Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Important news that will affect all of us!
Bookmark and Share
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
OT: Important news that will affect all of us!
Current measurements suggest the Andromeda Galaxy is approaching us at 100 to 140 kilometers per second. In 3 to 4 billion years, there may be an Andromeda–Milky Way collision, depending on the importance of unknown lateral components to the galaxies' relative motion. If they collide, the chance of individual stars colliding with each other is extremely low, but instead the two galaxies will merge to form a single elliptical galaxy or perhaps a large disk galaxy over the course of about a billion years.

04-jawdrop
12-12-2014 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
RE: OT: Important news that will affect all of us!

12-12-2014 12:40 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-12-2014 12:32 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Current measurements suggest the Andromeda Galaxy is approaching us at 100 to 140 kilometers per second. In 3 to 4 billion years, there may be an Andromeda–Milky Way collision, depending on the importance of unknown lateral components to the galaxies' relative motion. If they collide, the chance of individual stars colliding with each other is extremely low, but instead the two galaxies will merge to form a single elliptical galaxy or perhaps a large disk galaxy over the course of about a billion years.

04-jawdrop

do you have a link?

this is actually pretty cool if true.
12-12-2014 12:41 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital

12-12-2014 12:41 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
See what happens when Georgia Southern gets screwed out of a bowl game?
12-12-2014 12:43 PM
appfan89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State

Donators
(12-12-2014 12:41 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 12:32 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Current measurements suggest the Andromeda Galaxy is approaching us at 100 to 140 kilometers per second. In 3 to 4 billion years, there may be an Andromeda–Milky Way collision, depending on the importance of unknown lateral components to the galaxies' relative motion. If they collide, the chance of individual stars colliding with each other is extremely low, but instead the two galaxies will merge to form a single elliptical galaxy or perhaps a large disk galaxy over the course of about a billion years.

04-jawdrop

do you have a link?

I watch a lot of Discovery and Science Channels and rememberwatching an episode about this. It is very interesting to see and some of the images caught on Hubble showing collisions of other galaxies is amazing to see.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 12:52 PM by appfan89.)
12-12-2014 12:51 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Unless any of you is drinking out of the Fountain of Youth...there wont be anyone here around to see it.
12-12-2014 12:52 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(12-12-2014 12:52 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Unless any of you is drinking out of the Fountain of Youth...there wont be anyone here around to see it.

what was your first clue? lol
12-12-2014 12:54 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(12-12-2014 12:32 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Current measurements suggest the Andromeda Galaxy is approaching us at 100 to 140 kilometers per second. In 3 to 4 billion years, there may be an Andromeda–Milky Way collision, depending on the importance of unknown lateral components to the galaxies' relative motion. If they collide, the chance of individual stars colliding with each other is extremely low, but instead the two galaxies will merge to form a single elliptical galaxy or perhaps a large disk galaxy over the course of about a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Wayillion years.

04-jawdrop

do you have a link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

Upon re-read though I am a bit relieved. I originally thought it said this was going to happen in 3 or 4 MILLION years. Kinda dodged a bullet actually.
Duncan20 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-12-2014 12:51 PM)appfan89 Wrote:  

04-jawdrop

do you have a link?

I watch a lot of Discovery and Science Channels and rememberwatching an episode about this. It is very interesting to see and some of the images caught on Hubble showing collisions of other galaxies is amazing to see.

That was awesome.
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(12-12-2014 12:54 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 12:52 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Unless any of you is drinking out of the Fountain of Youth...there wont be anyone here around to see it.

what was your first clue? lol

He's a mod. They're sharp as double-edged marshmallows.
12-12-2014 12:56 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

04-jawdrop

No one will be around to see it. In 1.5 Billion years, our Sun will have expand and be nearing the end of its life. In doing so the radiation from the Sun will have made earth uninhabitable. So the human race will need to get off its ass and start colonizing other planets.
12-12-2014 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(12-12-2014 01:08 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

04-jawdrop

No one will be around to see it. In 1.5 Billion years, our Sun will have expand and be nearing the end of its life.

Reminded me of this video:

12-12-2014 01:12 PM
ApexRedWolf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State

04-jawdrop

No one will be around to see it. In 1.5 Billion years, our Sun will have expand and be nearing the end of its life. In doing so the radiation from the Sun will have made earth uninhabitable. So the human race will need to get off its ass and start colonizing other planets.

That was my first thought as well. I think the Sun only has 5 billion left before it collapses in on itself. So......hopefully Karl Benson can do something about it before then.
12-12-2014 01:13 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-12-2014 01:13 PM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  

04-jawdrop

That was my first thought as well. I think the Sun only has 5 billion left before it collapses in on itself. So......hopefully Karl Benson can do something about it before then.

Karl Benson will replace the Sun itself as the new bright star in the Galaxy.
12-12-2014 01:16 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

Now that I think of it, this thread should probably be in the realignment forum.
12-12-2014 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(12-12-2014 01:13 PM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  

04-jawdrop

. . . IF you can get him off the golf course . . . 07-coffee3
12-12-2014 01:26 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

Karl will just find a sun from a smaller solar system and give it a shot with a bigger solar system.
12-12-2014 02:11 PM
appfan89 Offline
2nd String

Donators
(12-12-2014 01:18 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Now that I think of it, this thread should probably be in the realignment forum.

03-lmfao
12-12-2014 02:13 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(12-12-2014 02:11 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  Karl will just find a sun from a smaller solar system and give it a shot with a bigger solar system.

. . .. OR he could just expand the system to 16 and see how that works for him . ..
12-12-2014 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.