Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCG Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
UNCG Game Thread
Here's link to UNCG's write up on tonight's game. Has a link to a video feed...don't know whether it's pay or not.

Men’s Hoops Hosts UNCW Tuesday Night In Coliseum Opener
11-18-2014 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tommy Teke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uncw
RE: UNCG Game Thread
any word on what type of team uncg has this year ?
11-18-2014 12:55 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Tommy the article outlines that a bit....
11-18-2014 01:05 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
LiveStats is terrible.
11-18-2014 07:24 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

SoCon digital network is NICE. Why don't we have this in the CAA?
11-18-2014 07:33 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(11-18-2014 07:33 PM)82hawk Wrote:  SoCon digital network is NICE. Why don't we have this in the CAA?

There's a reason no one has "stolen" Tom Yeager from the CAA in the last 30 years....
11-18-2014 07:38 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

Getting killed on the boards again. Not sure who #30 is, but I like the way he goes after rebounds. Ced just hasn't been the same since Rendleman left. Gettys actually looks decent, and Ogbodo can't hang on to the ball. Big men aren't holding down the fort like we expected.
11-18-2014 08:22 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

Been watching the So Con video with UNCW audio. Lets see if we can put two halves together now.
11-18-2014 08:25 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

As our roster improves, it's easy to see how Keatts is going to be tough to beat. Really like our style of play.
11-18-2014 08:55 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Looks like we're going to win this but our D has got to be better in each 2nd half. We looked much better earlier in the game. Ponder and Sherwood really played great!
11-18-2014 09:22 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

And, I agree with you '82. Once UNCW gets all of those players next year, it will be awesome because he does play a fun style of ball.
11-18-2014 09:29 PM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

Keatts Postgame

11-19-2014 05:17 AM
Tommy Teke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uncw
Any win is a good win !!! Congrats to the team and coach Keats !!
11-19-2014 07:58 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

[Image: cedvsuncg.jpg]
(11-19-2014 07:58 AM)Tommy Teke Wrote:  Any win is a good win !!! Congrats to the team and coach Keats !!

Yep.

But there were a TON of turnovers. Got out-rebounded pretty badly. Foul troubles continue. And who would have thought that we would be needing Kevin Hickson to be giving quality minutes two games into the season?

Fantastic shooting overcame all of that. Get a few more things lined up, and this team can beat some folks along the way!
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 08:51 AM by 70shawk.)
11-19-2014 08:50 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-19-2014 08:50 AM)70shawk Wrote:  But there were a TON of turnovers. Got out-rebounded pretty badly. Foul troubles continue. And who would have thought that we would be needing Kevin Hickson to be giving quality minutes two games into the season?

The turnovers I imagine Coach Keatts can help us fix. Rebounding and depth not so much. We were counting on having Yemi to help us in both of those areas but now we're down to 11 bodies (5 in the post) in a fast-paced scheme. Gettys did an incredible job with his physical transformation but just plain doesn't fit the system Keatts wants to run.

We had a tremendous shooting night last night, coming off a season where we were near the bottom of the NCAA in FG %, which is awesome (And yet another indictment of Buzz). But it's not sustainable for long-term success, sadly. I'm optimistic we'll see improvement in all areas of the game over time.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 09:45 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
11-19-2014 09:42 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Some thoughts on the game.

The Bad

1. We still can't defend in a man to man. Looked far better in a zone. Their commentators noted this, yet we played a LOT of man.
2. Ced doesn't seem to thrive in this faster paced offense. He needs to develop a quick post move when he gets the ball. CJ gets rid of the ball quick on the get, and is scoring at the same pace as Ced. No way this should happen.
3. Rebounding I awful. Not sure why, but we lost the game on the boards to ODU, and almost lost this one there as well.
4. Ponder turned the ball over almost every time he was doubled in the 2nd. half. He's got to recognize sooner and get rid of the ball.
5. Ogbodo looks completely lost

The Good

1. Ponder was out of his mind. Hit everything from everywhere
2. Dylan is easily our best pure shooter. He seems to know it's going in, and at 6'9" he's hard to stop from the arc.
3. I thought Freddie looked the best in his career. As the season progresses, he is going to get better and better.
4. Hickson plays hard. Not a starter, but not bad off the bench. Not big enough to play canter though.
5. This system may take a few years to establish with recruits and transfers, but it seems we will finally have an identity. Coach Keatts oozes enthusiasm on the sidelines. Love his passion.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 11:28 AM by 82hawk.)
11-19-2014 10:52 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-19-2014 10:52 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Some thoughts on the game.

The Bad

1. We still can't defend in a man to man. Looked far better in a zone. Their commentators noted this, yet we played a LOT of man.

3. Rebounding is awful. Not sure why, but we lost the game on the boards to ODU, and almost lost this one there as well.

The rebounding will likely get even worse if we go primarily zone.

We need Cedrick to take on Keith Rendleman's Moses Malone-esque maniacal desire for rebounds. That or we need Yemi. Otherwise I just don't see it getting much better. Gettys only pulled in 4 rebounds in 26 minutes last night so he needs to get better for us also.

All in all you take road wins when you can get them and hopefully the squad progresses in time.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 12:23 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
11-19-2014 12:22 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

I agree about Ponder and his problems while being doubled last night but often he was being "mugged" especially on drives inside. I've seen folks get 5 years in the pen for less than what was done in some cases. Refs (especially the young guy ) seemed to swallow their whistles when it came to calls against uncg in the 2nd half.
Also cudos to Talley for calmly knocking down his free throws as they put him on the line while playing catch up.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 01:17 PM by Proff.)
11-19-2014 01:13 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
Rebounding is half desire and half fundamental.They should teach them how to check off and not ball watch.It has been a problem in college basketball for a long time and is made worse by the three ball.Players just don't seem to get into anybody when the ball is shot and checking off out of a zone is a real nightmare.Syracuse has it figured out for the most part but when the ball goes long or sideways off the rim it is very tough.I also don't like to see guards jacking the corner three ball and leaving the whole court wide open for the back iron board that flies into the night.I think Jackson and Spruill have to help on the boards but they can't get caught below the line trying to get offensive rebounds or they take a chance of getting beat long.It appears to be more of a defensive rebounding issue with this team.
11-19-2014 01:19 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

For what good it may be, UNCW was 2 1/2 point dogs, and we won by 12.

But, I can also tell you that the best team that we have played to date is the practice squad. Those 4 transfers are better than any player from both teams last night. Scrimmaging those guys every week can only make our regulars better. Even so, we are not going to out talent any teams this year, save St. Andrews. We have to play hungry and not just walk through the season. And it is still a new system to our guys. They are still missing assignments right now, and I believe that part will improve. We are especially thin down low, which means we will see more zone than Keatts wants to play. Foul trouble will dictate a lot of that.
11-19-2014 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.