Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN VS Louisiana?
Bookmark and Share
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
ESPN VS Louisiana?
I was just curious as to why ESPN still continues list the Cajuns as "UL Lafayette" when your school has made it clear they prefer to be listed and referred to as "Louisiana" in sports.

Does ESPN have a specific reason to deny that reasonable request? Is the new Commish addressing the issue? Or has UL simply given up on trying to get the four-letter network to respect their wishes?

Again -- just curious... I remember a couple of years ago this was a huge issue with you guys and our former Commish apparently didn't do a damn thing to help you with your cause if I recall correctly.
12-23-2014 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Louisiana99 Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: ESPN VS Louisiana?
Hopefully they keep putting the wrong name, logo and find themselves in a legal battle for purposely trying to deface a legally protected brand.
12-23-2014 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-23-2014 05:05 PM)airtroop Wrote:  I was just curious as to why ESPN still continues list the Cajuns as "UL Lafayette" when your school has made it clear they prefer to be listed and referred to as "Louisiana" in sports.

Does ESPN have a specific reason to deny that reasonable request? Is the new Commish addressing the issue? Or has UL simply given up on trying to get the four-letter network to respect their wishes?

Again -- just curious... I remember a couple of years ago this was a huge issue with you guys and our former Commish apparently didn't do a damn thing to help you with your cause if I recall correctly.

Again, Benson cant fight the issue because not all SBC schools agree on the Louisiana Branding. Heck, technically the Sun Belt doesn't follow that Branding.

Cajuns have to fight this one on their own.
12-23-2014 05:18 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 05:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 05:05 PM)airtroop Wrote:  I was just curious as to why ESPN still continues list the Cajuns as "UL Lafayette" when your school has made it clear they prefer to be listed and referred to as "Louisiana" in sports.

Again, Benson cant fight the issue because not all SBC schools agree on the Louisiana Branding. Heck, technically the Sun Belt doesn't follow that Branding.

Cajuns have to fight this one on their own.
The conference calls is several illegal names, Louisiana is not on the illegal list. It's very ironic that espn didn't have a problem calling the University of Nevada @ Reno just Nevada but can't call us by our preferred, legal athletic nickname.
12-23-2014 05:22 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
It is my understanding is that the conference controls what we are called. Since ULM is in our conference that conference makes us abbreviate UL-Lafayette. UL does not want ULL to ever be used. Now we get funky abbreviations UL-Laf, UL-Laffy etc.. There was a press release saying that UL-L was acceptable.

Now ESPN likes using the Lafayette Leopards logo, or they used the chili pepper next to the name to mess with us. Unless the people at ESPN are retarded, and are really that ignorant when it comes to knowing each teams logo's when it comes to college sports.

I say we need to figure out how to abbreviate our name without using the letter (U). People have proposed just LA or Lou. can't use Louis that looks to much like Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 05:25 PM by Bigtom12.)
12-23-2014 05:23 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

ULA... You know University of LAfayette... Can't tell mi it isn't. Before any moron tries to tell me it's illegal, if it was illegal we wouldn't have it across our chest, in our endzone, on our new baseball scoreboard. It's really a just another example of society in general, much easier to try to keep those around you down instead of improving yourself.
12-23-2014 05:27 PM
Advertisement

Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
(12-23-2014 05:27 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  ULA... You know University of LAfayette... Can't tell mi it isn't. Before any moron tries to tell me it's illegal, if it was illegal we wouldn't have it across our chest, in our endzone, on our new baseball scoreboard. It's really a just another example of society in general, much easier to try to keep those around you down instead of improving yourself.

I agree with ULA. UVA, UGA etc. to bad state law requires the city tag to be abbreviated if the U is used.
12-23-2014 05:31 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 05:31 PM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 05:27 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  ULA... You know University of LAfayette... Can't tell mi it isn't. Before any moron tries to tell me it's illegal, if it was illegal we wouldn't have it across our chest, in our endzone, on our new baseball scoreboard. It's really a just another example of society in general, much easier to try to keep those around you down instead of improving yourself.

I agree with ULA. UVA, UGA etc. to bad state law requires the city tag to be abbreviated if the U is used.

The LA is for LAfayette... That's what they want in Baton Rouge isn't it?
12-23-2014 05:33 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(12-23-2014 05:12 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  Hopefully they keep putting the wrong name, logo and find themselves in a legal battle for purposely trying to deface a legally protected brand.

Haha. Wut?
12-23-2014 05:38 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 05:38 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 05:12 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  Hopefully they keep putting the wrong name, logo and find themselves in a legal battle for purposely trying to deface a legally protected brand.

Haha. Wut?

I'm referring to putting the Lafayette leopards, remember us Cajuns are an ethnicity that has a long history of being discriminated against, keep it up espn. You should kinda know where I'm coming from their Indian... I mean war hawk. I hate that people use the discrimination card to get what they want but is make an exception if that's what it took. Nothing we can really do about them putting louisana @ Lafayette but la-laf is illegal, ullaf illegal, Lafayette illegal... Purposely putting Lafayette leopards... Ethnic discrimination
12-23-2014 05:45 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
Good luck with that lawsuit and you should really shore up your definition of illegal
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 06:07 PM by warhawk09.)
12-23-2014 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 06:06 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Good luck with that lawsuit and you should really shore up your definition of illegal

Don't worry, I won't beg you to sign a petition. You just have to say ethnic discrimination and you will millions of morons behind you picketing with no idea what they are yelling about.
12-23-2014 06:20 PM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports

There's a number of reasons why ESPN treats the Cajuns the way they do. The primary reason is because they can. The Sun Belt is an ESPN property, thanks to the 8 year contract Wright Waters signed with them the year before he retired. Because the Sun Belt attracts so few viewers for ESPN, the network doesn't feel any obligation to cater to anything the Sun Belt members want.

It's not just a situation in which ESPN uses UL Lafayette, but the multiple other names they call the Cajuns during the course of any game. They still use the Lafayette Leopard logo on graphics, the announcers call the Cajuns Louisiana-Monroe (Mack Brown on several occasions during the New Orleans Bowl), Lafayette (without the Louisiana or UL), and various other inaccurate nomenclatures. It has been conjectured that they continue to do this because the previous media relations director of the Cajuns posted a tweet about ESPN-Bristol that was taken as an insult, so ESPN is paying the university back for that mistake.

There are several other reasons for their actions, among which include the school in Monroe, the school in Ruston, the larger school in Baton Rouge, the incompetence and/or the maliciousness of certain individuals currently employed in the Sun Belt office and the paranoia of certain legislators in Baton Rouge. Just to cut to the chase, no, the desire and efforts of Cajuns, both inside and outside the university, has not diminished one iota. The current commissioner, while he's not as much of an instigator as the previous commissioner, is not competent enough to be a problem solver. Wright Waters was a major part of the problem, so it's not that he didn't try to do something about it, he insisted that the Cajuns be called anything other than what was requested.

There will be other comments placed in this thread about this subject being overexposed. If you want any further comments from me about it, I think you can send me a private message request. I'll be glad to share with you privately.
12-23-2014 06:21 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

For those that aren't aware, wright waters worked at Louisiana for 1 year as associate athletic director, didn't leave on good terms.
12-23-2014 06:26 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Just post it when you see/hear it and let the rest of us, as a conference, pester the hell out of them until they get it right. It matters. If you can post a link to the best place to respond when it happens it would be helpful.
12-23-2014 06:30 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 06:30 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  Just post it when you see/hear it and let the rest of us, as a conference, pester the hell out of them until they get it right. It matters. If you can post a link to the best place to respond when it happens it would be helpful.

I've never understood why more conference mates aren't in favor, do you want people to think you are in a conference with the Lafayette leopards? Perception is based on the company you keep.
12-23-2014 06:33 PM
Advertisement

Oldyeller Offline
All American

(12-23-2014 06:33 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 06:30 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  Just post it when you see/hear it and let the rest of us, as a conference, pester the hell out of them until they get it right. It matters. If you can post a link to the best place to respond when it happens it would be helpful.

I've never understood why more conference mates aren't in favor, do you want people to think you are in a conference with the Lafayette leopards? Perception is based on the company you keep.

Let me share a paradigm shift i had to help here. A particular group of people seem to drive particularly cautiously, slow over bumps and railroad tracks and whatever. A source of irritation for me until one day my wife and I and my two very young girls decided to ride bikes on a dirt road near my home. Cars were flying by with no concern for the two little ones, dust flying. At a moment when we were in a bad spot a car turned the corner. I panicked until the car slowed to a safe, respectful of the circumstance, speed. I was incredibly thankful. I'll likely road rage if someone dishes one of these motorist for the rest of my life. We're all like peas and carrots if you get my drift. The world is good despite our differences. GS fans may frustrate at times but we can damn sure irritate some folks. We can help.
12-23-2014 07:17 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

There are several who do it just because they know it annoys you guys.
12-23-2014 07:22 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(12-23-2014 07:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I'm very well aware of that and I think several of our fans go about it the wrong way. Using our official name or some weird variation of it is one thing... The wrong school and logo is another story, imagine if someone put arkansas pine bluffs logo next your name for the godaddy? That's a spot in the face of the players and alumni.
12-23-2014 07:28 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

(12-23-2014 07:28 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 07:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I'm very well aware of that and I think several of our fans go about it the wrong way. Using our official name or some weird variation of it is one thing... The wrong school and logo is another story, imagine if someone put arkansas pine bluffs logo next your name for the godaddy? That's a spot in the face of the players and alumni.

Post it with a link and we'll do what we can collectively. We need to stop harping on this stuff. They get it wrong because we're forcing them to talk about us. Post the link and share the humor in it and be done with it. 04-cheers
12-23-2014 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.