Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bluefield College
Bookmark and Share
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Bluefield College
No chatter about the visiting Rams? Are we gonna win?

In all seriousness I hope Tony uses this game to be experimental with the lineups and we play as many players as possible. It would be great to work out some of the kinks in our game against a lower tier opponent.
11-20-2014 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

RE: Bluefield College
I think it's a great chance to get some guys experience, but it's also a great opportunity for the first 8 that Tony likes to use to really build some chemistry in a game. Even though it's against lower competition, it's better than just practice.
11-20-2014 12:41 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(11-20-2014 12:41 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  I think it's a great chance to get some guys experience, but it's also a great opportunity for the first 8 that Tony likes to use to really build some chemistry in a game. Even though it's against lower competition, it's better than just practice.

This is my view. I want to see some of the chemistry things worked out.

Others noted the number of great passes under the basket by Tarpey, but his teammates not expecting it and not knowing what to do. I thought Schlottman delivered a few like that as well.

It's time to smooth out the starters. Get a big lead and you can let the depth guys play some, but I think the focus needs to be on getting those 8 going.
11-20-2014 01:01 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Here's about all you need to know about Bluefield, located in Bluefield, VA, just off Rt. 460, west of Blacksburg. (NAIA college)

They were 16-13 last year and made it to the Christian Colleges Championships.

The Rams possess impressive offensive statistics early in the 2014-15 season, including averaging 78 points per game. The Rams have six players averaging in double figures led by Kyle Grisby’s 19.3 points per game. Zeke Williams (12.0), Mike Collins (11.3), Ederson Exume (10.8), Devin Page (10.5) and Joseph McClain (10.3) all average 10 or more points for the Rams. As a team, Bluefield is shooting 48.3 percent from the field and 41.5 percent from 3-point range. BC also outrebounds its opponents by more than six per game.

The key here, for me, is to see the starters (first 8) get plenty of time in the first half to work on needed chemistry and run up a big enough lead that the second 7 can get plenty of time on the court in the second half, to get them over the "first real playing time in college" nerves. That will be important in later games.
11-20-2014 03:37 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Anyone know what the deal is with tickets? I didn't have anything in my season ticket package about Bluefield. Will I need to buy a ticket at the door?
11-20-2014 05:31 PM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

I think Tony said that they would let you in, even if you just said you knew him.

Shouldn't be a problem getting in.
11-20-2014 06:34 PM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

Bluefield College
(11-20-2014 05:31 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Anyone know what the deal is with tickets? I didn't have anything in my season ticket package about Bluefield. Will I need to buy a ticket at the door?

I know this is too late, but I got a second regular envelope mailed with tickets.
11-20-2014 07:25 PM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

Tribe doing a better job with the Matchup Zone this season.
11-20-2014 07:32 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I heard Tony say we were playing a lot of man too
11-20-2014 07:43 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

Bluefield College
This is what this team needed to do tonight. 48-15 with about the last 5 minutes being deep into the roster.

The starters got into a good run run after the 2nd media timeout and real put the boots to poor Bluefield.

Some young guys are seeing some real game action and getting their first college points.
11-20-2014 07:45 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Did Rowley play? If he didn't, that pretty much announces the unannounced... He is a redshirt.
11-20-2014 08:52 PM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

Bluefield College
Rowley was in street clothes. I'd be shocked if he doesn't red shirt.
11-20-2014 08:53 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

Hit the century mark in a nice win.

Tot seemed to struggle a bit, didn't really score much and he spent a lot of time on the court.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 08:56 PM by TDenverFan.)
11-20-2014 08:55 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I don't mind the Rowley redshirt. I'd really like to get in the habit of redshirting a couple guys a year.
11-20-2014 09:22 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
The eight guys in the rotation played really well together - the rest of the team also got lots of playing time and everybody on the team scored at least a few points.

Tom Schalk was interviewed in the post game interview with Tony. Tony also mentioned that the team was to get on a plane at 6:45 AM on Friday [tomorrow morning] for the flight to Texas for the game with Rice on Saturday.
11-20-2014 10:22 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

*Whitman continues to show flashes of talent...he can run, defend and has moves around the basket. Once he gets back in real game shape---he, basically, hasn't played in almost a year and a half...he will split time with Sheldon and really help this team. His upside for the next four years is very hugh.

*Malinowski can shoot the ball..a natural shooter. Tony talked after the game about the freshman being in the seven/eight man rotation, high praise indeed. Paul will need to develop
defensively; looks a little lost at times.

*Marcus looked like Marcus for the first time...he was making shots outside NBA range and looked very fluid in his sixteen minutes. Marcus remains in in a higher league.

*I really like Schlotman. He is fearless, tenacious and a superb ball handler. Going to be a four-year leader for us. Just getting into shape after missing practice time with ankle sprain.

*Dixon much more aggressive...Tony must have lit a fire under him. When he plays this way--even though it was Bluefield--he is something to watch.

Despite playing it's fourth game in a week this Saturday at Rice I look for a big effort by our guys. Win Saturday will really buoy the team.
11-21-2014 07:37 AM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Both Tot and Schlotman are too careless with their passes. I have no doubt we'll see some of the thread-the-needle, no-look, highlight-reel variety, but I'm concerned that we are going to see too many needless turnovers in between. Both have good court vision and seemed comfortable in the offense yesterday, but they both need to take care of the ball first and make flashy plays second.

I'm not sure that Omar was looking at the basket on his made three yesterday; maybe just before he released.
11-21-2014 08:09 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

The added muscle on all of last year's freshmen is evident. I'm sure a redshirt year with an added 15 lbs. will work wonders for Rowley.
11-21-2014 08:13 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
It looked like Tot was trying to show off against weaker competition. He had a couple of "no look" passes where he clearly should have looked. I didn't like that. I would have rather seen him try to take it to the hoop and dunk over them.

Glover would have been a real nice player for a smaller D2/3 school. Glad to have him as a walk on.
11-21-2014 08:15 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
It's hard to know what to take away from a game like this. Tony presumably had some goals in mind, things he wanted to work on -- and they probably weren't the same ones I would have chosen.

That said, a few thoughts:

- It was great to see the free throw situation improve so drastically over games 1 and 2. Hopefully that accuracy will continue when the pressure is back on.

- I thought Schalk had some nice moments, both in the high post (a couple times) and along the baseline. I'm assuming Tony was pleased as well, if he brought him to the postgame interviews as mentioned above. (Didn't hear it myself).

- While Marcus was Marcus, what I noticed was a lot of individual playmaking -- whether driving to the hoop or shooting long distance 3's. While that's certainly his game -- and we need it -- if I were Tony my goal for this game would have been to work on executing the offense and getting all the new guys more practice in running it against live opposition. I saw more of that later in the game with the reserves, but even the starters need some real-game work to gel.

Follow-up edit: I just watched the postgame interview video, and I think Tony obliquely made the same point: "I thought we shared the ball pretty well. I honestly think the last two groups probably played better offensively than our starters did. The ball gets stuck in our hands sometimes in that starting group. Those are things we’re learning and growing with right now." (No sign of Schalk in the video -- maybe he was on the radio interview?)
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 09:22 AM by Blow Gym rat.)
11-21-2014 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.