Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

William & Mary - Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Two 3-1 teams go at it in a crucial CAA contest up in Williamsburg.

The Tribe dominated in their first two CAA games, outscoring Charleston and Drexel by a combined 148-92. Their more recent games were much closer, falling in an upset to Elon and squeaking by JMU by 8. So who knows which version of the Tribe we'll see on Wednesday night.

W&M is led by Senior Marcus Thornton (19.6 ppg, .466 3-pt %) and Junior Terry Tarpey (9.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 3.5 apg). Tarpey recorded W&M's first ever triple double in school history against JMU.

The Tribe's perimeter shooting as a team has been extremely effective. Along with Thornton, four other Tribe players have knocked down 9 or more 3's this season, leading to a team 3-pt shooting clip of a ridiculous .393. Opponents are only hitting 3's at a .326 rate.

Turnovers, however, have given W&M trouble, averaging over 13 per game. This could be the area of weakness Keatts will likely look to exploit. W&M likes to keep games low-scoring, so we will likely need to make this a high-scoring affair without surrendering 3 after 3.
01-13-2015 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
RE: William & Mary - Game Thread
I think if we can keep our high speed game going it will be a lot closer than WM wants it to be. The more we run them the less legs they'll have for those triples. A good highlight is the turnovers. Our strong, athletic defense has done a good job so far this year forcing turnovers with their quickness.
01-13-2015 06:03 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

We may see a lot of zone. Hope we are prepared for that.
01-13-2015 06:30 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

We are 11.5 dogs against bill & the virgin.
01-13-2015 07:33 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-13-2015 07:33 PM)Proff Wrote:  We are 11.5 dogs against bill & the virgin.

I'd look for that line to come down a little before tip off, but not by much. Maybe to 8-8.5.
01-13-2015 08:24 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

It was 10 and moved up.
01-13-2015 09:10 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-13-2015 09:10 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  It was 10 and moved up.

Odd. I mean, I guess it is played in Williamsburg so there's that. I feel like a lot of these spreads are based on last years version of UNCW and not what we've been producing over the last few games.
01-13-2015 09:19 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2015 09:19 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

Odd. I mean, I guess it is played in Williamsburg so there's that. I feel like a lot of these spreads are based on last years version of UNCW and not what we've been producing over the last few games.

we are inconsistent and this is a road game. we should cover this spread and make it a competitive game but we could get blown out like we did against ohio. depends on which team shows up.
01-13-2015 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer

We need Dylan to have a big game to break their zone. Freddie is prone to jacking up 3's on occasion when he shouldn't so hopefully he focuses more on driving.
01-13-2015 10:05 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University

The Mullet must have placed his bet.....
01-14-2015 05:51 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I don't see that WM has any really good wins.

They've beat up on a weak CoC, but lost to Elon and High Point.

Their best win appears to be against Wofford.

Thornton, Marcus 6'4", 190lb. Sr. G 19.8ppg
04 Prewitt, Omar 6'6" 190lb So. G/F 10.9ppg
00 Dixon, Daniel 6'5" 210 So. G 10.7ppg
25 Tarpey, Terry 6'5" 210lb. So. G/F 9.8ppg
31 Sheldon, Sean 6'9" 256lb Jr. F 7.3ppg

They average 13 TO's per game, and give up 8 steals per game. Their primary weapon is the 3 pointer, making an average of 9 per game on .393 shooting. Also average 14.6 assists.

They don't appear to have much beyond their starters, with their best bench player averaging 4.5 ppg.

We have trouble with talented scoring guards, so I expect Thornton to torch us. But nobody else on the roster scares me. With such a weak bench, Keatts should give Dylan and Pugh more PT, and really ratchet up the press against a turnover prone W&M squad.

Freddie and Spruill top 18 each. Dylan comes alive with 13 off the bench. I don't think they have enough size to stop our penetration even if they go zone. Chuck, CJ and Ced have a swat party and dominate the boards.

Starting 3 Sophmores, the pressure is too much and they cave in the old country, for their first home loss of the year.

UNCW 78 BM 69
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 07:58 AM by 82hawk.)
01-14-2015 07:55 AM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
I would be a little nervous predicting victory on the road.I do think it will be close but winning on the road is never easy even in the CAA.
01-14-2015 09:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Wofford is the only top 50 RPI win for the CAA this year. I'd call that a quality win. Right now if I were a betting man I'd say W&M is my pick to win the regular season crown. They're well-coached and definitely not a 1-player team either. Tarpey is very scary.

This will be a highly difficult game on the road.
01-14-2015 09:22 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Love your enthusiasm '82, but Vegas strongly disagrees. "Playoffs, playoffs, don't talk about playoffs, I just want to win a game".
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 09:55 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
01-14-2015 09:54 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I have a good feeling about this team right now. We're back to driving to the bucket instead of settling for 3's and jumpers. Dylan is working his way back on to the court after some ankle issues. W&M likes to score at a high pace, but they rely on the 3. If they aren't hitting, we should have the opportunity for some long rebounds and outlets on the break. Then, they won't have enough size to stop Freddie and Spruill on the break. If they slow it down, I think Dylan and Ponder will make them pay, and CJ will hurt them in the post.

Neither team is a dynamo on defense, so I picture this being a high scoring game. That's our pace and to our advantage.
01-14-2015 10:36 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 10:36 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I have a good feeling about this team right now. We're back to driving to the bucket instead of settling for 3's and jumpers. Dylan is working his way back on to the court after some ankle issues. W&M likes to score at a high pace, but they rely on the 3. If they aren't hitting, we should have the opportunity for some long rebounds and outlets on the break. Then, they won't have enough size to stop Freddie and Spruill on the break. If they slow it down, I think Dylan and Ponder will make them pay, and CJ will hurt them in the post.

Neither team is a dynamo on defense, so I picture this being a high scoring game. That's our pace and to our advantage.
I know a win is a win, but we barely beat two horrid teams at home. Much room for improvement. This is a tough tough game.
01-14-2015 11:12 AM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

I agree Hoops. This is going to be a tough one. Final score could be most anything.
We are now 11 point dogs.
01-14-2015 01:13 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
Some good posts and discussion in this thread. I would offer a few points/counters regarding this year's WM squad.

We are an improved defensive squad from last year. We have a lot of length and overall athleticism. Zone defense has been particularly effective. We held both Drexel and CoC to under 50 points.

We have struggled to find consistent play and scoring from the bench.

We look to run and score in transition more than in the past. Offense will look to shoot in the first 10 or final 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Terry Tarpey has been sensational in league play and was named POTW for last week. In addition to WMs first ever triple double against JMU, he's averaging a double double in league play, leads the CAA in rebounding at 6'5" and generally plays like a man possessed.

Marcus has been amazing in recent weeks as well. Taken his game to yet another level on offense. Tribe fans are savoring his final season and beginning to miss him already.

Weaknesses are post depth and traditional post scoring, offensive rebounding, and finishing off close games (see record in close games thus far). Turnovers have been an issue in certain games, but not every game. Teams that have tried pressing us have had mixed results.
01-14-2015 01:46 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 10:36 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I have a good feeling about this team right now.

Don't say that. Unfortunately, sometimes that's when we have played at our worst this season, haha. I do think we can come to expect a strong effort and close game tonight. We already proved we can win a tough road game so we certainly have the ability to pull it off again.
01-14-2015 03:48 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 01:46 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  Some good posts and discussion in this thread. I would offer a few points/counters regarding this year's WM squad.

We are an improved defensive squad from last year. We have a lot of length and overall athleticism. Zone defense has been particularly effective. We held both Drexel and CoC to under 50 points.

We have struggled to find consistent play and scoring from the bench.

We look to run and score in transition more than in the past. Offense will look to shoot in the first 10 or final 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Terry Tarpey has been sensational in league play and was named POTW for last week. In addition to WMs first ever triple double against JMU, he's averaging a double double in league play, leads the CAA in rebounding at 6'5" and generally plays like a man possessed.

Marcus has been amazing in recent weeks as well. Taken his game to yet another level on offense. Tribe fans are savoring his final season and beginning to miss him already.

Weaknesses are post depth and traditional post scoring, offensive rebounding, and finishing off close games (see record in close games thus far). Turnovers have been an issue in certain games, but not every game. Teams that have tried pressing us have had mixed results.

Nice information, thanks! Should be a fun contest with both teams pushing the tempo.
01-14-2015 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.