UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB says Bill Clark's contract has not been executed yet.
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
UAB says Bill Clark's contract has not been executed yet.
Solomon updated his earlier article with details http://t.co/z3KwzouHRH

Quote:Clark's contract has not been executed yet by the board of trustees, UAB claimed on Nov. 20. Clark has been operating since January under a letter of intent.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 03:40 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
11-20-2014 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB says Bill Clark's contract has not been executed yet.
The article goes on to say that the reason the contract wasn't executed is that UAB had a vacancy for VP, Financial Affairs. A plausible excuse, but...
11-20-2014 03:41 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2014 03:41 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  The article goes on to say that the reason the contract wasn't executed is that UAB had a vacancy for VP, Financial Affairs. A plausible excuse, but...

This board is going to flip over this detail, but it's not really significant nor is it relevant to the bigger issue. If Clark gets the answers he wants to hear by Nov 30th, he'll be UAB's football coach for at least a couple more seasons when he'll move up the ladder due to his success. If he doesn't get those answers, he accepts an offer from another school soon after Nov 30th. Simple as that.
11-20-2014 03:49 PM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(11-20-2014 03:49 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 03:41 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  The article goes on to say that the reason the contract wasn't executed is that UAB had a vacancy for VP, Financial Affairs. A plausible excuse, but...

This board is going to flip over this detail, but it's not really significant nor is it relevant to the bigger issue. If Clark gets the answers he wants to hear by Nov 30th, he'll be UAB's football coach for at least a couple more seasons when he'll move up the ladder due to his success. If he doesn't get those answers, he accepts an offer from another school soon after Nov 30th. Simple as that.

Was the story updated? I know it came out like a week ago but now it's quoting UAB from today?
11-20-2014 04:06 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I think this is the bulk of the updated portion:

Documents UAB provided to CBSSports.com on Nov. 20 confirm that Clark has a three-year agreement worth $450,000 in base salary, $25,000 in radio and talent fee, and $25,000 in promotional and fundraising fee.
Clark signed a release of claims with UAB that includes "all complaints, causes of action and claims based on seeking to challenge any conduct, event, action or decision that took place prior to Clark's signing of this Agreement. Clark agrees and understands that the effect of this Agreement is that all such complaints, causes of action and claims are forever waived, released and discharged as against the UAB Parties."

If UAB terminates Clark's employment without cause, the letter of intent states UAB owes him his $500,000 total compensation through the term of the agreement. If Clark leaves, he owes the lesser amount of his total annual pay ($500,000) or the total compensation remaining through the agreement if the remaining term is less than one year.

Clark is eligible for season-ticket sales bonuses of $10,000 (5,000-7,499 tickets sold), $20,000 (7,500-9,999 tickets), or $30,000 (more than 10,000 tickets). He could get a $25,000 bonus for reaching a bowl and $10,000 if he wins a bowl game.

UAB entered into an "assignment and assumption of employment contract" with Clark and Jacksonville State from his contract at his previous school. UAB assumed all of Jacksonville State's "rights, obligations and liabilities" under Clark's Jacksonville State contract in exchange for $400,000, according to the agreement.
11-20-2014 04:15 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

What does all of this mean Marcia?
11-20-2014 04:27 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(11-20-2014 04:27 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  What does all of this mean Marcia?

03-confused
11-20-2014 04:35 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Not much. It means that if Clark decides that he is not impressed by the sincerity of the "We're going to make this right, you're safe to stay", he can pick the hell up and walk without complications. I guess no buyout either way, so he'd be one helluva good free agent.

'Course, if we didn't fix it he was gonna walk anyhow. I guess there would be no legal fees, just flip them the bird and hit the door.
11-20-2014 04:53 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(11-20-2014 03:49 PM)blazr Wrote:  

agreed. frankly, I'm not concerned about the contract. i could see why he would have only been offered a 3 year contract to start with (given the failure of our last coach). and even under the best circumstances, i wouldn't think they'd negotiate a new one (or extension) until the season is over.

now…no games being scheduled past 2016…thats a different story
11-20-2014 05:15 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

Yeah, but it's just one more piece of evidence that all this has been plotted and planned out in advance. Why obligate yourself to a payout if you can stall?

More importantly, why obligate yourself to a study if you can stall long enough that Clark take a job elsewhere. That solves everything very neatly without anyone being responsible.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 05:20 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
11-20-2014 05:20 PM
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This actually happens more than you think. Tony Barbee went almost two years without a formal contract signed at Auburn. It makes amending the contract somewhat easier if you are planning to increase terms or pay.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 05:34 PM by UABslant.)
11-20-2014 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I understand that, and I'm not all that outraged or upset about it. It remains true that not having a signed contract opens some options otherwise not available.
11-20-2014 05:37 PM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
The new VP of Finance is now in place. That excuse is now gone.
11-21-2014 01:24 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(11-21-2014 01:24 PM)Doktyr X Wrote:  The new VP of Finance is now in place. That excuse is now gone.

And that person is now completing contracts. I imagine there is a helluva stack awaiting attention. Again, THIS - of all things - is not a big deal.
11-21-2014 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.