Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Home Opener vs. St. Andrew's
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Home Opener vs. St. Andrew's
The Knights of St. Andrew's have yet to face any D-I competition yet, but they do take on Mercer tonight in Macon, Georgia. Playing games on back to back nights is not enviable.

Hopefully for us we'll be able to get a lot of minutes to our freshmen guards: Particularly Nick Powell, who saw his first action against Davidson but only played 1 minute.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 03:51 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-02-2014 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
RE: Home Opener vs. St. Andrew's
NAIA team?Is this a real game or an exhibition?
12-03-2014 03:53 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(12-03-2014 03:53 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  NAIA team?Is this a real game or an exhibition?

Hey Mullet- will you be at the game?
12-03-2014 04:56 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

No-I can't make the game tonight.I am trying to make a couple of games but work is out of control!
(12-03-2014 04:56 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 03:53 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  NAIA team?Is this a real game or an exhibition?

Hey Mullet- will you be at the game?
12-03-2014 06:09 PM
Advertisement

BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

Freddie Jackson got a career high at least.
12-03-2014 08:47 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Hawks had no injuries and won big.
12-03-2014 09:41 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

Coach Keatts Postgame

12-04-2014 07:17 AM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

UNCW Players Post-Game

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 07:25 AM by 70shawk.)
12-04-2014 07:18 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

Whoever makes the schedule for St.Andrews should rethink the deal next year.Play a D1 in Georgia and NC on back to back nights?The paper says they had 8 players available for the game last night.I also have no idea why Keatts/Bass would want this game but at least they won big and no harm done in the process.As far as taking anything from a game like this I think it is maybe one step above a inter squad game-big maybe.
12-04-2014 09:40 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2014 09:40 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Whoever makes the schedule for St.Andrews should rethink the deal next year.Play a D1 in Georgia and NC on back to back nights?The paper says they had 8 players available for the game last night.I also have no idea why Keatts/Bass would want this game but at least they won big and no harm done in the process.As far as taking anything from a game like this I think it is maybe one step above a inter squad game-big maybe.

Only positive was getting a cheap home game with no return which i can understand with the amount of road games we have this year. No other point to games like these as you dont learn anything, risk injuring players, and the crowds really cannot get excited. As mullet said a glorified scrimmage
12-04-2014 10:08 AM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

This year is a re-set year. I dislike scheduling non-division I teams, but in the case of this year's squad, who is still getting the hang of the new system - plus facing all the road/money games to clear the decks- I don't see the harm. Maybe it will be good.

The optimistic scenario for this year is to come out of the non-conference schedule with morale and confidence intact, all the while getting into the rhythm of the new system.

Then finish, say, in the middle of the less-than-robust CAA standings (not at all a crazy goal). Then get catch fire in the tournament and see if we can get lucky.

That's a lot of ifs....but who knows. That's why they play the games.
12-04-2014 12:52 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

It's kind of a insult to fans IMO and a total waste of time for the players.I don't see how a game like this builds confidence.
I do agree with you on winning in the CAA and who knows in the tourney if you stay healthy and get lucky it can happen.
12-04-2014 06:02 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 06:02 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I do agree with you on winning in the CAA and who knows in the tourney if you stay healthy and get lucky it can happen.

Thank you, Mullet. Good to see that there's a cockeyed optimist underneath your scale-clad exterior.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 08:33 PM by 70shawk.)
12-04-2014 08:32 PM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Let's face it, they were playing a back to back and didn't have the horses. It was a GREAT chance to rest Dylan who has proven to be absolutely VITAL to UNCW's attack. Dylan should have a green light on most occasions but take good shots playing inside outside ball. Most don't understand how incredibly vital Dylan is to the Hawks attack because he is the one guy that can absolutely shoot the ball on this club. I was very happy to see Craig get a little confidence going because you could see his lack of attacking due to it being preached not to commit the TO. With Craig, I'd rather live with the TO's and they will go down, and just let Craig be in attack mode. He's so much more effective when he's just playing ball. Also, I've really enjoyed seeing Mr. Action Jackson doing his thing and the unselfish nature of guys like Addison getting him the rock. Addison will commit his TO's but passes the ball surprisingly well and will get his.

Like 70's wrote, this is what to expect from UNCW ball as the current roster dictates. We may never have the services of Yemi and that is somewhat of a downer. Still, if the other key guys or anybody else doesn't get hurt or is out, this is a team that can compete in most CAA games and represent UNCW pretty good. Yes, playing .500 ball in the CAA would be a start and a good showing in the CAA tourney is very possible. The CAA is not that good so a nucleus of guys like a Jackson, Williams, Spruill and Ponder with Dylan can compete with any CAA team on any given night.

The future is really, really good with Coach Keatts. He's come in here and has made big waves on the recruiting front. Next year, the PG position is wide open and even if Ponder was that guy, I'd be thrilled, but there are at least 3 other guys competing. It will be hard pressed to beat the xfer from Jacksonville University for the 2 guard since he will probably be on the 1st or 2nd team All CAA going in-but Mathews (great scorer/shooter) and CJ Brice (sky's the limit-talent wise) will get their minutes somewhere. Great competition at the 3 and 4 as well as you have to figure that Matthews, Grundy, Cacok and company will compete with the xfer from Charlotte. And, the 5 should be Gettys, Ogbodo and/or the Charlotte xfer as a smaller 5 that has enough size to defend but can step out kind of like CC did.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 12:04 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
12-04-2014 11:59 PM
UNCWSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I agree with this statement 100%. I chose not to attend the home opener because I find it tough to get behind putting a whoopin on a lower division opponent. Felt that way twice last year against Wingate & Campbellsville and Coker the year before. I get that it can help the guys develop especially the guys who normally get less mins. Ultimately I write it off as the offset to the Louisville game...

I asked Keatts about it at the last Lunch with Keatts & he said that they will keep a lower division opponent on the schedule for the foreseeable future. Something about the league allowing for one, but needing permission for more than one.

I kinda hate it. Would much rather any regional D1 opponent in its place, but i suppose with the way the contracts work, etc its difficult for a school at our level to hand craft our schedule to that extent. Looking forward to Liberty & ECU!

(12-04-2014 10:08 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Only positive was getting a cheap home game with no return which i can understand with the amount of road games we have this year. No other point to games like these as you dont learn anything, risk injuring players, and the crowds really cannot get excited. As mullet said a glorified scrimmage
12-05-2014 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.