UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'll probably get slammed for this, but.....
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
I have been slammed by worse people04-chairshot

I've blasted Mackin as much as anybody else, but I am beginning to get a different sense of this. I know for a fact that Brian has always been a huge supporter of the football program and that he helped save it from a BOT shut down in the Brown days. Now does look like that our AD stood around and did nothing while Watts worked his evil schemes, but I can't believe for one moment that Mackin deliberately set about to tear down the football team. That's where I draw the line. I have too often seen Mackin working behind the backs of the BOT for the betterment of the program.

Now we have that the lying b****** essentially said that it is all Mackin's fault, I am thinking we might have misinterpreted events. I have come up with another plausible scenario that that fits all of the facts as we know them. Now I am not saying that this is how it went down, but it think that this is a real possibility.

I don't doubt that Mackin chose Carr for the study. He has used them before for coaching searches. But I think it is possible that someone higher up changed Carr's instructions after Mackin commissioned the study. I know for a fact that until two or three weeks ago, people in the athletic department thought that the study would pave the way for facility improvements, etc. That may have be behind Mackin's positive statements early on. Then when it recently became clear that the study was going to be used to ax the program, Mackin could have (as he has often done before) fought to save the program behind the scenes. That would explain his resignation when it became clear that he had lost. I expect that by now Watts has him tied up in a NDA and knowing that Brian can't say anything, Watts is using him as a scape goat.

By why, you would ask, would Mackin say nothing during this entire process. Well I have known people like Brian who have a certain set of values. Such people feel it is highly unethical to criticize or do anything to cross their bosses in front of their employees and certainly not in public. While they may fight like wild cats behind the scenes against what they believe is a bad decision, you will never know that they disagree with their superiors. It could be that Watts took full advantage of Brian in this respect.

Now heck, I'm sure that we can come up with different explanations which put Maqckin in a much worse light, and they may seem just as valid. All I am saying is that we don't know what went on behind the scenes except that Watts is a damned liar. I'm just saying that this scenario fits all of the facts as we know them. I am hoping that sooner or later the truth will come out.
12-03-2014 11:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TPBlaze84 Offline
1st String

RE: I'll probably get slammed for this, but.....
It certainly is plausible. With as much confusion and lack of information there is, you're right, you can come up with just about any hypothetical scenario. To me, Mackin being complicit creates more questions that him being simply pliant or even opposed to what has been going on. Who really knows, I just hope to find out.
12-03-2014 11:48 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(12-03-2014 11:48 PM)TPBlaze84 Wrote:  It certainly is plausible. With as much confusion and lack of information there is, you're right, you can come up with just about any hypothetical scenario. To me, Mackin being complicit creates more questions that him being simply pliant or even opposed to what has been going on. Who really knows, I just hope to find out.

Ditto.
12-03-2014 11:50 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Mackin is a yes man. He did what his boss told him to do, including being quiet. He was a yes man as long as his conscience allowed him to be. Then, maybe after the Southern Miss game, maybe the accumulation of abuse he took from fans of the school he graduated from, he couldn't do it anymore.
12-03-2014 11:53 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
While I have not had a kind word about Brian here lately, in light of recent events, I have no doubt he still bleeds green & gold.

We will do a lot worse than have Brian Mackin as AD.
12-03-2014 11:54 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
+1

I mean it wasnt too long he was signing new football contracts ( usa & ga state), landing a cusa event, and quoted about relignment and such what couldve soured?
12-03-2014 11:54 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
To be certain.... Ray Watts must go... Soon.
12-03-2014 11:55 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(12-03-2014 11:55 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  To be certain.... Ray Watts must go... Soon.

And the announcer says "stay tuned..." hopefully the loser quits this week
12-03-2014 11:59 PM
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

I think I agree with you. I don't think Mackin supported this. It came from higher up and he had to bite his tongue and do as he was told. I don't think he liked what was happening, but he was powerless to stop it. The Carr study said that capital improvements would be required for UAB football. Mackin might have took this to mean that those improvements would happen. Hell, he might have seen a draft where that was the primary recommendation. But when it became evident that the football program was to go, I think he resigned. If he were truly a hatchetman for the BOT he would have been placed to catch more of the flak that watts is catching right now, and then take a golden-parachute exit.

I'm not even sure I really hate watts for this. It's not like it was his idea-- it was obviously in place when he was hired, and it came from higher up. He might have been sold a bill of goods. The UAB hospital is facing an 80 million dollar shortfall next year because of changes in medicare reimbursements. He may have been told simply- find the money. Take it from where it will hurt the least. And honestly if you were to cut a program, football hurts the least people for the most savings. He might have been told this is the only way to keep the undergraduate section on track and growing. Sure, he's a hatchetman and this is what he was hired to do. I want him gone. But I don't hate him as a traitor; not really. It's not like he was loyal and was bought out. He was never loyal. He was BOT man from before he was hired, and that was why he was hired.

No, I know where my hate should be directed. Exactly at the UA BOT. They were the ones calling the shots, even if watts swung the sword. That is, for me, the number one priority. The UA BOT must change. Then Watts can go-- when we'll be able to get a true independent president.
12-04-2014 12:07 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

I think that's a reasonable assumption to make.

I'm not as familiar with the work Mr. Macklin has done behind the scenes, but, in the past, I knew he was someone that was true to UAB. It's not a leap to assume that he, like Coach Clark, thought that the study was initially meant to help. When it turned out that Dr. Watts' true intentions came to light, he was stuck. If he came forward, then he was done. If he didn't do anything, he was still done but he kept his job a little longer. Mr. Macklin is not dumb. I believe he knew early on that sitting on the fence meant it was over, but, at the very least, I like to think he made an honest effort and was taken advantage of by a man and a board that never wanted him to succeed at his job.

I'd be very interested in what he has to say, if he ever says anything.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's important to consider his temporary job switch. Unlike Dr. Watts, Mr. Macklin is going to face the people that were on the cut teams and attempt to help them. He didn't have to do that. He could have just resigned and left just like that.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 12:13 AM by Hopeful.)
12-04-2014 12:08 AM
Southside Blazer 82 Offline
Special Teams

Mackin received Logan Young treatment. Of course he's not going to say anything and place his life in danger.
12-04-2014 12:13 AM
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(12-03-2014 11:53 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Mackin is a yes man. He did what his boss told him to do, including being quiet. He was a yes man as long as his conscience allowed him to be. Then, maybe after the Southern Miss game, maybe the accumulation of abuse he took from fans of the school he graduated from, he couldn't do it anymore.

I'm not surprised you think so, but based on my experience with him, I just don't believe that is what went down. I think that Brian has always seen himself as a behind the scenes operator, a back room manipulator who could deftly navigate the treasonous waters of the BOT controlled environment surrounding UAB athletics without being sucked down. I think the guy who saw himself has the master manipulator was him suckered down some rapids even he couldn't handle.
12-04-2014 12:16 AM
blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CajunBlazer, based my 25 years at UAB, I was thinking the same thing. That's why I would like to see the original Carr Study RFP to see if it specifically stated "including possible termination of football program".
12-04-2014 12:19 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(12-04-2014 12:19 AM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  CajunBlazer, based my 25 years at UAB, I was thinking the same thing. That's why I would like to see the original Carr Study RFP to see if it specifically stated "including possible termination of football program".

That's why they passed the Freedom of Information act
12-04-2014 12:21 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-04-2014 12:16 AM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 11:53 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Mackin is a yes man. He did what his boss told him to do, including being quiet. He was a yes man as long as his conscience allowed him to be. Then, maybe after the Southern Miss game, maybe the accumulation of abuse he took from fans of the school he graduated from, he couldn't do it anymore.

I'm not surprised you think so, but based on my experience with him, I just don't believe that is what went down. I think that Brian has always seen himself as a behind the scenes operator, a back room manipulator who could deftly navigate the treasonous waters of the BOT controlled environment surrounding UAB athletics without being sucked down. I think the guy who saw himself has the master manipulator was him suckered down some rapids even he couldn't handle.

So Brian has remained quiet, although very likely knowing about this plan since at least when Clark was hired, and it was because of his very high ethics? And not the big payoff he is going to deposit?

Mackin absolutely sucked as an AD but obviously he was pretty damn good at schmoozing.
12-04-2014 01:51 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Brian Mackin was not some kind of ninja freedom fighter, no matter what fiction Cajun conjures up.

No matter if he was complicit, complacent or just a bad representative of the athletes, he should have been in that meeting with e players, even if he had resigned.

He is a coward.
12-04-2014 08:00 AM
Advertisement

the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2014 08:00 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Brian Mackin was not some kind of ninja freedom fighter, no matter what fiction Cajun conjures up.

No matter if he was complicit, complacent or just a bad representative of the athletes, he should have been in that meeting with e players, even if he had resigned.

He is a coward.

+1
12-04-2014 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Island Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

At some point Mr. Mackin had to know that he was losing the ear of Mr. Watts, that this was out of his hands, and that it was going very badly. Questions that beg to be asked of Mr. Mackin by UAB people, when did you sense it and what did you do about it? Did you put anything on the line? He had to have an intuitive sense months ago.
12-04-2014 09:07 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(12-04-2014 09:07 AM)Island Blazer Wrote:  At some point Mr. Mackin had to know that he was losing the ear of Mr. Watts, that this was out of his hands, and that it was going very badly. Questions that beg to be asked of Mr. Mackin by UAB people, when did you sense it and what did you do about it? Did you put anything on the line? He had to have an intuitive sense months ago.

I think that's fair statement. Of course it has been standard procedure for the BOT and its henchmen to us nondisclosure agreements to muzzle anyone who could fill the public in on how they went about performing their dirty deeds. So there is a good chance such questions will never be answered.

The whole process is insidious. The person in question is losing their job (whether they are being forced out or feel they can no longer stay in the job under the circumstances) and they feel that the entire process is totally unfair. It would be natural for them to feel that they since they were wronged they should be compensated. However, unless they chose to go to court (where the evil ones would certainly lie and pressure others to lie), the people on the way out are totally dependent on the BOT agree to that compensation. The BOT has always agreed, but it comes with a price. The NDA is the only thing that keeps the BOT from enduring the public scrutiny which would surely be its downfall. It is the instrument it uses to insure its survival.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 09:50 AM by CajunBlazer.)
12-04-2014 09:48 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(12-04-2014 01:51 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 12:16 AM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  

So Brian has remained quiet, although very likely knowing about this plan since at least when Clark was hired, and it was because of his very high ethics? And not the big payoff he is going to deposit?

Mackin absolutely sucked as an AD but obviously he was pretty damn good at schmoozing.

What I said was that most of the people in the athletic department who were asked to provide input to the study believe that the study would provide the pathway to a improved success on the field. Here I am talking about all of the coaches, including Clark, the assistant AD's etc. Now that not speculation, that is fact. It is also quite apparent that a price tag was put on each item on the coachs' wish lists and that was used to "prove" that the continuation of he football program was untenable. I don't believe anyone contests this.

The only thing we don't know about is Mackin involvement - it comes down to the old question - what did he know, when did he know it, and what did he do about it. I simply presented the possibility that like everyone else in the athletic department, he was not told by Watts what the true purpose of the study was, found out about it later when it was too late, fought the matter internally and lost, and then resigned in protest. Surely you can believe that Watts tried to deceived Mackin about his true intentions like he deceived everyone else.

Now you can believe whatever the heck you want and in the absence of facts I can't say you're wrong. But again given the absence of facts, you can't say that the scenario I presented is wrong either. I hope that sooner or later the facts will come out, but I am not holding my breath.
12-04-2014 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.