Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kimble listed as a top 5 assistant
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
http://nextuprecruits.com/2015/01/29/top...-rankings/

I would have thought Jonathan Holmes would have been more highly regarded. Either way, good work by the assistants. I hope we can keep them all in the fold.
02-08-2015 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Kimble listed as a top 5 assistant
I hope we're grooming one to take over for Shaver. He won't be here forever. He's either going to attain some good stuff and ride it out or attain some good stuff and take a huge payday. Look at Jim Laranaga.
02-08-2015 01:42 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
I have to think that before long we'll lose at least one more assistant. If we make the NCAAs this year, it could be sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, this is the nature of being a mid-major.
02-08-2015 01:47 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

And a mid-major that significantly underpays its assistants, to boot.
02-08-2015 02:50 PM
TribeTrack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
(02-08-2015 01:37 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  http://nextuprecruits.com/2015/01/29/top...-rankings/

I would have thought Jonathan Holmes would have been more highly regarded. Either way, good work by the assistants. I hope we can keep them all in the fold.

Isn't Holmes the associate head coach now? May have been why he was excluded.
02-08-2015 03:01 PM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I'd like to point out that it's only top 5 in the CAA. So it's not like we're in immediate danger of losing him.
02-08-2015 03:08 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
The next assistant brought in should be a big man who can develop big men. This is a no brainer.
02-08-2015 08:13 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I think Shaver's staff for his first year at W&M included Joe Wolf (6'10'' from UNC). Not sure how long he stayed or how that worked out.
02-08-2015 08:55 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(02-08-2015 01:37 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  http://nextuprecruits.com/2015/01/29/top...-rankings/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coach Holmes is the Associate Hear Coach and is paid more than the Assistant Coaches. Other than Tony, he is the only member of the coaching staff who has actually played college basketball.
02-08-2015 10:32 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Re: RE: Kimble listed as a top 5 assistant
(02-08-2015 08:55 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I think Shaver's staff for his first year at W&M included Joe Wolf (6'10'' from UNC). Not sure how long he stayed or how that worked out.

He stayed just a year. He was great for us, but the level of talent back then wasn't quite what it is now. He moved on to (I think) a head coaching job in the WNBA or NBADL/CBA.
02-08-2015 10:50 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Joe Wolf is an assitant for Brooklyn Nets under Lionel Hollins. So it seems like he moved up the coaching ladder well.
02-08-2015 11:30 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

While I have been in favor of hiring a big man assistant coach..and still am...I have to say they've done a very good job developing (and getting the most from) Sean Sheldon. Sean has come a long way and I believe the best is yet to come. They also did a decent job with Kitts
who started out as a klutz and ended up a force on a very good Tribe team his senior year (and Tony even tried to have Kitts shoot fouls underhanded but nobody could get him to do it!).

What W&M faces may not be the lack of a big man coaching assistant, but the simple fact we
don't get the developed big man right out of high school. We don't get the agile 6-10, 265 pounder as freshmen..it's a small pool, many have poor marks, and they end up at major conferences ou at academically-challenged mid-major programs who will let anyone into school.

Our big guys are always 6-9 or 6-120, 205 pound stringbeans.
02-09-2015 07:38 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(02-08-2015 10:50 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:55 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I think Shaver's staff for his first year at W&M included Joe Wolf (6'10'' from UNC). Not sure how long he stayed or how that worked out.

He stayed just a year. He was great for us, but the level of talent back then wasn't quite what it is now. He moved on to (I think) a head coaching job in the WNBA or NBADL/CBA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Wolf is part of that "UNC Family" and I think his stay at W&M was a "temporary assignment" to help out another member of the Family in his first year coaching at a Div I school.
02-09-2015 01:42 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(02-09-2015 07:38 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  While I have been in favor of hiring a big man assistant coach..and still am...I have to say they've done a very good job developing (and getting the most from) Sean Sheldon. Sean has come a long way and I believe the best is yet to come. They also did a decent job with Kitts
who started out as a klutz and ended up a force on a very good Tribe team his senior year (and Tony even tried to have Kitts shoot fouls underhanded but nobody could get him to do it!).

What W&M faces may not be the lack of a big man coaching assistant, but the simple fact we don't get the developed big man right out of high school. We don't get the agile 6-10, 265 pounder as freshmen..it's a small pool, many have poor marks, and they end up at major conferences ou at academically-challenged mid-major programs who will let anyone into school.

Our big guys are always 6-9 or 6-120, 205 pound stringbeans.

You're underestimating Kitts. He came in as the most polished offensive big man we've had in Shaver's tenure. He sat behind defensive star Pete Stein who regularly struggled at the offensive end. I'm pretty sure I had a strong opinion on that back then. Kitts did improve while he was here, but always could score in the post.

While I also think we have done well with Sean, he was pretty solid when he got here. It's indicative of our improved recruiting that we're getting guys that can play right away. I think Whitman will be pretty good going forward as well. I'm hoping that we have enough depth to redshirt a big man every couple of classes.
02-09-2015 02:48 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2015 02:48 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  You're underestimating Kitts. He came in as the most polished offensive big man we've had in Shaver's tenure. He sat behind defensive star Pete Stein who regularly struggled at the offensive end. I'm pretty sure I had a strong opinion on that back then. Kitts did improve while he was here, but always could score in the post.

While I also think we have done well with Sean, he was pretty solid when he got here. It's indicative of our improved recruiting that we're getting guys that can play right away. I think Whitman will be pretty good going forward as well. I'm hoping that we have enough depth to redshirt a big man every couple of classes.

That was not my impression at all of Kitts. I always thought of him a plus defender but a liability on the offensive end. In my opinion Rusthoven was a much, much better scorer but Kitts was a better rebounder and defender.
02-09-2015 03:32 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

This Kimble thread has unraveled a bit. I thought I'd add my 2 cents on Whitman. I really like his skillset and athleticism. My only concern is that lack of fire or "mean streak". Whether he truly is or not, he always looks to me like he is playing on cruise control. Perhaps that will change with an expanded role & more confidence.
02-09-2015 03:42 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

I think Rusthoven had a better shot, but Kitts had a good size to muscle around the rim.
02-09-2015 03:42 PM
Advertisement

62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2015 03:42 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  I think Rusthoven had a better shot, but Kitts had a good size to muscle around the rim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kitts had one shot: a two handed dunk, but he never missed that, on the foul line however...............
02-09-2015 05:33 PM
WM_Destro Online
Special Teams

I actually think Kitts regressed a little bit his Senior year. His junior year was on the great team that made the NIT. I remember him being a dunking machine, not matter the opponent. He had several highlight dunks from the low post against MD, UNC, etc.

His senior year the team struggled, and so did he, imo. While his scoring avg ticked up a notch, he didn't fill the highlight reels nearly as much. Perhaps the losses of Schneider and Sumner made teams key more on Kitts down low his Senior year....
02-09-2015 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.