Discuss.
02-05-2015 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
CAA POY Watch
If you just look at numbers, I think it would be hard to not put Lee at the top statistically. However, I think voters look at more than that. I think the fact that Marcus is doing this on a (currently) first place team leading his team makes it more meaningful than Lee doing it on a middle of the pack team.

I also think that it becomes obvious what has been said by Tony many times - if he wanted to hit 30 in almost any game he could, but instead he chooses to work to win games. I'm not saying Lee is selfish, I'm just saying Marcus is a leader that chooses to improve his team rather than put up the stats he could.

Lee is a very good player. Clear favorite to be pre-season POY for his senior year next year, but I don't see how you vote against Marcus this year.
02-05-2015 10:41 AM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: CAA POY Watch
IMO,Terry Tarpey should be the frontrunner for the CAA POY at this point. No player is more well-rounded and few mean more to his team's success. And, I actually like Green over Lee.
02-05-2015 10:45 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

If Marcus doesn't win Player of the Year I'm going to be very upset.
02-05-2015 10:50 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

CAA POY Watch
(02-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tribal Wrote:  IMO,Terry Tarpey should be the frontrunner for the CAA POY at this point. No player is more well-rounded and few mean more to his team's success. And, I actually like Green over Lee.

I understand why you say this. In some ways I agree with this idea that TT is the "MVP" of the Tribe. However, I think it takes for granted what MT does for us. The team as it is constituted right now I think would be worse off without MT than without TT. TT is our Pippen in reality I think. I'm not trying to diminish Terry's contributions, but I think this is a growing sentiment that comes from us being so used to what Marcus does for us.

All of that Tribe view out of the way, if we're talking about what WILL happen there is just no way that voters put Terry in serious consideration. I think from a realistic voting situation it's a two-horse race. I'd be fairly surprised if anyone else gets POY votes.
02-05-2015 10:59 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

There should be a stat for "Cool and superhuman stuff per game" and Marcus would be in double figures most nights.
02-05-2015 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Re: RE: CAA POY Watch
(02-05-2015 10:59 AM)wml33t Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tribal Wrote:  IMO,Terry Tarpey should be the frontrunner for the CAA POY at this point. No player is more well-rounded and few mean more to his team's success. And, I actually like Green over Lee.

I understand why you say this. In some ways I agree with this idea that TT is the "MVP" of the Tribe. However, I think it takes for granted what MT does for us. The team as it is constituted right now I think would be worse off without MT than without TT. TT is our Pippen in reality I think. I'm not trying to diminish Terry's contributions, but I think this is a growing sentiment that comes from us being so used to what Marcus does for us.

All of that Tribe view out of the way, if we're talking about what WILL happen there is just no way that voters put Terry in serious consideration. I think from a realistic voting situation it's a two-horse race. I'd be fairly surprised if anyone else gets POY votes.

That may be the post of the year. But, since I'm on you team, you have no shot. LOL

No, really, great post, Scottie.
02-05-2015 11:55 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
I love what Tarpey has done this year as well. However, he likely won't even make 1st team All-CAA. It is between Marcus and Lee at this point. Much depends on how the team finishes I think. For example, Spruill will get consideration if UNCW wins the regular season as would Eatherton. I do worry that the Tribe having 3 players(MT, Tarpey and Omar) could hurt any of their chances to win. Marcus still is the favorite at this point.
02-05-2015 12:10 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M

You really like Green over Lee? I personally think Green has underperformed considering his talent. He is shooting 36% from the field and 28% from 3. Those are not good shooting percentages for the average guard, even more so for a CAA POY candidate. I actually think Tanksley has been more valuable to their team (at least up to this point in the season).

If I am judging my POY candidate based solely on conference stats (as opposed to the entire season), I would have it:
1) Tarpey
2) Lee
3) Thornton
4) Sprull

And I don't think there is anyone else close to those 4 as CAA POY candidates
02-05-2015 12:22 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(02-05-2015 11:55 AM)Tribal Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 10:59 AM)wml33t Wrote:  

That may be the post of the year. But, since I'm on you team, you have no shot. LOL

No, really, great post, Scottie.

I second that. Great post.
02-05-2015 12:30 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I don't get this. I love Terry as much as the next guy but do any of you really think he has a shot at player of the year? In my mind there is absolutely no way he wins the award. He's not even the best player on his own team let alone in the league. I'd be surprised if he finishes top 5 in the voting. On other threads we're discussing if Marcus is the best player in Tribe history but now he's not even the best player this year?
02-05-2015 12:54 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: CAA POY Watch
(02-05-2015 12:54 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  On other threads we're discussing if Marcus is the best player in Tribe history but now he's not even the best player this year?

This... We are debating Marcus as the greatest player in Tribe history, yet giving the POY to his Jr. teammate? Not going to happen. The POY is a very political award. Marcus is the leagues preseason poster child and has had arguably his best season in the green & gold. There is only one player who I think he is in competition with- fellow senior Green from Hofstra. Lee will be next season's preseason POY and Tarpey will be 1st team.
02-05-2015 01:08 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Marcus is the MVP and one major reason, perhaps not mentioned yet but as important as any,
is that the attention paid to Marcus game after game has enabled the Tribe to ascend to a
higher level of team play.

By dint of the fact that Marcus IS Marcus and teams are shuffling two players at him many times has opened the court for other W&M players to open jump shots and easy "back door"
and other layups.

No other player in the league, Lee or anyone else, gets the attention Thornton does and
enables his team to score easy buckets.

The fact is that Marcus is the ONLY player in the CAA who makes his teammates better
game after game.

Add this to the fact that Marcus handles the ball 75% of the time, still averages over 19 a game despite all the attention, and consistently makes plays that nobody else can even imagine and you have the MVP. His body of work is matchless.

It would be a joke if anyone else receives it.

One other point on the Tarpey All-CAA question...he is, without a doubt, first team CAA.
02-05-2015 01:40 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

(02-05-2015 01:40 PM)BigTribe Wrote:  One other point on the Tarpey All-CAA question...he is, without a doubt, first team CAA.

This, I think, could be a whole thread of its own.

My biased opinion says Terry has had 1st team all-CAA performance this year.

If I sit and look at the numbers, it gets harder. Conference specific certainly favors him. But can we really say Terry has been better than the best player on 9 of the teams in the conference? I don't know. People have tossed around 5 names that are not Terry in this thread as possible POY - Thornton, Lee, Spruill, Green, and Eatherton.

I'd love to see him 1st team, but I'm not sure politics will allow it to happen. Pretty rare to have two players on the same team on 1st team (I say this without actually looking that up).

He'll be a shoe-in for 1st team pre-season next year, and I see no way he gets left off of 2nd team this year, but I think 1st team this year will be tough.
02-05-2015 02:08 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

(02-05-2015 12:54 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  I don't get this. I love Terry as much as the next guy but do any of you really think he has a shot at player of the year? In my mind there is absolutely no way he wins the award. He's not even the best player on his own team let alone in the league. I'd be surprised if he finishes top 5 in the voting. On other threads we're discussing if Marcus is the best player in Tribe history but now he's not even the best player this year?

Tarpey's conference stats:

11th in scoring
1st in rebounds
3rd in FG%
4th in assists
3rd in FT%
1st in steals
5th in blocked shots
2nd in assist/TO raio

You will not find anyone else in the CAA that is in the top 5 in that many categories.

The fact that points are usually the most weighted stat in determining POY + Thornton being preseason pick for POY will probably get him the nod, unless Lee continues to drop 25 per game and manages to get Drexel to a solid record (like 11-7 in conference).
02-05-2015 03:49 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(02-05-2015 03:49 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  Tarpey's conference stats:

1st in rebounds
5th in blocked shots

These two are particularly crazy considering he's 6-5.

It's very strange to me how the big men in this league aren't really getting a lot of rebounds. The top 2 rebounders in CAA games are Tarpey and Addison Spruill, both guards under 6-6.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 04:07 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-05-2015 04:07 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I stand down...MT is clearly POY and TT is All-CAA. I didn't intend to state TT should win it over MT.
02-05-2015 04:38 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

(02-05-2015 04:07 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 03:49 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  Tarpey's conference stats:

1st in rebounds
5th in blocked shots

These two are particularly crazy considering he's 6-5.

It's very strange to me how the big men in this league aren't really getting a lot of rebounds. The top 2 rebounders in CAA games are Tarpey and Addison Spruill, both guards under 6-6.

Yeah, it seems like the defensive rebounds seek Tarpey out... It also helps that the Tribe bigs aren't particularly good rebounders.

This is probably one of the worst seasons in terms of talent/stats for big men in the CAA. Eatherton is the only great big man in the league and he has been surprisingly quiet on the glass this year (compared to last year). I also think the team defenses in the CAA are at an all time worst - teams are shooting the ball at high percentages and reducing the number of chances for offensive or defensive boards.
02-05-2015 05:10 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Also, a lot of teams are only playing one big man, so their 4 man is a big guard who is also hitting the boards. They are likely being guarded by another big guard, so grabbing boards isn't happening against big forwards.
02-05-2015 05:42 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(02-05-2015 04:38 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I stand down...MT is clearly POY and TT is All-CAA. I didn't intend to state TT should win it over MT.

One thing we all can agree on is that either Marcus or Terry would gladly trade any personal award for that first CAA Championship trophy in Baltimore. I hope that in about 5 weeks, we are speculating over which one should have been tournament MVP.

For so many years, we have had no first team CAA candidates, now we have 3 legitimate ones this year. Hoping Tribal is again Nostradamus tonight as he was on Saturday.
02-05-2015 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.