UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Missouri Valley Conference: Back to the roots of Coach Bartow
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Missouri Valley Conference: Back to the roots of Coach Bartow
The Valley. Basketball tournament in St. Louis. Suppose best possible option. Growing on me. If possible.
01-24-2015 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Missouri Valley Conference: Back to the roots of Coach Bartow
Someone with greater basketball knowledge could list the "basketball as a main sport conferences" UAB might join IF C-USA ejects us. Perhaps a poll on fan preference should that becomes a reality.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 01:06 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-24-2015 01:05 PM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

Is The Valley better than C-USA in basketball? See the MVC sponsors football. At the FCS level?
01-24-2015 01:40 PM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

If Coach Bartow was still with us he could likely pull off The Valley membership in a second. Who knows with mr. watts et al. Pitiful delusion by a supposed lover of UAB. mr. watts, the love is not reciprocal. So you know.
01-24-2015 02:17 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Since we are accepting a step down, what about the OVC. At least it has football and we can have a rivalry with JSU.
01-24-2015 02:39 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(01-24-2015 02:39 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Since we are accepting a step down, what about the OVC. At least it has football and we can have a rivalry with JSU.

We'd have a chance to add to Watson Brown's career loss total too.
01-24-2015 02:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
For Basketball only would be a huge step up - not down,

Its RPI is 10th vs CUSA 17th.

Best option if the A=10 does not want us.
01-24-2015 05:00 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(01-24-2015 05:00 PM)uabbean Wrote:  For Basketball only would be a huge step up - not down,

Its RPI is 10th vs CUSA 17th.

Best option if the A=10 does not want us.

Exactly, for BBall only.
01-24-2015 05:47 PM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

The Missouri Valley has worked really well for Wichita State and in looking at a map their travel is not that much different in the MVC than UAB's would be. A big plus for The Valley is the basketball tournament is in St. Louis on a neutral floor every year.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 09:47 AM by Island Blazer.)
01-25-2015 08:34 AM
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

Listing of The Valley members:

Bradley-Peoria IL
Drake-Des Moines IA
Evansville-Evansville IN
Illinois State-Normal IL
Indiana State-Terre Haute IN
Loyola-Chicago IL
Missouri State-Springfield MO
Northern Iowa-Cedar Falls IA
Southern Illinois-Carbondale IL
Wichita State-Wichita KS

Travel does not look that much different than the Great Midwest days.
01-25-2015 09:35 AM
notnow Offline
1st String

Those schools usually have great attendance for basketball.
01-25-2015 09:56 AM
Advertisement

GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Considering the turmoil we're in... I just don't see it happening.
01-25-2015 11:34 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(01-25-2015 09:35 AM)Island Blazer Wrote:  Listing of The Valley members:

Bradley-Peoria IL
Drake-Des Moines IA
Evansville-Evansville IN
Illinois State-Normal IL
Indiana State-Terre Haute IN
Loyola-Chicago IL
Missouri State-Springfield MO
Northern Iowa-Cedar Falls IA
Southern Illinois-Carbondale IL
Wichita State-Wichita KS

Travel does not look that much different than the Great Midwest days.

would make for 2 very easy games for me to watch
01-25-2015 11:37 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Possible. Also note that the Missouri Valley's football conference is NOT the same conference as its' basketball conference. They have the same name, but they aren't the same conference. They have 10 members.

So there are two conferences, one is the Missouri Valley Conference which sponsors just about everything but football, and then there's the Missouri Valley Football Conference, which is a stand alone FCS conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 10:32 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2015 10:31 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(01-25-2015 10:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Possible. Also note that the Missouri Valley's football conference is NOT the same conference as its' basketball conference. They have the same name, but they aren't the same conference. They have 10 members.

So there are two conferences, one is the Missouri Valley Conference which sponsors just about everything but football, and then there's the Missouri Valley Football Conference, which is a stand alone FCS conference.

That suggests that joining for other sports might, after some time, allow for a ready place to play when football might be reactivated. BTW, How many of those schools play hockey at some level?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 10:45 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-25-2015 10:43 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Can we concentrate on football, bowling, and rifle before we add hockey. If the MVFC has 10 teams already why would they want to add an 11th team?
01-25-2015 10:50 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2015 10:43 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 10:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Possible. Also note that the Missouri Valley's football conference is NOT the same conference as its' basketball conference. They have the same name, but they aren't the same conference. They have 10 members.

That suggests that joining for other sports might, after some time, allow for a ready place to play when football might be reactivated. BTW, How many of those schools play hockey at some level?

Zero teams playing in the Missouri Valley Conference sponsor men's ice hockey at any level.

Actually, if UAB has to leave CUSA over its disbandment of football, and they'd like to bring FBS football back at some point, there is one obvious choice for conference affiliation......the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt provides something that no other conference does...the ability to play sports in a FBS sponsoring conference without playing football.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 11:00 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2015 10:58 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(01-25-2015 10:58 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Zero teams playing in the Missouri Valley Conference sponsor men's ice hockey at any level.

Actually, if UAB has to leave CUSA over its disbandment of football, and they'd like to bring FBS football back at some point, there is one obvious choice for conference affiliation......the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt provides something that no other conference does...the ability to play sports in a FBS sponsoring conference without playing football.

The best case scenario if we have to leave C-USA is we go to the Sunbelt and in the next round of realignment we wind back in C-USA with a new and helpful president and BOT. Hopefully we can pull a TCU and bounce around and up if it all comes down to leaving C-USA.
01-25-2015 11:06 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(01-25-2015 10:50 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Can we concentrate on football, bowling, and rifle before we add hockey. If the MVFC has 10 teams already why would they want to add an 11th team?

As TOM told us, there are two separate leagues but with - I suppose - some common members.

I think we need to keep all possibilities "on the table" until we are forced to do something else. UAB is possibly about to go through a very hard "divorce" and must decide who will get "the children".

If UAB had total control of its situation, we could be very doctrinaire. As it is, we must wait for someone else (like with a judge) to tell us what our choices will be. First C-USA will tell us their decision, then UAB will have to decide where it will attempt to go from there.
01-25-2015 11:12 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2015 11:06 PM)rook360 Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 10:58 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

The best case scenario if we have to leave C-USA is we go to the Sunbelt and in the next round of realignment we wind back in C-USA with a new and helpful president and BOT. Hopefully we can pull a TCU and bounce around and up if it all comes down to leaving C-USA.

If you guys have to leave CUSA, the last conference the "kill UAB FBS football forever" crowd wants UAB to join is the Sun Belt. Because in any other conference, UAB would have to figure out how to gain admission to a FBS conference. There's no guarantee that even the Sun Belt would have a spot for a non-member UAB in 5 years. Everyone could be full. Remember that the NCAA basically penalizes conferences for having more than 12 teams. There's no guarantee that CUSA would want you guys back or have a space for you guys.

Only in the Sun Belt, can you have an easy path back to FBS. Remember that the full members have much more pull on decisions than the football only members. That means that UALR and UTA have much more power in the Belt than Idaho or NMSU.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 11:30 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2015 11:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.