16-2015 01:56 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(02-16-2015 01:56 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  If UNCW wins the reg season title, I'd be really surprised if Talley didn't get ROY.

No way at all we have this success without him controlling the point. We've won a lot of close conference matchups and a lot of that is the reduced turnovers this year compared to past seasons. His ability to control the ball, see the floor, and get us in a position to score while staying in control and reducing our turnovers is a huge key in those wins.

Agreed. Plus I don't think I've seen a better defensive performance this year (perhaps in the entire conference) than the job Talley did on Marcus Thornton in the 1st half of that Tribe game in Williamsburg.

Unfortunately he got into foul trouble, which was a big reason why W&M pulled off one of the 30 biggest comebacks in NCAA history to get the W.
02-16-2015 02:30 PM
Hall of Famer

If Rookie of the Week honors are any indication, it will most definitely go to Elijah Bryant or Kory Holden over Talley. Here's the ROW standings:

Elijah Bryant, Elon: 4 (also earned a CAA Player of the Week honor one of those weeks)
Kory Holden, Delaware: 3
Jordon Talley, UNCW: 2
Sammy Mojica, Drexel; Mike Morsel, Towson; Tyshawn Myles, Drexel; Hari Hall, JMU; Donovan Gillmore, Charleston: 1

Talley gets to face both Holden and Bryant down the stretch, so that'll make things real interesting.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 02:42 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-16-2015 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

In CAA-only games, Bryant is also 7th in scoring AND 7th in assists. That's a LOT of points created for a freshman. Not to mention 6th in 3-pt shooting.

Only category Talley has over Bryant, statistically, is A/TO ratio. Talley is sitting at 7th (1.6) and Bryant is 15th (1.0). Talley is also 3rd in steals (1.6).

Yeah, looking at it again, Bryant has to be the runaway favorite, no matter how much better UNCW has been than Elon.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 02:47 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-16-2015 02:46 PM
Ms. Cottonball Offline
Water Engineer

(02-16-2015 02:38 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  If Rookie of the Week honors are any indication, it will most definitely go to Elijah Bryant or Kory Holden over Talley. Here's the ROW standings

I think the difference maker lies in the unexpected success of the Hawks. Without Talley, I don't think our defensive pressure wins the close games. No doubt that other coaches and SID's have taken notice of his value on both ends of the court.

I think that when it comes down to the "vote", it will take more than good stats on a middle of the pack team to edge Talley out of ROY.
02-16-2015 02:51 PM
Advertisement

BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-16-2015 12:07 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Great! Is this the first time he's won this award? I'm hoping he'll be in ROY discussions but would likely need to have won it multiple times to be in the running.

He won it back the week he came off the bench and played outstanding vs. Louisville.
02-16-2015 03:02 PM
BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

Do you guys think our record would be improved if he had started since day one?
02-16-2015 03:03 PM
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2015 02:51 PM)Ms. Cottonball Wrote:  I think the difference maker lies in the unexpected success of the Hawks. Without Talley, I don't think our defensive pressure wins the close games. No doubt that other coaches and SID's have taken notice of his value on both ends of the court.

I think that when it comes down to the "vote", it will take more than good stats on a middle of the pack team to edge Talley out of ROY.

I don't disagree, but since this is an individual honor, and the CAA has recognized Bryant as their league's ROW 4 times (plus POW once), it would be hard to imagine Talley snatching the award away unless he wins it a 3rd time and Bryant stumbles down the stretch.
02-16-2015 03:06 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-16-2015 03:03 PM)BigDoubleU Wrote:  Do you guys think our record would be improved if he had started since day one?
'

He's gotten minutes from day one, but starting is a different animal. His progression to being a starter was fairly quick for a Freshman on a team loaded with Seniors and Juniors.

Looking back though, I believe we would have done better. He is a better ball handler, defender and distributor than Ponder, and that was pretty evident from the beginning. Ponder was never a true PG, and has always played better at the 2. Dixon ended up as PG if I recall last year.
02-16-2015 03:12 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I agree with Ms. Cotton(I need another drink) on this one. With Spruill, Jackson and Ponder on your team, Talley would not likely put up the same numbers. But, you can't discount the fact that as a Freshman, he starts at PG for one of the top teams in the conference. And if you polled coaches on which Freshman they'd rather have, i'd be surprised if Talley came in second. PG stats quite often aren't as stellar as other positions. But, nobody will deny that it is THE most important position on any team.
02-16-2015 03:17 PM
BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

I forget that Talley is a freshman because he plays so smooth and confident. He may get some fouls on his Defense but I think that just comes from the uptempo in your face D that we play.
02-16-2015 03:18 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(02-16-2015 02:51 PM)Ms. Cottonball Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 02:38 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  If Rookie of the Week honors are any indication, it will most definitely go to Elijah Bryant or Kory Holden over Talley. Here's the ROW standings

I think the difference maker lies in the unexpected success of the Hawks. Without Talley, I don't think our defensive pressure wins the close games. No doubt that other coaches and SID's have taken notice of his value on both ends of the court.

Absolutely agree with Ms. C here. Look guys, everyone picked us to finish next to last this year because we were expected to continue to turn the ball over constantly. None of those coaches knew we had a freshman that would take the keys and change the stat that was so detrimental to us in previous seasons.

For a rookie PG to be handling, controlling the offense, and playing such solid defense for a team expected to finish at the bottom but instead tied for first? It would be robbery if they gave the award to anyone else.

I'm not trying to take away the success of those other rookies around the league, but the expectations that Talley has had a major play in changing... that can't be glossed over because someone else has slightly better stats. You put Talley on the bench and I strongly believe we only have maybe 7 conference wins and look extremely average in the CAA at best.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 04:36 PM by B_Hawk06.)
02-16-2015 04:35 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(02-16-2015 04:35 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

Absolutely agree with Ms. C here. Look guys, everyone picked us to finish next to last this year because we were expected to continue to turn the ball over constantly. None of those coaches knew we had a freshman that would take the keys and change the stat that was so detrimental to us in previous seasons.

For a rookie PG to be handling, controlling the offense, and playing such solid defense for a team expected to finish at the bottom but instead tied for first? It would be robbery if they gave the award to anyone else.

I'm not trying to take away the success of those other rookies around the league, but the expectations that Talley has had a major play in changing... that can't be glossed over because someone else has slightly better stats. You put Talley on the bench and I strongly believe we only have maybe 7 conference wins and look extremely average in the CAA at best.

Totally agree.
02-16-2015 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk4Him Offline
Water Engineer

(02-16-2015 04:35 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

As much as I like Talley, he makes a better argument for UNCW POY and at that comes up a little short. He has been so valuable to our success but unfortunately it always comes down to individual stats and scoring plays a big role in that. He definitely has been our most consistent player and I give him all due credit for that.

If it were up to me voting, he would get the honor but I don't get a vote, I just get to have an opinion.
02-16-2015 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Agreed. Talley should get the award but I'll be very surprised if they don't give it to Bryant or Holden.
02-16-2015 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.