Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for UL fans
Bookmark and Share
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
Question for UL fans
so after being in the Nola Bowl 4 straight years, playing the same conference, is there any sort of desire to get into a different bowl, and see something different, even though if would put you at a more neutral site? Having what is basically a home game would be cool and all, but do you have any desire to go anywhere else (outside of the tie in game of course)?
12-22-2014 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Question for UL fans
(12-22-2014 08:20 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  so after being in the Nola Bowl 4 straight years, playing the same conference, is there any sort of desire to get into a different bowl, and see something different, even though if would put you at a more neutral site? Having what is basically a home game would be cool and all, but do you have any desire to go anywhere else (outside of the tie in game of course)?

Cajuns never get tired of going to New Orleans to party.

But in answer to your question, We would love to go to a bowl in Houston. We have a huge alumni base there, and loads of business ties to the city. As far as going to Mobile, most of our fans like the city, but the stadium is a dump, and the time/date of the game is very inconvenient. I personally would go there, or to Montgomery, but we would bring 10,000 to either, rather than the 20-40 that we have brought to NOLA [or would bring to Houston].

Orlando is a nice destination, but not really drivable. We would not travel that well there.
12-22-2014 08:33 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-22-2014 08:20 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  so after being in the Nola Bowl 4 straight years, playing the same conference, is there any sort of desire to get into a different bowl, and see something different, even though if would put you at a more neutral site? Having what is basically a home game would be cool and all, but do you have any desire to go anywhere else (outside of the tie in game of course)?

As the poster above said, it's hard to get tired of playing in the Super Dome. I wouldn't mind a change though not a change for purely the sake of change. Would depend on the opponent.

A quality opponent and a game in Houston would draw a very nice Cajun crowd.
12-22-2014 09:12 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

that game is always against the same conference, yes?

If anything, I would just want to branch out and play a different opponent.

I'm really hoping GS gets the Cure bowl, as I would love to go up against an AAC team.
12-22-2014 09:18 AM
CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(12-22-2014 09:18 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  that game is always against the same conference, yes?

The New Orleans Bowl is supposed to be against the C-USA, but so far the Cajuns have played ECU, Tulane, San Diego State and this year Nevada, so in reality the answer is no.

I'm really hoping GS gets the Cure bowl, as I would love to go up against an AAC team.
12-22-2014 09:28 AM
BankerCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
New Orleans and the Superdome are awesome places to play and see a football game, even if it wasn't a 3 hour drive... I love going to New Orleans and being able to bring my whole family... I have 6 kids and 3 sons-in-law.. And we all go!!! If the Cajuns can play indoor, and before Christmas!!! That is awesome.. I would like to see the NO Bowl invite a P5 or an AAC opponent.. A 3rd or 4th place C-USA (sun belt lite) does not get me excited... It's hard to get excited playing a 7-4 F_U or NTex.. Been there done that... Anyways. love the NO Bowl..
12-22-2014 09:29 AM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(12-22-2014 09:28 AM)CW Fishman Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 09:18 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  that game is always against the same conference, yes?

The New Orleans Bowl is supposed to be against the C-USA, but so far the Cajuns have played ECU, Tulane, San Diego State and this year Nevada, so in reality the answer is no.

ahh

thanks for the info 04-cheers
12-22-2014 09:31 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

Id like to be in a different bowl.... At the superdome... In New Orleans.
12-22-2014 09:40 AM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns

I think the attendance pretty much says our fans like to go to New Orleans. Although the 34,000 attendance this year is our lowest, I think it was more a situation of a 10am game time in conjunction with the Saints playing on Sunday. Hotels were requiring a two night minimum for bookings (Fri/Sat) and the prices were higher than previous years due to the Saints game. That being said, the game was the fourth highest attended New Orleans Bowl after the three other games we played in.

As to wanting to experience other games, I think fans would like to go to another bowl but to get a large crowd I think it would have to be something within 5-6 hours of Lafayette and be a weekend game. Cost will always be an issue as payouts for most of the smaller bowls are dependent on tickets sold by the university, and I still don't think we're at the point where we want to lose a half-million or more just to say we've played in a "bigger" bowl against the 9th place team from a BCS conference. In the short term, I think our athletic budget would be better off with a situation of at worst breaking even on a bowl. JMO.
12-22-2014 12:55 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-22-2014 09:31 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 09:28 AM)CW Fishman Wrote:  

ahh

thanks for the info 04-cheers

To be fair. ECU and Tulane were in CUSA when the game was played. I'm not sure why NOB trades out with MWC occasionally.
12-22-2014 01:52 PM
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

We actually played the MWC twice: San Diedo St, amd Nevada

And C-USA twice: East Carolina and Tulane.

First of all, we don't get to chose what bowl invites us. I don't think we would turn down a bowl invite and wait for possibly a better bowl like La Tech did and then you are left with no bowl, but as a fan

Out of the 3 bowl tie-ins that we have, New Orleans is definitely the best destination City no matter how close it is to Lafayette. Look how many times New Orleans hosted the Super Bowl, final 4, and 2 Bowl games each year.

If we would receive an at-large bid to Houston, Shreveport, Memphis, or Dallas which are all in driving distance wouldn't be bad but out of all the SBC Bowl cities, I chose New Orleans everytime. Not just because of the distance but because of the city.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 11:44 PM by IdahoCajun.)
12-22-2014 01:56 PM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(12-22-2014 03:43 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  Then we can't tell a bowl to invite us or turn down a bowl invitation to wait for a better bowl like La Tech did and end up with no bowl. You al mm ost have to take the first invitation offered. Out of the 3 SBC bowl destination cities, New Orleans is a no brainer, no matter how close it is to Lafayette.

now how does that work if you are CC. CC has to be in a bowl game. Let's say Cameilla bowl offered GS a bowl (assuming we were eligible), could GS essentially turn it down in order to force the hand of the other bowls to invite?

I'm sure this wouldn't happen, but was just curious.
12-22-2014 03:48 PM
stpacronym Offline
Water Engineer

(12-22-2014 03:48 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 03:43 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  Then we can't tell a bowl to invite us or turn down a bowl invitation to wait for a better bowl like La Tech did and end up with no bowl. You al mm ost have to take the first invitation offered. Out of the 3 SBC bowl destination cities, New Orleans is a no brainer, no matter how close it is to Lafayette.

now how does that work if you are CC. CC has to be in a bowl game. Let's say Cameilla bowl offered GS a bowl (assuming we were eligible), could GS essentially turn it down in order to force the hand of the other bowls to invite?

Conference champ has to be accommodated first. Could be any of the bowls.
12-22-2014 03:55 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(12-22-2014 03:55 PM)stpacronym Wrote:  

so the CC basically gets to pick where it goes?
12-22-2014 03:57 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(12-22-2014 01:56 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  

First of all, we don't get to chose what bowl invites us. I don't think we would turn down a bowl invite and wait for possibly a better bowl like La Tech did and then you are left with no bowl, but as a fan

Out of the 3 bowl tie-ins that we have, New Orleans is definitely the best destination City mo matter how close it is to Lafayette. Look how many times New Orleans hosted the Super Bowl, final 4, and 2 Bowl games each year.

If we would receive an at-large bid to Houston, Shreveport, Memphis, or Dallas which are all in driving distance wouldn't be bad but out of all the SBC Bowl cities, I chose New Orleans everytime. Not just because of the distance but because of the city.
Change is evil.

How do you know how your fan base would do (after 4 years of success) if it's not attempted? Sounds like a Camellia bowl answer to me.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 03:58 PM by CatMom.)
12-22-2014 03:58 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

(12-22-2014 03:58 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 01:56 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  

Out of the 3 bowl tie-ins that we have, New Orleans is definitely the best destination City mo matter how close it is to Lafayette. Look how many times New Orleans hosted the Super Bowl, final 4, and 2 Bowl games each year.

Change is evil.

How do you know how your fan base would do (after 4 years of success) if it's not attempted? Sounds like a Camellia bowl answer to me.

We would sell out Camellia Bowl.
12-22-2014 04:08 PM
Advertisement

Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(12-22-2014 03:57 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  

No, if you turn down an invite you were accommodated and chose not to take it. A CC would not be allowed to hold the conference and all the bowls hostage while the CC wants to wait and see.
12-22-2014 04:18 PM
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

Previously posted by TXSTCAT

> SBC champion is guaranteed a bowl spot in either one of the SBC contracted games; or as an at-large against the best possible opponent in the best possible bowl game

. > SBC teams cannot enter into an agreement with any bowl without the approval of the SBC Presidents/Chancellors. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in a financial penalty determined by the SBC Presidents/Chancellors

.> SBC teams cannot negotiate with any bowl which includes prohibiting a team from offering any financial incentive to a bowl for preferential treatment. All negotiations between SBC teams and bowls must be managed by the Commissioner. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in a financial penalty determined by the SBC Presidents/Chancellors.

> If there are co-champions; both teams are guaranteed a spot as long as both have a minimum of 7 regular season wins. If one of the co-champions has a 6-6 regular season record and is not selected by one of the SBC contracted bowls, that team will be place in the pool of other at-large SBC teams.

> If there are tri-champions; all three guaranteed a spot as long as all three have 7 regular season wins. If one or more of the tri-champions have a 6-6 regular season record and is not selected by one of the SBC contracted bowls, that team(s) will be placed in the pool of other at-large SBC teams

.> Once SBC champion(s) are placed in a bowl and the contracted SBC bowl games are filled, the remaining at-large teams will be placed using the following guidelines:
1.A selection committee comprised of those SBC ADs whose teams have already been placed in bowl games – along with those ADs whose team is not bowl eligible -- will conduct a conference call with the Commissioner to review the bowl eligible teams and the bowl spots open and available and assist the Commissioner in the placement of teams using the principle of "right team in the right place." The Committee will seek to balance the best interests of the bowl(s) and the SBC and the involved teams. 
2. If there are two bowl eligible teams for two open bowl spots, placement of teams will be done based on geographic location of the two teams relative to the two bowl sites
.3. If there are two bowl eligible teams for one open bowl spot, the following factors will be considered to determine which team receives the final bowl spot. Again, the Committee will balance what is in the best business interest of the bowls and the SBC and what is in the best interest of the two teams.

A. Head to head between the two teams and/or conference standings and regular season record to determine what team is the most deserving.
B. How did a team finish the season – record in last four games
C. Bowl history of both teams – previous ticket sales and when did the teams last play in a bowl game.
D. Number of wins by each team versus FBS teams; versus FCS teams
E. Quality wins and/or "bad" losses by each team.
F. BCS/RPI rankings of each team, including both team's strength of schedule.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 09:13 PM by IdahoCajun.)
12-22-2014 05:14 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(12-22-2014 09:40 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

Id like to be in a different bowl.... At the superdome... In New Orleans.

This! I would love to see any Belt team do the same.
12-22-2014 05:31 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(12-22-2014 04:18 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  
(12-22-2014 03:57 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  

I think one of the 3 SBC bowls has to invite the conference champion. The 3 or 4 now SBC bowIs has to invite the champion before invitations can be extended to other SBC Schools. The Conference champion is guaranteed a SBC bowl game. I don't think you get to chose who invites you.

It use to be that the New Orleans bowl had the first pick. I'm not sure how it is now but I'm pretty sure without a doubt that you don't get to chose which SBC bowl you want to invite you.

I think I know what you are trying to say but might have misspoken. The champion must be accommodated, does not have to be a SBC bowl. The conference could negotiate the champion to another bowl in order to get extra teams in. The New Orleans bowl originally had first pick and had to take the champion 2 out of every 4 years but that rule is no longer in place.
12-22-2014 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.